Northeastern University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northeastern University

Edjana

At Northeastern, students learn to flourish in academia and their social lives. There are so many opportunities to connect with local businesses, clinics, and communities. There are also plenty of opportunities to connect with professors and conduct lab work. Overall, Northeastern University is one of the best but most underrated universities in the U.S.

McKenzie

As a student attending in the age of COVID-19, this school year has been difficult as I'm sure it has been for many others. I can honestly say NU took the virus and the safety of the on-campus students very seriously. Even though the frequent tests can be annoying, it is understandable why they want you to do so. I also think there were lots of opportunities to meet people online, but beyond that most of the interactions I had with fellow students were very shallow. I would also say this is definitely a school for rich kids, i really don't appreciate them holding my registration for next year hostage over a bill I can't pay at the moment.

Andy

I really enjoy the cultural diversity of Northeastern. We have students from around the world and it makes conversations truly in-depth. The professors have been great to work with and usually respond promptly. I am very happy with my choice of schools!

Riley

Academics are very good -- more rigorous than I expected, but that's a good thing -- I feel like I'm being well-prepared for the work force. The physics major, I have realized, is not for me, but the academic advisors are always here to help, very accessible, and will do their best to help you do what you want and succeed. Social life is good -- most people are very academic, talented, and outgoing. If that's not your jam, make friends at a different school! Boston is literally a college city; it's impossible not to find something fun to do (as long as you can afford it). Sports and frat life are there if you're into it, but it's easy to ignore if it's not your thing. The music scene in Boston is amazing -- again, you usually have to have money, but NEU often brings bands to campus -- I got to see a lot of great bands in the basement of the library for free. Overall the school is very progressive, liberal, sometimes aggressively so. The student body often picks fights with the administration over minimum wage issues, transgender bathrooms, and gender-neutral housing rights. I would give the school 5 stars, but the course websites are slow and the WIFI IS GARBAGE. The only reason i'm writing this review is because Netflix won't load.

Syeda

Northeastern University is a great place for those who are interested in being immersed within a more urban community. The environment here encourages both cultural and academic immersion and the faculty is always invested in the students' success. Most anyone can find a niche within our community.

Huiling

I absolutely fell in love with Northeastern University. It's a fabulously diverse campus and city and allowed me to grow and thrive so much. It gave me a vision and a goal, a dream to pursue when all I had was uncertainty before. I grew confident and gained a sense of belonging and content. A sense of fire and passion.

Sydney

As an engineering student, I often find myself overwhelmed with work. It's far less difficult for students outside of the school of engineering. Co-op is super helpful though.

Natalie

I never thought I could say as much as I want to about Northeastern University. I chose this school because of three things: the program, the location, and the concept of starting over somewhere completely new. I am currently in my fourth year of the nursing school. I chose NU because of its Co-op program and the opportunity I would potentially have, not only for the job search post-graduation, but the first-hand experience I would receive in my field. I did not know much about nursing before I started the program and co-op is where I truly discovered my passion for this major. I had the chance to work in Medical Cardiology, and an Emergency Room, in one of Boston's most prestigious hospitals. After my first co-op I felt more prepared in the classroom setting, and was able to apply my work experience to what we were learning. Co-op also helped me form my practice as a student/technician, communicating with co-workers, patients, and family members. Co-op is a great part of the school and not only does it give you the chance to learn your field and discover what you love, it also gives students the chance to realize that the path they originally set on was not necessarily for them, which is a great chance to have. Additionally, the program is exceptional because by my fourth year, I truly consider the nursing school a family. My graduating class is about 60 people. We know each other well and are able to encourage each other, celebrating successes, and work together. In addition to my classmates, our professors teach all levels of our course load throughout our time at school. For example, one of my professors taught my Introduction to College Course, and the same one is now seeing me through one of my advanced classes as a Senior. The continuity of professors is exceptionally helpful and ties our small community together even more. In terms of location, NU is central to the Fenway, Newbury Street, Back Bay, and Mission Hill. It is also central to 2 main T (subway) stations which is perfect for commuting when on co-op, or if you simply want to go downtown to shop or have a meal. We are in walking distance to most of Boston's main attractions, and close to necessities like grocery, pharmacy, and hardware stores. The size of NU was also a defining factor in my decision to attend this university. The campus is in the middle of the city but still has a campus feel. It takes about ten-fifteen minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other, yet does not feel too crowded. Lastly, I am from the California, and making the choice to move to the East Coast was a difficult decision that I had to make, but completely worth it. It might sound cliche, but moving out of my comfort zone and starting over was refreshing and gave me the chance to meet friends from all walks of life, internationally and domestically. I have made friends who are local to the area who have taken me to the beaches, the mountains, and in general, places I would have never seen on my own if I would have stayed put, where I knew I was comfortable. Additionally, Northeastern has a great international community, and there is always the chance to get to know knew faces or try something new. I was hesitant on moving 3,000 miles away from home, however, I've had an incredible experience attending Northeastern.

