Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Debra

My college experience has not been everything I have wanted it to be, but basically it has been a learning experience, and isn't that what it is supposed to be all about? I am a 52 year old female and I do not have my Bachelor's degree yet because of financial reasons, and because of various societal influences in my life I never have enough funds to cover tuition plus basic living expenses. Financial aid is great if you can get it to cover everything. As for the societal influences, well, I have learned that the racial issues in this country have really not changed much since the 1960's, the issues have just been silenced, muffled, and oppression still exists in this country for poor people, regardless of race or ethnicity. College has taught me that the United States of America is very uneducated, and unless someone sits down with you and tells you to get that Bachelor's degree, some don't know to get that Bachelor's degree. College is valuable because of what you learn to apply to a job; but also for what you learn to apply to society and your community.

Rebecca

Portland State University is best known for its diverse students, faculty and staff. This positive aspect of Portland State University allows for many differing backgrounds to come together as one, providing a unique understanding, education and learning environment for the betterment of the world. It's diversity in nationalities as well as programs, gives one the chance to experience and explore many fields at once, while pursuing their individual interests. This variety of ethnic backgrounds and cultures will continue to opens doors and new ideas to students in our ever-changing world.

Over the last three years I have attended three different colleges. Through my experiences I have developed various reasons as to why college is valuable. During my first year at Walla Walla University I learned the importance of surrounding myself with people who have similar values. It equipped me with not only the strength to persevere what I believe but also gave me the support. While a sophomore overseas at Newbold College I found an environment that was open to sharing diversity in culture and ethnic backgrounds. By this experience I was able to embrace the importance of being open minded and globally aware. After my first two years of college I still had not mastered affective studying habits. However this year I have learned that in order to accomplish my goals, I must buckle down and conquer them with my whole heart. College has helped me stay the course by having the discipline to stick it out even through the hard times. My religion, social life and work are all defined by my education. Most importantly my experience in college has given me many valuable skills that I will be able to use the rest of my life.

The best thing about Portland State University is that it is based in a convenient location that is close to so many things. This is because it is located right in the middle of downtown Portland where there are many shopping areas, delicious restaurants, office buildings and most importantly easy and nearby access to Tri-met transit lines. It allows its students and faculty the chance to experience an education, in an environment where they can accomplish their dreams and goals. A place where knowledge is created treasured and learned.

Jonathan

My classmates are like another family to me because we encourage each other to keep going forward towards our goals and dream...

My classmates are like another family to me because we encourage each other to keep going forward towards our goals and dreams.

?It isn?t where you came from; it?s where you?re going that counts? said by Ella Fitzgerald. As a first generation student in college I am obtaining a knowledge that will help me serve my community by giving people hope. I have been politically active, speaking for the DREAM ACT and informing the public about current issues. I have also learned responsability, commitment, and perseverance through tiring days of homework or meeting a challenging assignment day. While growing up I have witnessed poverty in my family, sometimes living in the street when we did not have a place to stay. I would sometimes sacrifice my meals just to see my smaller brother and sister with a full stomach. My mother was always working jobs that never paid much which made it challenging to picture a future. My father left when I was five years old. Even though I am 18 years of age I will succeed to set an example for my brother and sister to follow. I also want to make my mother proud for all of the sacrifices she has done for us as a single mother and this is why my education is valuable.

The best thing about Portland State University is the support that you get from your professors. PSU is known for being one of the most diverse schools in America. Here at Portland State new friendships can be formed through the many groups that this University sponsors. I love Portland State University because it is located in the middle of the city where there is always something new just around the corner. Portland State cares about our environment through sustainability and informing us the students about the events that go on through history. At PSU you can see a brighter future.

Adam

I would tell myself to buckle down a bit more and actually pay attention to the teachers. On a personal level, I sometimes have a hard time writing research papers and with grammar etiquette. I believe lying the foundation down early is essential for later in life. If you lack the fundamentals, then how are you supposed to build on these things? If that happens then you are taking time out of your busy schedule to learn the things you should have learned in the first place. For me this has happened a few times but luckily I am a quick learner. I would also tell myself to get a mentor as early as possible so you have someone to talk to when you're unsure about how things work. Everyone needs help at some point in their life and that includes me. Lastly, I would tell myself to enjoy my time in high school because life isn't always a toga party in college. Responsibilities have to be met or you will suffer the consequences.

