Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Additional Loan Options

Portland State takes the initiative when it comes to their students; always offering them new and fresh opportunities and supplying them with the resources they need to succeed.

We are a large, diverse and independent community that supports one another and works together, whether we are up against class projects to controversial societal issues.

Don't stress yourself out so much. Seriously. School will be challenging but you're gonna master it. You might be lonely at first but take time making friends, the loyal ones will show themselves. It's okay to tell your parents to stop calling you every single week, they won't get used to you being away as fast as you will. Don't get hung up in any drama. You are here for you, to focus on you, and beimg distracted with other people's business will get exhausting. Take care of your mind and body and your mind and body will take care of you. Take full advantage of the things your university has to offer you, they will come in handy. And no matter what, you keep doing you. At the end of the day, there's gonna someone who critizies you, so might as well do what you want.

Miranda

Portland State University, is like any other school, they have their problems; the difference is that they listen to their students and faculaty,

The main advice that I would give myself is that this is my life. I have a numbered amount of breaths and days. My highschool self needs to understand that maintaining your personal health is one of the most important aspects to success. This includes mental and emotional health. Look into student health center and see what programs they offer. For academics, look into the availible programs there, interact with your proffessors, talk to the dean if you are struggling. Realize that everyone you meet in college is fighting their own battless, just life you. At times the transition will get stressful, utiliize the resources that your school has, if they have little to offer contact a resource center. When figuring out finances, read the fine print and ask older people for help. Most importantly realize that everyone makes mistakes when transitioning from highschool to college, you are not expected to know everything. When you do mess up give yourself a break, relax, reorganize your thoughts, then focus on the problem at hand. Love yourself and sorround yourself with people that also love you. Don't be afraid to get rid of situations that harm you, it is your life.

In school and life the key to success, is to love yourself, be yourself, give yourself a break, find yourself, make time for yourself, and keep yourself psychologically healthy. If you cannot keep yourself healthy then you cannot serve your community. If you commit to too much, then you will overwhelm yourself. Go out and find what you enjoy. When everyday life becomes too much, give yourself a break, it's okay. In the end, this is your time, your life, your breathe, so be yourself. Finally, love who and what you are and find others that do to.

Adreanna

Portland State University is an accepting, environmentally friendly school that people of all ages attend to achieve their dream of gaining knowledge in various, diverse fields

I would tell myself to make sure I study a field im really passionate about, because your education is the beginning to the rest of your life. I would tell myself how needed a college education is and that procrastination isn't always a bad thing. I would tell myself to get involved in the Universities social activities as much as possible and make college fun but not at the price of your education.

Ariana

An urban university offering diverse opportunities and experiences to its students in every academic field.

Portland State is an urban university, that attracts and promotes people from all walks of life and ages, to enhance their educational experience in academia and self enhancement. It's also a melting pot of ethinc diversity from it's student body and faculty, bringing understanding of the worlds rich culture to one central institution.

Dear Future Self, University gives youthe chance to enhance and open YOUR mind to the abstract world arund you, so take advantage of it. Set yourself goals of where you want to be in the future, career wise and education wise; know that college is your stepping stone to achieving those goals. Stay focused, stay dedicated, work hard and most importantly stay committed. No one can help you, but YOU. You make your opportunities and only you can pave your way to success. Don't stress over the little or big things, instead cultivate that stress positively and put that cultivated energy towards your work. Prioritizing your work is key to staying balanced and giving yourself the flexibility of a healthy social life. Find new ways to stay motivated and get into the routine of making the things I've said above a habit (it'll make life in college a bit easier). Lastly remember one thing, the harder you work now the more you'll get to play later. So stay postive, stay vibrant and stay true to yourself always. Cheers, Future Self

Fiona

My classmates are creative and diverse; caring for themselves and their friends, my classmates bring my school to life with excitement and intellect.

My school is best known for its urban setting, supporting its students' urban lifestyles in the heart of downtown Portland with convenient access to arts and culture, nature and the outdoors, as well as retail and transportation.