Laurie

A place for all. A land of opportunity​. Don't just take my word for it visit and find out.

Catherine

The professors and the students are wonderful, but my bad experiences are always with counselors or those who are supposed to be making my college experience wonderful outside of the classroom. I was promised that I would not have to move from my current living situation while I am working, yet I am being kicked out at the end of April. I am not guaranteed housing even though I pay for it each semester. Also, many of the classes I have taken in high school have still not been added to my completed courses list so I have no idea when I will be able to graduate. Students are constantly left in the dark my administration, but the professors are wonderful and do a phenomenal job of preparing students to enter the workforce.

The co-op program is amazing. Not sure what I would have done going into industry after graduation without the knowledge and experience I gained over the course of my three co-ops.

Halyn

Northeastern found an excellent way of providing a unique, involved, and academically rigorous education without the pretentiousness that usually accompanies schools of its standing. While the course-load is sometimes tough to manage, NU provides a ridiculous amount of tutoring (potentially even over-kill) and other student led ways to stay on track. The faculty are all experts in their field, and so far I have felt comfortable asking each and every one of them for extra help. A lot of reviews talk about the campus "vibe" being great, and that really shouldn't be looked over. A vast majority of people on this campus are incredibly friendly, eager to help, and all around unique and determined people (which makes them the ideal candidate for a lab partner). On a more specific note, I actually switched majors after my freshman year, and I know a lot of incoming students are undeclared and/or worried about declaring. Northeastern was so helpful and efficient in helping me switch majors, so for those worried about that - don't be. All around an excellent school, but don't be surprised if you have to work a little harder than you did in high school.

Ashlee

I love northeastern! Although it is a great school it does have it faults (minor compared to everything else). First of all, it is in the best location. You are surrounded by a great city with tons of opportunities. You can tell the staff really want to help their students learn. Having only completed one year so far I cannot speak to the co-op program but I hear great things about it, and cannot wait to experience it for myself. In about a week I will be attending a Dialogue of Civilizations to London with 2 great professors. I will be studying comparative health care and communications for health care professionals. This is one of the many unique programs you can only find at Northeastern. Northeastern is really great for pushing the boundaries of education and really engaging its students. I have made some great friends this past year and I am interested to see where the rest of my Northeastern career will take me. If i could change one thing about Northeastern it would be the athletics. Yes it is a division one school but there is not a large amount of camaraderie, I would love if our school had more school spirit.

Madison

Northeastern has the best clubs to get involved in. I think of the clubs as important as the classes because the clubs are so helpful with your career building.

Its a great school with a look of money invested in, amazing global opportunities.

Kyle

Northeastern University provides the perfect city college experience. In the heart of Boston, you have the city to your disposal. Moving up in the ranks, Northeastern is becoming an increasingly notable University, and our facilities and professors are second to none. Overall, Northeastern is an excellent institution. Go Huskies!

