Huntington, WV
Marshall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marshall University

Kendrick

It is growing very quickly. New library, new fitness center, six new dorm buildings, new bio-tech center, new engineering building, new parking lot. All in the last decade!

Live in the dorms for at least the first year: consider it an investment in life experiences (invaluable). Go to class - it is tempting to skip, skipping is worse than any drug, especially the first year. Do not be shy. Call your mom; she might even send you money or cookies. Don't let academia box you in; postpone your career choice until you have tasted what life is like on your own.

Its size. Not so big that you do not pass familiar faces and friends on the way to class, but not so small that there are no new faces to get to know. All walks are ten minutes or less, but there are plenty of places to go.

Kelley

Find a school that is right for you. Every school has its own unique characteristics, and ultimately your decision will come down to personal preference. Don't be afraid to ask for help and get involved. Your college experience is a result of your own efforts. The harder you work academically and the more involved you become with your school and community, the more you will enjoy your time there. College is about both individualism and community. Don't be afraid to let others see you for who you really are and what you have to offer. You do not have to blend in to fit in and become a valuable, contributing part of your school.

Professors and students are very helpful. There are plenty of resources avaliable and people are always willing to help.

Expeneses. There are fees for lab equipment, fitness centers, parking passes, etc. It seems like the campus is always growing, and the cost is always growing to help fund the construction.

Kendrick

The community involvment really gives the impression that the college is part of the whole rather than a pesky reminder of middle class youth.

Tour, Tour, Tour. The most important facet of a college is how it feels in relation to a student. A student can generally see through the campaigning and tell with genuine scope whether the college feels right for the student rather than the statistics that will undoubtedly be thrown in the direction of the prospect. It really comes down to the intangibles as to the true fit, instructor-student ratio means nothing when you dislike the teachers.

THe learning enviroment on a reletively small campus.

Yezenia

The "We Are Marshall" Movie.

The "We Are Marshall" Movie.

Picking the right college is not always easy but in my situation it was all about expense and education. I chose my college by the location, expense, and education. The Univeristy I attend is affordable and it has one of the best Nursing programs in the state and it's close enough that I can commute to and from campus also allowing me to save on housing. Other advice I give to future students before entering into college is first and foremost to have good study habits. It's all about being able to know what to study and how to study which many high school students sadly don't know how to do. It's also not about cramming for a test the night before, believe me I know! As a Nursing student I have learned to be the most successful in reviewing material every night and studying at least a week in advance before a test so that the material actually sticks. I have come to form close friendships through study groups which also is ideal, we're able to push and motivate eachother when exams and finals are just around the corner it helps make college better!

It has a long and varied history (est. 1838) and offers a lot of historical interest.

My advice to both parents and children would be to not fear the unknown. I stayed at my local university and, while I've made some great friends and studied under some tremendous professors that have permanently shaped my studies, part of me regrets not challenging myself by venturing out into the world. I was scared to do so, and my parents were scared to let me go. Parents and children alike need to realize that college is just the first of many steps to maturity. Additionally, I would encourage students to get out and see what their school has to offer by way of extracurricular activities and academic/interest groups. Some of my fondest memories are of afterschool meetings with a small group of like-minded classmates at a nearby pizza or coffee shop, where we did nothing but let off steam about various school-related issues or discussed our latest projects with one another for advice and critiques. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and meet new people, because it's possible they may end up being some of your best friends.

Anyone strongly opposed to traditional conservative, religious beliefs.

Lindsay

My classmates are always helpful and caring.

My classmates are always helpful and caring.

I would suggest that students choose a school that will provide them with the best academic and social atmosphere for their intended major. I feel that students should choose a school in an area that they think they would enjoy. Students should not be afraid of traveling to an area that seems interesting to them After finding the right school, students should always put their studies first. Interaction with professors and other students is a must! I would suggest getting involved in as many activities as possible. One of the most important lessons that students should learn while in college is how to communicate well with others. Overall, I feel that students should make the most of their time while in college and always strive for their dreams.

Chris

My classmates are usually aged between 18-35. Some are parents who are returning to school and some are fresh out of high school. Most are friendly and will more than likely help anybody out who asks for it. They also usually keep you up to date on what is going on in class. Overall, it's an outgoing campus and is very friendly.

I would tell the parents to let the students choose the college of their choice because college is where one embarks on a new part of life. It is very different from high school and I think a college student gets in touch more with his or herself. College students find out more about what they like and want in life while they are attending college. So again, I advise the parents to let the students go on their adventure themselves and be there for support. For the students, choose a college that interests you the most. Choose one where your degree is offered and one where you can take part of activities that take place on campus and even off campus. Definitely, be sure to have a social life along with a working life if you have a job and make sure that your job and classes work around each other successfully. Don't be affraid to try new activities and have fun along with meeting new people!

A person who wants to achieve successfully and complete his or her degree. Also there are a lot of extra curricular activities and fraternities along with serorities for students to get involved in. The person should be outgoing and motivated for success. There is a lot of opportunity to maintain an academic life along with a social life.

Nicholas

The best advice that I can give is to try to make your child understand that a college in a city can be a dangerous thing. I spent alot of money to go to NYU my first three years of college and got subpar grades and nothing to show for it. Now I am making 4.0's and going to a much less expensive college in a more rural area. I had my mind made up that I wanted to go to New York and there was nothing that could talk me out of it. The location that a school is in can play an important role in the choices that the student will make. Cities have huge distractions and if your child is prone to such things, a more rural or suburban college may be the better choice. Most important thing to remember is that college is a place to learn, not play. Thankfully, I have learned that lesson now.

In my degree program, there is an amazing teacher who is also my advisor. He knows his stuff and could easily teach at 99% of the other colleges in the country.

Someone who didn't do very well in high school would be able to succeed in this environment.

Carmen

I think that it is important to research all of your possibilities. Once the choice has been made, students and parents should find housing, be it on or off-campus. I would recommend going to the school town a couple weeks before school is actually in session to get familiar with the town. Find the local hospital, grocery store, mall, etc. Families of other freshman will also be in town. Students will have a chance to meet other students and possibly find a in-town buddy. This is vital in any case of emergency so the new student can be looked after, even if their parents are away.

I wish that I would have realized that I needed to apply to attend Marshall. I was a dual credit student, and I attended Marshall half day, but my highschool advisor didn't inform me i needed to reapply to Marshall. There were a lot of people from my highschool that attend Marshall. Sororities are very active in the recruiment of new freshman. Luckily, my older cousin advised me against sororities before I got to Marshall. It's advice that is worth passing along.

Parking is a MAJOR issue at Marshall. There have been recent additions built on campus, and unfortunately, they went up on the very few student parking lots we had. Parking on the main streets is paid parking. I would suggest buying at parking pass from one of the businesses surrounding Marshall, just because Marshall tends of over charge for passes and they sell more passes than they have spaces. Also, there are several lots nearby and walking is good for you! :o)

Marshall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.