Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

I would change the class registration process. It is very difficult to get into the classes I need for my major. While UF is a large school, I love it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. People generally react in a positive manner when I tell them I go to UF, unless they are from FSU. I think people hear that I go to UF and correlate that with my intelligence, which I'm fine with. I spend most of my time on campus at my sorority house. Gainesville is definitely a college town. Gainesville = the University of Florida. I think the administration does a good job; I don't have any complaints. A big controversy on campus right now is "minus" grades. I, personally, do not think they should come into play; I think it will cause GPAs to suffer greatly. UF students definitely have a lot of school spirit and pride. There isn't really anything that unusual about UF. I'll always remember my first class at UF. It was a feeling of, "I can't believe I'm actually here. I really made it." I worked really hard to get here, and being in my first class made me realize that my hard work had paid off. I don't know of any frequent student complaints.

I am not a member of any such groups on campus, though I have seen them speaking in Turlington Plaza during the school day. I don't think any student would feel out of place at UF. With so many students, there really is a place for everyone. Students wear a variety of things to class: some people get dressed up while others wear T-shirts and jeans. The weather is also a factor. Different types of students interact through the different groups they are members of. The dining hall is really a mix of people. I think that people mostly sit with friends, but there is no specific rhyme or reason to it. All financial backgrounds are represented. Some students come from money, and others are here on scholarships. Students come from a variety of political backrgounds but are very active no matter which way they stand.

The students here are definitely intelligent, and we are, indeed, talented in the athletic department. Some students take on a traditional Southern role, but not everyone.

I think the Greek community is a popular one. It is a way for students to come together and make friends with other students with similar interests. I never lived in the dorm. Football and basketball games are very popular, as well as different speakers and shows on campus. I met my closest friends through my sorority. On Tuesday at 2 am, I am probably studying; I have early class on Wednesdays. Certain traditions with football season occur every year: Homecoming (Gator Growl) and, in the Greek community, Dance Marathon. Some people party a lot, while others don't. It just depends on the kind of person you are. My sorority is important to me, and I think sororities and fraternities do a lot on campus. Last weekend I went to a fraternity's Woodser. On a Saturday night, you can go to the movies, hang out with friends, go to clubs, just about anything; no one is forcing anybody to drink.

Smart, good at sports, Southern

Some of my teachers know my name; they are mostly TAs. My other classes, though, are large lectures, and teachers do not know my name except through E-mail. My favorite class is HSC2100 - Human Sexuality & Culture. It's very interesting, and I truly learn something new and interesting every lecture. Students study quite a bit. I feel that the students here are very dedicated to their school work. Class participation is common in discussions, but not really in large lecture halls. Students talk about intellectual topics outside of class. I talk about politics, the upcoming elections and other issues with my friends. Personally, I am a competitive student, but I'm not sure if other students feel the same way. The most unique class I've taken is my Human Sexuality class. My major is Public Relations which is a part of the College of Journalism & Communications. I do not spend time with professors outside of class. I think UF's academic requirements match the calibre of its students. Education at UF is a combination of learning for its own sake and for getting a job. Classes teach you things that are geared toward a career as well as things that make you a more well-rounded and knowledgable individual.

Becca

Total college town, Gainesville would be nothing without the University. Gator Pride is overwhelming. A visit doesn't do it justice, you don't get the full effect until you go here. The school is very big and it's something hard to meet people, ironically.

Most students are from Florida, it's kind of fun to find an out-of-stater. There are so many students here that you'll find everyone from Goths to sorority girls to nerds. Walking around campus is an interesting experience. I know probably 200 people here and only see maybe 2 or 3 people I know around campus. You'll be sure to find a group of people to fit in with.

Favorite class: Drug Use in Society, very informative, a lot of work but I don't mind it since the class and teacher are interesting. Most (at least 1st year) classes are lecture, online, or taught by GA's. The new grading system which will take place next Spring will include minus grades which make GPA requirements for Bright Futures and other programs even tougher.

Too big, football school, smart kids

Athletic events, especially football and basketball, are very popular but often hard to get tickets to. There are so really cool preformaces and even big name artists, like Elton John and Dave Matthews Band, that come here. Greek life is a big part of campus, you can't walk around without seeing Greek letters. The University offers a lot of on-campus activities both during the week and on the weekends that don't involve drinking. Try to live in a dorm with a communal bathroom, you meet more people.

When i first came to UF I was a little overwhelmed by the size. I thought i might be just an 8 digit UFID number in a sea of students. But it's really not like that at all. Once you learn your way around campus you see that its really not so big. Also your classes will be in the same general area based on your major so that will become your campus. I feel like everyone an UF finds their niche and a place and crowd they feel comfortable in. I think with a big university there are so many diverse people that you can learn from and you don't get that from a small university. UF is the ideal college town. I love how you can cross university ave and be in the city. You can grab a burrito at burrito brothers or go to target copy and get your coursepack right in between class! The city revolves around the students and businesses depend on us for business so they cater to their needs. Sometimes I like to schedule my classes so I have an hour to relax. If i have my lap tap i'll go to Orange and Brew to study. When the weather is nice, (which is about 75% of the time! Another great thing about going to UF!) I'll get Krishna lunch with some friends in the Plaza of the Americas. I'm a photojournalism student and i love just walking around camps, watching students, and seeing the campus from different views. It's really incredible, the architecture, the age of the buildings and watching people interact.

