Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Bridget

Its big yet small in each student is noticed and not lost in the crown!

Its big yet small in each student is noticed and not lost in the crown!

I would tell myself that it is not all about fun. You definitly have to work hard first and reward your self with fun. I would remind myself that every grade counts and you might think that these are just classes and i can do better next time. Every grade counts from freshman year all the way up till you graduate. They all determine your GPA. I would also tell myself not to choose the school based upon your friends. Pick what school you feel that you will strive at.

I love the energy of the school. I love that everyone here wants to learn! It has a very positive atmosphere. Classes are small and personal yet it is a big school!

Ryan

The best thing about Marshall is the very small campus. Every location on campus is walkable in 5 minutes or less, and that makes sleeping to the last minute attainable every day. One thing I'd change about Marshall is making on campus housing nicer, and only the freshman dorms and Commons (which is very selective) are nice. The school is a decent size, and even though there are nearly 10,000 students, it feels like I know everyone in my class who is a residential student. Marshall is slightly more selective school than WVU, the states flagship university, but it is West Virginia, so people aren't exactly aware that its a decent school. I spent a solid portion of time in the new student rec center, which is a state of the art facility with a nice pool, gym, and bball courts. It is where the intramural games are held. I also spent a fair bit of time at off campus apartments with friends, even though I lived in the dorms. Huntington is far from a college town, and is almost completely deserted on the weekends minus out of staters. More than half of the school's population are commuters. Marshall administration is easy to deal with. the biggest controversies surround the fraternity/sorority scene, and when a frat gets kicked off campus or suspended, everyone hears about it. There is a fair bit of school pride, especially for the football team, where almost every student and Huntington resident attends the games. An unusual thing about Marshall is the lack of party scene. Frat row can be seen completely dead on a Saturday night at 12. Most frequent student complaints are about the bad cafeteria food and lack of things to do in Huntington besides drink. Huntington is an eye-sore of a city.

WASP would be a way to describe the student body racially. There is a small portion of black students and they are mostly student athletes, or at least get that stigma. Socio-economically, mostly low-middle class, or middle class students. When our parents salaries drunkenly came up in conversation I told them my parents made 150k, and they thought I was filthy rich. Campus crusades, or the religious group are an in-your-face religious zealots, and get a really bad rep, and their presence is known. Someone who would feel out of place at Marshall would be an upper-class northerner not willing to accept people. Students attire ranges from band tees to class to polos and acid stained, trendy jeans. There is a fair amount of stereotypical southern preps, wearing plaid shorts and vineyard vines, and also Abercrombie, puca shell wearing frat boys. Girls wear skirts, jeans, tanks, and dress nicely for class. Sometimes they'll wear sweats when they're hung over on a Friday. Different cliques of students don't normally interact. Four tables in the dining hall: Down to earth kids- a mix of high school athletes, stoners, and party dudes, Jocks- football/soccer players donning their sports Under Armour and sweats, Nerds- kids who bring laptops to the cafe and study, Frat dudes- often obnoxious and loud in their frats letters or popped collars Most students are from WV, but many come from bordering states and some from Jersey, PA, NY. Marshall is mostly democrat even though WV is historically Republican.

The stereotypes aren't accurate. Marshall certainly has its fair share of rednecks, but most of the population are everyday, down to earth kids. Alot of students get border state scholarships from neighboring Kentucky and Ohio, which are similar culturally to West Virginia. There is also a decent percentage of Jersey kids and kids from the north east who fit right in. I was only called a yankee a few times.

Classes are very intimate, about 20 per class and some professors will know your name. Best classes are the business classes, they have a strong business department. Least favorite class was Intro to the University Freshman year, where attendance was required and we'd have to share how college was going for the first semester. Class participation varies by class. English classes, and classes that require a more hands on approach, people will participate, whereas a lecture based class like Sociology will be pure listening. There is a lack of intellectual environment. People can't wait to get out of class. There is also a lack of student competition, and most kids are under-achievers. Sports management is a unique major, and they cross register with business department which is very strong. Marshall has a Career Services Center which helps you land a job shortly after college. It is supposedly very helpful your junior and senior years.

The most popular groups on campus would be intramural/club sports. The religious groups are popular as well. Club lacrosse is a fun sport, and coming from a highly competitive lacrosse team in high school, and in a hot bed for lacrosse (northeast), I was one of the best players on the team and enjoy my experience even though we aren't great. Road trips are a blast, and most do it to stay in shape, like ex-football players, and we have a good time. Athletic events like Football and bball are very popular, and there's a decent tailgate scene for football. Drama department is good from what I see. There is a really nice theater. The dating scene okay, but at least in my experience it was mostly random hook-ups. Met my closest friends through my roommate, and having buddies with an off-campus apartment is clutch. Awake on a Tuesday at 2 am, I'm probably doing homework. Traditions include welcome back frat parties which half the school attends, halloween is always huge, and the first home football game is pretty awesome as well. Also when we host WVU in any sport things get wild. Because many of the residential students will go home for the weekend, the party week kicks off on Wednesday night. Wednesdays always get wild as well as Thursdays. Wednesday would usually be bar night and Thursday would be house parties/frat parties. Then the lack luster weekend rolls along and only the bar scene is good. A very small percentage of students are in a frat or sorority, but they make their presence known by throwing an open house every so often to keep pledges rolling in, mainly just have small, selective parties. Pi Kappa Alpha and Sig Ep are the two huge party frats on campus, but it's not your traditional southern school, where frats completely dominate the social scene. Off-campus house parties are just as prevalent. On a Saturday night if your on campus and not drinking I have no idea what you'd be doing. Huntington bar scene is okay on the weekends, but not nearly as fun as the weekdays.

