Newberg, OR
George Fox University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend George Fox University

Ameena

There are three things that I would advise my high school self to be aware of during college and when making the transition into life afterwards. Here is what I would tell my younger self. First, race and gender will challenge you. Since birth you have faced the sad reality that is true for a majority of your people. Black women are stereotypically viewed as ignorant, adolescent mothers, raised in absent father homes. You are seen as incapable of utilizing proper English, and are looked down upon when you excel in the “white man's’” world. College will be no different. In every classroom you will be one of a few if not the only one of your kind. The exterior will cause confusion among students and staff who will see you in one way and look at you in shock when you tell them of your dual degree in Studio Art and Global Business. Questions will be raised from the texture of your hair or the use of Ebonics, but don’t become frustrated or lose heart. A bond, as strong as a sisterhood, will be formed among a group of women who look just like you and it will last for a lifetime. Second, learn to take risks. Life will turn upside down with decisions that you will have to make about people, desires, and interests. Always remember that you are more than any label people assign you, and if you have the opportunity to explore the world, impact lives, form new relationships or discover a new part of yourself, do it. Don’t allow yourself to be stuck inside of a box, because there is more depth to you than you currently know. Take risks in relationships, always having the understanding that some will die and others will carry on. Dive deeply with people, and never allow your fear of vulnerability or pain to hinder you. Lastly, remember that everyone’s journey is different. As you near the end of your college career you will see three paths that students choose to take. The choices are marriage, graduate school, or a career. Some choose one option, others all three. Remember that you have a life journey that will never look the same as anyone else’s. If each of us wasted our energy focusing on the direction everyone else is headed we would miss out on our very own adventure. Celebrate the success of those around you, whatever they may be, and cherish those moments with them. However, recognize that your life is and will be filled with it’s own momentous occasions. As you leave the world of books, exams, papers, and projects embrace all of the changes that come your way and know that in the end everything will be alright.

Kiana
The experience is what you make it.

The experience is what you make it.

George Fox prides itself on community. The central theme is to support, encourage, and grow together. With this mission, there is good and bad that comes as a result. For starters, it is encouraged that students get involved on campus in things that interest them. There are a number of clubs and opportunities to get involved. At times, it seems like there's almost too much happening on campus to really be invested anywhere (or at least that's my experience), but it sure does make up for the lack of things to do in the small town of Newberg surrouding the campus. The associated student Community (student body) often hosts activities for students to attend. Things like dances, and concerts happen a handful of times during the semester. At times it can almost seem like a high school setting since they chose to do things that resemble a high school student body. The school has a life style contract that prohibits students from smoking, drinking, and having premarital sex. Although the university encourages students to align their lifestyles with the contract, each students experience may have their own rules about following it. On campus, most of the students follow the contract (or at least do a good job of hiding it if they are breaking it), but off campus students really decide if they chose to obey or not. In just my first year I have had a lot of opportunities including two on campus job, a position as an RA for the following year, and a great internship for the summer following my first year. I believe that it's not really enough to just show up to class at George Fox University, or really at any university nowadays. In order to make the most of one's academic experience, it's important to value what it is one is paying for. Show up for office hours, ask questions, connect with staff and faculty, and opportunities will come. George Fox is especially set up in a way that makes that effort as easy as possible.

justin

Start studying while in high school so it is easier once in college. Buy all of the books you need as soon as possible so you can start reading them to give yourself an advantage in the class. Also don't be afraid to talk to proffesors as soon as you dont understand something. Make freinds with the smartest people in your class so you can study with them and they are more likely to help you. If social media becomes a distraction delete the accounts neeeded to eliminate the distraction.

How some of the people treat athletes and the lack of school spirtit.

Peter

I would inform myself to create better study habits, go to community college for two years, and make sure all the classes I take are transferable to any college. This would allow me time to become accustomed to college life, save a few thousand dollars and keep me from taking the same classes over.

I wish that I knew how the credits would transfer so I would not be so suprised.