Northeastern University is, without a doubt, exactly the college that I have always to attend, even though I didn't know it at first. When it came to visit colleges in high school, I kept telling myself that the "dream moment" of stepping onto campus and knowing that's where you belong was just a fantasy - until I toured at Northeastern. First of all, there's the fact that you get to be in the amazing, dynamic city of Boston, but there is definitely still a defined campus and homey feel when you're on your own turf. The sheer volume and diversity of majors, minors, and course offerings ensures that almost anyone can find the perfect program for them. The facilities are beautiful and our labs are state-of-the-art, many of which are housed in the brand new Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex (ISEC), which is not only one of the most advanced and beautiful STEM facilities that I have ever visited, but is simply a marvelous place for students to study and hang out together. The student organizations on-campus are insane with everything from professional and academic-minded organizations, to intramural sports, to a cappella and perfomance groups. Couple all of this with the fact that our experiential learning and co-op program is one of the most advanced and comprehensive in the nation, and you've got a million reasons to say yes to Northeastern. If that weren't enough, we've got one of the best online college meme communities out there. So, if you're looking for a modern university that gives you the flexibility and the resources to truly make college everything you've dreamed of and more, check out Northeastern University, 2018 Beanpot Champions and Robot-Proof Experiential Learners.

Madeline

Choosing Northeastern University as my undergraduate college of studies has without a doubt been the best decision of my life. Northeastern has everything to offer its students, and if for some reason they do not, it gives students the means to go out and create what they are looking for.

Craig

Northeastern University is a school that offers plenty of experience opportunities and a large variety of on campus activities. The student body is diverse and has students from all over the world. The class sizes are all relatively small and are rarely huge lectures. The staff here is great and wants students to succeed.

Victoria

I loved visiting it. It was my number one college choice.

Jamaica

It's an amazing school and I can't wait to really start in the fall.

Tiffany

Northeastern is an institution that offers the perfect mix between academics and extracurriculars. The University places a giant emphasis on gaining work experience and applying knowledge outside of the classroom. While the rotating semester and co-op schedules don't allow for cohesive school spirit, there is a Husky pride that vibrates throughout the school. This unique scheduling is actually beneficial to the students that go to Northeastern because they know the value of real-world experience and making friends wherever and whenever they can.

Beza

Overall, Northeastern is an amazing university; however, the university definitely lied to me about some things: first, they said everyone at the university is easily assessable, which is sooooo not true. My first semester was a little tough because it was hard to reach my advisors since they are extremely overbooked with tons of other students. Therefore, don't believe them when they say everyone is easily assessable, because I definitely had trouble reaching some people. Additionally, NUPD is not as efficient as Northeastern claims them to be. They told my mother that if any of us went missing off campus, they would work with the Boston Police to find us. But, when people on campus go missing after heavy nights of partying, NUPD apparently cannot do anything about it. It is up to the students to contact Boston Police and work with them to find their missing friend! Finally, financial aid is not as generous as they make it out to be: my mother has reached out to them numerous times asking for assistance because she cannot afford to pay our tuition, as she is a single mother with a rather unstable job at the moment. Yet, they told her that FASFA's estimated family contribution dictates how much they expect us to pay, even though FASFA does not take into account social issues or family dynamics. Thus, FASFA and Northeastern expects a single mother to pay tens of thousands of dollars for her daughter's education, even though she has another child to take care of, a mortgage to pay, and other external costs that are not being taken into consideration.

Cayla

Northeastern University offers students amazing opportunities through its refined co-op program. With the opportunity to learn inside and outside the classroom, students feel prepared and for finding their first job out of college, as well as having a better understanding of where they want their career path to go.

Harshal

Northeastern is excellent choice for students who are ambitious, want to study and have a great campus life at the same time. I have just enrolled as the first year student and I am very excited about it. The college is known for preparing students for the job because of the coop program, however there are plenty of opportunities for those who want to enroll for further education. The best part of the college is it is in middle of Boston downtown, surrounded by vibrant student community across well over 15 colleges.