Anyone seeking a quality education should attend this school. The campus is great, the professors so far have been fantastic. The school obviously isn't Harvard, but not even on the low-end of U. of Phoenix. The school is set right in downtown Portland but as soon as you step on the campus, you feel as if you are out of the city and on an exclusive college campus. All the classrooms I have been in are equipped with state-of-the art equipment like projectors, computers and camera projectors.

About how much I am enjoying my time at Portland State University. The campus is great, the professors are fantastic and passionate about their respective fields. There is even a brand new recreation center with four floors filled with basketball courts, a swimming pool, exercise machines galore, and numerous aerobic rooms. One of the most important things that I love here is the atmosphere. It is truly an atmosphere of higher education and I couldn't think of any school that I would rather study at.

Our generation differed from our parents' in that we were all told again and again that "you can do anything you set your mind to". While the intent of this statement is to motivate, it is incomplete. It suggests an invincibility and entitlement that can be counter productive. It fails to mention the importance of thoughtful action, hard work, and endless dedication and passion for a particular field of study. You have this deep sense of capability and potential that has been instilled in you since you were a child. You think it is just a matter of time until the clouds magically part and the world takes notice of what you have to offer. The missing key is that you first need to prove it. Perhaps you are as special and talented as you were told; perhaps we all are. The only way to find out is to allow yourself the space, the experience, and the openness to discover what you truly love, where you truly fit, and how you can truly make a difference in this world. Then it's time to put everything, mind, body and soul, into making it the reality you earned.

There is an excellent push for community service and environmental sustainability. The general studies program promotes interdisciplinary understanding of English, Science and Mathematics as well as the real-world application of each. There are opportunities for good students to mentor in exchange for a tuition waiver starting your junior year. There is also an enormous amount of student diversity and exchange students on the campus, which allows for students interested in different cultures to learn about the experiences of others while sharing their own.

Daniel

My classmates come from a wide range of backgrounds. There is a large portion of my classmates that are first generation U.S. citizens, foreign students and people returning to school. The wide range of personal experiences creates an exciting and interesting learning situation.

I would tell my young self to look at college two ways. One, you have to consider college your job while you are in school. You need to treat it with the same commitment and seriousness that you would a paying job. Your job at this point of your life it to attend school and work hard. Second, I would tell my younger self that college needs to be a fun experience. Explore things that seem silly, strange or crazy. Take a chance on classes that you would never think of taking. Do a study abroad program and use the experience to let yourself go and to open you mind to new ideas and views.

Because most people live off campus, it is sometimes hard to feel part of the university experience. The wide age range of first time students and older students returning to school, while it makes for a great classroom experience, can make some social situations a little awkward.

Genesis

If I could go back and talk to myself back as a high school senior I would have pushed my self harder in math. And I would have asked more questions to my councler about scholarships so that way I could have enough money to pay for my books and other expenses that I had to pay.I would also have also pushed myself more over that summer between the transition of high school to college to get more volenteer work done because having volenteer hours help you alot when it comes to applying for scholarships. I would have also told myself to be more consistant on making more appointments with the advisors at te school , they are the people that help figure things out .And another important thing is that , if you have a class that tells you that homework isn't required but could help, DO IT! it will benifit you at the end becasue alot of teachers use somethingd from the homework on the quizes. And another thing, get enough sleep and take notes of the lectures . Intoducing youself with your teacher and get you questions answered from them on their office hours or in class!

The worst thing about my Portland State University would be the fact that when the weather is bad out side the inside of the building is full. In other words, the places where you can go to launge and rest get occupied quickly.And so this makes it hard to find a spot just for you and if you do find a place you have to take many steps up and down to find one.