Once I had unpacked my belongings into my new dorm room and felt aquainted with my first-ever roommate, I had no idea what was en route for me during my first term of college. The classes were stressful and difficult, the costs were expensive and seemingly never-ending, and, most of all, I was completely on my own in a new city in a new state. During my senior year of high school, I did not take a full schedule, nor did I apply for many scholarships. If I could go back in time to guide myself as a high school senior, I would have taken those extra credits and applied for as many scholarships as possible. Adjusting to a new city and a new school takes time, but if I could have given myself advice senior year, I would have recommended spending more time restoring and constructing relationships in my old community to practice building connections in my new community more easily! Now I know that having more preparation for college my senior year could have only helped strengthen my confidence transitioning into my first term of freshmen year!

Alieta

If I could go back in time and talk to my past self I would remind myself that my skills in life are not directly tied to my degree. I would encourage my younger self to explore my natural talents before subjected myself to a program of study. I would remind my younger self what I already knew then, there is much more time than it appears, be patient, step thoughtfully. I would tell myself to give myself time to heal from my brothers passing and I would beg myself to spend some time with my family. I would look myself in the eye and make sure I understood that nothing will ever get in the way of my creative endevours, but I might not yet have the experience to clearly decipher what technical skills I need to truly flourish as a creative, complicated, and overly ambitious individual. Most importantly, I would remind myself to live minimally because my spirit steps the lightest when tied down to the least material.

The best thing about Portland State University is the diversity in age and direction of the students. I sailed on JV and Varsity teams and our team would often get called the "motley crew". We would all just laugh and smile at how different our team was from all of the other teams, we had so much variety in age, color, gender and background -- there is so much to learn from the students at PSU.

The worst thing for me at Portland State was the lack of interest of guidance counselors unless you were a part of certain programs. I started out in business and changed my mind, eventually leading to a triple minor with a major in Liberal Arts -- no guidance counselor wanted to deal with me, instead I was forced to deal with four different guidance counselors, all of which didn't take my study seriously.

Casey

Take general classes freshamn year and experience many different majors. Learn as much as possible about the different fields before picking a major and then stick to it. Too much time and money can be spent on switching majors after you have invested a few years into the program. Always work on a major which directly relates to a career, never study something that is purely interest.

Variety of degree programs and integration into a large city.

Maggie

It collaborates with other colleges nearby and a medical school, so the connections here are great.

I think I should have been more open to looking at larger colleges, because they have a lot more to offer in terms of courses and scheduling than smaller ones. Also I should have looked for more scholarships, it definitely helps. With what I have learned at this point, there are things I wish I had done differently, hindsight bias isn't much fun. But I know that with what I knew then, the college I went to was everything I thought I wanted.

There are many courses available and scheduling is a lot easier than it was at the school I transferred from. Also the location is right in the city, and the public transportation is great. The professors I've had so far are easy to talk to and seem really interested in their respective fields.

It is one of the largest universities in Portland! It is conveniently located in downtown Portland, and it seamlessly blends in to the city. It is easily accessible both by car and by public transportation, and it attracts students of all demographics. In Portland, the school seems to be best known for its physical location as well as the fact that it has an extensive selection of subjects available to study. It offers both Undergraduate and Graduate degrees in a multitude of disciplines.

As a high school senior I was depressed and felt trapped at home. I lacked the energy to imagine life's potential. To ease the college application process, I picked one nontraditional college near my home to apply at. The idea of attending a more "traditional" college seemed frightening; I imagined it would be nothing more than an extension of high school (which had felt overly restrictive and oppressive). I didn't consider the fact that college could have been my ticket to a better city with more opportunities for me. I was accepted to the school of my choice, where I spent a year making bad, unhealthy decisions and getting in to dangerous situations before finally dropping out and making a move to a new city (where I would eventually go back to school and finish my undergraduate degree). I would love to tell my past self to value herself, imagine a better life, and utilize college as a tool to get to the life that she wants. I would let her know that she should apply to multiple schools - and pick schools in cities that intrigued her. Mostly, I would want her to know that life gets better.

This is not the best school for ambitious people who want to take charge of their own educations. While attending as a full-time student, I was also working full-time; however, this was difficult as I had some professors who would schedule additional class activities at times outside of our normal class time. In addition, I had to debate the advising department on a quarterly basis for permission to take an above average number of courses per term. Most of my classmates did not work and were taking smaller courseloads, and I felt out of place amongst my peers.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.