Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

A colorful, never-ending variety of activites, students, professors, and classes with a focus only on what the student wants to get out of college.....not what the university wants you to get out of college, while still maintaining a strong academic, athletic, a career-oriented setting.

I think my school is best know for it's work in the community and with the environment; Portland State is a very strong and tight-knit group of students and faculty who have developed classes that are focused on bettering the world we live in.

I haven't attended my college for very long....but what little I've seen and done around campus has definitely awakened my interest. The students and faculty all have a deep desire to learn, to create, to explore. There's no end to the available classes and activites at Portland State, and there is always something new and different to try. I love the easy-going spirit of the place, it keeps me relaxed in high-stress situations, and I love the helpful attitude of everyone who works or attends PSU. So far in my limited college experience I have discovered a love of learning, something I didn't have in years past, and has not only made my experience more entertaining, but has shown me the over-all value of learning. Portland State has inspired me to explore, to question, to persevere, and most importantly, to enjoy all life has to offer.

Karen

Portland State University is a comfortable place to stretch your education wings and feel supported while you reach your academic goals.

As a returning student (I didn't start till I was 38) I had no idea what school would do for me. I only knew it was a goal I wanted for myself. Having an education has changed the way I look at the world, interact with people, operate in my daily life, and has given me the opportunity to provide options for others to see their way out of the box of ignorance. I can not say enough about the benefits of having an education. I still continue friendships, and opportunitites developed during my years of education.

How easy it was to enroll and how cool it would be to attend there. I waited too long to apply.

I have learned so much about my field of study it blows my mind, also through hard courses that demand a lot of work I have become a stronger person who isn't afraid of deadlines. I know I can do it and do it well. I thought I would be in school forever but through their programs I will be able to finish sooner then I thought with the tools I need to be very sucessful in life and a strong chance of being hired and desired by employers.

A person who is open minded and enjoys the outdoors. There is a lot of diversity amont people and thats great, there are also a lot of outdoor activities to take advantage of.

Michelle

Out of my college experience I have gotten a higher degree of education and a greater respect for learning and of those pursuing their goals, not only through mental development but thorough personality and character development as well. It is an honor and a value to attend college because in doing so, dreams of the future are increasingly attainable. With education comes knowledge, ideas, enlightenment and hope which could very well change the way we exist.

It has the largest student body in any other university in Portland, OR. It is also very diverse and there are people who come from all over the world to attend the school. It is located in beautiful downtown Portland and the application process is very easy. They try to accommodate as many people as possible.

My college experience as a whole has been very unique to the average college student. I have attended 3 Universities. The first of which was Dillard University in New Orleans, LA. My first year at Dillard was fantastic! I met all types of people from all walks of life and I knew that if that was just the beginning, the future was going to be amazing. Little did I know what the future held for me. August 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit and I was forced to evacuate. Everything that I had worked so hard for in high school was taken away. I can't even explain the devastation. Several of my peers died in the hurricane, I lost everything, had no money, no place to go. You may be wondering why this is valuable to my college experience? I learned to not take college for granted. I learned to enjoy every step of the way, enjoy each experience and the friends you make because it can be taken away so easily. College is so valuable and it is important to live the college experience to its full potential.

Someone who is uncomfortable around a diverse setting. (age, race, gender, religious preference.) Also, someone who does not enjoy the rain, because Portland is a very rainy city.

Melissa

With only a 10th grade education and a G.E.D. I knew there was not much for me to do out there. It was not until I started to work at a treatment center for juveniles that I decided what I really wanted to do with my life. Getting to know those kids and hear their stories made me want to do more with my life. I want to show them that you can do better for yourself even if you had a difficult childhood. I am now 24 and have enrolled in ITT Technical Institute. I am going to get an Associate?s Degree in Criminal Justice, then a Bachelor?s degree in Criminal Justice. My dream is to become a juvenile probation officer. The main question they ask you is ?Why do you deserve a scholarship??. For me that is a hard question to answer. There are many students who did well in high school that may ?deserve? a scholarship. I do not believe that because I decided to take a different route to graduation that it should be harder for me to get an education

lea

Academically speaking, my relatively brief college experience (2-year Associate of Arts Degree) has answered many questions about many things that I have been wondering about for many years. The many things I have learned have helped me to narrow my search for a second career, although with so many interests, I am still working diligently to find where I might fit in best in the working world. I am no longer able to perform as well as I would like in the field I have always been in (professional musician/writer) , but I have been blessed with a strong work ethic and I always put my all into everything I do. I want to make sure I end up in the right field. I have narrowed my possible second careers to Astro Biology/Physics, Science Education, Addiction Counseling, Psychology, and Human/Animal Rights Education. Attending college has been valuable for another reason: I have learned much about myself as well as others, how I relate to others, and how the many different kinds of people relate to each other. This information has helped me to find my (new) place as a sober adult who contributes positively to society.

The best thing about PSU is the variety of majors offered, which in turn brings a variety of students to the campus.

A serious student should attend PSU

Bianca

I have learned greater study, reading, note-taking and people skills. I have been challenged and have succeded. Going to college will be a valuable expierience because I will be able to use what I have learned and apply it for years to come.

I went straight to college after I graduated high school. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and I went for it. I have only completed 1 and a half semesters so far and it's not as easy as what I thought it would be. College has made it to where I have alot more responsibilities but it has also made me very strong. Most of my time is dedicated to my education, and when I finish I will be able to go out in this competeting job force, and work with a law degree. I will finally be able to have a job that not only I could make great money, but it is also something i will love and look forward going to work for everyday.

Melinda

My classmates were very diverse with a wide age range and culturally and racially diverse backgrounds.

I've learned that you must pursue what you love. I completed a bachelor's degree in a field I considered practical. When I later was able to return to school, I realized that I wanted to enter a field that drew on my unique talents, specific strengths, and personal interests. The 'practical' degree I had obtained wasn't enough to project me into a career I would love. I ended up completing a second bachelor's degree with entirely different prerequisites and classes necessary for the professional degree I am now pursuing. Had I trusted my instincts and studied a major less 'practical' but better suiting my interests and personality, I would have saved time and money. Don't let anyone tell you that what you want to study is not applicable in the real world. Do it. Excel in it. It will pay off in the end.

I had no idea how difficult and demanding my major would be.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.