Gloria

Northeastern University is a school filled with art, energy, diversity and opportunity. One great thing about this university is that it offers co-op (cooperative education) where students are given the opportunity to combine classroom-based education and practical work experience. All Northeastern students are well-regarded, in class and at work environments, due to their unique experience and work ethics gathered through co-op. Co-op places Huskies at an advantage for post-grad life, and lends a hand to networking and building connections. It's why Northeastern is unique and full of students prepared to excel in the professional world.

Rebekah

Northeastern is a great school. The campus is very open and welcoming, much like the students. On warm days, you can find what seems like everyone outside on the commons in hammocks or on the lawn, talking or doing homework. Though the classes are rather difficult, the students still like to have fun. There is usually something going on during the weekends, especially since campus is in the middle of Boston. The co-op program is just about guaranteed to get you an amazing job in the field you want to work in someday, and it's a great break from the hard classes. Overall Northeastern is a fun school with a diverse student body and there is something there for everyone.

Ruth

Northeastern is a wonderful place to go to school not only because of its academics, but because of the people you'll meet there. Students are there to learn, but the environment is light hearted and you never feel intimidated. With the Co-op program, you're given countless opportunities to meet new people and make new friends from all over the world. People often worry about the atmosphere of the campus when people are always leaving and coming back to campus from Co-op and abroad programs, but regardless of where we are, we're all Huskies and Northeastern is our home base.

Alanna

Northeastern is an incredible school with endless opportunities to get involved on campus, in neighboring areas of Boston, or abroad. The co-op program is second to none and allows students to gain real world experience 6 months at a time to help further direct studies and extracurricular activities. Everyone is smart and well connected, but it isn't cutthroat. I couldn't have asked for a better 5 years!

Samara

Northeastern University is a great college for students who are enthusiastic about receiving a non traditional education. What makes Northeastern University unique is its coop program where students enter a six month long internship with a company relating to their major. Overall, the student body is composed of students who are ambition and passionate about their studies. Northeastern does a great job of maintaining a campus environment while being surrounding by the city of Boston. There is not a football time, but sports are still a big part of campus for those who are interested. Overwhelmingly, there are a myriad of extracurriculars that cater to students' different interesting.

Maya

I like it a lot but coop does make it kind of complicated because everyone is coming and going. I like the academics but I am still a first year so I look forward to when I can take classes in the subject I am most interested. Coop is also a great opportunity and is unique to Northeastern.

Kaitlin

I love it; it exceeded a lot of my expectations!

Grace

I love my school and I 100% believe it is the place for me and for anyone else who isn't afraid to try to be the loudest voice in the room sometimes, but is also comfortable taking a backseat in order to be a part of something fantastic. The school is large, and definitely still functions like a company, with image concerns and sometimes students can feel unnoticed. However, the environment fosters empowered young people who can leave college knowing what they want and how to get there. The opportunities I've seen my friends get through the coop program have ranged from their favorite firm to working with NASA to taking time off to start their own company. The things students do here are amazing, if they're ready for a fast paced and high expectations environment.

Sara

Northeastern University, located in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts, provides an innovative, non-traditional method to higher education. Northeastern prides itself in offering experiential learning across disciplines and cultures through its classroom and real-world experiences. This fosters an environment full of scholars, researchers, entrepreneurs, and professionals with the knowledge and drive to make a difference in their chosen field and beyond. By the end of their career at Northeastern, many students have incubated their own start-up company or have been published in research papers. This isn’t uncommon when in an environment full of driven an inquisitive people, but what stands out here is that on projects such as these, Professors treat their students as equals, as colleagues, as partners. Student led activities are at the forefront of the university. Don’t like research? Join a startup. Don’t want to be part of a startup? Join a sports team. Not a big sports person? Join a club. Anything you can think of-- there’s a club for that. And if there isn’t, you can make one, or find something in Boston to fill your free time. Between Boston life and campus activities, there’s never a dull moment, especially over the summer. Classes are held all around the world through Northeastern’s “Dialogue of Civilizations” offering a unique cultural and educational experience.

