Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Ali

Our school is too large sometimes in that resources can be tight. I have difficulty getting in to see an advisor a lot of the time because there are just so many students. Traffic can be a nightmare. Classes are pretty full. But having a large student body has its perks, too. It is a lot of fun at football games to see the Swamp filled with orange and blue. The Gator nation is pretty big, and I love it! There's a lot more spirit here than you might find at other colleges. When I tell people I go to UF, some of them say "wow--you must be smart!" Others say "oh...a state school..." It pretty much depends on who is responding. In Florida, UF is considered an excellent school. It's just not an Ivy. I spend a lot of time on campus in the library, which is stellar. There's a starbucks there and a lot of nice, quiet places to sit and study. I also spend a lot of time in the Plaza of the Americas, which is just a lot of grass and trees and people relaxing and eating lunch and whatnot. It's nice, especially since Florida weather rocks. COLLEGE TOWN all the way. I think it depends what part of the UF administration being discussed. I think my study abroad advisor is horrible and a total you know what. I think my academic advisors are really dumb and unhelpful. But I thought my honors advisors were pretty cool, and I think the administration for my particular major does a decent job. Big recent controversies... oh, there are plenty. There was that tasering business back in the fall. Andrew Meyer is ridiculous. More recently though, there have been a lot of budget and transparency issues I think. As a rather huge state school with a legally capped tuition, UF has a lot of financial difficulties. People get upset when they see money going towards what appears to be a frivilous thing because meanwhile, majors and faculty are getting cut. Also, student government has some issues. It isn't exactly the most diverse group of people running the show, and the Greeks pretty much infiltrate the system. That has caused some problems with things like an opposition party's attempt to have UF do online voting for student government elections in an effort to mobilize the vote (rather than just having sororities and fraternities make up the entire voting population because they tell their members it's mandatory). TONS of school pride. Size, maybe. And I think Tim Tebow is a bit unusual...unusually freaking awesome. Winning those back-to-back national championships. The streets were wild with crazy happy college kids. It was so much fun! The parking is unbelievably awful here. I don't know a single driver who hasn't been ticketed or towed (or more likely both multiple times) in Gainesville. Like seriously? Make more parking spots, people!

I don't think anyone would feel that out of place here, since there are just so many people. It is hard NOT to find somewhere to fit in I think. Most students wear flip-flops and just whatever to class. Different types of students interact, certainly. Most students here are from Florida, but the financial backgrounds vary. Students are somewhat politically aware...it's hard for me to answer this since, as a political science major, a lot of the people I know and see regularly are not, politically, your average student. There are an awful lot of libertarians here (unfortunately...I'm just not a fan).

Some of the more elite colleges stereotype UF as a stupid state school with students only concerned about parties and football.

Athletic events are VERY popular here. Game days during football season pretty much revolve around...football. Guest speakers are also pretty popular. We have an ACCENT speakers bureau that coordinates all the guest speaker stuff. We've had some interesting people come to our campus, plus it's free! My closest friends I met in the dorm, in some classes, in my co-ed fraternity, and doing community service projects. I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday a lot, and I'm usually doing hw at that point. People party a lot here. Fraternities and sororities have a lot of pull here, and there are a lot of them. Last weekend I took my pledge final, went to two fellowships, did a fundraiser carwash, and went to coffee with a friend.

