Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Additional Loan Options

paul

Do not take out student loans. pick a degree that would have best rot.

Do not take out student loans. pick a degree that would have best rot.

it was academicaly chalenging

Thomas

An education in the heart of the city, for everyone.

An education in the heart of the city, for everyone.

They are a diverse group from varied backgrounds and many views on life.

Hey! You know what? Get off your heinie and do something with yourself! What do you mean who am I? I'm you, but like two years in the future. Yeah. I know, I got really good looking. It's all about those oats and squats. You're not too bad your- wait, hold on. I need to give you advice! Okay, I only have a few seconds here. Let me see what I can - no I have no idea how I got here - well, considering where you are now, take everything seriously, and for serious ask her out to prom. She's totally into you. What else, what else... Start running? Join clubs, in the first year! I know, but they're only lame in their introductions! Also study! Like seriously study! When they say study an hour for each hour of class they really mean it! Also take time for yourself, but don't make all the time for yourself! Only a few words left, so invest in Bitcoin and bail out in like 2013 you'll thank me later. Also the Seahawks are going to win next year. Yeah, I know right?

Katrina

Downtown location, near so many great resources.

Downtown location, near so many great resources.

I would tell myself a few things. One, to finish the courses you start. Dropping classes mid term repeatedly, just because it's hard or you think you might change majors, doesn't look good on transcripts , can hurt your GPA, and wastes money. Talk to an advisor about any questions on majors, and most colleges have free tutors available in all subjects; asking for help is never a bad thing. The next thing would be to keep an eye on finances. With scholarships and loans it can be easy to see "money growing on trees". It doesn't, so make sure you're not spending more than you bring in. The last thing I would want my younger self to know is that the college experience is just that, an experience. Yes, grades are important, but if you only spend your time alone and studying you miss out on a lot of great opportunities and the chance to make new friends. By participating in student activities and/or groups you will enjoy a much more well rounded life during your college years.

Housing options are a little expensive close to campus.

Shannon

It is very different compared to most because it is located in the center of the city of Portland. The campus is unique in that it is very spread out around the city, so you can find yourself having class a housing building or a the second floor of a bank. The nice thing is, there is always something to do somewhere nearby and school events are not uncommon.

Shannon

There is a lot of diversity at this school, so it's hard to describe them all in one sentence. People in Portland are known for being hipsters so there is some of that. There are also many students that have come from Saudi Arabia and other places in the Middle East because of exchange programs.

Since the thing I struggled with most as a senior was deciding what my career path in college would be, I would encourage my past self to think about going into pharmacy, since that is what I ended up choosing. I would tell myself to look into what graduate programs expect and to get started on pre-requisites early. I did two years at a community college, but looking back there are classes that I have to take now at the university that I could have taken at the community college at a much cheaper price. I would also encourage my past self to look into volunteer opportunities and to think about joining some clubs and doing more extracurriculars in my first year of college. I would put the most emphasis on telling myself to start looking in to scholarships early though. I could have avoided the debt that I have been building up had I started applying earlier.

Being situated in the center of a city like Portland means that there are always things to do nearby.

Nathan

Portland State University is centered in the heart of the city. The urban environment complements the values the school sets forth of civic engagement and socially responsible living and business practices. At PSU there are many returning students, such as myself, from a large variety of backgrounds. This diversity has reinforced the inclusive culture, and has enriched the classroom experience. I could not see myself ever attending a school in a "college town"; as an older student I would feel out of place in any school without as much diversity as PSU.

Over ten years ago I left high school as a sophmore, with no diploma and no support from family or counselors. I don't blame anyone other than myself for how high school ended for me. It took ten years for me to get my life back together after that, and find the courage and discipline to return to school, and I have often thought about what I would do differently if I could go back in time, or what advice I would give my past self. If I could go back to mentor myself as a high school student, I don't know what I would tell myself. I don't have any stark words of wisdom, or warnings to give myself. What I do know is that my high school self would have a lot to say, and I would lend an ear. Some times, when life is rough, we don't need someone's advice on how to make it better; knowing that your problems are worth hearing, and that you aren't alone can make all the difference in the world, especially to a struggling high school student.

Portland State University is a school of diversity. Not only are there many foreign students, and students of a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, but the age and life-stage of students is just as varied. I would recommend PSU to any student who enjoys collaborating with people from different backgrounds, and would be interested in interacting with someone far different than themselves. Last term I had a business class, where I sat between someone from Qatar, and someone from Texas. We all three became great friends, and brought different sets of experiences to group discussions.

Kaitlyn

My school has excellent public transportation options. They also have programs set up to assist graduates find a job in their field.

I wish I had known what work study opportunities there were and if I could get them.

Seleny

Portland State University is a college that welcomes and promotes diversity.

Portland State University is a college that welcomes and promotes diversity.

Stop procrastinating, it's a really bad habit. Make an appointment with your counselor and ask all those questions you've been dying to ask. Stop following the crowd, don't be afraid to be yourself. And that boy you're so worried about isn't going to be there in the next two years. Truth is, everything that seems important now won't be when you're in college. Shift your focus and change your perspective. School is more than an obligation, it's a privilege. It is the steering wheel to your dream destination so treasure it. College is different, it's hard. You will spend many hours in the library actually reading the material. You will have to move out of your comfort zone and start meeting new people. You will have to prioritize, be punctual, and be well informed. You have to want to be there in order to excel. Don't give up. You are going to face many challenges in your educational career but I promise you that it will all be worth it. You will gain so much more knowledge, experience, and new insights. Your life will never be the same.

I have not been there long enough to know what the worst thing is.

Aimee

Portland State is very friendly and open, there are a lot of opportunities available for students to explore Portland both on and off campus, transportation around campus is simple since the campus itself is not very large (a bike, good shoes, or a long board serves well for getting around), and finally the faculty are typically very helpful and very supportive of your learning endeavors.

The most important thing you can remember is to make college an adventure, you're not in high school anymore so take advantage of being independent. The first few weeks of college can be the most difficult as far as finding a social sphere. Don't worry about it! The best thing you can do is keep your dorm room door open, introduce yourself to your neighbours, and go to the club fairs in the park blocks. Plus, as soon as classes start you will find your niche because you will be with very outgoing people who are interested in the same things you are! On the same note, network as much as possible. Exchange phone numbers, friend people on Facebook, arrange study groups, etc. all of which will help you find friends and access help for homework questions. Because PSU is on the quarter system exams come up fast. Therefore, always be reviewing the material you are learning and make good use of the library for study groups and tutors. The last thing you should do is take advantage of the recreation center and the outdoor program. Both places have great opportunities available to meet people and stay active.

The best thing about Portland State is its location in Portland. If you get tired of being on campus it is a simple matter of taking the MAX rail or the streetcar or a bus to get anywhere in the surrounding Multnomah County. Although campus itself is quite lovely with the park blocks located right outside the library. There are plenty of great places to study out in the sun on a warm spring day.

Leslie

Portland State University is in transition.

Portland State University is in transition.

Students at PSU are opinionated but sheltered.

Don't take anything for granted. Hard work is mandatory to succeed. Stay focused, but don't let yourself become alienated. And, above everything else: Its ok if you don't get through life in the same way as everyone else. There are no rules saying "when" you have to go to college - just keep on track and don't allow yourself to feel less than others . You will go to gcollege when it is right for you!

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.