Michaela

I think Northeastern University is a diverse community with its quirks. But, every school you'll look at as it's downsides. Most of Northeastern's downsides are tied to either the fact that our campus is confined to the space we already have or the administrations desire to move up in the ranks. Overall, it's a beautiful campus with wonderful people. There's a club or organization for everyone, and plenty of people to get to know.

Jey

Wonderful school providing a holistic experience. Small class sizes enable you to establish personal connections and relationships with your professors who can really help you expand your network and be a lifelong resource. Co-op program is unbeatable. Going to school in one of the most charming cities in the world is a dream come true. Lots of wealthy students (many international), but many from all other economic strata as well. Go Huskies!

Craig

NEU is a great school in every aspect! The professors are always willing to help, the administration staff is always looking out for you if you need help with scheduling or other guidance needs and the campus is right in the center of Boston with lots going on.

Alexandra

I think northeastern is a highly academically driven diverse campus rich with opportunities. I have not yet begun class but I have already seen the state of the are classrooms and work spaces. Staff are incredibly friendly and students stay positive acting members of the community

Julian

I transferred into Northeastern in my Sophomore year. From the city, to the diverse, inclusive culture, transferring to NEU was probably the best decision I have made. As a transfer student, it was hard at first, but there are many opportunities to get involved and there's always a lot going on depending on your preferences. Countless concerts, MFA overnight events, free food, visiting speakers. The campus is always a fun place to be and there's always a lot to do.

Allison

Northeastern offers an extremely wide variety of opportunities, whether they are extracurriculars, additional minors/certificates, or study abroad opportunities. This makes it incredibly easy to be involved (but also easy to become overwhelmed). The primary strength of Northeastern is the co-op program, which allows students to work in their field of study before graduation. The co-op program gives students experience, not only to put on a resume and get an advantage over other job competitors, but also to establish that their field of study is really what they want to do for the rest of their lives. Other features that Northeastern offers are Dialogues of Civilization (summer experiences where students take classes in an international setting, often with practical applications during the courses), involvement in the community through volunteering, and opportunities for students to participate in research with their professors and on their own. Housing is required for the first two years, and while there are some decidedly mediocre living areas, there are also many new dorms, and a large amount of really nice apartment-style rooms for upperclassmen. Facilities are top-notch, especially in the many newer buildings (a new Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering center opened January 2017). Even the relatively old buildings are renovated on a regular basis, so facilities are never too out-of-date. Class sizes can vary widely, but upper-level courses tend to have smaller classes (30 or less). Professors are generally extremely accommodating and responsive even outside of class hours.

Zak

Dude, don't go. Overpriced, greedy, apathetic school. I know plenty of people who have gone on co-op at much cheaper schools and have accomplished just as much, if not, more by either looking for opportunities on their own or asking a professor. Honestly, northeastern offers nothing unique. The students may be nice but that has nothing to do with the school, you will go just as far at any college but this one is overpriced and sometimes it feels limiting.

Katie

I absolutely love it at Northeastern. Everyone I've met here has been super friendly and super willing to help. While Northeastern is very academic and career-driven (thanks in large part to its renowned co-op program), students here are very eager to help each other succeed. Located in the heart of Boston, there is always something for students to do outside of school as well. Being such a large school with so many different students, there is also an abundance of clubs available on campus and you are sure to find your fit -- be it greek life, club sports, academic clubs, cultural clubs, etc.. While Northeastern is certainly not a "traditional" college (with so many kids moving on and off for co-ops, study abroads, etc.), there are many ways in which it still offers the traditional college experience, such as going to hockey games (like the annual Beanpot tournament), going to off-campus frat parties, and just spending more time on-campus and signing up for a bunch of clubs. This is probably the best part of being at Northeastern: I know my education is unique as I get to apply what I learn in the classroom to real-life work experience. Yet, I don't feel like I'm lacking any of the "traditional" college experiences everyone talks so much about. Could not recommend the school more highly.

