Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Our school is very large, but their is a niche for everyone. There are so many clubs and student groups that everyone can find an organization and a group of friends where they belong. UF students are smart, friendly, and supportive of eachother.

We have the largest variety of students that I have ever encountereed at any school. All of the groups hold big events where everyone is welcome. I think the groups are supportive of eachother despite being different. Most UF students are from Florida, but there are a few students from elsewhere. The students come from a wide variety of races, cultures, and socioeconomic statuses.

We are stereotyped as only caring about sports and partying and not our acedemics.

The academics at UF are challenging. Lower level classes take place in big lecture halls, but break down into smaller groups atleast once a week. UF has a liberal arts curriculum which I enjoy. you are required to take courses outside of your main field of study.

I am involved in a co-ed community service fraternity. Through this organization I have made many friends. What I like most about it is that I feel that I have made a big impact on the community. I have helped plan many community service events such as a Girl Scout field day, voulenteering at the local nursing home, and working with animal services.

NO! Although we do have school spirit, UF is a very acedemically challenging school. We care about our grades and education.

Jamie

One of the best things about UF is the diversity. There are so many different kinds of students here that anybody can have a group of friends. The size is a little too big. There are so many people here, that, yes, you can find people that are like you, but it is very difficult to find them when you first get here. It is hard to get out of that high school setting, because a lot of people who come here, come with friends from high school. I was able to join a co-ed service fraternity and that is where I spend most of my time. I love that I was able to find a group of people that are very similar to me. The administration seems to be on top of things, although I have never had to deal with them for any administrative reasons. One of the experiences that I will always remember about UF is waking up in my dorm room on campus last year, looking out the window, and seeing a sea of orange and blue. It was one of the most amazing experiences ever to see that much school spirit flooding the University and the community.

No student would feel out of place at UF. There is such a large number of students here that everyone has a chance to fit in. These groups such as racial, religious, LGBTQ, socio-economic, etc. all have large followings. Everyone wears different things to class. Some people just go in what they woke up and rolled into, sweats and a t-shirt. Others, however, go all out in their jeans, nice tops and pearls. There is definitely an interaction in groups of students. It's always interesting to see people of different backgrounds, social groups or even class years interacting. It definitely helps eliminate many stereotypes after leaving high school. There are a variety of people with different financial backgrounds present here. Because of the great scholarship opportunities available, many people are able to go here without feeling the financial burden.

Many people think that UF students are a lot smarter than students at any other state school around Florida. They also think that many graduates of the International Baccalaureate got into UF just because they graduated from IB.

Academics at UF is an interesting topic. In most of the classes I've had so far, I was not able to have a personal relationship with my professors because the class was so big. A few, less popular classes, were smaller, but still had the big class feeling. My favorite class so far social psychology, which was good, since it relates to my major. Class participation is common in smaller classes, but not so much in bigger ones. Students here study a lot. The library is always packed, as it is a popular place to spend the late hours of the night studying. I think the education at UF is geared more toward getting a job than learning. Everything here is very structured and intense, as far as learning goes. In most of the classes I've taken, I have to try really really hard to actually learn and get a good grade at the same time.

A large number of students on campus belong to sororities and fraternities. That's not to say they are the most popular, they are just definitely the most prevalent. Social sororities and fraternities are very very active in Student Government life and give little chance to any other organization to take part in these politics. I, personally, am involved in a co-ed, service, fraternity (not a social one) and have found that this is exactly where I fit. When I lived in a dorm the first summer I came here, all the girls left their doors open. It was a very social, fun environment. When I started in the fall in a different dorm, no one left their doors open. I think everyone was eager to meet others when they first got here in summer, but probably decided they'd met enough people by the fall. Football is HUGE here! Game days are the most exciting, exhilarating days you'll experience at UF. There are a ton of traditions and events associated with football that involve everyone from students to alumni to athletes. The university also plans a lot of events such as guest speakers, movie nights, shows, etc. to help students have fun without being in danger.

I am supporting Alpha Phi Omega and our current philanthropic endeavors by filling out this survey. We are currently supporting the St. Francis House, which is a great organization.

Yes. The first one, about being smarter, is true in many respects. UF is the hardest public university to get into in the state of Florida, and therefore has a smarter group of students. The IB stereotype, has been true in the past, but is starting to disappear. The university is starting to limit their acceptance numbers, and therefore not every high school IB student gets in.

Rob

One thing to love about UF is the variety of activities available to participate in, in part because of the number of students that attend. The large number of students is also a diverse group; which was different for me, and definitely better. Administration has their hands full with budget cuts and constant student complaints, but overall they're not bad. I agree with other groups on campus that would like to see UF invest its money ethically i.e. not in companies profiting from war, unsustainable practices, tobacco/alcohol companies etc. Anyone who goes to a football game at UF remembers it. Its incredible to be in a full stadium when everyone is shouting, doing the wave, informing the referees they made a bad call, or telling the opposing team to go home by jingling keys. This is just one aspect of the Gator Nation that most students come to love and look forward to, but there is so much more here too.