This semester all of my professors know my name, but I'm taking unusually small classes. I take a lot of honors courses, which are kept at 25 students per class. But it isn't necessarily the norm to have your professors here know your name, no. My favorite class was this political science class on varying ideologies. The professor was AMAZING. Actually, I won a small scholarship writing about how he and that class changed my perception. Students surprisingly study a lot here--as can be noted by the extraordinary lack of breathing room and parking spots in and around the library (respectively) this time of year (it's finals week). Students are competitive in their own ways. There are a lot of people here so it isn't like everyone is racing to be a valedictorian or graduate first in their class of...um...ten thousand students. But it is competitive in that a lot of us strive to do well. I've taken a statistical analysis class that using poker to demonstrate concepts. It was a good class. Also, my forensic science class is out-of-this-world cool. Our professor is a pretty well-known forensic entomologist, and everything he says just blows my mind. My major...is kind of filled with a lot of pretentious assholes. Not gonna lie. No, I don't see a lot of my professors out of class, really. I think UF's academic requirements are pretty standard. My personal education here has been a lot about learning for its own sake. I am currently taking all electives...nothing for my majors or for the fulfillment of any requirements. But I think that might be somewhat looked down on here, yea. I had to declare a double-major to avoid being forced by an advisor to graduate before I was ready to end my education, if that says anything to anyone about the priorities here. To be fair, there are, like I said before, money issues.

For some people, maybe. Certainly not across the board.

I was sent to this survey by Alpha Phi Omega!!!

Vick

In such a large school it's essential to make yourself a part of something--therefore you can feel connected. If you're connected, even to just one event--whether it be a sports game or gator nights, than you fit in, because you're connecting with other students. The University of Florida really does create a Gator Nation. I was in NYC this Spring and saw fellow students on the plane wearing UF gear, and felt no reproach for saying "Go Gators!". It's amazing to be a part of such a great community.

I find that the black students really segregate themselves from everyone else. In Turlington they're always tabling and handing out fliers just to black students. The Religious students--not the preachers--tend to keep to themselves and promote silently, which is great for anyone who doesn't want a religion forced on them. My biggest beef is during elections, especially this year. I hate how the Gator Party has a monopoly on everyone else, and how the Greek system tries to control everyone. That's not right being as there are many students who aren't Greek. They also become so annoying in that final week because they want to convince everyone to vote for them. I can't stand them!

That we're all about our sports teams and are a big party school.

The larger the class is, the harder it is to get to know the professor and feel connected to your class. I've found that my best success has been in classes with a limited number of students where I actually get to know my professor. I find that in big lecture halls the professors care more about the material than they do about the students, and I think it should be the other way around, because that's the only way to get the students to care about the material.

As I said earlier, it's important to be a part of something or some organization on campus. Greek societies definitely rule the school with so many organizations and a semi-control on the party scene. Sporting events always draw a crowd, and so do some theatre and music events. So long as ACCENT keeps bringing in good speakers than they're always going to have a big crowd. There are groups for everyone and anyone really.

Though I love the Gators there are many who couldn't care less. Many students resent the fact that sports get a lot of attention because they want the academics to be focused on. As for the party school, well, yeah, we party, but I don't think we're a huge party school, not as much as other people think.

Alpha Phi Omega sent me and they are amazing! I'm crossing into brotherhood in 3 days :D

Anna

The best thing about UF is the diverse amount of people you come in contact with day to day. Also, the courses are interesting and challenging. One thing that I'd change though, would be the class size. They're are so big that you sometimes just feel like a number and it can be hard to meet people when theres some many in one class.

There is every kind of person at UF. One thing UF is not lacking is diversity.

Most courses are pretty rigorous and require a great deal of time and effort. I'd say I spend about 4 hours per class a week studying. Most professors are very good, but there are a few classes taught my undergrad TAs that don't offer much help. Also, the relationship between teacher and student doesn't really exist unless you make the effort to visit the professor during office hours.

There are tons of organizations at UF, one for any interests you may have. And if they don't you can create your own club very easily! I personally find that Fraternity I joined, Alpha Phi Omega, was a awesome decision as it is a great way to meet people without the cost of a social fraternity.

