Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus

Victoria

Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) is a pretty average university compared to other state schools. Once known for being a big party college, it seems as though that raucous reputation is fading and giving way to a more academically focused front. Though parties and such can be found, the majority of students on IUP's campus focus wholeheartedly on their academic careers and make the most of their college lives.

Rebecca

IUP is a very big party school, while there are other activities on the weekends the main event is the parties. If your not into partying, then you are kinda stuck. My major personally doesn't have the greatest professors, they aren't very helpful and there isn't very many of them. However, they try their best and college is only 4 years of your life.

Robert

Overall I'm pleased with my first semester. The dorm room and food could be a lot better, but they are survivable. Some classes are challenging, but here are tutors and assistance available. the local community is great and there is plenty to do. Renovations are ongoing and the campus is up to date.

Priya

It a good college to study and has very good teachers who actually care about your success, therefore don't be lazy and study. Also, join some college clubs and enjoy living on the campus and that is the best way to make friends. Overall it's a great college and has basic facilities that student need but have to make the food better and provide a counter for vegetarian and not vegetarian so it can be easier for the students who don't eat meat.

Bryanna

It's a great campus, the students and professors are easy not get along with. The library is always a great place to got to, to work or study. Sporting events are always the best.

Jacob

As a freshman, i was extremely impressed with the overall environment of the campus. While all colleges have their issues with partying and other such situations, the campus handles it all with proper action. My professors are always available to help out when needed, and are very active other clubs and organizations on the campus. I am truly glad i chose to come here, and i am even more excited to see what the rest of my career as a Crimson Hawk has in store for me!

Going to IUP has easily been the best decision I've ever made. I have made lifelong friends and truly grew as a person in my short time there. I'm a rising Sophomore and IUP has offered me so many opportunities. This fall, I will be a double major in Speech Pathology and Music Theatre. It is so rare where schools allow students to do double majors in such specific and unique areas of study. IUP allows students to double major, add minors and extend their interests during their time at IUP. The food isn't great but the places in town are delicious and a great way to get away from eating on campus. The dorms are beautiful and are very well kept. I'm only one year into my IUP experience and I cannot wait to see how the next three years will be!!

Elle

IUP is an excellent school. The campus is beautiful and it's just the right size for me - not too big, not too small. Also, the people are very friendly, and the Oak Grove is the best place to be on a sunny day.

Casey

IUP is a great school for everybody. The academics are great and every professor I've ever had has been pleasurable and friendly, as well as reliable and always free to talk beyond class hours. The school itself is beautiful, there's always a place to go to study, relax, meet new people, and hangout. The library is my all time favorite place to go, it's very bright and colorful and motivates me to do my work. Classroom size varies depending on what class you're in. Liberal studies courses typically are held in a lecture hall with approximately 150 students, while classes in my major typically have around 50, give or take. Campus housing and food options are great as well. I lived on campus for two years and I loved everything about it. There's tons of food options, and I love having a suite with a private bathroom. Indiana is a very small town, so there isn't that much to do on the weekends off campus, which I why I typically stay on campus. There are parties happening every weekend as well as on the weekdays, but what college doesn't have parties? The students that go here are extremely sociable and friendly, and I'm so thankful for everyone I have met here. I love IUP and am so blessed that I chose the right school.

Olivea

Indiana University of Pennsylvania is a pretty good school to attend. The professors are really great and there are a ton of opportunities and resources available to help students with their undergraduate and graduate careers. The climate is heavily Caucasian, and there have been a few discriminatory incidents that have occurred in my time here as an uprising senior. The President doesn't seem to be much help in these instances, however, there are plenty of student organizations dedicated to fostering a positive and inclusive environment for all students on and off campus.

Tyler

IUP is overall a very good school, especially for how cheap it is compared to others in the area. The campus facilities, especially the library, are well-maintained and full of helpful and generally nice people and staff. Nearly all of the professors I have dealt with have been very motivated and helpful to all students, no matter what kinds of troubles they might be having in class. I'd give Indiana University of Pennsylvania a solid 8/10.

kendall

I love Indiana University of Pennsylvania as a University. Everyone is extremely friendly and the professors really do care. Its a beautiful campus in a small town, but there is always something to do. Indiana University of Pennsylvania has a variety of clubs and activities where you can meet some really cool people and have a fun experience.

