Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Nipuni

When you want to contribute to the world with the education you earn, Portland State University helps you achieve that, as they help students serve the world with their knowledge.

As teenagers, many of us tend to think we know everything there is to know when we graduate from high school. Many of us tend to go to University, just because our parents did the same thing. However, what we really need to see is why our parents did it. Sometimes it is not necessarily about getting a well-paid job. Of course, college degree opens many doors for us to earn a higher salary. However, it is more than just a higher paycheck. You learn so much knowledge about how you can contribute to the world?s future. It could be business degree, but you learn how to help others (your employees, customers etc.) . It could be a medical degree. It is not just a higher paycheck or saving a life. In addition, how you help the world by saving someone else?s life. Main advice I would like to give is, sometimes we tend to disregards our elder?s advice. Please do not simply disregard the advice nor take advice blindly. Many times, since they have more experience in life, many advice we get from our teachers, parents could very much help us to shape up our future.

I did my bachelor's at Portland State University. I am currently enrolled in Marylhurst University for my MBA program. Both schools environment has been very student friendly. Both schools always appreciate and value the students for choosing to continue their education, as it is one of the main important factors for the future of our country and the world. They have always offered so many programs to support students to continue their education, when they face many obstacles in their lifes.

Victoria

Environmentally friendly and liberal campus in a beautiful urban setting, filled with a community of diverse students.

Prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for the responsibility and amount of work which must be done at a university. You are now responsible for everything you do in this new place. Ask upperclassmen and use those resources that teach you good time management and study skills. Higher education is harder, but putting in the effort is rewarding. Also, open up your mind and take advantage of your surroundings. You are in a place filled with incredibly bright people and educational resources and information are almost endless. Don't simply just go to class and memorize mindless facts, but explore your thoughts and ideas. Your professors are here to help and they almost always love engaging students in intellectual conversations or just answering your questions. Don't forget to meet people on campus. Attend club meetings, look into the extracurricular activities offered or just chat with a random student at the coffee shop. Study groups are so helpful but also a great way to network. The first year is about learning, exploration and growth. Take advantage of the oppurtunities that become available once you decide to invest in higher education. Don't be afraid! Make the most of your college years.

Every student should know before attending a university that time management is crucial. A concise and clear understanding of your professors expectations along with a student's time management is essential for success in higher education. Portland State is an urban campus and many people commute, but by no means does that mean there is a lack of community. Students seeking community and extracurricular activities are not lacking in resources, but do have to seek these resources out. The campus is beautiful and exploration of the area is a must.

Catherine

The best advice I could give, would be to just do what honestly interests you, and to study what you love. So many students I have met over the years, are forcing themselves through rigorous, challenging majors they have little interest in, all for the sake of the prospect of a future career. Even if they made it, they would then be working for years in a field that never captivated their true interest in the first place, and in that aspect their whole educational experience could be called a failure. Although it is easy to go down this path, and pressures to do so come from all sides, even internally, the only way to get the most out of your education, and to set up for the life you truly with be happy leading, is to simply follow what you really want. Doing so takes courage , as well as standing up to possible opposition, but it is only your choice that should dictate your education and the way you want it to help build your life. If you can start out with this mindset, going to college will truly open up your mind and your world.

Mikaela

The whole college experience is different than other schools because it is in the city and not a party school. There is so much other fun stuff to do. The other school i considered was WSU which is the second largest party school in the nation which is why i chose not to go there. I would prefer to live in the city and have my fun here. which is why i chose PSU.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to save all my graduation money because being in college and on your own makes it hard to keep money in your pocket. Getting a job the first year of college is hard because you are figuring out how much homework there really is in college. Living on your own, you need to buy the necesseties like a percription or toothpaste, not having the money and always having to ask your parents makes it seem like you can't make it on your own. Having that back up money to go to would be really nice to have in times of need.

I always brag to them about how it is right downtown and in the city. Portland State is not just a secluded college campus and it is spreadout throughout the city and easy to get anywhere. I always explain the transit system and how wonderful it is not to have a car. I always explain how wonderful the city life is.

Genesee

My classmates consist of 20-something guys and gals who are all eager to learn and who enjoy living in the beautiful city of Portland.

Genesee! I need you to listen to me. I understand that you are going through a lot, and I know that you believe college is not attainable... but it is and you can make it happen! You are so smart and have so much potential. Sure, if you decide to get a job and work, instead of continuing with school, you will do just fine. I know you will because I did and I am you! However, I can assure you that you will hit a wall and all the while you will wish that you had gone straight to college from high school. Returning to school after a long gap is extremely difficult not only emotionally and mentally, but financially as well. GO NOW. Period. If you are scared, find someone to help you. I'm sure Mrs. Wallace would love to help you. She knows how colleges operate and she can lead you to where you need to go. As for paying for college? Get enrolled, apply for financial aid and scholarships, and tuition will be covered. You can do it!! And my final advice: ask questions, communicate your needs, set goals, and meet with an advisor regularly.

I consider the lack of undegraduate research opportunities to be the bigget 'con' to attending PSU. In response to an inquiry to my advisor about how I could get involved with research or projects in my major area, her response was that I am too young in my academic career to have any valuable input on a project. I'm a junior in mathematics and I am sure there is plenty I should be doing.

