Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

The best thing about UF is the school pride. We are the gator nation, and everywhere you look there is orange and blue. we are all very proud to be gators. One thing I would change though is the amount of students that go here just because the sidewalks can get very crowded between classes.

As an african american I sometimes feel out of place at a predominately white school, but never enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

UF is an amazing school and I really love going here!

The most popular thing to do at UF is join a social sorority or fraternity. As an alternative to that I joined Alpha Phi Omega which is a co-ed service fraternity that is a whole lot of fun. Athletic events are probably the most important though because everyone is a gator fan. Saturday game days are crazy at the Swamp, because afterall we are National Champions.

Beginning level undergrad classes at UF are very large because of our huge student body size, and it can be very hard to get to know your professor so you have to put a lot of effort into it. The upper level classes aren't so bad and they can be very intellectually stimulating. My favorite class at UF thus far has been Social Psychology because it really made me think about what I want to do with the rest of my life.

That it is a party school and that all the students do is party. Oh and that all we care about is Football. On the other hand we are also the hardest public school to get into in Florida so we are all thought of as being really smart. Because of this people think that we are stuck up.

Courtney

UF is a really large school, but you can use that to your advantage. Its size allows for many opportunities. Gainesville is the perfect college town. It caters to the students and the university, although there are some scary places of Gainesville. There is a ton of school spirit at UF and it really is the gator nation! Wherever I travel around the world I always run into a fellow UF student.

The class sizes can be large. The best way to get to know a teacher is to do research with them. I have found that the upper level classes are more intimate. There are lots of scholarships availible.

Laura

Gainesville is THE college town. There's a vibrant music scene, a fair amount of hippies, great local shops, and a fun nightlife. Walking into a store or restaurant is like walking on campus, everyone there is your age. It's rare to see children or older people. Gainesville feels like a little world inside itself. People are impressed when I tell them I go to UF. They know that it is the most prestigious school in the state of Florida. The campus has a lot of charm which you don't normally find in Florida. The architecture is interesting and there are many quiet and relaxing spots to have lunch or study. The large oaks and magnolias provide shade and beauty.

Many students are from middle class homes throughout Florida. Occasionally you come across a Barbie with Daddy's money, but not too often. There is every type of religious group in campus, you name it, we've got not one but three. To class many wear typical t-shirts, Gators shirts, or things from the mall. There are a lot of people who dress sort of out there, but they all mix well with the rest of campus.

The University of Florida feels like a little United Nations. If we could make the world only a couple a couple of miles across, but keep the mix of cultures, it would be the University of Florida.

ACCENT is an organization on campus that brings many influential speakers onto campus, some recent ones: Bob Saget, John Kerry, Jack Kevorkian, and Bill Nye the Science Guy. Partying is a big part of campus, most aren't sober all weekend. But it is possible to do so. There are usually a couple of house parties going on you can go to. Or you can head downtown to dance. Gator Nights is an activity on Friday nights when you want to keep it low-key where it's free for students to make things, hear bands, watch new movies at the student union. It's really fun.

Not at all. There is a wide range of activities and clubs. While the Greeks do control some aspects of the campus, life is totally normal without being a Greek. There also people from every walk of life and one does not feel pressure to fit in as most accept you for who and what you are. It is a very liberal campus, yet it is balanced by conservatives, keeping things balanced. The stereotype of Florida students being huge sports fans is mostly true. Campus comes alive with excitement and spirit on game days. Football is the main sport of worship, but others are appreciated too.

The classes here are taught by qualified professionals. But many times the classes are crowded and it is hard to get to know the professor. They are always available in their office hours and by appointment. Some classes, like in the English department are small and personal, however. Class participation is very common and most teachers include it as part of your grade. I actually had a teacher keep track of how many times I participated. The most interesting class I took was Russian Fairy Tales, where we read and discussed native Russian folk stories.

Many people think that UF students are all stuck up, rich sorority girls or frat boys. They also think everyone is a super genius, too busy studying to have fun.

Erica

The best thing by far is football season. There is nothing like spending an entire Saturday in the Swamp watching the gators kick ass. Game days are some of my most memorable experiences at the University of Florida.

I think UF has a very open, aware and accepting campus. The administration as a whole welcomes and encourages diversity (in all of it forms) on our campus.

As you would assume all the classes are different and it just depends on the prof. you have. If it's a huge class (which most of you first semester will be full of) don't expect to get to know your teacher unless you go to their office hours.

UF offers A LOT of opportunity to get out and be social. We have really interesting special events every semester for example, I saw both Bob Saget and the guys from Myth Busters this semester. When I lived in a dorm all the dorms on my floor were ALWAYS open and I met some of my closest friends living there. The rest of my best friends I met by joing Alpha Phi Omega, co-ed service fraternity. Being a brother in A Phi O has really made my college experience beyond amazing.

We're all cocky and mean. All we do is study no one has any fun.

Not at all, I'm sure there are cocky and mean people at UF but there are obnoxious people everywhere, it definately isn't the mojority of our campus. For the most part I've met some of the most amazing people here and would not have changed my choice to be here for anything. Of course we have fun! This is a college town if we didn't take time off to have a great time we'd all go insane.