Daniel

Indiana University of Pennsylvania is a great school with an amazing campus. it is a great place to meet individuals with the same goals and drive that you possess. The campus includes escorts for the individuals who feel more comfortable walking around campus with an officer. The dorms are reasonably sized and are comfortable.

Quadir

IUP is a good school from what I seen and experienced and also heard. The sports program is amazing and I can’t wait to be apart of it. I also like how they offer my major of biology and have sent me multiple letters including my financial aid letter to tell what and how much I need to pay

Lucy

Indiana University of Pennsylvania is a big family. Everyone in this family is very passionate. I love this University which brings me so many good surprises and unforgettable memories. I like playing soccer, so I joint a soccer club where I practice skills, which enriched my after-class life.

sophie

IUP is a great school with a great atmosphere and great people. Faculty members are usually very helpful, there is something for everyone to do here, and so far I have learned so much. I have grown not just academically, but mentally, emotionally, and socially. I have not had trouble making friends, and almost everyone I have come in contact with has been more than welcoming and kind.

Victoria

I always feel safe and classes are never too much to handle, even with band. I like the size and location and the feel of town. There are plenty of opportunities for arts and activities on and off campus. Everything is within a nice walking distance (I can walk across campus within 15-20 minutes).

its awesome

Diamond

I love Indiana University of Pennsylvania, I enjoy partaking in the different events on campus. The social life is amazing there are many groups over two-hundred and fifty groups that students can get involved in. The classes are great you can engage and have many conversations with you professor. it is just amazing overall,

Allison

I honestly love IUP. There is so much more to this campus than what the media makes it out to be. The campus is beautiful especially the Oak Grove, which I personally get to walk through everyday. The majority of students are actively involved in some extracurricular activity. Everyday I see a new club or organization active in the Oak Grove. I am constantly being informed of outside opportunities by my professors as well as many major related opportunities offered from the school as well. The students here are very well taken care of.

Stefanie

It is a great campus. Lots to do on campus. I love the track and field team. Campus is student friendly and lots of opportunities to exercise. Campus is located where within a hour you can go to Pittsburgh or Altoona to shop. Lots of work opportunities are available.

Janan

I love being on campus and being apart of everyday activities. Very wholesome feels like I can let go and take the world by storm. There really is no place like Indiana Pa. You find every type of person that just wants to be your friend. There is no way you could never feel like you're not home.

bree

The college is a very diverse college. There's not just people of a specific race, there are a lot of different ethinicites on campus so there are so many people to learn from. The counselors are very helpful, they are one of the reason i've decided to even attend IUP. They've made me feel comfortable in ways that other colleges didn't attempt to.

Caitlyn

I love the IUP main campus. There is so much to do wether it’s football games, extracurricular activities , Greek life ( which I am apart of), and/or clubs pertaining to your department. The town itself is pretty great. It’s not too big or too small and there are tons of restaurants to go eat at. We are only two hours from Pittsburgh so it’s great to know that we are so close to a big city.

Kyah

I think the school is a great school. I reason for me attending is because they have a great nursing/ health program. It is easy to get to classes and staff persons are generally nice and very understanding. Student life is pretty good also. I feel safe at school too.

Kmar

STOP THE RACIST COPS ON CAMPUS

Rebekah

As a transfer student from a Penn State branch campus, IUP doesn't even compare to how wonderful of a school Penn State is. Still, IUP has become home for me in a few short months. I love the medium sized campus vibe and how close everything is to campus. Everything I need is within a few miles, and Pittsburgh is only an hour away.

jessica

Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) is an awesome school to attend. It's the perfect size; small enough that you see some familiar faces but big enough that you can really branch out and find your niche. Its located in a cute town with plenty of places to go eat, a nice movie theater, and some nice local stores. The classes are varied and very interesting, theres something for everyone. IUP offers tons of majors to pick from and a lot of clubs; anything from fun and laid back to academic clubs. IUP has a diversified community and a ton of chances to experience something new. There are a lot of student worker jobs to pick from also. Lastly, the iconic Oak Grove is beautiful and an awesome place to relax on campus!