Well I am atransfer student, and my credits did not transfer over the way I thought they would. So I still have alot of general classes to take.

Victoria

Never be afraid to fail. Fear of failure can hold you back more than any other insecurity. You will fail, but through these failures you will grow stronger and achieve greater successes than you could imagine. With this knowledge, be encouraged to go out and try new things, embrace new adventures whole-heartedly, don't hold anything back. Your courage will pay off. If you do succeed, be proud of your hard work. If you fail, still be proud of your hard work, hold your head high and learn from your mistakes. Without failure and adversity you won't grow in character or gain the strength you will need for future. So don't be ashamed when you fall short of your goals, but instead take pride in the knowledge you've gained that will help you learn the secrets to future success.

The worst thing about George Fox University is the mud that accumulates in the fields during the rainy season. I wish I could find a greater flaw with the university, but I enjoyed my entire experience at the school (apart from getting mud on my shoes). The campus is beautiful, but due to the school's location in the Pacific Northwest, there is a lot of rain and this leads to a lot of mud on campus.

The school motto is "be known" and at George Fox University that is exactly what you can expect. From the moment you move onto the campus students and staff are there for you, wanting to build relationships and help you settle in to your new life. There is such an incredible sense of community on campus, you are never alone and everyone wants to help you succeed; and because of this support, students do succeed.

Anh

I was homeschooled oversees before returning to USA and entering college. If I could go back, I would tell my high school senior self to: "Breathe, and take baby steps! It will start out rough. You will get a headache, experience an emotional roller coaster, and maybe even vomit. Just go with the flow, check the items off the list: move in, smile and wave, attend the all freshman events, and get lost around campus for hours. Slowly, you'll get the hang of it, the butterflies will go away. You'll love the adventure so much that you won't even miss your families and friends. Initiate conversations and consciously spend more time with the people you see often around campus, including your floormates. Soon, you won't even need to say 'Excuse me' whenever you rip out a fart. Devising a four-year plan? Finding a part-time job? Managing bank accounts? Don't fret! Ask lots and lots of questions (but try not to make too much mistakes, life doesn't come with an undo button) Finally, relax and conquer college one day at a time!"

The worst thing about my school is the changes made within the school. Changes are good, but changes are way too constant. Also, whenever the administration decides to change something, it doesn't present the idea to the student body (the one who the changes will be implemented on), but only to the contributors (the ones paying for the changes).

The most frustrating thing about my school is that eventhough it's a private university, everyone is so open-minded that even the blatant rule-breakers won't be held responsible for their behaviors by the adminstration.

Anh

Besides being a private Christian school, I chose George Fox because it integrates the new and the old. It always seeks to advance the facility and education system to provide the leading quality of classes for students. At the same time, it keeps the traditions that had established the university in the beginning. There is always a sense of respect for the founding fathers/mothers, and the students are always well-informed and the teachers express the good morals and values of a respectable Christian.

My school is diverse, extremely diverse. Not only that, it welcomes this multi-generational, multi-cultural mix. There is almost no discrimination, excluding the few people who aren't as open-minded. This diversity makes for a pretty interesting school environment. The events are a mix between American and foreign traditions. The food is also diverse. Most of all, the students of course, are very different from each other, to the point that we must learn to be open-minded to even make friends, which is always a good thing!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would make sure to get in to full detail about college life. I would tell myself things like actually save my money and make sure to sign up for many scholarships before starting school that way I wouldnt have to struggle as much. I would make sure to graduate high school with a strong and high GPA and make sure all my classes are in good shape. I would also tell myself to be more confident and not be shy to meet new people and make sure I am comfortable around my peers. I would also make sure to have a very good relationship with my teachers and other workers at the school like the dean and financial aid services.

Denny

Helpful, but not very approachable.

Helpful, but not very approachable.

Make an effort to get to know a lot of people. Quality relationships are extremely important, but it's also good to know a large quantity of people.

Someone looking to expand their mind with new ideas and practical knowledge.

George Fox University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.