West Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Monmouth University

Fixed  rate loan

Tom

i love that monmouth is close to the beach. i wish more people stayed on the weekends and there was more to do. many people have heard of Monmouth when i tell them where i go. they usually say they know of someone that goes there. im usually always busy and spend time in about every place besides my dorm room. the administration are some of the nicest people i have ever met. they are always kind and courteous from the some of the dining hall staff to the secretaries to the teachers. its actually a pleasure to have a conversation with them. many students go home on weekends so there isnt high attendence at the sporting events, but everyone i know has at least one article of clothing that says Monmouth on it. ill def always remember my first college party

the school is mainly white. there are other races but there arent much. the different races usually stick together for the most part but a lot of the groups mix with one another. the main religion that people are is jewish. a lot of people that go to Monmouth come from families that are well off financially. mostly nj residents or the surrounding states. they girls are considered to be very pretty.

Overall, i love going to Monmouth. I have more friends than i can count and im involved in a lot of stuff. i dont ever want to leave

most professors know you name after a week or two in their class. i love the business department because they all have had a experience in the real world and can bring that to the class when teaching. it makes the information seem interesting and helps to enhancing the learning. because of this, more students participate because they are interested in the material. the classes are difficult and when i talk to friends taking the same classes at other schools their classes are usually a lot easier. the classes challenge you. the teachers have office hours and you can make an appointment to see them in addition to the study hours. some classes also have a review session before a major exam or final. i feel i will be prepared when i graduate.

there is basically nothing to do socially on the weekends if you arent involved in greek life or a sports team. there are lots of resturants to go to and the beach is very close. pier village is a nice area with high class shop and the mall is a 5 minute drive. i am pretty much up late every night either doing work, eating, or out somewhere

mainly white, jewish, rich. mostly nj residents or the surrounding states. very pretty girls

Suzy

Close to the beach, close to New York and Atlantic City, its a small school so everybody basically knows everybody. Live on campus! Its the only way to met people as a freshmen. The dorms are not the best thing because they are small and the showers are small as well, but it was a great experience to live with a bunch of people. The class size is about 25 people per teacher. We do not have a "college town" but people have off campus houses, however they get busted a lot by Ocean cops so be careful.

Students wear comfy clothes or jeans and uggs. YOu will see at least 5 people with uggs on a day in the winter I assure you. Most Monmouth students are from Monmouth County or the surrounding area. The SES ranges from middle- upper class for the most part.

Although some people there are rich and stuck up, the majority of the students do not apply to this stereotype because many people are not rich and pay for college by working and through loans.

The professors get to know you because the class size is like one of your high school classes. My favorite class was cultural anthropology and the Holocaust class. My least favorite was Philosophy and Math. I do not know about anyone else, but I study a lot because I need to keep my GPA abovea 2.75. However, Thursday nights are the night to go out, so a lot of people will be seen out on that night regardless of school. I am an education/history major and it is very hard! History requires a lot of reading and writing. Education classes are interesting but they require a lot of projects which are easy, but time consuming. However, the education classes really prepare you for the real world because you have to observe schools all over Monmouth County/

Soroities and Frats are big at monmouth. Students do leave thier dorms open but a lot of people leave once the weekend starts. Monmouth is called a suitcase school because of that.I met my friends through my dorm.

That we are all rich and stuck up.

Julia

Most people I talk to have never heard about Monmouth. Although we're currently becoming a bigger school, Monmouth still hasn't become a big name. I almost like it better that way. I think Monmouth is just the right size - the location is great, the people are spontaneous, and the food in Jersey beats the food in Maryland anyday. I seriously cannot imagine myself anywhere else - Monmouth is my home and my friends are my family. My only complaint is the Dining Hall does not open until 11:30 on the weekends. I'll always remember my freshman soccer season and all the little, meaningless memories I have with my friends. All those insignificant nights have had such an impact on me and I wouldn't change one minute of it.

There are so many different types of people here and the great part is the student body doesn't discriminate. Generally speaking people stay within their clicks - athletes stick with athletes, guedos with guedos, etc., but people are generally open to anyone and everyone. Most students are from Jersey but I'm able to find other Maryland kids - we share Maryland pride and tend to remain close. Some girls get dressed up for class but my friends and I mostly just wear sweatpants and t-shirts. The guys don't dress up either - classes are relaxed.

