Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Katie

UF is a very large school but that means that everyone can find their niche.

UF is a very large school but that means that everyone can find their niche.

Most students are from Florida but Florida as a state is extremely diverse.

The classes are very large and very competitive. Most exams are hard.

Ash

I love the diversity. I have met students from Africa, Italy, Norway, etc.... There are also so many people from Asia. I think it is amazing. I have learned so much about the world.

Most of the people I meet are democrats, which is annoying when I am a republican. Most are only democrats because they hate Bush. But Clinton was 10 times worse than Bush. Just because there was no war during his time does not mean he was a good president. I wish that we had some conservative speakers. Kevorkian and Bill Nye came, both liberals.

There are so many stereotypes at UF. There are the nerds who are so smart. They do not look like a jock or anything like that so people look down on them. They think they are asocial and dont know how to communicate. I stereotype sororities a lot. All they want to do is drink and have sex with guys. People stereotype me when I tell them I am a recovering bulimic. They think I am very superficial and just looking for attention but that is not true at all.

I hate student government. Most of the money from student government goes to frats and sororities. They waste so much money. We could be sending that money towards more liberal arts and science classes. Most people do not even care about student government. I think the student voice should be heard but we can be heard with less money.

This school is so competitive. I thought maybe it was just me but I realized that others feel like me. There are so many brilliant minds here and it is hard to stand out sometimes when your grades are mediocre.

I know my stereotype about sororities is wrong because I have met some really cool girls who are in them and they dont just sleep around with every guy.

Lakeside wont let us keep the volleyball net up on weekdays. But it is one of the only things that brings the students who live in this area together.

Jordan

UF has many great opportunities to join extra curricular activities and academic activities. The support team is great, including academic advisor's, career resource center, and the disability resource center. Something id change is the way students are accepted into their own colleges , using the universal tracking method.

It seems that there are many different races and religions at UF. MOst students are from jacksonville and miami.

Professors do not know our name. My least favorite class is financial accounting. Participation is common depending on the teacher. Many students have intellectual conversations outisde of class but many do not. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class. Academic requirements are all on our Audit

alli

I love the diversity on campus, i could say that the school is rather large but that helps with networking and oppurtunity, People react in regards like ohhh you must me smart, or how lucky are you to go to uf; on campus in my dorm; deff a college town; no opinion; TONS of school pride the gator nation is EVERYWHERE;

I feel no students are out of place there is so much oppurtunity on the campus and so much diversity i feel no one should feel out of place, students are from everywhere, but i feel alot are from out of state and south florida; i feel that more people are wealthy, but that could be just the greek life;

Some students here are just nerds actually alot, but there are also just smart fun people that like to have a good time as well

UF is a great school and im so glad i am here, i am especially glad i am in the greek system, i feel it runs alot of UF and gives you many oppurtunities

Professors normally don't know your name unless you go out of your way to make them know your name; students study ALOT; very competitive a few classes are based on participation;

There is to much to do socially on this campus, there are multiple organization. I feel greek life is huge at UF but that could be just because i am in it. Dorms are also very social for freshman any time i come home there is someone also down stairs i know;

Leah

The 2 best things about UF are my friends and the education. One thing I would change is how corrupt the politics can be. I love the size of the school. People are very impressed when I tell them I go to UF (unless they go to FSU!). Gainesville is definitely a college town. It probably wouldn't be on the map if UF wasn't here. The administration is generally very nice and helpful. I would say the biggest controversy on campus of late is the tasing of Andrew Mayer. There is a ton of school pride. I don't know if I've ever seen so many people support one institution. There's nothing unusual. One experience I'll always remember is my first summer here. It was amazing! I don't know what the most frequent complaint is.

Smart, somewhat slutty, Greek-life rules the campus, party too much

Yes my professors know my name. I love talking to them. My favorite class is scuba (PEN1134) and my least favorite is age of dinos. Students are always studying! Academics are important to most people here. Class participation is very common. Intellectual conversations are very common. Students are extremely competitive, especially older students doing research. The most unique class I've taken is scuba. I'm a biology major in CALS. I like it but the advising office is out in the middle of nowhere. I do spend time with my professors outside of class. UF's academic requirements are strict but achievable. Education is geared toward both getting a job and learning for fun.

The most popular groups of people on campus are the Greeks and athletes. I am Greek and love it! Yes students in dorms leave their doors open. Athletic events at UF are a must-see. Guest speakers are very popular. The theatre is okay. Guys don't really like to date. They like to hang out and watch movies or party but not take girls out on actual dates. I met my closest friends in my sorority. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm probably at a social. People party alot. Greek life is very important. Last weekend I went to several fraternity parties and studied and laid out during the day. On Saturday night, you can go to the movies, go to dinner, or even go out without drinking.

Katie

The best thing about UF in general for me is the sports. I know it shouldn't really matter and it's about the education, but it really makes a difference when you go to a school that is bursting with school pride. I just think it's awesome that our academics are ranked so highly and our sports are ballin' too. Most schools don't have both.

