Atlanta, GA
Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus

Kyle

Someone who listens to their heart more than their brain. A person who doesn't think logically has no place here, but that person must also be social enough to avoid becoming an outcast. If one does not like science, technology, engineering and mathematics, with particular emphasis on engineering and science, then that person should not attend this school.

I would tell myself to take AP Biology instead of AP Literature, since biology credit is accepted at Georgia Tech. In addition, I would encourage myself to look for companies in the chemical industry that allow high school students to work for them. That job experience would help immensely while searching for internships at college. Clubs are another important factor, whether they are at high school or as a student member in some national organization, because they help build personal and professional relationships. Scholarships are probably the biggest factor of them all, so I would plead with my past self to look for more of them during his senior year. HOPE and Zell Miller are nice, but engineering grade point averages always suffer, so it would be critical to find other big scholarships that are only offered to high school students. Beyond academics, I would tell my past self to shave his face more, get a shorter haircut, and date more so that he was not so far behind in socializing with others.

Joris

A rich (abeit difficult) source of knowledge that I hope to use to my greatest advantage in order to pursue my dreams.

I suppose the best piece of advice I could give myself as a high school senior is not to assume that my grades will remain at the same level I maintained during high school. It is difficult to go from making A's and B's to making B's and C's, but that's the way it goes at this school. My high school may have been academically rigorous, but college is simply a different matter entirely. It is easy to be discouraged when first facing a drop in your grades, but it is important to remember that everyone is in the same boat as you are, and that things will get better as you adapt to your new surroundings.

The most frustrating thing for me is that I very rarely get any private time to myself. I value time to myself, and with so many people in one place, not to mention having to share a dorm room, I find it hard to get some alone time. However, after my freshman year, more housing options open up, so I should be able to get some more privacy in the next academic year.

Zion

An ever-improving institute of education that harshly challenges its' students with a tough workload and strenuous academic culture, while subsequently rewarding them with the great achievement of having the highly respected Tech degree; proclaimed here as the "MIT of the south", Tech has created a susprisingly diverse environement with students of disparate backgrounds from all over the world, with all of us working to experience the deserving jubilance that comes with vocalizing the well-known and exclamatory phrase #IGotOut.

As a high school senior, I was very excited about going to college and leaving home, but there are definitely some tips that I would give my past self on how to prepare. One of the things that I regret the most about my senior year is not applying for as many scholarships as I could have. I received scholarship money from Georgia Tech, which I am extremely grateful for, but otherwise I definitely should have taken more initiative myself and searched for more opportunities. Another tip I would give myself is to focus on managing money and time better and more efficiently. When you're at school, you have so much more freedom than you did in high school with your class schedule along with more free time during the day, which can be hurtful if you tend to put things off. Google Calendar has been a godsend for me this year, as I have my entire weekly schedule planned out, from my eating schedule to when I attend club meetings. Also, I would stress the importance of relationships not only with your classmates, but also with your teachers because they help immensely with studying, recommendations, and future endeavors.

My school's greatest attributes are its' educational assistance and its' ability to provide numerous incredible opportunities. With all of the help on campus, including: professor's office hours, free tutoring, PLUS sessions, writing/communications lab, math and science help desks, and the Teaching Assistants. There is always help readily accessible if you need it and at an academically rigorous school like Tech, it helps a lot. Also, Tech's reputation allows for students to succeed outside of the classroom as major companies, like Google, Microsoft, and Boeing to name a few, are fervently recruiting us.

Matthew

Georgia Tech is consistently ranked among the top schools for engineering.

Georgia Tech is consistently ranked among the top schools for engineering.

I would tell myself to not be afraid of trying new things. It is college, a new start, a chance to be someone who you never expected to be. Join some clubs, go out and explore campus, or even join a fraternity. College can be intimidating at times, but it is not supposed to be easy. There will be times when you feel overwhlemed and just want to give up, but you cannot be a quitter. Pick yourself up and get right back to work. While you should do your best to maintain a good GPA, but do not kill yourself trying to do so. And in the end, have fun. You only experience college life once.