Going to Monmouth was the best decision I have ever made. I love playing soccer here and I'm already closer with my friends here than I am with my friends at home. I didn't want to come home this summer - I miss my friends so much. There's so many different types of people here and everyone is outgoing and open to anyone - meeting people and making friends is no problem, no matter what kind of person you are. Oh, and we're less than a mile from the beach :0)

Monmouth's really not a suitcase college. There's always something to do - you just have to find it. Some are stuck up and snobby, but most aren't - most are a lot of fun and outgoing. We have our fair share of guedo's and bennies but you're going to find people like that no matter where you go.

I'm constantly challenged in all my classes. The work load can be heavy and stressful at times but it is going to be like that wherever you go to college. At Monmouth you're not just a number - your teachers know you by your first name and I love that. It's great having a good student-teacher relationship and it makes the classes easier. Being a part of the Honors program at Monmouth is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It has challenged me and allowed me to be in classes with the same kids. I was better able to get to know my peers and classes were centered around discussion rather than lecture.

I'm not involved with any clubs or organizations although sororities and fraternities are very popular here. I play for the Women's Soccer Team and it was the best decission of my life. Unfortunately, athletic events are not really all that popular. A lot of times it is the student-athletes who attend each others games. If it weren't for playing soccer I do not know who I would be friends with - my best friends are either on soccer or on other sports teams and I have met them because of being on soccer. I loved the girls in my suite this year - we never locked our doors and usually left them open. We all got along really well and trusted each other. People party every night but that is going to happen at any school. Sunday is the day for student-athletes to party because Monday is our day off and, let me tell you - we throw the BEST parties. Because there is actually a town around Monmouth there is so much to do. You can go shopping in Red Bank, go out to eat in Pier Village, go to a concert or a Roller Derby in Asbury or bowling in West Long Branch. There's always something to do - you just have to be creative and sometimes put in the effort of looking.

People think Monmouth's a suitcase college. People think the students are snobby and stuck up. People think we're all guedo's and bennies.

Alyssa

I love Monmouth! It is the perfect size campus, not too big not too small. All of the Professors are really nice and approachable. The class sizes are small which is good. Greek life is awesome on campus. The Honors program is a huge plus and a main reason why I went.

The students are really awesome. You get to know everyone pretty much. People are from all different states and from all different backgrounds; we are a pretty diverse campus. However, it is a predominantly white campus. There are more girls than guys on campus.

The professors are really amazing. They all love their jobs and are really accessible outside of class. There are no lecture halls so you really get one on one time with class members and the professors. The Honors program is very competitive and the classes are nice because you are with other students at the same intellectual level. The Communications department is awesome. The classes are so much fun and the professors really know their stuff. The IT minor is definitely an option that everyone should look into because it is really helpful and it will help you find a job.

I am an active sister of Alpha Sigma Tau sorority. The greek life is huge on campus. All of the organizations are friendly and intermingle however, there are some rivalries. I would definitely say go greek where ever you end up. I am also a member of WMCX our radio station on campus. I have a radio show and I love it. Everyone is so friendly it is like a family. Nelly's is open 24-7 pretty much and they deliver. Fat Sandwiches yo! Partying is big on and off campus. There is always something going on somewhere.

All the girls are the same, Monmouth is like community college

The best thing about Monmouth is the campus and the location. Not just the fact that the campus is beautiful and safe but it is within walking distance of the beach. The location is ideal and perfect for a college student. The school is perfect size because all classes are accessible any time of the day to walk to and class size is just right to allow interaction between the professor and students. The professors and other staff at Monmouth University are so friendly and make you feel comfortable with them and they are easily approachable and are always there to help you.

There is a good variation of different races but there are not many people within the different races. The students all mix with each other and people have all different types of friends. Everybody interacts with each other. The majority of Monmouth students are from New Jersey, some from surrounding states such as New York and Pennsylvannia, and a handful from farther states.

There are some but you will find that in any university

Every one of my professors knew my name in all of my classes. My favorite classes are the classes that hold my interest most. In the most recent semester, out of the six courses I had there was only one that I disliked. My major is Psychology and the psychology department is so helpful and always there to help you excel. E-mails are always sent from the Psych department to help you get involved and experience everything possible. There are a lot of general education courses required that may be a bit much but all of the education available at Monmouth really helps you to achieve what you you need to get a good degree.