Turlington could sum this whole thing up for you. I don't feel like any type of person would feel out of place here because there are so many different types of people. I feel like most people just wear comfortable clothes to class, t-shirts and shorts or pants with a little differentiation. In a broader sense, it probably looks like each group basically sticks to themselves but I know personally I have met and interacted with many different types of people. Most UF students are from Florida, specifically Tampa and South Florida from my experiences. There are a lot of students who are politically active, and I would say everyone is really across the board with their stance. I feel like most people are Conservative or Liberal though, I have not met very many Moderates. I have never heard a student talk about how much they'll earn in one day.

Sometimes, I don't think it helps that we have a shirt that says "We aren't snobs...we are just better than you!"

I would have to say Greek life is the most popular collection of organizations. I'm involved in Delta Zeta and I love it: meeting so many girls, community service, philanthropies, going out, it has really made my college experience. I don't know very many students who leave their doors open, but I do live in a smaller dorm. The athletic events are very popular. Guest speakers and theater is also pretty popular I guess, it's just obviously not publicized as the athletics. The dating scene is okay, even though I feel like too many people get together when they are drunk at a party or bar. My closest friends are in my sorority. Dance Marathon is a tradition that happens every year. If you wanted to, you could find people to party with every night. Thursday nights are pretty big though. Fraternities and sororities are pretty important because they are involved with a lot of other organizations on campus, and they are able to get on the inside through their greek counterparts. On a dry Saturday night, you can watch movies, go bowling, just hang out with friends or play recreational sports for fun.

My professors do not know my name. My favorite class is Cultural Diversity in the U.S. and my least favorite would definately be Intro to Chemistry. It feels like students are always studying. Class participation is common but in varied ways. Students are competitive in general when it comes to getting into your college's programs but in a normal class I have never seen two students compete. My major is Health Eduacation and Behavior in the College of Health and Human Performance. I'm still a freshman so I don't have much information about how they work yet. I never spend time with professors outside of class, but I feel like UF's academic requirements are legitimate. The education is definately geared toward getting a job though.

We are stuck up and think we are better than everyone else.

Kristin

1. The opportunities to get involved. 2. The way in which people announce such opportunities and other evets...need to find a better way to get the word out about all the events. 3. The school is way too Big! 4. People think I am smart when I tell them I go here. 5. Library or sorority house. 6. College town. 7. Administration is good, but can confuse me sometimes. 8. A person was tazed at a political event. 9. LOTS of school pride. 10. There's a spot on campus where people preach thier opinions to everyone and it can sometimes cause a riot...it's very uncomfortable to walk by these people. 11. I will always remember the day I became a part of my sorority. 12. Students complain about the test schedules for their classes a lot.

1. None 2. No one would feel out of place here. 3. Jeans with tees. 4. Yes. 5. Skip 6. Students mostly from Florida, but lots of other places too. 7. Various financial backgrounds. 8. Students are very actie and aware in politics. 9. If left means liberal, they're left. 10. No.

We are Gator fanatics, smart and part of a top school, sometimes people think we think we are better than the other schools, especially other Florida schools.

1. Some do. 2. History is really interesting. I hate any math class here though. 3. Students study like crazy, a lot are in the library till 2am. 4. Class participation is not common unless in discussion class, 5. Yes. 6. Students are very competitive. 7. I am a PR major in the College of Journalism. I have heard it's tough. 8. No. 9. I feel UF expects a lot from us academically. Education is geared towards learning more so than a job, but it helps students in the career fied too.

1. Greeks Organizations, Cicerones, FLC, Student Government. 2. I'm involved in PRSSA, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and a Greek Organization. 3. Dorm doors usually stay shut. 4. Athletic events are extremely popular, especially Football! 5. Guest Speakers are huge. 6. Theater, I don't know. 7. Dating scene, not sure. 8. Met my friends through dorms, classes, and sorority. 9. Coming home from a night out with friends, or studying. 10. Football season happens each year and it's always a big event. Gator Growl is a huge Pep Rally every year. 11. People party a lot, something every night. 12. Greek Life is huge at UF. 13. I was sick last weekend so I slept. 14. Movie night, dinner, bowling, movie theater, dancing. 15. Eat at restaurants or go shopping.

All but the third one, for the most part.

Shawn

The best thing about UFL is the school spirit. When I tell people I go to UF, the biggest reaction is jealousy. My father loves telling friends and co-workers that he is a 'Gator Dad'. He likes to tell me about how impressed people are when they hear that. Most of my time on campus is spent in classrooms or grabbing a bite to eat with friends. Gainesville is the epitome of a college town. Its small, but there's plenty of nightlife, cultural venues, and entertainment in general. My friends and I joke when we are out and see a family or small kids saying, "wow, i forgot other people live here."

gator fanatics'. 'smart, nerdy kids'

