Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Corina

A liberal, "never be afraid to speak your mind," rigorous, challenging, community involved and environmentally aware university on the West coast.

Oh my! I wish I could! I would assure myself that hard work DOES pay off, but never be afraid to ask for help. Learn to stop procrastinating and always put your school work at the forefront. I would tell myself that just because no one else in your family went to school, does NOT mean you cannot be successful and DON'T beat yourself up because you are the first and they may have harsh words regarding your endeavours. Since you are the first to go to college, be sure you seek advice--visit an advisor to get a plan, do NOT let them belittle you, and take advantage of professors' office hours. Seek advice from your professors and show them that you're trying hard because it makes a difference not only when they decide your grade, but they could also be a huge help in getting to your next step after college. Remember that they are people, too, and they enjoy watching students succeed. Most of all, again and again, I cannot stress enough--ASK for help when you need it and never feel bad about it.

I make sure I tell prospective students and friends that PSU is known for its connections to graduate schools and their high rate of graduates that step right into the career field they ahd intended.

Sara

Portland State is unique mostly because of how the campus it set up. It really is part of the city, rather than being its own little college town. This is actually one thing that I really like about PSU, because everything I could ever need is within walking distance from my classes.

If I were to go back in time to give myself advice about going to college, I know that there is one big thing that I would definately address. I remember never worrying about money because I was planning on going to an in-state school at first, but by the time I knew I was going to go to Portland State, I still had no excuse. After struggling to pay for my first quarter at school, I would tell my high school self to seek more financial aid. I would warn myself that I would be living on a very strict budget otherwise, since I didn't have much savings. Besides that, I would tell myself to pace myself for the commute, and to enjoy being in the city.

I chose my school because it was one of the closest to home, but it is still out-of-state. I am bothered by how much more I have to pay to go to an Oregon school as a Washington State resident, even though I am closer to Portland State than most Washington schools. I am also annoyed at how far I have to drive to get to school I live about 40 minutes away with no traffic, and I spend a lot of money on gas.

Erin

Do not be afraid to take every opportunity that presents itself to you in the future. Where you are from, what you have heard, and who you are now are small factors compared to where you will be in four years, what you will learn, and who you will grow to be. College life is a new milestone that you are just about to step on, far different than anything you have ever experienced. You will face course registration frustrations, sleep deprivation, and several group projects. But you will also attend classes and meet people who will push your intellectual boundaries and who will open your eyes to other lifestyles and beliefs. You will also meet new best friends, find mentors, and look learning opportunities. Every choice you have made in the past and every decision you make in the future will help mold you further into the individual you are meant to become. College is merely one of the few, but great molding stations of life, take it seriously, but do not forget to have fun while you are there.

To take every class seriously and to really go to the professors office hours regularly. It can be extremely beneficial, and the networking can be essential to your future.

How wonderful the professors on campus are. Whether they are professors, assistant professors, or doctoral candidates, each of them has such a vast ammount of knowledge to offer and a different perspective.

Hao

Forget about any regrets/hesitations you may have; the important thing is that you find those small groups in which you feel like you really belong. Try out different organizations and clubs, and stick with them. School isn't all about classes, homework, and your GPA. School is like another hub where you can find people who are interested in the same things you are. You have to forge those bonds and build those bridges, and you never know who you'll meet down the road who ends up walking with you. It's not a bad thing if you don't finish your degree requirements within 4 years. So long as you remain interested in what you're studying, and find yourself excited about what you're learning, then you'll know that you made the right choice. Don't forget about your high school friends either: you'll find that seeing them is one of the things you'll look forward to the most during your time in college. Keep busy. Stress yourself out (though not too much!). You'll feel better, more accomplished and better prepared once you come out of it.

There's a lot of diversity around campus, in terms of students' & faculty's ethnicities, as well as the activities and social options available. For just about any type of interest anyone has, there is a club or organization for it. If there isn't, it's fairly easy to start up a new group. Also, being integrated with downtown Portland, it's easy to find commercial activity, as well as feel at home, all with within close proximity.

Aaron

Portland State University is best known for being sustainable and environmentally friendly through recycling on the whole campus, the new building that are being erected, and outreach in the community to clean up.

If I went back in time and talked to myself as a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to keep an open mind, keep good study habits, make many friends but choose them wisely, and have responsible fun so that I do not get stressed out and live college life to the fullest.

The worst thing about my school, are the learning facilities, not all the classrooms are equipped with state of the art technology, and are in poor condition.

Shelly

My classmates are, on average, about 8-12 years older than I am this term. This doesn't bother me though because in every class, everyone is learning the same material at the same pace. Everyone is respectful of others' learning styles and, so far, everyone has also been very helpful and encouraging.

Thiking back to my Senior year in high school, it's not a time I'm particularly proud of. If I could go back in time and share a few words with myself I would emphasize the point that it's not absolutely necessary to go to a University right away if it's not something you're ready for. I would also make a point that partying with friends at other universities shouldn't be a higher priority than getting good or decent grades. After my first term of school , and receiving a 4 point GPA, I realized that there are more important things than a social life. Grades are one of the most important parts of school, especially college and without good grades, the future of one's educational career doesn't often turn out well. I would also reccommend getting involved in campus life. Whether that's joining a club or taking part in an intramural sport, anything to get involved in one's school makes a stronger connection to that atmosphere and leads to a better overall experience.

