Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Anastasia

Growing up in a relatively small town causes an individual to become attached to the people and comforting environment. In my senior year of high school I remember discussing with friends what colleges they were applying to. It seemed that most of them were staying in-state. Most of my friends applied to OSU. Naturally, I did too. I was afraid of branching out and being in a totally new environment. I feared being alone. I would have rather gone to U of O, but all my friends wanted to go to OSU. Consequently, I only applied to OSU. I later regretted this decision. I didn't like OSU at all. The university felt too big, the classes were enormous, the tests didn't adequately assess my knowledge, and I didn't feel like I fit in. After being at PSU for a term I can honestly say that I feel happier and more challenged. None of my high school friends are at PSU. So, if I were to tell my younger self a piece of advice I would tell her to try something new, don't follow your friends because you're afraid of uncharted territory.

I love the smaller, intimate classes that PSU offers. It encourages enlighening discussions. Because of the smaller classes, the teachers seem to be much more invested in the learning of students. They have a passion for what they teach and they spread that around the classroom.

Portland is the perfect place for those who are creative, open-minded, and eager to try new things. PSU is not the ideal school for close-minded, conservative, and strict religious individuals.

Vanessa

advising myself on how to prepare for college now: i would definitely say to expect the unexpected. in high school are courses are chosen for us for the most part and we get to choose a few electives here and there and boom we are done. in college; as we grow learn and develop, not only do we start to change but we begin to really learn who we are. i noticed myself not giving myself room to learn grow and change. i thought i had to stay in this box and only do with the room alloted. i know now that i will constantly be changing and to change my mind is okay, and to want to step outside of the box is okay as well. i would say to myself that education is limitless so aim for the sky, the infinite goal, broaden your horizon and step outside of the box; dont be afraid to challenge yourself or get to know who you really are.

class sized, my biology class had more than 250 students and it was very tough. the teachers are not able to have a personal connection with all of the students as i think they should and you are nothing more than a face in a crowd.

someone who is capable of self teaching and who is well disciplined. there are a lot of students in the classes and teachers are not always able to give attention to everyone. they need to be outgoing and be sure to be assertive to insure that they get what they need out of the class and experience.

Andrew

A beautiful school seated in the downtown area of Portland, Oregon, with access to multiple forms of public transportation, as well as being close to a handful of music venues for concerts.

My classmates are a diverse group of individuals, ranging from local residents to students that are studying abroad, but their goals are all the same - to expand their knowledge base and achieve their goals in life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to stay focused. even though I would have heard it a million times by then. Losing focus during my first two terms in school has definitely come back to haunt me, and I would make sure that I didn't make that mistake again. I realize that this is much easier said than done, as peer pressure and poor decision making is a fact of life, but that doesn't mean I'd try my hardest to not repeat the mistakes of my past. Having fun is one thing, and going to school is another - they should stay separated, and should never interfere with one another. When that happens, things become jumbled up - I became too focused on partying and having fun, and lost sight of my goal as an Engineer. That will never happen again, and if I could go back in time, I would show myself what would happen if I became too caught up in the dark things that I once was. The story would be convincing enough for me to want to do well in school.

Nipuni

When you want to contribute to the world with the education you earn, Portland State University helps you achieve that, as they help students serve the world with their knowledge.

As teenagers, many of us tend to think we know everything there is to know when we graduate from high school. Many of us tend to go to University, just because our parents did the same thing. However, what we really need to see is why our parents did it. Sometimes it is not necessarily about getting a well-paid job. Of course, college degree opens many doors for us to earn a higher salary. However, it is more than just a higher paycheck. You learn so much knowledge about how you can contribute to the world?s future. It could be business degree, but you learn how to help others (your employees, customers etc.) . It could be a medical degree. It is not just a higher paycheck or saving a life. In addition, how you help the world by saving someone else?s life. Main advice I would like to give is, sometimes we tend to disregards our elder?s advice. Please do not simply disregard the advice nor take advice blindly. Many times, since they have more experience in life, many advice we get from our teachers, parents could very much help us to shape up our future.

I did my bachelor's at Portland State University. I am currently enrolled in Marylhurst University for my MBA program. Both schools environment has been very student friendly. Both schools always appreciate and value the students for choosing to continue their education, as it is one of the main important factors for the future of our country and the world. They have always offered so many programs to support students to continue their education, when they face many obstacles in their lifes.

Victoria

Environmentally friendly and liberal campus in a beautiful urban setting, filled with a community of diverse students.

Prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for the responsibility and amount of work which must be done at a university. You are now responsible for everything you do in this new place. Ask upperclassmen and use those resources that teach you good time management and study skills. Higher education is harder, but putting in the effort is rewarding. Also, open up your mind and take advantage of your surroundings. You are in a place filled with incredibly bright people and educational resources and information are almost endless. Don't simply just go to class and memorize mindless facts, but explore your thoughts and ideas. Your professors are here to help and they almost always love engaging students in intellectual conversations or just answering your questions. Don't forget to meet people on campus. Attend club meetings, look into the extracurricular activities offered or just chat with a random student at the coffee shop. Study groups are so helpful but also a great way to network. The first year is about learning, exploration and growth. Take advantage of the oppurtunities that become available once you decide to invest in higher education. Don't be afraid! Make the most of your college years.