Gavin

I have visited friends on several occasions. I meet the professors and other students who are now friends. The professors are helpful & friendly. I too, applied to the Honors college (where most of my friends are) and am looking forward to this new chapter of my life.

Merkelly

When I first visited IUP, I fell in love, and not only because I was already accepted into it. IUP has so many loving people who accept you, and will look after you even when they don't know you. They are friendly and kind. The academics take another part in how great this school is, because it took me forever to find a school that has the major and opportunities that I want. Since I want to become a doctor, specifically a psychiatrist, IUP gives students the chance to graduate early if you're a pre-med student (in which I am), and apply to one of the medical schools they are partnered up with. Doing so I can quickly, with hard work, do what I want in the future at a much faster and better pace. I'm thankful that I found this school.

Susan

I really like IUP, it is a very nice school and the professors are GREAT. This is my first year here but i have gained a very good impression and could not imagine going to school anywhere else! The community surrounding the school is quiet, mostly rural, which I love. All of the buildings are together so you don't have to take a bus to your next class. The school is absolutely beautiful and it meant for me!

It is a beautiful campus. The class sizes were perfect for me and the more rural setting in the town of Indiana was perfect for me. The professors are typically available and if they are not they are always willing to meet with you outside of their office house. Overall it is a very good school to put your money into, I have throughly enjoyed my time here.

Kayleigh

IUP is an awesome school, it's big but it's not too big. Classroom size is decent and you can always talk to the professors after. There's a lot of activities that the student council puts together so you can always have some fun. There's lots of sport teams or clubs to join. It's a school that cares and isn't too​ expensive to attend.

Alayna

I love attending IUP. The professors are very willing to work with you and encourage taking full advantage of office hours. Everyone is friendly, and differing views are generally respected. There are many opportunities to enrich both academic and personal life; coming to IUP has been a very good experience so far.

Tyler

IUP is a pretty great school. Theres a variety of classes to choose from, you always have a ton of options especially for general educations credits. The class sizes are great, most of my classes have about 30 students. I've yet to have a bad professor experience, they've all been so nice. The food is pretty great with many mainstream options such as chick-fil-a, subway and starbucks a long with a ton of IUP vendors. Also it seems as if theres always something going on, you'll never be bored!

Karli

IUP is a very nice university, and all about the inclusion of others. There are a variety of activities to choose from, and the professors are caring and involved as well. The buildings are very clean and well maintained. help is only ever a call away.

Kristy

I never expected to love IUP as much as I do. I came here not knowing what to expect but it has become my home away from home. The campus is absolutely beautiful, the education is top-notch, and the people are amazing. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Nathaniel

My overall opinion of Indiana University of Pennsylvania is very good. I really enjoyed my time there studying culinary arts and baking/pastry. The class sizes were small so we had close interaction with our teachers. As well they had many activities that we could do in our free time as well as volunteering opportunities we could take part in. I am very excited to continue my education there on my path to getting a Nutrition degree.

Dominique

IUP is a campus that many people have fallen in love with. Though I wouldn't necessarily say I'm one of those people, I can definitely say that I can understand the appeal. From my experience, the professors are great and always do what they can to make sure you're reaching your full potential. They have so many organizations that you can join, so you'll never be able to say there's nothing there that fits you.

Rebekah

It is a great place to learn. There is plenty to do on campus, from clubs to sports, to just general events. The campus and town are very walkable, but there are also buses if you don't want to walk. The food at the dining locations on campus are very good, and there are plenty of fast food places and restaurants around campus.