CJ

The campus here is absolutely beautiful. Some people say it's too big here, but I think it's perfect. I spend most of my time on campus at the Alpha Phi Omega booth and in classrooms (obviously). Gainesville is hands down one of the best college towns! It's so amazing to see almost every restaurant, car, and home have some kind of Gator memorabilia on/in it. UF's administration isn't too bad, I think they are really doing a great job for the most part. Of course there are always things that can be improved upon, but for the most part it's pretty good. I'm sure we've all heard about the Andrew Meyer scandal with the Police Department. School pride is one of the main reason's I love it here -- the Gator Nation really is everywhere!! Nothing is unusual about UF, we have some unique things offered here, but definitely not unusual in a negative connotation. An experience I will always remember is the national football championship last year. I went to the O'Dome to watch it with I think some 8,000 other students. We had SO much fun and all rushed out onto University Avenue when we finally won. It was such a great time!!

I haven't encountered any negative experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, etc. etc. groups on campus. No student would ever feel out of place at UF as there is something here for absolutely everyone. Students were various things to class... from pajamas, to jeans, to shorts, to skirts, to whatever they feel like wearing that day. Yes, every "type" of student interacts. Most UF students are from Florida, and a lot seem to be from South Florida (although that could just be because that's where I'm from so I know a lot of people from down there). Any financial background can come here pretty much because every student has an equal shot at the 100% or even 75% Bright Futures Scholarship. Yes most students are VERY politically aware and active it seems. There are always students in Turlington or Plaza of the Americas with signs and agendas for some political or religious campaign. I think they are mainly left, but there seems to be a pretty good equilibrium.

Most of my professors know my name. There are a couple of larger classes (anywhere from 300 to 600 students) where a professor doesn't. My favorite class so far is probably the one I'm in right now, Intro to Poetry (CRW1301) because there is no pressure of ABC grading on every little thing and we get to freely discuss our work and the work of great poets in a safe, intimate setting of only 17 students and one teacher. My least favorite was biology; it was too big and impersonal of a class that required you to know the most trivial and unimportant things -- when it was a BEGINNING biology class. Students sometimes have intellectual conversations outside of class. And they certainly are competitive. Most students will do whatever it takes to get an A. The most unique class I've take is the CRW1301 class I mentioned before. It's the only class I've ever taken (since kindergarten) that I've actually been able to enjoy and not worry so much about the grade. We get to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate great poets and even each other's works.

Greek fraternities and sororities seem to be the most popular things on campus. The Student Alumni Association seems pretty good too. I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega, which is a service fraternity (not associated with the Greeks). Some people will leave their dorm room doors open if they are in their room and not doing anything. Athletic events are extremely popular, especially football and basketball (although baseball and gymnastics are pretty popular too). Guest speakers get a good attendance rate from the student body. I don't think too many students go to shows at the theaters sadly. Most of my closest friends I either met while I was in high school or grade school, in Alpha Phi Omega, or in one of my classes. I have a lot of close friends. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm rushing to get all of my homework done so that I can get a semi-good night's sleep. The Undy-Dash is a pretty good tradition as well as the Orange and Blue game and Gator Growl. A lot of people party.. it's probably safe to say that most people party. Frats and sororities are only important to the people who are in them. I'm personally not a fan of Greeks. Last weekend I took a trip home to Boca Raton to be with friends and family since a friend of mine was killed in a biking accident. In Gainesville? There's not much to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking. Well, you can do everything without drinking (going to clubs, bars, Skate Station, bowling alleys, movies, etc.) but it isn't as much fun. And people more often than not are drinking there. Off campus I try to relax as much as possible. And work.

That we are absolute stuck-up jerks about our sports teams. People who aren't avid fans seem to hate us and root against us for some reason.

Obviously some people are, but it's definitely not a majority of the fans.

I think you pretty much asked just about everything there is to ask...

Our school is very large, but their is a niche for everyone. There are so many clubs and student groups that everyone can find an organization and a group of friends where they belong. UF students are smart, friendly, and supportive of eachother.

We have the largest variety of students that I have ever encountereed at any school. All of the groups hold big events where everyone is welcome. I think the groups are supportive of eachother despite being different. Most UF students are from Florida, but there are a few students from elsewhere. The students come from a wide variety of races, cultures, and socioeconomic statuses.