I love my smaller journalism classes. My design classes are based around projects and while there is some lecturing it is really hands on. Photojournalism is always really interesting and Mr. Freeman really knows how to inspire his students. It's impressive to me what a qualified photojournalist he is and how much knowledge he has about the subject. Teachers make an effort to have class participation. My least favorite classes have been math and science classes. They aren't as hands on. Luckily my general education classes are out of the way. I feel like the journalism classes are really trying to prepare you for a job. I feel like the material is most likely something i will use again in my job or for another class. It's nice to know that i'm not wasting time in class filling my brain with knowledge i'll never use. I feel like my design teacher Renee Kratzer is always available and eager to talk. She is really intersted in the jobs we plan on pursuing in the future and she is excited for us. She is very good at constructive criticism and teaches us that design is a creative process and not a science. She encourages us to look at each others work and i am always excited for the class. Classes like International relations feel like it's more learning for the sake of learning, but it's also things that apply to real life which is interesting.

I don't think any student would feel out of place at UF. There is seriously a group for everyone. I took my freshman year to really look at the campus and figre ut where i fit in. I joined a variety of clubs but it wasn't until I joined a sorority the fall of my sophomore year that i felt like i really git in. I am in a house with girls with similar interests and i am inspired everyday to better myself through academics, campus involvement, and service. I think GreekLife is really big on campus. After seeing how involved greek organizations were on campus i really wanted to join. I would see girls with their letters together and it looked like such a great support system. College life can get hard sometimes and its great to have sisters to lean on. I am really happy i decided to go greek. Greek Life isn't for everyone though and there are plenty of people that decide not to join. I live in an off campus apartment and both of my roommates are not greek. They are both busy doing their own thing though and are very happy. One of them has a job at an after school day care and the other volunteers for Rock104.3 There is really something for everyone at UF. No matter what your interest. You can find a group for just about anything on the reitz union website. I have enjoyed two leisure classes so far. They are an AWESOME opportunity to learn a new skill and meet some new people. I took pottery wheel and beginning guitar. It doesn't take up too much time or money, and it feels great at the end to see you have learned something new! You aren't graded or anything so it is really a nice break from regular classes. My freshman year i was in Springs Complex which was mostly athletes. I am not an athlete but it was cool getting to meet the girls on the swim team and see popular foot ball players. The dorm was not as social as some of my other friends dorms. In broward when they get home after going out they'll usually go down to the common room and order pizza.

Chris

Best thing - The opportunities!!! They are absolutely endless. Even as a freshman pre-med, you can volunteer in the ER at the research hospital, Shands, on campus, shadow surgeons, or assist in medical research. As you get older, the opportunities just get more and more amazing. One thing I'd change - parking on campus SUCKS!! Size - We are definetely a huge school but it gives us a huge variety of people. I love the diversity the size brings to the school. Plus, anything you could possibly be into.. there are at least 50 other people here who love it too. You can without a doubt find groups that fit every interest you have. Peoples response - when I tell people I go to UF I always get a good response. Even from rival fans.. no matter what their affiliation, they know I had to work my butt off to get here and that it's a really great school. College town - DEFINETELY a college town. I LOVE it. Everyone here and everything here is in support of the gators. Your first gameday is an experience.. it's like you have a gigantic family, every person within a 20 mile radius, you have a bond that brings you together. School pride - you've never seen anything like it. Die-hard fans" is the biggest understatement ever.

Diverse groups - we have very vocal groups but it has never really gotten out of hand. We have heated debates about issues and many groups bring in controversial speakers. Dr. Kevorkian came and spoke during the fall semester which, as most know, is a huge moral and religious issue. Out of place - there is no major group on campus. We have the greeks, the med students, activists, the art kids, band, feminists, sidewalk preachers, EVERYTHING. Any person would fit in here. Wear to class - I've seen everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Pajamas, sundresses, sperrys and lacoste, one kid even showed up to my chem class wearing a full-blown storm trooper costume. You see a ton of gator shirts and jeans I would say is the basic attire. Be forwarned.. guys, do NOT be caught wearing jorts. Jean shorts have been burned during fraternity rush. Just don't do it. Where the students are from - the majority of the people are from south florida. There are plenty of other people too though. I'm from a tiny town with one stoplight.. and I know plenty of international students and from all over the country. Politically aware - Definetely. Almost everyone here has strong convictions on politics. Even our student government elections get heated with opposing parties mudslinging. The frats and sororitys here are almost forced to vote. They WILL bitch you if you don't. and they are just expected to vote for the "gator party". It's pretty much a dictatorship that no one but the greeks can get into.

Professors - don't know your name unless you are at their office hours all the time. The classes here are typically huge. Most of mine have 200-700 people. Study - you will work hard if you are here. I study on average a good 20 hours outside of class a week. And I am about average, plenty of people hold up in the library for ridiculous hours. Intellectual conversation - People have strong convictions at UF. Politics, religion, and many other topics are typically overheard in the dining halls. Given, so are talks of thursday night at "Whiskey Room".