Bailey

Every time I say I go to Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), they have some remark to make about the party scene. Yes, IUP has it's fair share of parties, but so does any other college in this country. College social life is what you make it. I, personally, joined a sorority to become more social and more involved in my community. Although this was my decision, it was not the decision of everyone on campus. I have a very close friend of mine who does not involve herself in the party scene, but instead chooses to get involved in the LGBTQ community on campus. There are other people who are there for sports and only sports. College is what you make it. the academics at IUP are absolutely incredible. The professors are extremely knowledgable, passionate, and helpful. Let's be honest here, not every teacher is going to bend over backwards for every single one of their students, but I have yet to encounter a professor who wouldn't do anything for their students. Speaking as an Art Education major in the College of Fine Arts, I can say that the arts on campus are incredible. There are so many opportunities on campus for young artists to share their work. There are always students playing music in the Oak Grove, the big open field in the middle of campus where everyone likes to hang out. Everyone is very friendly and it is an overall safe campus. I, personally, have never had any trouble walking home alone from the art building late at night. I only have one complaint, and it is that the walls in the dorm buildings are too thin! I could hear my neighbor sneeze. I think that since that is my biggest complaint about IUP, that says a lot. I knew from the moment I stepped on campus that it was my home. There is always something to do on Philadelphia street, and the "townie," which is what we call Indiana County natives, are very friendly. I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I love my college!

Rachael

From the first time I toured the campus until now I am still in love with it. I feel very safe when walking around campus as there are many blue-light emergency telephones around campus that connect directly to campus police and automatically dispatch them to the scene. There are many things to get involved in at IUP and the professors care about making sure their students are receiving the best grade the teacher thinks they should receive as well as helping their students to succeed.

Chamari

IUP is a very involved campus with great opportunities. The class sizes can vary, depending on what major you are. Being a music major, the music program is amazing. There are many clubs, sports, and activities to become involved in. We also love and support our sports teams.

Anais

It is a very beautiful and spacious campus. The dorms aren't like your typical college dorm. They're brand new and it gives you your own bathroom, decent sized closet and a fairly big living room. Although the food could use some more help. They should have more options and better hours in the dining halls. Other than that, there isn't really nothing to complain about.

Alaska

I absolutely love going to IUP. Sure, there are problems, as there is with any mass grouping of people run mostly on bureaucracy. Those problems don't outshine the amazing opportunities and benefits to going to this school. It's cheap, every facility is kept in really good shape, the professors and all other staff members really care about the students and their well being, and the entire environment promotes learning and critical thinking. The biggest problem, as with any university, is the people. All the problems I've encountered with the college are based solely around the student body's lack of enthusiasm about learning and general disregard for the learning of others. I don't blame that on the university though. You can provide a ton of twenty-somethings from all around the world with the best teachers and facilities ever and there will still be a divide between people who want to learn and further their education and people who are generally bored with the college experience, just trying to get a degree for a high-paying job. I'd like to think that I am one of the former, so I really, really enjoy being on campus and all of the little interesting things that the small town of Indiana, PA has to offer. It's an amazing college experience and I would highly recommend anyone to join this amazing community of bright, young scholars.

Amber

Indiana University of Pennsylvania has an absolutely beautiful campus. The students and profs are welcoming and despite the location, there is a lot to do. But I have to say that they are academically average. I do not find the school challenging due to their lowering of their standards for admission. Overall, IUP is a decent university.

Alyssa

Personally, I love Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I love the campus, the housing, and the safety. I feel at home here. There is always someone reaching their hands out, in case you need help. The professors are very nice, respectful, and always available. My overall experience of IUP has been amazing and I plan to attend for the next 3 years.

Marcus

I have always loved IUP ever since my older sibling enrolled in the computer science program. The campus and the atmosphere called to me instantaneously. Now that I'm a student here I can safely say my instincts put me on the right path. The teachers here are well informed, caring, and want the best for their students. The campus has an active society and I'm so glad to be apart of it!

Victor

Its a very nice easy to get around campus. Class sizes are small which is great for hands on learning. The environment and atmosphere around campus is very lively. The campus has a big library which is great when you need do do research for a paper or presentation.

Amy

I chose to come to IUP for many reasons, especially because of the wonderful programs they have to offer. Their Teacher Education Program is one of the best programs in the state of Pennsylvania. Also, I had three family members that went to IUP to get their Bachelor's Degree, and one family member that furthered their education and got a Master's and Doctorate Degree from IUP. They shared their experiences with me and I thought "Wow, I have to visit that university". IUP felt like home to me from the moment I set foot on campus. At the end of the tour, I knew that IUP was the school that I wanted to attend. IUP has so many ways for students to get involved, whether it be a club sports team, a job as a student worker, or joining a club or organization. IUP has over 300 student organizations and it is exciting to learn about them and join the ones that interest you. Nothing will ever compare to my years at IUP.