As an out of state student, whenever I would tell my friends I was going to Marshall, they would ask why. The academic reputation is completely unknown out of state, and mostly known for it's decent football team in the 90's and their unfortunate plane crash in the 70's. Otherwise, no one really knows anything about Marshall. I went because it was one of the few schools with a good sports management program, and wanted to experience a different culture. West Virginia as a whole gets a really bad rep, and are truly misrepresented by the national media, seeing people with one tooth talk about the flood that swept away their home. My friends would joke and say all the kids at Marshall have incest and work on a farm.

Pam

They are friendly and diverse, and you can always find at least one to help you.

To really find out about class size, living arrangements, food service, and the area around the school. Those are the things that really set the feel of the school, and will help a student be in the right setting for success.

Marshall University was never my first choice. I had planned to attend College of Notre Dame of Maryland. I went there for orietation and felt so out of place. I hated it. I came back home and rushed in my application to Marshall without even knowing much about the school. It was out of shear luck that I got such a great experience. My advice to others is to shop around. Apply to numerous schools even if you aren't sure if you will like them or not. Students should also not make any final decisions until they have taken a tour of campus and got to know the place a little better to make sure its what they want. The way I have made the most of my experience is being open to new people and new experiences. You have to get out there! Go to events and social activities. College wouldn't be half as great if I hadn't made so many great friends here!

Kendrick

It is growing very quickly. New library, new fitness center, six new dorm buildings, new bio-tech center, new engineering building, new parking lot. All in the last decade!

Live in the dorms for at least the first year: consider it an investment in life experiences (invaluable). Go to class - it is tempting to skip, skipping is worse than any drug, especially the first year. Do not be shy. Call your mom; she might even send you money or cookies. Don't let academia box you in; postpone your career choice until you have tasted what life is like on your own.

Its size. Not so big that you do not pass familiar faces and friends on the way to class, but not so small that there are no new faces to get to know. All walks are ten minutes or less, but there are plenty of places to go.

Kelley

Find a school that is right for you. Every school has its own unique characteristics, and ultimately your decision will come down to personal preference. Don't be afraid to ask for help and get involved. Your college experience is a result of your own efforts. The harder you work academically and the more involved you become with your school and community, the more you will enjoy your time there. College is about both individualism and community. Don't be afraid to let others see you for who you really are and what you have to offer. You do not have to blend in to fit in and become a valuable, contributing part of your school.

Professors and students are very helpful. There are plenty of resources avaliable and people are always willing to help.

Expeneses. There are fees for lab equipment, fitness centers, parking passes, etc. It seems like the campus is always growing, and the cost is always growing to help fund the construction.

Kendrick

The community involvment really gives the impression that the college is part of the whole rather than a pesky reminder of middle class youth.

Tour, Tour, Tour. The most important facet of a college is how it feels in relation to a student. A student can generally see through the campaigning and tell with genuine scope whether the college feels right for the student rather than the statistics that will undoubtedly be thrown in the direction of the prospect. It really comes down to the intangibles as to the true fit, instructor-student ratio means nothing when you dislike the teachers.

THe learning enviroment on a reletively small campus.

Yezenia

The "We Are Marshall" Movie.

The "We Are Marshall" Movie.

Picking the right college is not always easy but in my situation it was all about expense and education. I chose my college by the location, expense, and education. The Univeristy I attend is affordable and it has one of the best Nursing programs in the state and it's close enough that I can commute to and from campus also allowing me to save on housing. Other advice I give to future students before entering into college is first and foremost to have good study habits. It's all about being able to know what to study and how to study which many high school students sadly don't know how to do. It's also not about cramming for a test the night before, believe me I know! As a Nursing student I have learned to be the most successful in reviewing material every night and studying at least a week in advance before a test so that the material actually sticks. I have come to form close friendships through study groups which also is ideal, we're able to push and motivate eachother when exams and finals are just around the corner it helps make college better!

It has a long and varied history (est. 1838) and offers a lot of historical interest.

My advice to both parents and children would be to not fear the unknown. I stayed at my local university and, while I've made some great friends and studied under some tremendous professors that have permanently shaped my studies, part of me regrets not challenging myself by venturing out into the world. I was scared to do so, and my parents were scared to let me go. Parents and children alike need to realize that college is just the first of many steps to maturity. Additionally, I would encourage students to get out and see what their school has to offer by way of extracurricular activities and academic/interest groups. Some of my fondest memories are of afterschool meetings with a small group of like-minded classmates at a nearby pizza or coffee shop, where we did nothing but let off steam about various school-related issues or discussed our latest projects with one another for advice and critiques. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and meet new people, because it's possible they may end up being some of your best friends.

Anyone strongly opposed to traditional conservative, religious beliefs.

Lindsay

My classmates are always helpful and caring.

My classmates are always helpful and caring.

I would suggest that students choose a school that will provide them with the best academic and social atmosphere for their intended major. I feel that students should choose a school in an area that they think they would enjoy. Students should not be afraid of traveling to an area that seems interesting to them After finding the right school, students should always put their studies first. Interaction with professors and other students is a must! I would suggest getting involved in as many activities as possible. One of the most important lessons that students should learn while in college is how to communicate well with others. Overall, I feel that students should make the most of their time while in college and always strive for their dreams.

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.