Kaitlin

Northeastern University is a competitive college, full of intellectual students. The campus is beautiful: a rural-like campus in the middle of the city. Northeastern has a diverse environment to learn in. Transportation and hospitals are conveniently located around the campus. The staff is very friendly and keeps students feel connected with the university.

Lyne

Northeastern doesn't foster a typical college environment and you won't have a typical college experience. However, the university well prepares you for work life after college through experiences and connections.

Destinee

As a high school junior from California, I had never even heard of Northeastern. They sent me an application with a fee waiver and I thought "eh, why not apply?" So I did. I had never been to the east coast but after being wait-listed from my top choice, I went ahead and enrolled. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. Northeastern is known for its co-op program where students take semesters off to complete internships. Once I arrived, I found that wasn't the only good thing they had to offer. The study abroad program is extremely robust and as a student there, I participated in two summer semesters abroad. Not only that, but all three of my co-ops were outside of the Boston area. Northeastern provides plenty of opportunity for students to travel and put the skills learned in the classroom to good use. They have programs such as NU-in where incoming freshman students start their academic career abroad. Also, alternative spring break, where students sign up to volunteer for service projects such as building wells or designing efficient waste systems in cities across America and abroad. Northeastern prides itself on offering programs like these.They call it Experiential Learning, and boy what an experience I had! I am graduating next year with a full time job, 8 new stamps on my passport, and an engineering degree. While Northeastern has its setbacks, like housing and most recently the campus food, they offer many opportunities for students to learn outside of the classroom. From professors holding classes outside, to alternative spring break, to international co-op and study abroad, Northeastern makes sure you get your monies worth. This west coast girl definitely recommends!

Claude

I believe Northeaster University is a good school for Global and International studies. Its faculty has real world experience and is dedicated to sharing their knowledge and insights with the students. The grading seems fair and assignments are well explained, with ample time for completion. I have not experienced any study/work abroad or internships yet, but I trust those opportunities will be rewarding and available.

Kristine

THE COOP PROGRAM IS GREAT!!! its nice to take a break from classes for a whole semester and it is not just a break but its an opportunity to gain skills in your field or any other field that you might be interested in so that by the end of your college life, you are well equipped with real life work experience which is AMAZING!

Sandra

Northeastern University is a great school. The campus is very spread and welcoming, similar to the students. Being in Boston it’s close by maybe things to do ignore you get on campus. The on-campus housing is good and spacious. There is even a train that runs though campus.

Miranda

Overall, I have enjoyed Northeastern. The coop program is amazing and truly has prepared me for real world. However because the coop program keeping friends is harder and collective school spirit is lower than other schools. Additionally, the school accepts too many students so housing is a problem.

Kaline

Northeastern University is good for anyone who wants to pursue something science or business-related. Overall we have pretty good food, amazing clubs/sports activities, plenty of opportunities to diversify your intellectual thinking and ethnic friend group, great on-campus resources including a tutoring center for every subject and office hours where most teachers are inviting. The location is great since we are surrounded by other college campuses as well, but food places do close very early so we love to deliver here. Some downfalls is the money (super expensive) issue since I'd say this college is pretty money-hungry so some facilities or resources seem unfairly divided out simply to optimize their cash influx, others include that some teachers cannot teach but they have PHD's in the field and are good at research so there are always job opportunities. Stwest is the worst housing for freshman: don't do it. The best thing about Northeastern though is their co-ops! It's true! You can do whatever you want (assuming your GPA is appropriate) and go wherever you want. This is the best school if you want actual, real-life experience.