Carolyn

As a college senior I would remind myself of the importance to spend time(3hrs. per 1 hr. in class) outside of school hours studying and working on assignments. I would tell myself no matter how hard things get, "Do Not Give Up." Use the student support services that are offered and go and see my instructors/professors during their office hours as much as possible for their support, but also to build a more personal relationship. I would insist on getting more sleep, adopting a healthy diet, get exercise daily, and take some time to relax. I would talk about reasons why I should always give me best in my studies, meet several people and build relationships amongst people on campus, take part in campus groups, and volunteer in the community. I would dedicate time to researching and applying for all scholarships that I qualify for so that I could keep down the amount of student loans needed to get my education. One huge thing I would tell myself though is to not overload my schedule in an attempt to get through my education in lightning speed, but be realistic with what is manageable to do well.

I am not really sure, but I would have to guess it is the diversity of the students, as well as the programs offered. We have a rather large campus that is situated right in the middle of Downtown Portland. I am in the Criminology and Criminal Justice Program, so this is what I know the most about here at PSU. They love their students and offer us great student support to meet a wide variety of needs.(tutoring, computer labs, academic support, etc).

I don' concider it a "worse thing" about PSU itself, but my commute to get there is a little of a pain. Haven't discovered anything I don't like about my school as of yet.

Heather

Portland State University is young, fresh and in the middle of downtown, making it a central part of the community and a great place to learn and grow.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to spend a lot more time on scholarships. I would also recommend applying to schools early and seeing what scholarships the schools offer and what their deadlines are. Besides scholarships, I would also tell myself to spend more time looking for a job, because money is short in college and job experience and money are both important for a college student. And for college itself, I would tell myself to go to all the orientation and welcome activies. I would remend myself to get involved and meet new people and make new friends. Last but not least, I would tell myself to have fun, because college is not only learning in the classroom, but gaining more life experience from the increased freedoms and learning about one's own self.

The kind of people who attend Portland State University are determined and bright minds. The average age of those attending PSU is higher than that of many universities, and so there is a greater variety then at other schools. There is also quite a few transfer students, and many internationals students.

Michelle

The most unique ascept Portland State University has to offer to students is it's location. It is a university located in the middle of a thriving metropolitan city. There is a main campus, but the majority of the classes are spread out in business buildings all throughout the southern portion of the downtown area.

Overall , the transition between high school and college was fairly smooth. I attended a community college during the final two years of my high school career and doing so definitely helped ease the transition. However, after I completed community college I moved into my own place in the city to attend PSU. This transition hit me hard since I had to leave my family behind for the first time and venture into the world alone. If there was one piece of advice that I could give to myself during my past few years of high school and community college, I would simple say "Breath". Getting through school as swiftly as possible is a great dream but doing it in a way that can overwhelm you is tough and can sometimes become exhausting. Just breath and remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel may feel excruciatingly long at the present, but you have the support system around you to make it out alive. So don't forget to take a moment for yourself and breath.

People who want to learn and study in a school that is surrounded by city. The city is a busy place and can be overwhelming for some, so those that are capable of learning and staying focused while being in a highly distracting area should thin about attending this university.

Ali

The park blocks. School is beautifully situated downtown and the campus is very open and beautiful

It had a very diverse group of students and many more people were open to new experiences and "out-of-the-box" thinking that really drew me in

When you leave college, you will not be the same person who started. Be open to growth. Be open to new experiences. Stay true to your core, because that won't change, but college is a time to root yourself more fully into that core. Explore who you are by having that conversation you wouldn't have had, or going somewhere new. It's scary, classes can be hard, but you'll get through it. Ask for help from your friends, family, teachers- they are your support network and that is what they are there for. Allow yourself the space for mistakes. Most importantly though: grow in who you are, and who you want to become.

Tony

If I could travel backwards in time, there are two pieces of advice regarding the transition to college life that I would bestow upon my 18-year-old self. The first recommendation is to treat your coursework not as an end in itself, but rather as a means to unlocking future opportunities. Education does not end with the conferment of a degree. Approach your curricula with the goal of acquiring tools for lifelong learning, but not just passing exams and assignments. The multitudes of facts and figures are generally forgotten within months of completing any particular course. However, the tools acquired through the proper orientation towards such facts and figures can be preserved for life with practice and continual application. The second recommendation is to get involved in civic-oriented campus groups and clubs. Not only is this an avenue to help ameliorate pressing social problems, but also such circles of friends help to alleviate the stressors that inevitably accompany college life. However, master the balancing act of social and educational early in your academic pursuits!

The worst thing about Portland State University is the lack of competent counselors. Every experience of mine where I attempted to solicit advice from either career counselors or department counselors was met with frustration. The counselors simply find the answers to your questions in the school bulletin/catalogue, where one can find things on one's own. They had an inablity to provide meaningful elaborations or advice based upon what was found in the bulletin/catalogue.

The most frustrating aspect of my experience at Portland State University was the acceptance of mediocrity among the student body. It is entirely possible for a student to submit sub-par work throughout their time at this university and still graduate. However, for those with higher expectations for themselves this environment can encourage the development of a high degree of self-discipline.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.