There are a slew of clubs at Monmouth but there are a lot of Fraternities and Sororities and a lot of students join them. I lived in a Suite style dorm and everybody always had their front doors open. My floor got along and I had friends from every suite on the floor. People get very close and have fun doing things such as studying together, just hanging out, or having parties. There are more parties off campus than on campus. There are plenty of things to do off campus such as going to the beach, the mall which is 15 minutes away, or neighboring resturants such as Inkwell or anything in Pier Village.

That rich people attend the school.

Reese

Monmouth is a great school in a great area in West Long Branch, New Jersey. In one direction is the beach and a bunch of boutique shops. In the other direction is tons of restaurants, the mall, the movies, Target, and anything else that a college student would need. Monmouth's academic programs are amazing, with a great curriculum and professors that are always willing to help. One thing that I would change about Monmouth is that it should be located near a Wawa. Coming from central Jersey, it was hard to adjust to college life without Wawa subs and coffee! Monmouth is also has a small enough community where students don't get lost in the shuffle. At Monmouth, there are 4,000 undergraduates and 2,000 graduate students, so you really get to know everybody. When I tell people that I go to Monmouth University, the reaction that I usually get is, "GOOD FOR YOU!!!" It makes me feel great that people recognize my school and the hard work that I do. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm, my friends' dorms, and the dining hall. Although classes take up a lot of time during the week, when I'm not in class, I like to just hang around campus with friends. I think that the Monmouth administration does a lot of work but, as with anything in life, they could be better. I think that the biggest controversy on campus is the housing process. Housing is done by a lottery system, which is extremely stressful on students and causes many problems. I, as well as many others, feel that housing should be distributed based on GPA or on a first come, first serve basis. A fun, and unusual fact, about Monmouth is that the movie "Annie" was filmed there, in Wilson Hall, the center of campus. Wilson Hall was Daddy Warbucks's mansion in the movie. Also, Wilson Hall was the summer home for President Woodrow Wilson during his second campaign in office. Also, Woodrow Wilson's pets, Girlie and Fluffy, are buried out by the well that is located on campus. I feel honored to be able to walk on a campus with so much history. The most frequent student complaints are that academic advisors do not know what they are talking about; they usually end up hurting students rather than helping them. Word has gotten around that advisors have not had any formal training, which creates a serious problem when students need help making schedules and graduation plans.

I find that most students are from the tri-state area, but some do come from the Connecticut are as well.

Monmouth is becoming an increasingly popular school, which is really great to see. I would recommend Monmouth University to anyone I know.

Monmouth is a college so, naturally, there are parties. But the parties are located off campus and rarely get out of control. In regards to parties, Monmouth is like every other college.

Professors really want to get to know every student and they want to see students do well. Average class size, in the core curriculum classes (ie: Western Civilization), is 22, but the classes cap off at 35. Once students move up to the major requirements, the average class size is 18, but the classes usually cap off at 25. Class participation is mandatory in most classes and counts as part of the final grade. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and even tend to form their own study groups. My least favorite classes I've taken are Western Civilization and Chemistry, only because they have nothing to do with my major. I am an English and Elementary Education major, and I absolutely love it. It is A LOT of work but, if there is one thing I've learned in college, it is that nothing you want comes easy; hard work is essential for success.

On campus, I am the Coordinator of Records and Relations in the Undergraduate Admissions office. My job is to make sure that the Student Ambassadors do their jobs while on the clock. I also have to help plan Open House, special events, and our Saturday Session visits. As Coordinator of Records and Relations, I'm also in charge of planning Ambassador social events and team building workshops. It is a great program to be apart of. Students are able to apply to be a Student Ambassador at the end of their freshman year. The Undergraduate Admissions office wants to hire students who have already had some experience with Monmouth and want to share their school pride with prospective students.