We are champions!! We know how to have fun and this is the best place to go to college in the entire world.

Katie

UF was a great school to go to- it has a very good academic reputation as well as a great social/athletic reputation. In my opinion, it has earned both of those by performing well in the classroom and out. I loved the size- although some may believe 50,000 people on one campus is too much, it was just right for me. As far as the town of Gainesville, who wouldn't want a whole town that bleeds orange and blue? I couldn't have asked for a better environment to live in during my 4 years of college.

I always felt like there was a place for everyone to "fit in" on campus- there are hundreds of different groups to join that I never felt like I was really alone.

When I lived in the dorms, we had out dorm open almost all day. Our hall was very social. It was also nice to have a study room in the dorm building so I could get away from the noise and buckle down- and I could do so without leaving the building. People do party a good amount, but I had countless Saturday nights where friends and I didn't have a drop to drink and had the time of our lives. Roadtrips were a big hit in my group- it was fun to drive a few hours, camp for the night and see a new part of Florida if we could.

The first 1-2 years, classes are big- up to 300 students. But by the 2-3 year, my classes were 20-50 students and all the teachers knew everyone's names. Professors in my college encouraged students to meet with them often and have done a great job keeping in touch after graduation.

We are all beach bums and blonde

Kate

Big happy family. The school is just the right size. People react positively, for the most part, when I tell them I go to UFL. I spend a lot of time in the dining hall stuffing my face. Good college town right around campus. Except parking sucks outside of campus. wtf is with the abortion grave Loootsssssss of school pride, which I love. Because there's reason for it.

Most people are rich. I fall in the very very bottom of income levels here. People seem to dress however they want, regardless of what people will say. Which is awesome.

Students in my dorm leave doors open! No one really goes to the events, though. We just hang out here.

Professors know my name. I liked cultural diversity a lot. Hated vampire stories, it was stupid and seemed to center on lesbianity. Which is retarded. Lots of intellectual conversations while walkign around.

Devin

The best thing about UFL is that there is such a variety of students here in Gainesville, it gives us all an opportunity to grow and learn from each other. We all come from different backgrounds and families, but we all have the desire to learn in common. In sharing this, the college experience is that much better.

The student body is extremely diverse because the admissions office makes it a point to not accept thousands of the same carbon copy student. We all come from very different places physically and mentally, but what we share brings us together, being a part of the Gator Nation. Spirit for our school is definitely something that we all share.

The social life here is pretty banging. It's a fun time while still keeping school in mind. The parties don't get too wild, but enough to have a good time while taking a break from the books.

Some may say UFL students are party students, but contrary to popular belief, most of us actually do study and work hard on our education.

The learning environment here is so chill because everyone came from the top of their high schools back home, and we all know we are worthy to be here, so there isn't much of the high school competitiveness to be the best anymore.

I'm a part of Alpha Phi Omega, National Co-ed Service Fraternity. It's a great time, with some pretty great people!! Everyone should look into it, because Tau chapter here at UFL is the best chapter out there!!

Shannon

UFL is in one word amazing. Pretty much where ever you go, people have heard of UF and you can get a "Go Gators!" There is so much school pride that it is crazy. People are always wearing school colors, especially during football season. Everyone on campus and everyone who is or was a gator at one point is always really friendly and nice. It seems like there is just this understood respect that everyone in the Gator Nation has for one another. I do not really know how else to explain it. It is just really great to go to UF and to be a Florida Gator!

Most students wear pretty normal clothes to class, usually just jeans and some sort of shrit. A lot of UF students are from Florida, especially Orlando. I think that you can find somewhere on campus to belong and fit in, not matter who you are; it is just a matter of finding where exactly that is.

That we are all obesessed with sports and that we think that we are better than everyone else, especially when it comes to sports.

Students at UF seem to study a lot, but they also know that there is a time for work and a time for play. They know how to budget their time and have pretty well developed time management skills. Students are not that competitive; most of the competition was when you were trying to get into UF, not when you are actually in. There is a lot of competition if you are Pre-Med or something like that though. The classes for the most part are not that bad, except for a few. I feel that the academic requirements are fair for the most part, except that in CLAS you have to take a foreign language because for me, it has nothing to do with my major and it will just be an annoying waste of time.

Students on my dorm floor tend to leave their doors open. We are a pretty social floor, but I know some that are not. I met my closest friend, by my introducing myself to the girl next door. I am involved in two groups, SONG and Alpha Phi Omega. SONG is a acapella singing group that goes out in the community to homeless shelters, nursing homes, etc. and sings to people. Alpha Phi Omega is a co-ed community service fraternity, but it is not greek. It is a great group to belong to! We do community service all the time and we even run the UF Information booth in Turlington. We help out where ever we are needed.

No, they are not accurate. Yes, we are really into sports, but we just love our team and have a lot of team pride and spirit.

UF is an amazing school and I could not imagine going anywhere else!

Rory

The best thing about UF is that you can make it as large or as small as you want to. By joining groups, you can make this university seem small. This is definitely a college town. Most of what goes on centers around the university.

There are many different types of people on campus. We ar every diverse.

