Santa Clara University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Santa Clara University

Santa Clara University is a gorgeous school in the middle of the Silicon Valley. It is a religious institution with a progressive prospective. I enjoyed my time here, but be aware that the student population is not very diverse, despite the school being located 45 minutes south of San Francisco.

Olivia

Overall, SCU is "meh." SCU is not intended for transfer students or commuter students. The events and activities are primarily geared towards those who do not have outside jobs and can stay on campus late. The amount of friends you make, particularly as a commuter student, is dependent on much effort you put in. Generally the teachers are nice. Biology is a heavily impacted major. You really can't get any FUN/popular upper division classes until the end of junior year/senior year. Once you choose a major, pre-registration does exist, but it is only one class for biology majors.

Kaitlin

Greek life is big if you are in it but plenty aren't

It's a decent school but the community is definitely not fit for minority students like myself - a majority of the students are white and a part of Greek life. However, small class sizes are nice with accessibility to professors before and after class and during office hours.

Jasminder

There are so many resources available be it academic counseling, or just counseling in general, and there's a Rainbow Resource Center with resources for the LGBT community and allies for example. Also, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved on campus with clubs for just about every interest, and nationality, lots of sports and so much more. The academics are spot-on so far; each of my professors are very passionate about what they do. It's probably easier to get involved on campus and make friends if you actually live on campus, but I'm a commuter so that's been a little harder on me.

Catherine

New freshman at Santa Clara University who DID NOT want to go here initially (I was accepted to 12 schools, including some very prestigious ones and an Ivy), but after the generous scholarship they gave me I decided to come. And I could not have made a better choice. I love the people here, the clubs are amazing, there is so much opportunity for involvement, and I think it's amazing that you get to develop a personal relationship with your professors (who are often top in their respective fields, even for many of the survey courses). There's a big party culture here, but plenty of people choose not to partake, and as I said before, there are plenty of options for fun!

Clara

I really love the school. I am a first-year and live in a dorm (Residential Learning Community). Within your dorm, there are a ton of activities to get involved in, whether they be dinner and discussing current events, or just eating ice cream with the rest of your floor. The school is social, but works very hard and the academics are rigorous. The professors seem very kind and are willing to find time to help you succeed. Go to SCU!!

Liam

I believe Santa Clara is a wonderful offering valuable opportunities for internships, strong academics, in a beautiful location. Professors are knowledgeable and accessible and the classes usually are no more than 50 students. The dozens of student organizations are also wonderful!

Josephine

Overall, I love my school and I feel very confident in my choice. Having completed my freshman year, I have already made amazing friends. Finding solid friends at SCU was a lot easier than I thought it would be seeing as I am an introvert. Pricing and food could be improved, as with most colleges in the U.S., but still a great school. I would highly recommend to anyone who can afford it.

Nohemy

I love my school! Santa Clara University was my top choice ever since I began high school. I am currently a teacher and I am so excited to be a Bronco because my knowledge had tremendously increased in my field of study. The professors are very knowledgeable, understanding and accesible to help on a daily basis.

Kieran

As a person who routinely struggles with depression, I sincerely wish I'd picked a different school had I possessed the credentials to be admitted elsewhere. From the get-go of my college search as a high school Junior, I was immediately suspicious of the clean, easily marketable campus attractiveness (it truly is a beautiful campus, don't get me wrong), the seemingly always upbeat student groups (if anything, I envy them), and the fact that no one really mentions the academic rigor, so the image of campus and student marketability completely overshadows the rigor and dedication truly required to excel here. The fact that the school never mentions its rigor over its student appeal must be alleviated in the foreseeable future ASAP; maybe then, I could relate more to the students who end up finding this school appealing. The school's constant state of happiness reminded me of the book "The Happiness Industry," which analyzes happiness, comfort, and the pleasures of life as mere commodities. As a result, when depression hits me, as it often does, it hits hard. And the school atmosphere has never been the least bit alleviative of this. Additionally, as an introvert, the student body is exactly the wrong size for me. It's not small enough that I can easily tune out the distractions I may run into, and it's not big enough that I can slip into the background as a face in the crowd without feeling guilt due to knowing that I could never truly be acquainted with everyone I run into anyways. That isn't the case here. You can't simple blend in; you'll recognize nearly everyone, and vice versa, but without the sense that there are still a preponderance of students beyond your eyesight as you walk from class to class. If you'd prefer to be a face in the crowd sometimes, avoid this school at all costs. Also, the school is stupidly expensive, its acceptances preponderantly coming from affluent families who could pay for rigorous college prep education for the decade leading up to their admission processes. Not exactly encouraging for someone who considers himself lucky to even be accepted here having recovered from autism no more than six years before finishing high school. Before I blow a gasket, I must stress that I'm clearly in a group of one-hundred students at most in this school who have all of these issues put together. But for those of you who I'd be lucky enough to run into if you attend this school, please take their marketing with a massive grain of salt. I'd be happy to run into you, but make the decision that's best for yourself. In other words, do what I clearly didn't.

Karin

While I think Santa Clara strives to do best by its students, I believe that sometimes it forgets more practical and logistical issues. For example, in my program, we learned all about how to be authentic and how to be comfortable with feelings, but we learned nothing about the laws or logistics of taking notes, how to do intake sessions, how to handle severe mental illness, and how to do a basic safety plan. It is almost as if the university takes the easy way out and expects our first jobs/practicums to really teach us, even though the practicum sites expect us to know these things since we've been studying for three years.

Grace

It's a good as school.

Stephen

I graduated from the university and without much effort, I found a job as a technician in Cisco. Recommend it.