We are stereotyped as only caring about sports and partying and not our acedemics.

The academics at UF are challenging. Lower level classes take place in big lecture halls, but break down into smaller groups atleast once a week. UF has a liberal arts curriculum which I enjoy. you are required to take courses outside of your main field of study.

I am involved in a co-ed community service fraternity. Through this organization I have made many friends. What I like most about it is that I feel that I have made a big impact on the community. I have helped plan many community service events such as a Girl Scout field day, voulenteering at the local nursing home, and working with animal services.

NO! Although we do have school spirit, UF is a very acedemically challenging school. We care about our grades and education.

Jamie

One of the best things about UF is the diversity. There are so many different kinds of students here that anybody can have a group of friends. The size is a little too big. There are so many people here, that, yes, you can find people that are like you, but it is very difficult to find them when you first get here. It is hard to get out of that high school setting, because a lot of people who come here, come with friends from high school. I was able to join a co-ed service fraternity and that is where I spend most of my time. I love that I was able to find a group of people that are very similar to me. The administration seems to be on top of things, although I have never had to deal with them for any administrative reasons. One of the experiences that I will always remember about UF is waking up in my dorm room on campus last year, looking out the window, and seeing a sea of orange and blue. It was one of the most amazing experiences ever to see that much school spirit flooding the University and the community.

No student would feel out of place at UF. There is such a large number of students here that everyone has a chance to fit in. These groups such as racial, religious, LGBTQ, socio-economic, etc. all have large followings. Everyone wears different things to class. Some people just go in what they woke up and rolled into, sweats and a t-shirt. Others, however, go all out in their jeans, nice tops and pearls. There is definitely an interaction in groups of students. It's always interesting to see people of different backgrounds, social groups or even class years interacting. It definitely helps eliminate many stereotypes after leaving high school. There are a variety of people with different financial backgrounds present here. Because of the great scholarship opportunities available, many people are able to go here without feeling the financial burden.

Many people think that UF students are a lot smarter than students at any other state school around Florida. They also think that many graduates of the International Baccalaureate got into UF just because they graduated from IB.

Academics at UF is an interesting topic. In most of the classes I've had so far, I was not able to have a personal relationship with my professors because the class was so big. A few, less popular classes, were smaller, but still had the big class feeling. My favorite class so far social psychology, which was good, since it relates to my major. Class participation is common in smaller classes, but not so much in bigger ones. Students here study a lot. The library is always packed, as it is a popular place to spend the late hours of the night studying. I think the education at UF is geared more toward getting a job than learning. Everything here is very structured and intense, as far as learning goes. In most of the classes I've taken, I have to try really really hard to actually learn and get a good grade at the same time.

A large number of students on campus belong to sororities and fraternities. That's not to say they are the most popular, they are just definitely the most prevalent. Social sororities and fraternities are very very active in Student Government life and give little chance to any other organization to take part in these politics. I, personally, am involved in a co-ed, service, fraternity (not a social one) and have found that this is exactly where I fit. When I lived in a dorm the first summer I came here, all the girls left their doors open. It was a very social, fun environment. When I started in the fall in a different dorm, no one left their doors open. I think everyone was eager to meet others when they first got here in summer, but probably decided they'd met enough people by the fall. Football is HUGE here! Game days are the most exciting, exhilarating days you'll experience at UF. There are a ton of traditions and events associated with football that involve everyone from students to alumni to athletes. The university also plans a lot of events such as guest speakers, movie nights, shows, etc. to help students have fun without being in danger.

I am supporting Alpha Phi Omega and our current philanthropic endeavors by filling out this survey. We are currently supporting the St. Francis House, which is a great organization.

Yes. The first one, about being smarter, is true in many respects. UF is the hardest public university to get into in the state of Florida, and therefore has a smarter group of students. The IB stereotype, has been true in the past, but is starting to disappear. The university is starting to limit their acceptance numbers, and therefore not every high school IB student gets in.

