Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Alissa

A huge and vdiverse university with students of all ages.

A huge and vdiverse university with students of all ages.

I would tell myself to earn a degree in a tangible field. Employers are looking for individuals with tangible skills that they can place immediatly. I would inform myself of the importance of a degree that works for me, versus a degree that I have to make work. Ultimately, people are in charge of their own financial well-being. This is why we go to college, to get skills in order to get a job that will provide us with a prosperous life. Were I to go back in time and give myself advice, I would instill the idea in my mind that I need to obtain a degree that provides me with a specific and practical skill. I belive it is vital to know what you are going to do with your degree after college, in the first few years of college, it is okay to be unsure, but eventually a person needs to know. Afterall, we are paying a lot of money to get an education, it might as well be worth it.

People are very guarded and do not talk with one another--in otherwards, it is not the most friendly place. Students do not mingle in class very often and it is difficult to meet and make new friends.

Katharine

My current school is a small, private university. It provides small classes that encourages individual learning and discovery. It is a great place to learn how to learn, develop a great relationship with your professors and really get to know your fellow classmates.

If I could give my teen self advice about college I would tell myself to take as many college prep classes in high school as possible to help prepare for the classes in college. I would stress the importance of looking for a mentor at the university. Someone that I felt very comfortable talking to and could trust their advice. This person could be a faculty member or another student, but someone who would keep me in line and focused on my educational goals. Another bit of advice that I would give is to not stress too much if I haven't selected my major my Freshman year. I would tell myself to take my basic required undergrad classes and keep an open mind. Try a variety of elective classes to see what field peaks my interest the most. I would tell myself about the freedom that comes with college life and how easy it is to get off track. It is very easy for a Freshman, living away from home for the first time, to get caught up in the party life. Taking classes seriously and putting studying first will be key to my success.

People shouldn't attend if they want to belong to the Greek System, since one doesn't exist at this school. They also shouldn't attend if they want to be anonymous in their classes.

Spence

The heartbeat of continuing education cradled in the arms of the City of Lost Children against the bossom of Forest Park, signifying the hope of the future, the place of the present and the lessons of the past.

Finish today it is the only way to live tomorrow. Your ideas are the tree upon which your actions bear fruit. Pay attention to the little man for in him are the truths you lie to hide. Grow relationships, without them you will surely starve. Debt is like plastic surgery it gives you things you didn't have but doesn't fix you inside. The only thing that can overcome your hopes and dreams is your failure to recognize your ability to achieve them.

All people, regardless of sex, age or class who desire knowledge in service of the greater good.

Luann

PSU is unique in the fact that it thrives on the ideas and values of caring for the environment. Along with the rest of the city of Portland, PSU has developed several different organizations on campus as well as majors that cater to the subject of sustainability. Though I am not studying a environmentally-related major, the influence my school as placed on me has changed my way of living drastically since I moved here from California. I recycle regularly, never litter, and use a tote bag for groceries. PSU is made for environtmentalists and hopes to convert its students.

My life back when I was a senior in high school was incredibly small and callow. To think back on my experiences as a young adolescent is to think back on all the events that led up to me being the person I am today. If I had the opportunity to travel back in time and speak to the rebellious, immature and self-centered girl I was back then, I would grab that girl and slap her around a couple times. Due to my recklessness as a late teenager, I had to face the consequences of my actions as a young adult. Finding the girl that took pleasure in breaking rules, ditching classes, sneaking out at night, and indulging in self-destructive behavior, I would face her and say, "Stop it, you're hurting both of us." I would tell myself, "Throw the pack of cigarettes in the trash, do your homework and really research your options for colleges." I'm thankful that I've grown past those behavorial issues and can safely say that I'm a more mature and focused student. But without the mistakes I made in the past I wouldn't who I am today.

The kind of person that should attend Portland State University is the person that wants that urban atmosphere in a collegiate environment. Portland is known for it's constant overcast skies but Portlanders don't seem to mind the dreary weather. The campus gives off an aura of academic excellence with it's library constantly filled with students studying. A person that would enjoy PSU is dedicated to the idea of sustainability and caring for the environment. Finally, those who would enjoy Portland want the urban feel of a city but like the character of a small town.

Zoie

Portland State Univeristy is probably best known for it's eco-friendly atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. For a school located in the center of the city, there are plenty of grassy plains, mountain views and plant life. The school is also known for having such a diverse student body.

If I were to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to weigh out the pros and cons of each of my college choices. I would remind myself that even though I am stepping out of the educational environment that I am familiar with, I will be able to adjust to my new surrounding just fine. I would inform myself that Portland State University lacks a lot of the traditional college traits, and that it will be a major social adjustment. I would tell myself to remember to accept all of the scholarship awards that I spent months applying for; I?m going to need that funding. Most importantly, I would tell myself to keep in mind what an important transition this is in my life, and to make the best of my experiences.

The best thing about my school is that it has a very diverse student body and is exceptionally accepting to all types of people. Also, the school has many great educational facilities expanding from all types of career fields. Portland State University is green and beautiful, as it sits right in the heart of downtown Portland. There are plenty of opportunities awaiting students at this school.

