Shawnee, OK
Oklahoma Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oklahoma Baptist University

OBU is a Christian liberal arts university that strives to help its students become more fully human.

You've made it this far, now keep going! College requires more self-motivation but is also a lot more fun!

One should attend OBU if one wants a Christian liberal arts education at a small, community-oriented campus.

Arturo

I would make use I studied all the material. You have to read a lot in college. As well as make sure you are responsible, there is no one in college that is going to hold your hand and make sure you do your work. You are responsible for yourself and no one else. Appreciate the free time you have in high school, make the best out of it. Once you get to college you won't have as much free time. Also be involved in a club or organization, it helps with your college scholarships and you will also be more social. It will be tough to come to an unknown place and try to fit in.

The worst thing is that there are times when we can be overloaded with work from every class and have to pull a couple of all-nighters. Which then make us sleep deprived so we are less aware during class.

Andre

My school is best known for its traditions and legacy. We are the one university that is known throughout the United States.

My school is a private school and has less students than a public college would have. The classes only have at least 20 students in each classroom which allows the students to be more comfortable and the professors are more one on one with the students.

I would tell myself to applt for more scholarships and raise more money for school. Be prepared for anything and keep your head up because life's to short to be down all the time.

Kate

As I look back on what I have learned in the last 18 months, I would tell myself to challenge myself even more than I did. I should have worked more in order to pay for school, since I pay for college alone. The financial aspect would be a huge topic that I would discuss. Also, I would advise myself in friendships. Here in college my friendships are more broad and I have a lot more friends than I did in high school, but this is after learning here in college. In the beginning it was hard to find friends that were genuine. Now I have really good freinds. I wish I would have had that in high school to transition with. Furthermore, I think that I would have told myself to draw a little closer to my family before I left, because once I got up here it was hard being a way from them all the time. Other than a few basic things, that is what I would advise myself if I were to return to my high school senior self.

the worst thing about our school is that the student body leaves campus, for the most part, every weekend.

the work load sometimes. working on campus, off campus and then going to school full time is a huge burden. and having a ton of homework is frustrating

Jeffrey

The biggest piece of advice that I would give myself if I could go back to my senior year is to apply myself. In most schools, senior is usually the easiest year because most students have fulfilled most of the requirements to graduate. I would advise against taking an easy year. If you challenge yourself in high school, then you will better prepared for the challenges of college. Even if the student plans on attending a Jr. college my advice would be the same. I would also advise them to take challenging classes in the Jr. college and to really apply themselves in every class they have whether it be organic chemistry or underwater basket weaving. Always do the best you can in every class you take.

I wish that I would have known that four year colleges are the real deal. I previously went to a community college and the work was far from hard. The teachers in four year colleges demand perfection and it is your responsibility to give it to them. If I had known this then I would have taked my community college time more seriously and would have taken more challenging classes. Because I did not do this, I feel that I am at a disadvantage and now I have to work extra hard to make up for this.

The most frustrating thing about my school is all courses that are required to graduate. Because I attended a community college for the first half of my college career, I was under the impression that I had taken all of my general education classes that I needed to take. When I arrived, I discovered that I had at least six more classes that I needed to fit into my already busy schedule.

Amy

I would tell myelf that this is not going to be easy, however you can do it! Continually surround yourself with good influences and positive people. Stay proactive and do not let an event, teacher, or coach get you down on life or get in the way of you getting your stuff done. People are going to get under your skin and college is such a learning experience when it comes to learning how to communicate with people in society. Also, remember to always do your best at all times for education is not something that you don't pay for to just get through. Take advantage of the hard times and relish in your successful times. For getting an education is an opportunity that most do not get to have. It goes by fast so make the moment of every experience, learn from your mistakes, and savor the laughs. Follow your heart and make sure you study something that makes you happy. Lastly good luck!

The worst thing that I think is hendering OBU is its location. It is not very appealing to perspective students and can be a turn off.

Someone who is not a Christian and is looking for a school where they can go out a party constantly. Also anyone who is looking for a school that has a football cause we do not.

Sam

OBU is a wonderfully challenging place to learn and to meet and bond with people that gives encouragement from faculty and professors as students go along the journey of their life, and thus their faith.

Be open! College can be the place where you discover so many new things about yourself that you love and some that you need to work on, or it can be a place that makes you feel small and uncomfortable and unhappy. Don't even worry about fitting in, everyone else coming to OBU is in the EXACT same boat you are; they don't know many people (if any) either, and they are just as nervous about meeting new people and adjusting to a new way of life. Simply go talk to them. Put yourself out there; join up in some clubs you think are worthwhile. Studying is something you will really need to work on. Trust me, I saw you in high school, and you need to work on it. You can succeed in so many ways here if you just open yourself to the idea that everything, even our faith, plays into your academic journey in a way you have probably never thought of before. There is knowledge to be known and mastered, and people to be befriended and loved; maybe even a REALLY special someone! I know you can do it, just give everything you have.

OBU is great about connecting students to other students, faculty, and the community around us, as well as engaging them academically to improve in all of these areas by getting involved socially on campus or volunteering in town. Also OBU focuses on a well-rounded collegiate experience, which challenges students physically, mentally, spiritually, and socially, with a large emphasis on integrating our faith with what we learn in the classroom; what is typically considered "secular," in order to become a contributing member of society as well as our faith.

Veronica

OBU celebrates the integration of faith and learning by exploring a full liberal arts education.

Don't be so prideful. In the next four years, you will have a much better experience if you realize that you don't hold all of the answers. Come into this experience and one who is thankful and open-minded. Seek learning before it finds you the hard way. These are about to be the best four years of your life. Approach them with the mindset that will allow you to get the most out of them. Let it shape who you already are into a more complete person. Study hard! You're going to need it, even if you didn't in high school. But it's worth it. Here you will learn things that you never knew to question. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Joshua

look for a college that doesn't appeal to because it is large or because it is small, or because it is well know or world renowned in a field of study. Pick a college that has a sense of community and that appeals to your heart. This is the most important thing in choosing a college. If you don't feel connection to the campus you live on and the other students and faculty you are surrounded by then you will not be as able to learn.

Oklahoma Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.