The best thing about my school is the diversity of the student body as well as the faculty. There is never the feeling like you're sticking out like a sore thumb in Portland, Oregon. The relaxed but focused feeling in every classroom is the perfect setting for engaging classroom discussions without feeling like all eyes are on you. The instructors and professors make all students feel like equals who all have equally important ideas and input.

Kim

If I had the chance to go back in time to talk to myself, I would definitely give myself advice I wished I would have taken advantage of as a high school senior. One major advice I would have given myself is to volunteer more, become more active. Even if I was not prepared to obtain a paying job yet, gaining experience in working would have definitely boost my resume, as well as gaining the sense that I am a valuable asset to the community. Another point I would make is that scholarships are harder to come by after high school graduation, so make the most of what is available. Currently, I regret not applying to several scholarships, and would love to have extra FREE money I do not need to pay back. More scholarships would have me more focused on studying, rather than focusing on how I am suppose to pay for my tuition. Overall, I would like to tell myself to just be positive, and to not worry about any future mishaps or problems that may occur. By focusing on my education, and making the most of the opportunities provided, there is nothing to worry about.

The worst thing about my school is not being able to take art classes without having the departments approval when you are a different major. Students should be able to have the chance to take art classes as electives without having to worry about the classes not being a part of their major. Students should be able to expand and explore other subject areas that may interest them in the future.

While it may not be a big, and known university, the atmosphere at the school gives students a great feeling. The population of the school is quite diverse with many international students attending the school. In addition, the school is situated near a city, so there are endless possibilities and activities available when students need a quick break from their studies. Another great thing about the school is that it is environmentally conscious, which shows that the students and staff are dedicated to helping the environment and improving the world's future.

Anastasia

Growing up in a relatively small town causes an individual to become attached to the people and comforting environment. In my senior year of high school I remember discussing with friends what colleges they were applying to. It seemed that most of them were staying in-state. Most of my friends applied to OSU. Naturally, I did too. I was afraid of branching out and being in a totally new environment. I feared being alone. I would have rather gone to U of O, but all my friends wanted to go to OSU. Consequently, I only applied to OSU. I later regretted this decision. I didn't like OSU at all. The university felt too big, the classes were enormous, the tests didn't adequately assess my knowledge, and I didn't feel like I fit in. After being at PSU for a term I can honestly say that I feel happier and more challenged. None of my high school friends are at PSU. So, if I were to tell my younger self a piece of advice I would tell her to try something new, don't follow your friends because you're afraid of uncharted territory.

I love the smaller, intimate classes that PSU offers. It encourages enlighening discussions. Because of the smaller classes, the teachers seem to be much more invested in the learning of students. They have a passion for what they teach and they spread that around the classroom.

Portland is the perfect place for those who are creative, open-minded, and eager to try new things. PSU is not the ideal school for close-minded, conservative, and strict religious individuals.

Vanessa

advising myself on how to prepare for college now: i would definitely say to expect the unexpected. in high school are courses are chosen for us for the most part and we get to choose a few electives here and there and boom we are done. in college; as we grow learn and develop, not only do we start to change but we begin to really learn who we are. i noticed myself not giving myself room to learn grow and change. i thought i had to stay in this box and only do with the room alloted. i know now that i will constantly be changing and to change my mind is okay, and to want to step outside of the box is okay as well. i would say to myself that education is limitless so aim for the sky, the infinite goal, broaden your horizon and step outside of the box; dont be afraid to challenge yourself or get to know who you really are.

class sized, my biology class had more than 250 students and it was very tough. the teachers are not able to have a personal connection with all of the students as i think they should and you are nothing more than a face in a crowd.

someone who is capable of self teaching and who is well disciplined. there are a lot of students in the classes and teachers are not always able to give attention to everyone. they need to be outgoing and be sure to be assertive to insure that they get what they need out of the class and experience.

Andrew

A beautiful school seated in the downtown area of Portland, Oregon, with access to multiple forms of public transportation, as well as being close to a handful of music venues for concerts.

My classmates are a diverse group of individuals, ranging from local residents to students that are studying abroad, but their goals are all the same - to expand their knowledge base and achieve their goals in life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to stay focused. even though I would have heard it a million times by then. Losing focus during my first two terms in school has definitely come back to haunt me, and I would make sure that I didn't make that mistake again. I realize that this is much easier said than done, as peer pressure and poor decision making is a fact of life, but that doesn't mean I'd try my hardest to not repeat the mistakes of my past. Having fun is one thing, and going to school is another - they should stay separated, and should never interfere with one another. When that happens, things become jumbled up - I became too focused on partying and having fun, and lost sight of my goal as an Engineer. That will never happen again, and if I could go back in time, I would show myself what would happen if I became too caught up in the dark things that I once was. The story would be convincing enough for me to want to do well in school.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.