Santa Clara University is an amazing place to be and I can tell you why. 1. Santa Clara is the perfect size. With a small student to faculty ratio and small class sizes, student have the opportunity to genuinely get to know their professors and vice versa. Professors want you to succeed and will go out of their way to make sure that you get the help you need. 2. Plenty of professors have job experience that is very relevant to the classes they are teaching. With directly applicable job experience, teachers have the ability to teach students skills, techniques, and other invaluable lessons that will benefit students in the long run when it's their turn to enter the workforce. 3. Santa Clara is located in an extremely advantageous location. Not only is Santa Clara driving distance from the beach and the city, but it is also located less than 20 minutes away from some of the largest technology and innovation powerhouses in America. Apple headquarters is approximately 15 minutes away, located in Cupertino, and Google headquarters is about 20 minutes away, located in Mountain View and there are plenty more to list. 4. Santa Clara alumni want to help you! Once a bronco, always a bronco! Since many Santa Clara graduates work in the many great companies close to campus, they are always coming back to interview students on campus. Their pride in being a Santa Clara alum shows and is something that all students benefit from. 5. The Santa Clara campus is beautiful. With the perfect temperature, cloudless skies, sunshine, and towering palm trees, Santa Clara could pass as a resort! Students frequently lay in the grassy areas on campus to study and catch some rays. 6. Santa Clara never ceases to progress and improve. With the brand new Edward M. Dowd Art and Art History building, the incoming Law building, and the Engineering and STEM Sobrato building that is planned for completion in 2020, Santa Clara is constantly working to provide its students with the best resources and the best academics that it can. As the years go by, Santa Clara will only get better. With all of that said, I love Santa Clara University and am incredibly thankful that I have the opportunity to attend such an amazing university. Go Broncos!

From the moment I stepped foot on the campus I fell in love. Just like every college, there is drinking and people who like to have fun. However, it is never pushed upon anyone and I have never felt uncomfortable. I feel safe walking back to my dorm at any hour, especially with Campus Safety and city Police patrolling the streets just in case anyone needs help. The class sizes are amazing. I feel a connection to every professor and they all know me by name. The help I need is always accessible. I feel like I found my second home.

Musaab

It has a beautiful campus and it challenges you intellectually. Most classes really require you to work if you want an A. Thankfully, professors are welcoming to their students who come to office hours and want to learn. Socially, there is plenty going on if you have time.

Jen

There is a general atmosphere of apathy at the university. Social justice involvement/ political involvement and otherwise arelacking. It is not particularly friendly for minority students. Not socioeconomically or ethnically diverse. There are some amazing professors.

Kelsey

I am 100% confident that I made the right college decision- even though after first committing I constantly worried whether I had made the right decision. The community at Santa Clara is so welcoming and warm and everyone is so friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. It truly feels like home and I am so excited to be able to spend three more years there!

I love Santa Clara University. The school is small and it's easy to get around. My professors are always passionate about the topic they teach and are accessible outside of class. As a student, you can just tell that the professors actually care about you and want you to learn and be a better person. Since it is a private school in the Bay Area, it can be quite expensive and there are a lot of people that do come from upper class lives, but overall, I think a majority of the students are nice. The gym is old and could definitely use a renovation. Since Santa Clara is small, the gym is small as well, but I think the students could benefit from new and more equipment. The campus is beautiful and the weather is beautiful for most of the year.

Oren

So far I like it at SCU. I’m a transfer student and I live close by, so I just commute to SCU. The only downside is that outside of class, I’ve found it really difficult to meet new people. Everyone just kind of keeps to themselves. Or, if people hang out with each other, it’s because they live on campus and already know each other from before the school year. Not having that connection sucks for sure. But the professors are very polite and helpful.

Tyler

Like any place SCU certainly has its pros and cons. The small campus makes it easy to get around, and the classes are generally small enough that the professors will learn your name. However, the housing department is always a logistical nightmare, the dining services are absurdly overpriced, and the culture is very P.C./portentous.

Daniel

Santa Clara University is a gorgeous school. I was impressed from the moment I walked in and met the first ambassador waiting for me at the steps. I pray that I make a lot of good friends and get a good education out of the school it’s my number one choice.

Nicholas

I love the school and what it has to offer in terms of education or the experiences you can obtain from being a student here. Also- there are a ton of internship opportunities because you are in the heart of silicon valley and very close proximity to San Fransisco. The campus is extremely beautiful and the dorms and housing are some of the best you can find in the nation! I am very proud to say that I am a Bronco!

Georgia

I couldn't be happier with SCU. As soon as I toured that campus my senior year of high school, I knew that I was going to the right college. I am a first generation college student so I am part of SCU's LEAD Scholars program. It has definitely helped me to succeed in college and I couldn't be more grateful for the support. In terms of academics, the classes are challenging but fair. I even loved the chemistry series because although it was difficult, I felt like I learned a lot and the classes were set up for me to succeed if I worked hard at it. Most teachers have office hours and are available to meet outside of those hours; small class sizes also help. For the classes that people commonly struggle with, there is free tutoring available. The food is very good, and the dining hall was just updated. Some people are not fond of the food but it is all cooked fresh and there are lots of healthy options. There is also a mini store in the basement so you can cook your own meals. The housing is nice; some dorms are older than others but all of them have a theme so that you can choose the one that is the best fit for you. There are many clubs and nightly/weekly activities to keep busy on campus as well as greek life that is directly next to the campus. Possibly the area that is lacking the most is diversity. Still, SCU offer many clubs that bring people together and provide safe spaces to find diversity on campus. Overall, it is an amazing school and I would recommend anyone apply and visit here!