Sports teams are great and a lot of fun to go to the games. Theres always something going on on campus ex: comedy shows, sports games, guest speakers, spring feast, home coming, dances and much more. Theres a lot of school pride at Monmouth. Its the perfect size school not to small or to big. the campus its self is beautiful thats one of the reason I wanted to come to Monmouth. There is not a piece of trash on the floors anywhere and its very piece full. There are always mantience guys working on the grounds 24/7 so it is always so clean and pretty. Dorms are not that bad clean for the most part unlike some schools I looked at. There a lot of fun because you get to live with a lot of people and there is always something going on. This might sound corny but the library is amazing on campus to get work done. Its huge and everyone goes there for some quiet time catching up on work. Monmouth is only a minute from the beach and when its hot out theres where you will find everyone. Also theres so much shopping around the school and places to eat. Monmouth does have a lot of parties which are so much fun but one negative thing is that the cops around the town are very strict. This doesnt stop anyone from having parties but they do get broken up alot and you can get in trouble. Dont worry though everyone still parties on!

The student body is a mix... jocks, nerds, popular girls you no the same every where. No one feels out of place here. Everyone meets friends. Student center, dinning hall are the place to hang out.. always kids there.

Well the uggs and monmouth wear are true but always a good thing because its comfy to go to class in. Monmouth is not a suitcase school! Yes some people go home on the weekends once in a while but thats the same with any school. I have many friends and we all stay at school and go home once in a while.

Class at Monmouth are awesome. Most the teachers here are great. Only suggestion I have is when you make your class use Ratemyprosser.com to see who your teacher is because if you get stuck with a bad professor its not to much fun. Communication program is amazing! I love it! Although my roomate is an art major and she has good and bad to say about that department so look into it. You have to take some core class that are manatory like math english history critcal discourse and so on. Professor are always willing to help they help me outside of class all the time. Overall the academic side of monmouth is great!

Sororities and frats and very popular. I have a lot of friends in them although I am not.(just didnt wanna) either way it doesnt matter. SOme join some dont. Everyone still has fun. Everyone in the dorms leave thjer doors open for other people to come in and hang out. Nothing has ever got stolen that I no of its a pretty safe school. People party all the time so theres not much quiet time when you wanna go to sleep. you will get use to it though.

everyone wears uggs! As well as monmouth sweats to class. Monmouth is a suitcase school.

Justin

Monmouth is a place where you create many chapters in your life. Each year as a student represents a chapter. I could not have had any better of an experience thus far. The first day of Freshman year is a day where you do not know what you are getting into. You just take a chance and go with it. Monmouth is a place where you feel comfortable taking a risk and shoot for the stars. It is a place that allows you to learn who you are, find yourself and along that journey you create lasting friendships. New friendships are made every year and no one is afraid to talk to the person next to them. It is a place where you can have as many friendships as you want and take part in anything you are interested in. No one will turn you away or look the other way. That's the best thing about Monmouth, it allows you to be who you want to be and there is no one stopping you. It is a place that makes you feel like your at home!

Along with the diverse student body comes a plethora of outfits that are put together to go to class. There are the students that roll right our of bed and attend class in their pajamas just in time. Then there are the students that put a little more effort into getting dressed for class, they quickly throw on sweatpants, a sweatshirt and slip in their uggs. They are all about being comfortable. Then there are the ones who instead of slipping on the sweatpants but on jeans to go along with that comfy sweatshirt. And finally there are the ones such as myself that go to class as if they just came out of a fashion magazine, perhaps the guys from GQ and the girls from Cosomopolitan. The guys are seen wearing a hip dark fashion jean or dress slacks with either a classic polo shirt or a striped button down shirt. They may even pair the button down with a sweater. As for the girls, they come down the runway with a sassy skirt or a class pair of black pants and a sexy but classy top. The top can be a basic button down to a silk top or even a dressy knit. These people are the trendsetters and are on their way to dressing for the job they want!

There is nothing bad I have to say about Monmouth, it holds a place in my heart!

Academics at Monmouth are one of a kind. The relationships that a student creates with a professor is imeasurable. I am one who likes to get to know my professor and always engage in conversation. The best class that I have taken at Monmouth is Entrepreneurship. This is a class in which the student's run it for the most part. A class where the students create a product and a business for that product. It is not your typical class, it is more like going to a job however, it is not 9-5. Students are put into departments such that of a business and each department has their own tasks. The class is started off with a group meeting and everyone collaborating together and then we end in our departments. Students even hold meetings outside of the classroom. This is a class that goes far beyond the classroom. In just 4 months, a business is started and a product is on the market! This class was more then a learning experience, it was emotional, hard work and rewarding. I wish every class could be like this!