The parking siutation. It costs $400 a semester to have a car, and the campus police issue tickets for any reason they can find. I believe it is a scam they are running.

Addison

Georgia Tech is unique in the opportunities that it provides me. It is more highly ranked than any of the other schools that I applied to and, as such, has presented me with opportunities that I know are not available at the other schools I applied to.

I brag about Georgia Tech's high rate of return. I am paying out-of-state tuition and I think it is good for people to know that I am getting a degree that I will hopefully be able to do something with.

Everybody is going to be telling you how important what you are learning in high school is. It's not. When you go to college, your professors are going to teach you what they want you to know and, most likely, it will have nothing to do with what they are teaching you now. When you get to school, take initiative. Nobody is going to take care of you; you must take care of yourself and try to get ahead on your own. Also, dump that loser. You'll meet better people soon enough.

Angad

My favorite campus tradition is going to the Georgia Tech vs. UGA football games. The "good, old-fashioned hate" is a big rivalry and is always fun to go to the stadium just to feel the uproar of the crowd. It's absolutely insane being in the crowd for such a spectacle. It's a feeling of a lifetime, and I got to witness it three times already. One more time--final year.

There are so many popular student activities that it would be impossible to find something that you don't like. It's an inviting campus and a place where you will find something to connect with. Trust me. I was very scared when I initially went, but the people are very pleasant and it's awesome to be here.

The academics can be very challenging. Be prepared for some really tough study sessions and all-nighters. The professors are very good, but you should also be smart to pick the right professors. That part comes right before registration and you need to do a little bit of research to find out who the good professors. While the classes are challenging, they are not impossible and after some hard work, the classes start easing up. Like the saying is: it's not tough to get in, it's tough to stay in.

Zephania

The priority of the professors. They place research over their students most of the time.

Don't be afraid to join clubs or approach professors in office hours. They are a lot nicer and more helpful one-on-one than in a class setting

Someone who is100% morally opposed to alcohol and does not thrive on academic competition

Laura

It's okay to ask for help. Even though you are a very independent person the classes you are about to sign up for are on a whole new difficulty level than you have ever experienced before. Take advantage of every opportunity you have to get ahead whether it be tutoring, review sessions, or help desk. Never underestimate a class at Georgia Tech. Make friends with professors and all kinds of students. Your peers may have the same problems as you do and you can solve them together. The more friends you make the better you will feel when you are looking for help on something. You are about to enter an extremely hard school that will challenge you mentally and emotionally. Do not let the difficulty of the classes get you down. It's not how good you do, it's how much better you do than everyone else.

The difficulty of the the classes at Georgia Tech is insane. Some classes are going to be hard no matter what but some classes are just made so much more difficult than they need to be. It is really frustrating when you don't know whether you are going to pass your classes until like the very end because basically all of the professors wait until the last second to put grades up.

I wish I would've known more about greek life before coming to this school. It is very prominent here. Also I would've liked to know that I could wait to buy my books until classes actually started. Some professors don't even require them which would have saved me a lot of money first semester.

Kate

Georgia Tech is infuriating, exhausting, exhilarating, challenging, frustrating, crazy, and intense, and I am incredibly proud to be a Yellow Jacket and a Helluva Engineer!

I would give myself this advice: Do exactly what you're planning to do, because that lead me to a rewarding and fulfilling college life. Go out and make as many friends as you can, explore everything, study hard, and stay balanced. Remember that you're among the best of the best, and that the average here is really smart in the real world. Oh, and avoid 8am classes! They're not as "late morning" as they sound to a young woman who gets up at 6:15, trust me!

I brag about how academically challenging my school is and how successful our students and alumni are-- after Georgia Tech, the working world is fun and relaxing!

Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.