The diversity at UF is incredible. Anyone should be able to feel at home here. There are Christian groups from the conservative to liberal spectrum, Islam on Campus is very active, and the Jewish community is alive too. This is great for folks like me who come from a very culturally sheltered area, as you can go to events like the Ramadan Fast-a-Thon to raise money for hunger relief and learn more about Islam. You just have to start looking around to find what you agree with and what you support.

We are better at everything! Athletes get easy grades. We have a lot of school spirit. Everyone drinks.

Greek life is alive and well at UF, to the disappointment of some and the joy of others. There are also "fraternities" such as Alpha Phi Omega (a coed service frat) that use a lot of the traditions of the Greek system but aren't part of the actual Greek system. You set your social life, if you don't get out there and find things to do, you will be bored. If you look for stuff to do and people to meet, you will find them.

Professors will get to know you if you approach them I believe. In my smaller classes (Honors Classes) the profs know my name. In lecture classes, you just have to go to office hours if you need them. My favorite classes are my chemistry classes, because there are some awesome professors. Very difficult profs test-wise, but very good. Students do have intellectual conversations out of class, but its not an everyday thing for most.

We are better at most things. I think athletes have an easy time with classes. We have a whole lot of school spirit. Not everyone drinks, but most people do.

Alex

If i could change one thing at the school to make it more inviting, i would work on the racial barriers that are still present today. Many students do not go out of their comfort zone unless something tragic has happened.

most florida students are from florida and many are middle and upper class. there is class system on campus and it can be mostly seen through frats and sorority's

drinking on this campus is a big problem. there may be tons to do that doesn't involve drinking but students will find a way to make sure they are drunk when they reach their destination.

Only in small classes do i feel the professor know names. in big class professor stop going to their own office hours do to lack of involvement with the students.

Alex

I think the atmosphere is the best thing about UF. The school is large, but even in the college of business I have been able to find extremely small and intimate classes. People react very favorably when I tell them I go to UF. I spend most of my time in my classrooms, and occasionally in the Union and Library West. I also go to the SW Rec Center frequently. I feel the administration works in the best interest of the students, and they aim to avoid troublesome situations while still providing students the liberties to speak and act freely.

Even though I cannot compare to another student body on another college campus, I have found in my time here that our campus is incredibly diverse and open. There are student groups for almost every racial minority and religious group you can imagine, and over 700 groups in all. I feel like there is a place for everyone to feel comfortable with the number of students who live and study here. The campus, overall, is very friendly. There is a fair level of interaction between students daily, and none of my encounters with other students have been particularly negative. There are certainly diverse ethnic and financial backgrounds represented here, but I feel that most people handle there differences appropriately.

It's GREAT to be a Florida Gator. ALPHA PHI OMEGA

I have taken several classes at UF that have had several hundred students enrolled. However, many of the large lecture classes have smaller breakout groups, which allows the student to establish a more personal relationship with the instructor or a TA. I study frequently, but I feel that what I put into my work is equivalent to what I get out. Since I arrived here, the classes have gotten much more impressive and competitive. Admission to UF is much more difficult than even 10 years ago, and I expect the improvement to continue. The structure of the academic requirements is very efficient for such a large college system.

There are several large organizations on campus. Campus Crusade and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes are both well-represented, as are the Jewish and other religious students. In addition, the intramurals at UF are extremely well-organized and offer a wide variety of options for sport and activity. The athletic program here is one of the best in the country without question. Throughout the academic year, there is at least one major sport in full swing, including football, basketball and baseball, as well as gymnastics, soccer and softball. Fraternities and sororities make up about 17% of students on campus, so they are visible but not overwhelming. There are plenty of activities to engage in without drinking, both on and off-campus. The school puts on Gator Nights every Friday night and is always showing free movies. Additionally, there are malls, amusement centers, downtown restaurants, flea markets and Jai-Alai all within 15-20 min of campus.

Carly

UF is the oldest, biggest and arguably the most prestigious public university in Florida, and it is many high schoolers top choice in the state, and it has a very "university" feel. I am proud to say that I attend UF. I love Gainesville, which is considered a college town. UF is large enough that students can get involved with almost anything they desire; from greek life to Students for a Democratic Society, and from putting on performances at our theater to leading study groups. Students always have avenues with which to stand out, even at such a populated school. It is not uncommon to find students across campus simply laying down on the grass with a book. However, some problems have arisen lately. For one, many departments in the school are in debt, and on top of that, many schools are receiving budget cuts. This severely affects class size and quality, and if students can even sign up for different classes. There has also been issues with the administration investing in "socially irresponsible" investing, and also not making many of their spending habits transparent to the public. There are also virtually no parking spaces for students, which is especially a problem for many of the libraries on campus which stay open until after the buses stop running.

The student population here is so large that everyone has an avenue for expression and feeling welcome within a group of their own. I don't think that many students would feel out of place here. There is a Black Student Union, as well as an organization only for Lebanese students. Religious organizations cover everything from Baptist Collegiate Ministries to Pagan Student Union. There are organizations for every political cause, academic track, minority group, hobby, or remote interest available. Most UF students are involved in at least one organization. Most UF students are from Florida, although we boast a decent-sized International population. Many financial backgrounds feel welcome because there are so many scholarships here, as well as the work study program.