Rob

One thing to love about UF is the variety of activities available to participate in, in part because of the number of students that attend. The large number of students is also a diverse group; which was different for me, and definitely better. Administration has their hands full with budget cuts and constant student complaints, but overall they're not bad. I agree with other groups on campus that would like to see UF invest its money ethically i.e. not in companies profiting from war, unsustainable practices, tobacco/alcohol companies etc. Anyone who goes to a football game at UF remembers it. Its incredible to be in a full stadium when everyone is shouting, doing the wave, informing the referees they made a bad call, or telling the opposing team to go home by jingling keys. This is just one aspect of the Gator Nation that most students come to love and look forward to, but there is so much more here too.

The diversity at UF is incredible. Anyone should be able to feel at home here. There are Christian groups from the conservative to liberal spectrum, Islam on Campus is very active, and the Jewish community is alive too. This is great for folks like me who come from a very culturally sheltered area, as you can go to events like the Ramadan Fast-a-Thon to raise money for hunger relief and learn more about Islam. You just have to start looking around to find what you agree with and what you support.

We are better at everything! Athletes get easy grades. We have a lot of school spirit. Everyone drinks.

Greek life is alive and well at UF, to the disappointment of some and the joy of others. There are also "fraternities" such as Alpha Phi Omega (a coed service frat) that use a lot of the traditions of the Greek system but aren't part of the actual Greek system. You set your social life, if you don't get out there and find things to do, you will be bored. If you look for stuff to do and people to meet, you will find them.

Professors will get to know you if you approach them I believe. In my smaller classes (Honors Classes) the profs know my name. In lecture classes, you just have to go to office hours if you need them. My favorite classes are my chemistry classes, because there are some awesome professors. Very difficult profs test-wise, but very good. Students do have intellectual conversations out of class, but its not an everyday thing for most.

We are better at most things. I think athletes have an easy time with classes. We have a whole lot of school spirit. Not everyone drinks, but most people do.

Alex

If i could change one thing at the school to make it more inviting, i would work on the racial barriers that are still present today. Many students do not go out of their comfort zone unless something tragic has happened.

most florida students are from florida and many are middle and upper class. there is class system on campus and it can be mostly seen through frats and sorority's

drinking on this campus is a big problem. there may be tons to do that doesn't involve drinking but students will find a way to make sure they are drunk when they reach their destination.

Only in small classes do i feel the professor know names. in big class professor stop going to their own office hours do to lack of involvement with the students.

Alex

I think the atmosphere is the best thing about UF. The school is large, but even in the college of business I have been able to find extremely small and intimate classes. People react very favorably when I tell them I go to UF. I spend most of my time in my classrooms, and occasionally in the Union and Library West. I also go to the SW Rec Center frequently. I feel the administration works in the best interest of the students, and they aim to avoid troublesome situations while still providing students the liberties to speak and act freely.

Even though I cannot compare to another student body on another college campus, I have found in my time here that our campus is incredibly diverse and open. There are student groups for almost every racial minority and religious group you can imagine, and over 700 groups in all. I feel like there is a place for everyone to feel comfortable with the number of students who live and study here. The campus, overall, is very friendly. There is a fair level of interaction between students daily, and none of my encounters with other students have been particularly negative. There are certainly diverse ethnic and financial backgrounds represented here, but I feel that most people handle there differences appropriately.

It's GREAT to be a Florida Gator. ALPHA PHI OMEGA

I have taken several classes at UF that have had several hundred students enrolled. However, many of the large lecture classes have smaller breakout groups, which allows the student to establish a more personal relationship with the instructor or a TA. I study frequently, but I feel that what I put into my work is equivalent to what I get out. Since I arrived here, the classes have gotten much more impressive and competitive. Admission to UF is much more difficult than even 10 years ago, and I expect the improvement to continue. The structure of the academic requirements is very efficient for such a large college system.