UF has some of the best facilities and resources available and i'm lucky to be apart of that. Many of my professors know my name. But if I find myself among hundreds of others in a huge lecture hall, I understand that the professor might not remember exactly who I am. Im fine with this and just try to look at it as a positive experience: I may be one of a couple hundred, but at least i'm lucky enough to sit here in front of this great teacher. Class participation is expected but I feel, even if it wasn't, students would still feel comfortable stating their thoughts. Everyone at UF is here because they are bright, forward-thinking individuals who like to think and like to share their views. Even outside the classroom, students have intellectual conversations. Students are UF are competitive in the respect that everyone is bright and motivated. But its not as if you're constantly gunning to outshine the person sitting next to you. The most unique class i've been in is 'Plants, Gardening, and You'. It is also my favorite. Personally, i have never felt the need to meet with professors outside of class. I do, however, know a lot of people who do. I know that professors always make themselves available to students who might need out-of-class assistance. The education at UF is top rate and is not driven by the idea that one HAS to focus solely on what is going to get them a successful career right after graduation. One thing I like about UF is that the people here like learning. So, yes i'm going to take an assortment of classes and learn for learnings sake.But I also know that, once ive finished the curriculum i'm going to leave prepared for whatever career path I have chosen.

wherever you go, you'll find people who will fit under specific stereotypes; however, that doesn't mean everyone is going to be like that.

Greek life is a predominant group on campus. Student Government is actively apart of campus as well. There are tons of groups to become involved in, breaking up the mass of campus into smaller, more close knit communities. Even dorms are places of bonding. Athletic events are a HUGE part of campus life. Football season is magical and basketball season is just as crazy. UF students LOVE LOVE LOVE the gators. I've been to everything from rugby games, to lacrosse, to gymnastics, to football, to cheerleading. Each attracts a different fan, but each is entertaining. The ACCENT program brings many well-know, respected, and/or controversal speakers to UF. This year alone, we've heard from John Kerry, Bill Bye, and Jack Kevorkian, just to name a few.

Sterling

There is pride coming out of the water fountains down here. We love our school, and it loves us. Going to football games is amazing, where else do you see 90,000+ people in a stadium screaming their hearts out, this includes alumni from 50 years ago. Your first football game is an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Even students like me, who were gator kids and had been to games, feel differently when we attend that first game as a student. We truly are the Gator Nation, and once you are a part of it, you are a part of it for life. The university is large, but it doesn't feel like it. I have yet to find a professor that is unhelpful or an adviser that doesn't have time to talk with me individually. If you don't mind being in some large classes, UF is for you. You do need to be self-motivated though, and this is very important. The professors and TA's have too much to do to be breathing down your neck to make sure that you are completing assignments. When I tell people that I go to UF, they are usually impressed or envious. Many, many people want to go here. This is the state of Florida's flagship university, and we aim to keep it that way. UF has a reputation not just for athletic prowess but for academic achievement as well, and it is well deserved.

There are religious radicals that travel throughout the southeast, and they make their appearances at UF as well. Just ignore them. This campus is very diverse. I have seen people of many different cultures, from Orthodox Jews to Muslim women who observe hijab. There is a positive effect from all this, as students from all different cultures interact and work to reduce boundaries. I am friends with people that I couldn't have imagined meeting a year ago. Socio-economic status doesn't matter much here, because if you got accepted then you deserve to be here. The student body here is politicized, but not overtly so. There are always the standouts, those who volunteer and are really into it, but for the most part students keep their views to themselves. Be prepared to have a long discussion if you ask someone, though, and don't be surprised at how literate we are on the issues that concern our country. There is a fairly even distribution of political views, and usually people can have polite discussions about their views without resorting to spewing rhetoric. I have yet to meet one student that is here studying for the money. Students here are here to get an education, which will lead to a career. Money isn't the largest motivating factor here, this isn't a trade school.

I am happy to report that these stereotypes are not accurate. Jorts are nowhere to be seen, and I have yet to see anyone come to class drunk (except the occasional TA). The students and faculty here are great, and most everyone is openminded and helpful.

Professors do know my name, but that is only because I am active in classes. The TA's are the ones that will usually have contact with you personally. There are generally intelligent discussions, and I have on more than one occasion had hours-long discussions with friends about issues raised in classes.

Some stereotypes? That we are loud and ugly, and drunk all the time. Some of our rival schools (read FSU) accuse us of being unfashionable. Others (read UGA) accuse us of being stupid.

Kristina

My favorite thing about UF is that it's rich in tradition. As large and diverse as the school is, we all have a mutual love for the Gators! I think UF is actually too large. I feel that my professors couldn't care less about me as an individual because they have hundreds of other students. When I tell people I go to UF, I always receive a very positive reaction. Since it's a very prestigious and competitive school, most assume that I am very intelligent and hard working. UF is definitely a college town! When you go to a school of nearly 50,000 people, he town is bound to be overrun with 20-something's. The most frequent complaint from myself and others besides the class sizes is the lack of parking on campus. I live two miles off of campus, but I have a 25 minute public bus ride every day.

None of my professors have ever known my name. I feel that UF's academic requirements are very demanding. Most of my classes taken here have been over difficult for what I believe is because there are hardly any real professors! In my two years here, I've only taken two classes that have been taught by professionals, most are graduate students trying to prove a point that they can give pop quizzes the day before Spring Break or on the day of a National Championship game.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.