Some. Many more people on this campus than on others have scooters, and because of the warm weather, we wear flip flops more frequently than others. Gainesville as a city is known for being very bike-friendly, many people take advantage of that. UF is also known for being a big "party school", and we 3 recent National Championships under our belt, many of us feel proud of our athletic teams. However, the student population is so big that we just can't all be grouped together, and these stereotypes are simply the most visible ones.

UF has many social networks, and there are many things to do on campus. Living in a dorm is one of the fastest and easiest ways of getting to know others. Being involved with an organization is another fun way to do that. UF brings many popular guests here, including Elton John, MythBusters, Bob Saget, Dane Cook, and more. We also have the largest student-run pep rally, called Gator Growl, every fall before our homecoming game. Many people are involved with greek life, and they have an enormous political influence over the happenings at the school as well as holding office in the Student Government. UF has many avenues for community service that I personally like to take advantage of. We also have property on a lake about 10 miles away from campus, where students can participate in water sports, rock climbing, or simply hold a cookout.

Freshman year, many classes are between 200 and 400 students. As students move up academically, class sizes become smaller. Professors do not know students names automatically; Students must make themselves known by being active in class. A downside to academics here is that many professors were hired for research, and although they may be intelligent, they are not necessarily good at teaching the information that they know. Another downside is that many professors are tenured, and do not need to worry about performing well as teachers because they will still get paid. My major is Family, Youth, and Community Sciences; and I'm lucky because my department is small enough that I can meet with my adviser almost whenever I wish to. My classes are interesting and are preparing me for graduating.

We all have scooters, we all wear flip flops, we all have bikes, we all drink alcohol every day and go downtown every weekend, and love sports much more than academics.

Katie

UF is a very large school but that means that everyone can find their niche.

UF is a very large school but that means that everyone can find their niche.

Most students are from Florida but Florida as a state is extremely diverse.

The classes are very large and very competitive. Most exams are hard.

Ash

I love the diversity. I have met students from Africa, Italy, Norway, etc.... There are also so many people from Asia. I think it is amazing. I have learned so much about the world.

Most of the people I meet are democrats, which is annoying when I am a republican. Most are only democrats because they hate Bush. But Clinton was 10 times worse than Bush. Just because there was no war during his time does not mean he was a good president. I wish that we had some conservative speakers. Kevorkian and Bill Nye came, both liberals.

There are so many stereotypes at UF. There are the nerds who are so smart. They do not look like a jock or anything like that so people look down on them. They think they are asocial and dont know how to communicate. I stereotype sororities a lot. All they want to do is drink and have sex with guys. People stereotype me when I tell them I am a recovering bulimic. They think I am very superficial and just looking for attention but that is not true at all.

I hate student government. Most of the money from student government goes to frats and sororities. They waste so much money. We could be sending that money towards more liberal arts and science classes. Most people do not even care about student government. I think the student voice should be heard but we can be heard with less money.

This school is so competitive. I thought maybe it was just me but I realized that others feel like me. There are so many brilliant minds here and it is hard to stand out sometimes when your grades are mediocre.

I know my stereotype about sororities is wrong because I have met some really cool girls who are in them and they dont just sleep around with every guy.

Lakeside wont let us keep the volleyball net up on weekdays. But it is one of the only things that brings the students who live in this area together.

Jordan

UF has many great opportunities to join extra curricular activities and academic activities. The support team is great, including academic advisor's, career resource center, and the disability resource center. Something id change is the way students are accepted into their own colleges , using the universal tracking method.

It seems that there are many different races and religions at UF. MOst students are from jacksonville and miami.

Professors do not know our name. My least favorite class is financial accounting. Participation is common depending on the teacher. Many students have intellectual conversations outisde of class but many do not. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. Academic requirements are all on our Audit

alli

I love the diversity on campus, i could say that the school is rather large but that helps with networking and oppurtunity, People react in regards like ohhh you must me smart, or how lucky are you to go to uf; on campus in my dorm; deff a college town; no opinion; TONS of school pride the gator nation is EVERYWHERE;

I feel no students are out of place there is so much oppurtunity on the campus and so much diversity i feel no one should feel out of place, students are from everywhere, but i feel alot are from out of state and south florida; i feel that more people are wealthy, but that could be just the greek life;

Some students here are just nerds actually alot, but there are also just smart fun people that like to have a good time as well

UF is a great school and im so glad i am here, i am especially glad i am in the greek system, i feel it runs alot of UF and gives you many oppurtunities

Professors normally don't know your name unless you go out of your way to make them know your name; students study ALOT; very competitive a few classes are based on participation;

There is to much to do socially on this campus, there are multiple organization. I feel greek life is huge at UF but that could be just because i am in it. Dorms are also very social for freshman any time i come home there is someone also down stairs i know;

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.