There are several large organizations on campus. Campus Crusade and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes are both well-represented, as are the Jewish and other religious students. In addition, the intramurals at UF are extremely well-organized and offer a wide variety of options for sport and activity. The athletic program here is one of the best in the country without question. Throughout the academic year, there is at least one major sport in full swing, including football, basketball and baseball, as well as gymnastics, soccer and softball. Fraternities and sororities make up about 17% of students on campus, so they are visible but not overwhelming. There are plenty of activities to engage in without drinking, both on and off-campus. The school puts on Gator Nights every Friday night and is always showing free movies. Additionally, there are malls, amusement centers, downtown restaurants, flea markets and Jai-Alai all within 15-20 min of campus.

Carly

UF is the oldest, biggest and arguably the most prestigious public university in Florida, and it is many high schoolers top choice in the state, and it has a very "university" feel. I am proud to say that I attend UF. I love Gainesville, which is considered a college town. UF is large enough that students can get involved with almost anything they desire; from greek life to Students for a Democratic Society, and from putting on performances at our theater to leading study groups. Students always have avenues with which to stand out, even at such a populated school. It is not uncommon to find students across campus simply laying down on the grass with a book. However, some problems have arisen lately. For one, many departments in the school are in debt, and on top of that, many schools are receiving budget cuts. This severely affects class size and quality, and if students can even sign up for different classes. There has also been issues with the administration investing in "socially irresponsible" investing, and also not making many of their spending habits transparent to the public. There are also virtually no parking spaces for students, which is especially a problem for many of the libraries on campus which stay open until after the buses stop running.

The student population here is so large that everyone has an avenue for expression and feeling welcome within a group of their own. I don't think that many students would feel out of place here. There is a Black Student Union, as well as an organization only for Lebanese students. Religious organizations cover everything from Baptist Collegiate Ministries to Pagan Student Union. There are organizations for every political cause, academic track, minority group, hobby, or remote interest available. Most UF students are involved in at least one organization. Most UF students are from Florida, although we boast a decent-sized International population. Many financial backgrounds feel welcome because there are so many scholarships here, as well as the work study program.

Some. Many more people on this campus than on others have scooters, and because of the warm weather, we wear flip flops more frequently than others. Gainesville as a city is known for being very bike-friendly, many people take advantage of that. UF is also known for being a big "party school", and we 3 recent National Championships under our belt, many of us feel proud of our athletic teams. However, the student population is so big that we just can't all be grouped together, and these stereotypes are simply the most visible ones.

UF has many social networks, and there are many things to do on campus. Living in a dorm is one of the fastest and easiest ways of getting to know others. Being involved with an organization is another fun way to do that. UF brings many popular guests here, including Elton John, MythBusters, Bob Saget, Dane Cook, and more. We also have the largest student-run pep rally, called Gator Growl, every fall before our homecoming game. Many people are involved with greek life, and they have an enormous political influence over the happenings at the school as well as holding office in the Student Government. UF has many avenues for community service that I personally like to take advantage of. We also have property on a lake about 10 miles away from campus, where students can participate in water sports, rock climbing, or simply hold a cookout.

Freshman year, many classes are between 200 and 400 students. As students move up academically, class sizes become smaller. Professors do not know students names automatically; Students must make themselves known by being active in class. A downside to academics here is that many professors were hired for research, and although they may be intelligent, they are not necessarily good at teaching the information that they know. Another downside is that many professors are tenured, and do not need to worry about performing well as teachers because they will still get paid. My major is Family, Youth, and Community Sciences; and I'm lucky because my department is small enough that I can meet with my adviser almost whenever I wish to. My classes are interesting and are preparing me for graduating.

We all have scooters, we all wear flip flops, we all have bikes, we all drink alcohol every day and go downtown every weekend, and love sports much more than academics.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.