Shawnee, OK
Oklahoma Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oklahoma Baptist University

Brandi

Dear Brandi, don't be an idiot. Make sure that you thoroughly consider all your options for school. Talk to people about different majors you're interested in. Get familiar with credits and how college works. Go on multiple campus tours. If you have even the slightest interest in a college, go check it out! You will only do this once in your life. Don't settle for comfort or convenience. Track down the college best suited for your education as well as your bank account. Work for scholarships. They're out there, you just have to find them. Follow your heart. Pick the school that will give you the best education for your field. If you're gonna get a degree, don't cheapen it by going somewhere easy. Challenge yourself. It's okay to get out of your comfort zone. The rest of your life depends on this decision, so make sure you've made the right one. Step out on the ledge, take a leap. But remember that wherever you go, there is no college that God is not already at to guide you.

The worst thing about OBU is the feeling of being in a bubble on campus. Shawnee is a very drug influenced town and OBU seems to shut itself off from the community. The students there are either there on academic scholarship or preacher's kids desiring a degree in Bible/ Ministry/ Cross cultural ministries. OBU has no problem collecting $80,000 tuition for a degree that all Christians should have as followers of Christ, not because they got a fancy education.

Someone who is very accustomed to a small school setting would be happy here. Students interested in religious degrees couldn't find a better university for their educational interests.

Skyla

My school is a smaller University. I love this because in all of my classes that I have taken the average number of students was twenty. At OBU, everyone here is like a family. The teachers and staff genuinely care about you. Also, because of the school size I am able to participate in Cheerleading and Dive.

There are four important things that i would tell my high school self. One, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships! Money does not grow on trees. In college I have learned that the hard way. Everytime your mother nags at you to fill out more applications, do it. Seriously, it will be less stressful in the end. Secondly, high school drama does not matter. After you graduate, popularity, boy drama, and most friendships are irrelevant. You will realize this when only your true friends stick around. Thirdly, do not take your family for granted. Show them how much you love and appreciate them. Once you are at college you will realize all that they did for you. Lastly, cherish every moment of your senior year. Live and enjoy every game, play production, and school day like it is your last. This is the last year you get to spend with the people you have went to school with for thirteen years. Appreciate what is right in front of you and stop looking to far in the future. LIve in the moment.

I wish I would have known more history behind OBU.

Jordon

SAVE MONEY! Get Another job and save as much money as you POSSIBLY can! Also note to self, you can't compete with your friends whos parents provide them with money so its okay to say, "no I can't go out for coffee, this time."

I wish That I had know more about money managment.

The most furstrating thing about my school is the amount of money it cost to attend and the fact that you HAVE to live on campus unless you are 21 or Married!

Krysta

Small Classes and Low student to professor ratios

Small Classes and Low student to professor ratios

College is where you discover who you really are. It is where you will find out what really matters to you and the things you want to fight for in your life. Although you are eighteen and think you have all the answers, you do not. Everything you think you want to do with your life will change in the next two years. So relax. Enjoy life, because it will pass quickly. College is an experience you do not want to miss. You do not always have to strive to be the best in everything. You are going to make a few bad grades. You will fail your first exam because you didn't know there was a back side. However, as long as you work hard and stay committed you will do fine. Stay open to new possibilities and new friendships, and do not be afraid to let go of the things in your life that aren't good for you, including people. Be ready for anything and remember who you are. You are going to learn a lot about yourself, but you are still going to be you. Do not let anyone change that!

Money used on programs that don't directly affect current students

Erica

I'd tell me to not start out as a Worship Arts major, because I learned quickly that was not what I wanted, and to go to chapel more that first semester because it would help me get through, emotionally. I'd tell me to buy more socks and get more sleep, and that making a B is okay; I'm at a private Christian university and it's harder than the high school I had a 4.4 GPA in. I'd also tell me to jump for the worship leading opportunities I'm given, and don't stress about money as much. God is in control.

Someone who is an athiest or Catholic prolably wouldn't do well, because of the Protestant leanings that are integrated into all the curriculum.

Jake

My school is a very traditional baptist school.

My school is a very traditional baptist school.

Great and faithful Christians. We all get along great and they are always willing to lend a helping hand.

If i could go back in time i would make sure that I would have gotten better grades in Highschool and that i would have learned to study better. The transition from highschool classes to college classes is very big, so you need to be ready to work harder.

Corrie

Chosing OBU was a great choice! College is similar to what you think it is, but don't worry- everything is completely possible to do, and you'll do fine. Don't set super high expectations on people. No matter how wonderful the friends you make are, they are only human and there will be conflict when you live in close courters. Fight for the friendships though! They are worth it. Confrontation is difficult, but strengthens the relationships in the end and makes your experience at OBU memorable and approves upon your character. Overall, don't worry too much- everything will work out just fine. OBU will help you grow to be a better person through the trials and the triumphs and will make a lasting impression on your life.

Someone who prefers large schools they can either blend in with or party a lot at. Also, someone who is not a people person or has a negative view of christians who enjoy life.

Probably the lack of clarity in financial services after acceptance and attendance at this school. Also, the price of meal plans compared to the quality/options for food.

My Classsmates are people that one could be lifelong friends with, they are caring and always willing to help each other.

College is a place full of new poeple to meet be open to others around you, there are good friendships waiting to be made. Also be open to the learning that is ahead of you and how knowledge of the world around you will impact how you live and view things day to day. The hardest thing about college is change and it is just a major part of living and most of the time it is good, so embrace it and do not run from it, if you don't like something change it. College is a wonderful oportunity and the time you have at college is precious so do not waste it, but pursue it and use it to change your life for the better.

My schools acedemic acheivments and job placement percentage.

Jamie

Don't worry so much about leaving high school. In a year you won't even care to see most of your classmates and you will realize just how shallow those friendships were. Just because those people are familiar does not mean that they are what you need, or even really want. The friendships that you will make in your first year of college will mean more to you than many of those that you have had since preschool. The few that do matter, cultivate, even if it seems weird or hard. Let those people know that they are special to you, and be there for them. Don't cling to shallow friendships because they are easy and familiar, keep your focus on those you want to keep in the years to come.

OBU is a Baptist liberal arts college with a goal of our faith being integrated into the classroom. If you would like a school where you are encouraged to think deeply, even sometimes question, your faith in Jesus Christ, this is a great place. School rules are conservative and reflect our faith.

People that want a big-city atmosphere should probably look elsewhere. Shawnee is a nice-size city with a mall and plenty of places to eat, and is an hour away from Oklahoma City, but is relatively small and quiet.

Lovin

College is the entrance to the real world. If one did not go through that door, he/ she might struggle in their life. In college, I have learned and experienced many lifelong lessons from other students, who I met through my campus life. College gives order to my life. For example, through my college life, I have learned to be punctual, responsible, and social. In order to attend my classes, I have to be punctual. I have to wake up at the right time to catch the bus which transports me to the campus. Moreover, I have to be responsible for my grades and other actions that I make in college. In my campus life, I have the opportunity to get involved with seven different campus-wide clubs which improve my social life. As a foreign student, improving communication skills is a great saving to my life. In short, college life helps me to become a good person.

Oklahoma Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.