There are a lot of social fraternities and sororities on campus. There are also a lot of student organizations. However, being in these organizations doesn't define you. It is not mandatory to be in an organization to have friends at UF.

The academics at UF are very important. Most of my professors know my name. We like to get into study groups and the professors put us into group projects a lot.

Some of the stereotypes are that we are obnoxious, think that we are better than others, and that we like to party.

Ali

Our school is too large sometimes in that resources can be tight. I have difficulty getting in to see an advisor a lot of the time because there are just so many students. Traffic can be a nightmare. Classes are pretty full. But having a large student body has its perks, too. It is a lot of fun at football games to see the Swamp filled with orange and blue. The Gator nation is pretty big, and I love it! There's a lot more spirit here than you might find at other colleges. When I tell people I go to UF, some of them say "wow--you must be smart!" Others say "oh...a state school..." It pretty much depends on who is responding. In Florida, UF is considered an excellent school. It's just not an Ivy. I spend a lot of time on campus in the library, which is stellar. There's a starbucks there and a lot of nice, quiet places to sit and study. I also spend a lot of time in the Plaza of the Americas, which is just a lot of grass and trees and people relaxing and eating lunch and whatnot. It's nice, especially since Florida weather rocks. COLLEGE TOWN all the way. I think it depends what part of the UF administration being discussed. I think my study abroad advisor is horrible and a total you know what. I think my academic advisors are really dumb and unhelpful. But I thought my honors advisors were pretty cool, and I think the administration for my particular major does a decent job. Big recent controversies... oh, there are plenty. There was that tasering business back in the fall. Andrew Meyer is ridiculous. More recently though, there have been a lot of budget and transparency issues I think. As a rather huge state school with a legally capped tuition, UF has a lot of financial difficulties. People get upset when they see money going towards what appears to be a frivilous thing because meanwhile, majors and faculty are getting cut. Also, student government has some issues. It isn't exactly the most diverse group of people running the show, and the Greeks pretty much infiltrate the system. That has caused some problems with things like an opposition party's attempt to have UF do online voting for student government elections in an effort to mobilize the vote (rather than just having sororities and fraternities make up the entire voting population because they tell their members it's mandatory). TONS of school pride. Size, maybe. And I think Tim Tebow is a bit unusual...unusually freaking awesome. Winning those back-to-back national championships. The streets were wild with crazy happy college kids. It was so much fun! The parking is unbelievably awful here. I don't know a single driver who hasn't been ticketed or towed (or more likely both multiple times) in Gainesville. Like seriously? Make more parking spots, people!

I don't think anyone would feel that out of place here, since there are just so many people. It is hard NOT to find somewhere to fit in I think. Most students wear flip-flops and just whatever to class. Different types of students interact, certainly. Most students here are from Florida, but the financial backgrounds vary. Students are somewhat politically aware...it's hard for me to answer this since, as a political science major, a lot of the people I know and see regularly are not, politically, your average student. There are an awful lot of libertarians here (unfortunately...I'm just not a fan).

Some of the more elite colleges stereotype UF as a stupid state school with students only concerned about parties and football.

Athletic events are VERY popular here. Game days during football season pretty much revolve around...football. Guest speakers are also pretty popular. We have an ACCENT speakers bureau that coordinates all the guest speaker stuff. We've had some interesting people come to our campus, plus it's free! My closest friends I met in the dorm, in some classes, in my co-ed fraternity, and doing community service projects. I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday a lot, and I'm usually doing hw at that point. People party a lot here. Fraternities and sororities have a lot of pull here, and there are a lot of them. Last weekend I took my pledge final, went to two fellowships, did a fundraiser carwash, and went to coffee with a friend.

This semester all of my professors know my name, but I'm taking unusually small classes. I take a lot of honors courses, which are kept at 25 students per class. But it isn't necessarily the norm to have your professors here know your name, no. My favorite class was this political science class on varying ideologies. The professor was AMAZING. Actually, I won a small scholarship writing about how he and that class changed my perception. Students surprisingly study a lot here--as can be noted by the extraordinary lack of breathing room and parking spots in and around the library (respectively) this time of year (it's finals week). Students are competitive in their own ways. There are a lot of people here so it isn't like everyone is racing to be a valedictorian or graduate first in their class of...um...ten thousand students. But it is competitive in that a lot of us strive to do well. I've taken a statistical analysis class that using poker to demonstrate concepts. It was a good class. Also, my forensic science class is out-of-this-world cool. Our professor is a pretty well-known forensic entomologist, and everything he says just blows my mind. My major...is kind of filled with a lot of pretentious assholes. Not gonna lie. No, I don't see a lot of my professors out of class, really. I think UF's academic requirements are pretty standard. My personal education here has been a lot about learning for its own sake. I am currently taking all electives...nothing for my majors or for the fulfillment of any requirements. But I think that might be somewhat looked down on here, yea. I had to declare a double-major to avoid being forced by an advisor to graduate before I was ready to end my education, if that says anything to anyone about the priorities here. To be fair, there are, like I said before, money issues.

For some people, maybe. Certainly not across the board.

I was sent to this survey by Alpha Phi Omega!!!

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.