Every student should know before attending a university that time management is crucial. A concise and clear understanding of your professors expectations along with a student's time management is essential for success in higher education. Portland State is an urban campus and many people commute, but by no means does that mean there is a lack of community. Students seeking community and extracurricular activities are not lacking in resources, but do have to seek these resources out. The campus is beautiful and exploration of the area is a must.

Catherine

The best advice I could give, would be to just do what honestly interests you, and to study what you love. So many students I have met over the years, are forcing themselves through rigorous, challenging majors they have little interest in, all for the sake of the prospect of a future career. Even if they made it, they would then be working for years in a field that never captivated their true interest in the first place, and in that aspect their whole educational experience could be called a failure. Although it is easy to go down this path, and pressures to do so come from all sides, even internally, the only way to get the most out of your education, and to set up for the life you truly with be happy leading, is to simply follow what you really want. Doing so takes courage , as well as standing up to possible opposition, but it is only your choice that should dictate your education and the way you want it to help build your life. If you can start out with this mindset, going to college will truly open up your mind and your world.

Mikaela

The whole college experience is different than other schools because it is in the city and not a party school. There is so much other fun stuff to do. The other school i considered was WSU which is the second largest party school in the nation which is why i chose not to go there. I would prefer to live in the city and have my fun here. which is why i chose PSU.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to save all my graduation money because being in college and on your own makes it hard to keep money in your pocket. Getting a job the first year of college is hard because you are figuring out how much homework there really is in college. Living on your own, you need to buy the necesseties like a percription or toothpaste, not having the money and always having to ask your parents makes it seem like you can't make it on your own. Having that back up money to go to would be really nice to have in times of need.

I always brag to them about how it is right downtown and in the city. Portland State is not just a secluded college campus and it is spreadout throughout the city and easy to get anywhere. I always explain the transit system and how wonderful it is not to have a car. I always explain how wonderful the city life is.

Genesee

My classmates consist of 20-something guys and gals who are all eager to learn and who enjoy living in the beautiful city of Portland.

Genesee! I need you to listen to me. I understand that you are going through a lot, and I know that you believe college is not attainable... but it is and you can make it happen! You are so smart and have so much potential. Sure, if you decide to get a job and work, instead of continuing with school, you will do just fine. I know you will because I did and I am you! However, I can assure you that you will hit a wall and all the while you will wish that you had gone straight to college from high school. Returning to school after a long gap is extremely difficult not only emotionally and mentally, but financially as well. GO NOW. Period. If you are scared, find someone to help you. I'm sure Mrs. Wallace would love to help you. She knows how colleges operate and she can lead you to where you need to go. As for paying for college? Get enrolled, apply for financial aid and scholarships, and tuition will be covered. You can do it!! And my final advice: ask questions, communicate your needs, set goals, and meet with an advisor regularly.

I consider the lack of undegraduate research opportunities to be the bigget 'con' to attending PSU. In response to an inquiry to my advisor about how I could get involved with research or projects in my major area, her response was that I am too young in my academic career to have any valuable input on a project. I'm a junior in mathematics and I am sure there is plenty I should be doing.

Carolyn

I am not really sure, but I would have to guess it is the diversity of the students, as well as the programs offered. We have a rather large campus that is situated right in the middle of Downtown Portland. I am in the Criminology and Criminal Justice Program, so this is what I know the most about here at PSU. They love their students and offer us great student support to meet a wide variety of needs.(tutoring, computer labs, academic support, etc).

As a college senior I would remind myself of the importance to spend time(3hrs. per 1 hr. in class) outside of school hours studying and working on assignments. I would tell myself no matter how hard things get, "Do Not Give Up." Use the student support services that are offered and go and see my instructors/professors during their office hours as much as possible for their support, but also to build a more personal relationship. I would insist on getting more sleep, adopting a healthy diet, get exercise daily, and take some time to relax. I would talk about reasons why I should always give me best in my studies, meet several people and build relationships amongst people on campus, take part in campus groups, and volunteer in the community. I would dedicate time to researching and applying for all scholarships that I qualify for so that I could keep down the amount of student loans needed to get my education. One huge thing I would tell myself though is to not overload my schedule in an attempt to get through my education in lightning speed, but be realistic with what is manageable to do well.

I don' concider it a "worse thing" about PSU itself, but my commute to get there is a little of a pain. Haven't discovered anything I don't like about my school as of yet.

Heather

Portland State University is young, fresh and in the middle of downtown, making it a central part of the community and a great place to learn and grow.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to spend a lot more time on scholarships. I would also recommend applying to schools early and seeing what scholarships the schools offer and what their deadlines are. Besides scholarships, I would also tell myself to spend more time looking for a job, because money is short in college and job experience and money are both important for a college student. And for college itself, I would tell myself to go to all the orientation and welcome activies. I would remend myself to get involved and meet new people and make new friends. Last but not least, I would tell myself to have fun, because college is not only learning in the classroom, but gaining more life experience from the increased freedoms and learning about one's own self.

The kind of people who attend Portland State University are determined and bright minds. The average age of those attending PSU is higher than that of many universities, and so there is a greater variety then at other schools. There is also quite a few transfer students, and many internationals students.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.