Jourdan

My school is so open and diverse, I can just be myself and never feel out of place when I'm there.

My classmates often know what they want out of life and out of the class and are easy to warm up to and chat with on a regular basis, once I get comfortable with the class itself.

I love the friends that I've made and the experiences I've had at Portland State University, but, unfortunately, there are so few of them. If I could go back in time and talk to my my high school senior self, I would tell me to stop being the shy, introverted person I am and go out and just have fun! If I wasn't so shy I could have made more friends from the start of college and participated in many more fun events. Now I've spent over a year of my college life mostly on the sidelines, and I wish I would have gone out and done more. Now I'm doing more things and meeting more people, but it would have been nice to start making the most out of my college experience during my freshman year, instead of waiting until now.

Fleming

Without a doubt, Marylhurst is best known for it's commitment to welcoming learners from all types of social and economic backgrounds. I have grown up in this area and lived here most of my life. One thing that has always impressed me about Marylhurst is that they have always tried to emphasize non-traditional methods of learning. They do this by offering a variety of online and evening classes for people who obligations that may otherwise keep them out of the classroom.

The school is located in a beautiful area along the Willamette River. While it is very close to the major city where I live, I feel as if I have travelled to a completely different place when I am there. I also like that Marylhurst appeals to a wide variety of students which means that there is alot of diversity in the classes. I have made some amazing friends since I have been there. It's a wonderful mix of people who come from very different social places but are united in their passion for learning.

Go to a school with dorms and quads. You can do alot with a laundry basket. A bottle of hot sauce makes everything taste better. Beware of the thirty-something who lives off campus and never graduated. It's better not to drink beverages named after sex acts. Take out a bigger loan and follow everyone else to spring break. Go sit in all your classes - it makes everything so much easier. Wear your pajamas every chance you get. It's o.k. to miss your siblings-they'll be surprised, too. You don't need bells and whistles, you really do have everything. You can sacrifice one weekend to keep track of your sister when she visits. Boyfriends are not usually for marrying. Going to church helps and it's more fun when you don't have to. Nobody else knows what they're doing either. Your self-respect really is ALL that you have. Trek across Europe as soon as you possibly can. You can always change your major. It's better not to tell your parents too much. Do something you're terrible at. Say 'thank you' alot. I have faith in you.

Dallas

Life isn't a laughing matter. Take life seriously for it is too short. Your father will be diagnosed with the most difficult cancer to overcome, Pancreatic cancer. Take your final months here in Redding to show him how much you appreciate him and spend more time with him. There's no telling how much more time you will be able to have. Also, spend more time in the GYM! You are too scrawny right now for anyone to take you seriously at what you do best, football. Get focused and show your dedication to the sport and to your team by being the leader that you are. Take your leadership to Division 1 football and show them that a small town boy like yourself can bring your heart and passion to the program. Never give up, never back down and work hard till you pass out. Love ya young me...get it done son.

I wish I would have known the social activities of the school. There isn't too much going on socially and it would have been nice to know that Portland state isn't your traditional/stereotypical college. Also I would have liked to know the cost of rent in the surrounding areas so I could save up more money in the past to help with my financial situation.

I would consider the lack of social activities in the school. Like I mentioned it is not the most active school as far as parties go. Partying isn't everything don't get me wrong, but it is nice to know that whenever you want there is something going on and in PSU's case that isn't the situation.

Cassie

I would tell myself that it doesn't matter what you want to do in life. College, fresh from high school, is truly your one real chance to learn as much about yourself , your likes, or your dislikes, without the stress of a family, full time job, and other responsibilities that come with age. As hard as the transition is, and as positive as you are of the path you are on, listen to your parents and allow them guide you as they do know how scary it can be to head out into the world on their own. They can be a true source of support both emotionally and financially that you may not have the opportunity to use later in life. Remember to thank them and not take them for granted as well. They help you get to the point of launching out into the world and do want to see you succeed. Your choices are your own, but they still want to know where your life is taking you and feel they have some influence in your choices. Also, don't forget that a relationship with God will always be important.

Corina

A liberal, "never be afraid to speak your mind," rigorous, challenging, community involved and environmentally aware university on the West coast.

Oh my! I wish I could! I would assure myself that hard work DOES pay off, but never be afraid to ask for help. Learn to stop procrastinating and always put your school work at the forefront. I would tell myself that just because no one else in your family went to school, does NOT mean you cannot be successful and DON'T beat yourself up because you are the first and they may have harsh words regarding your endeavours. Since you are the first to go to college, be sure you seek advice--visit an advisor to get a plan, do NOT let them belittle you, and take advantage of professors' office hours. Seek advice from your professors and show them that you're trying hard because it makes a difference not only when they decide your grade, but they could also be a huge help in getting to your next step after college. Remember that they are people, too, and they enjoy watching students succeed. Most of all, again and again, I cannot stress enough--ASK for help when you need it and never feel bad about it.

I make sure I tell prospective students and friends that PSU is known for its connections to graduate schools and their high rate of graduates that step right into the career field they ahd intended.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.