The two most prominent groups on campus are the Student Activities Board and Student Government Association. I am involved with the Student Activities Board as a Co-Festival Chair. As a chair, I assist in planning 6 major events a year (3 per semester). In the Fall semester we typically plan, Monmouth Palooza which is part of Welcome Week and takes place the first weekend of school. This is an outdoor themed event that included novelties, inflateables, food and live music. The second event is Casino Night which takes place during Family Weekend and students and their families are able to win many prizes all while feeling like they are in Atlantic City. The 4 other events we do can range from a game show, mind reader, magician, illusionist, etc. We engage the students in fun and interaction amongst other students as well as the performers. Always a hit along with our other committees such as Diversity, Awareness, Travel and Tour, Comedy, Concerts, and Novelties.

I do not believe that Monmouth and its students have a stereotype. It is what you make of it while you are a student. Yes we do have different classes of people but doesn't every college? You have the students with more money then others, the ones that like to party more then others, and the ones that are there to get the job done and that is it. Monmouth is known for its great academic programs and beautiful campus. The location is perfect and fits everyones needs. I do not believe that we are a party school, yes many students have and attend them but it is part of the college experience.

Mel

I'm straight edge. I don't mean that in that I am scared to drink, do drugs, or have sex randomly. I mean that in that I embraced the hardcore punk subculture. No one here understands that because the majority are spoiled suburban kids that waste what they are given on hair gel and drugs they don't need.

The thing about the student body is that even though there is an overwhelming amount of idiots, there are still enough people of your own specific type to hang out with even if you don't think so. The campus is diverse (even though there are some majorities). A lot of people that go there, as stated before, are well-off and spoiled (as one can tell by the types of cars in every lot).

To be honest, the school is awesome. The core curriculum is overbearing and ridiculous, but as long as you work hard you can get it done. The people there are mostly absolutely stupid. Seriously, I will sit there and catch a passing conversation, and it is the worst kind of popular tripe ever. Politics on campus (unless talking to a poli-sci major) are lacking because of the fact that most people come from such a rich upbringing, they have an ignorant view of politics based on what they see on fox tv. Furthermore the staff at the dining halls are all rude and need to know their jobs and place when talking to college students that will be running their lives. Speaking of dining halls, there is not a lot of accommodation for vegetarians, so keep that in mind.

Yes, very much. All of the girls are filthy, and a lot of the guys (if they aren't moronic surfers or locals on EO, they are guidos)

The academics are great. Classes are generally small, especially in your major. Everyone is super committed to getting you a job out of college. I transferred from University of Hartford and hated it. This is a huge step up and is in the top 366 for a reason.

There is not much to do on campus at night, but everyone finds it to get a fake, or sneak into the clubs and bars around the area, because they aren't policed. I would certainly not trust leaving my door open for too long in the dorms, because there are a lot of those people that would steal just for the fun of it. Greek life is bland. All of the sororities are ugly, the fraternities are all mostly idiots, one of which was even rumored to have a puppy and killed it at the end of pledging as a pledge task or something. You will probably meet your friends in your majors and classes, as long as you aren't a loser and talk to them for once.

There's a lot of 'guidos' and sluts

Bobby

The best thing about Monmouth is that it is up and coming and is becoming more sports adapted, however, the school seems to provide the students with barely any entertainment compared to most other schools. There is not a whole lot of school pride at Monmouth and students should take more of an active role in pushing Monmouth to give them what they want rather than sitting back and complaining. There are also a bunch of D1 sports teams at Monmouth that are very good and students should take more of an interest in supporting their teams and showing their pride.

In my expirience the Greek life is a good time if you do not participate in a sport. However, for some odd reason, the Fraternities often have problems with male sports teams. I do not know why but there seems to be an expected tension between to 2 diffrent lifes at Monmouth.

Classes are fair. Most professors will be fair to you if you are fair to them. They will also help you alot whenever you need it. In my opinion students need to stop being so shy and start participating more in in-class discussions. Many times teachers will ask a question and no one will raise their hands, not that they dont know the answer, but they are just shy. Intramurals at Monmouth are a plus side to the school as they can become very comeptetive at times. Monmouth also helps out with alot of connections for after school jobs or internships.

Everyone at Monmouth is friendly and open for the most part. Many dorm doors are always open and people get along fairly well, however, many tend to go home on the weekends for reasons that are unknown for me. Your in college live it up!

Suit-case school, Overly populated with local students, strict alcohol policy

Monmouth University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.