Any type pf person can attend this school and fit right in. Portland State University is such a diverse University , actually it's main goal is for it's students to be as diverse as they can.

Shanice

Portland as a whole is odd in its accepting and LBGT-friendly culture. It is unlike anywhere else in the world with it's clothing, vegans, and happy atmosphere. It has the cleanest rainwater in the USA. Yellow jean or bright orange shirts aren't uncommon. Street performers in many places and always someone to talk to. There is beautiful architecture and a lot of the more of interesting side of history as well. There are trees everywhere you look and it isn't uncommon to see someone skip or dance up the street.

I would tell myself to take better advantage of all of the tools the school has to offer. There were so many more resources that I didn't take advantage of. Encouraging more club activities and volunteer opportunities would also have been a large part of my lecture to myself. I would insist that the past me try new foods, be more social, and try to be more open-minded about how people choose to live. I would mention to always stock up on extra toilet paper so as to avoid that awkward knock on your new dorm-neighbor's door at 3AM to ask for some. There would be a lot of positive reinforcement and back-patting, reminders that it would always be difficult, but never boring, and never impossible. Most importantly, I would tell myself to never take no for an answer. If you are told that such a thing cannot be done or are denied, keep trying and asking questions until a solution, or at least a compromise is reached.

Anyone that is open, accepting, and willing to try new things would be gleefully welcomed into this community and school. It is sometimes called 'the enlightened city'. I would not recommend anyone with bias or prejudices to attend. People willing to embrace a new way of living, thinking, and communicating should give Portland a try. I would recommend it to those social and withdrawn alike. There will always be someone here that a student could relate to, not matter how quirky the student is.

Portland State University has more than once been dubbed "The Best in the West" where universities are concerned. The school is best known for its fine arts program, as well as architecture, athletics, and especially its unique University Studies program. This program (referred to as UNST) replaces the usual "general education" courses that other colleges utilize and instead teaches students to incorporate what they learn in the classroom with the outside world. This includes how they interact with others at the office, in the home, and in the community.

"So you're starting college next year, eh? That's a good choice, you're on the right track already. The best thing you can do for yourself at this point is take everything that has to do with your future very, very seriously. Think ahead. The fact that you're a senior in high school doesn't give you the right to figure that 'Oh I'm fine now. I don't have to worry about scholarships or getting a job just yet. I'm still not in college'. That's not the case - it's never too early to start thinking about money or your future. Get a head start because what you do now will affect you in the long run, plus it'll make your life much, much easier. And what? You're nervous? Don't be. Just think of it as another step towards the person you're going to be later on. With each challenge you will continue to grow and realize your potential as a human being. So take everything seriously, do your best, enjoy the opportunities and keep moving forward. You'll be fine. "

The city of Portland is renowned for its uniqueness, and this also pertains to the city's students. Portland State is an ideal college for students who want to make good and serve in the world they live in. The motto of the school is "Let knowledge serve the city", and that very motto is best suited for students who care about where the world is headed and are concerned with the future of sustainability and humanity.

Zoe

The majority of classmates, although very nice, are much older than me.

The majority of classmates, although very nice, are much older than me.

I wish that I had pushed myself. I know I am capable of earning a 4.0 but I let situations get the better of me. When my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I let depression consume me and my grades fell where they should not have. School should have been my vice, my escape from my home life. Instead neither location was a refuge for me and I fell behind. I was so focused on science classes during my years at Grant High School, that I often neglected exploring other fields. Now that I am in college, I realize that I could have earned a handful of college credit had I taked the AP English or AP Government tests. I should have been more involved. Even though I wanted to pursue an internship over the summer I lost track of deadlines and let an amazing opportunity slip away. I suppose if I could talk to my past self, I would offer words of encouragement. I would tell my self, "Chin up, girl. Get through this. The grass is greener on the other side. I promise."

I am a commuter. I wish that I had known the amout of time it would take me to trek to school each day and the physical toll I would have to endure. I wish that I had known that the majority of my classmates were going to be twice my age or post baccalaureates. I also wish I had know the diffenence between semester schools and quarter schools.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.