There are a couple people who act that way that give us a bad image, but most of us don't. We love our school and I definetely think it's the best in the state, but I would never talk down to someone. I have a ton of friends that go to other universities in the state and I love them just the same =)

That we're stuck up and think we're better than everyone else.

organizations - cicerones is one of the most sought after groups to be in. The ambassadors for florida who are known to be the most friendly people you will ever meet and they are soooo easy to talk to. They are every future leaders examples. Most of the time the cicerones are the people who if you've only talked to them once, you feel like they are your best friend. Most people want to be in this organization because the people they look up to the most are dedicated members. Athletic events - "The Swamp" on gamedays is probably going to be declared the 8th wonder of the world. I live about 5 miles away from campus and it would be easier for me to walk from my apartment to the stadium then to try and find somewhere to park at the school. People start off the day around 7am with "kegs and eggs" tailgating. Every square foot of the school is covered with gator fans. With a title and Tebow, what would you expect?

I love being a Florida Gator! The school is awesome and it's great living in a college town.

UF is a very diverse campus. I don't think any student should feel out of place at UF because I think every group is pretty much represented. The financial backgrounds most prevalent are middle class and upper class. A lot of students are politically active, a lot sway either way-right or left.

Drinking school, nerds, smart kids, football school

Greek organizations are definitely the most popular on campus. Football games are the most popular events by far. The dating scene at UF seems non-existent. Everyone hooks up or already has a significant other. If I am awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday, I'm either watching tv, talking to my boyfriend on the phone, playing on facebook, or doing homework. People party a lot! I think sororities and fraternities are good organizations as long as you don't get too caught up in all the bullshit/if you can handle all the bull shit. I can go to a play, go out to dinner with friends, watch a movie on a Saturday night without drinking.

I have had some awesome professors at UF, a lot of which with I have formed personal relationships. I have learned so much at UF.

Jackie

The best thing about UF is the location of campus and downtown in relation to the city. Everything is close knit and I like that. One thing I would change is possibly adding more classes that focus on hands on work experience and less on getting A's. My school is just right, although there are many classes with hundreds of people, there are also ones with 15 or less. When I tell someone I go to UF they smile and nod - apparently the Gators are well known in Florida. On campus I spend a lot of time in the Weimer library and at the Hub on my computer. It is certainly a college town. The administration at UF is sometimes unfriendly, but at least I get to register for classes. A controversy on campus was over which student government party should be elected. UF has immense school pride - Everywhere you turn there are posters showing the university and businesses always cater to that. The one thing I find unusual about UF is the fact that we have E instead of F for a failing grade. I will always remember my experience the summer of 2007 studying abroad in Berlin for photojournalism - LOVED it.

UF is actually very diverse - Students wear all sorts of things from sports wear to sweats to jeans and shirts to just professional work clothes. I even see older adults on campus who are going back to school for their degree now. Many students come to UF on Bright Futures and are from Florida. Sometimes they even have prepaid so they are well off financially. I see politically, students are divided up evenly between conservative and liberal. And YES everyone is always talking about how much money they will make.

Ok, UF is a wonderful school with many opportunities - BUT I do feel like some of the policies are pretentious like the E grades and also, making certain events open only to specific groups. If a business class holds a study abroad session and I want to go and learn about it, I think I should be able to. But that is just me ranting.

RUB and ACCENT are very popular on campus. I am involved with the photography club, Exposure, and relatively new so I noticed the group has not gained much "exposure" yet. UF has guest speakers often. Dr. Kevorkian came in January and John Kerry came in the Fall. I go to the theatre often, we have a few of them. I met my closest friends in class, but dating wise I meet people by going downtown to the clubs. I live off campus and have a car so I can do a lot on the weekends. Go to a friend's house, see a movie, eat out with someone and every year there are things like art festivals and medieval fair and even downtown I have fun though I do not drink.

I do not think UF students are stuck up, but I do think we have lots of anxiety about grades. I think it is for good reason, since we are trying to be as ready for the professional world as possible at graduation time.

Only a couple of my professors know my name. My favorite class right now is Ori2000 Interpretation of Literature. I get to act in it and portray characters that help me become a better speaker. My least favorite is Microeconomics Eco2023. It is wayyy to big and I don't understand how it can help me in journalism. Class participation is common among smaller classes. My major, photojournalism, is really challenging. I do however try to get my professors mentor me outside of class so I can get better at it. I feel that UF education is geared for learning and less for getting a job. The requirements for my major sometimes have nothing to do with journalism and I am sometimes afraid I won't graduate on time.

That UF students are stuck up. That UF students have more anxiety because of academic policies set forth.

Angela

Football - How hard it is to change a major - just right - they think it's a great school - the library - college town - administration sucks - dont tase me bro - yes - i guess, like the underwear dash - winning the national championships in bball and football - that the administration doesnt care about the students

this campus is generally open to these groups - idk, one that doesnt get involved in anything - jeans and a shirt - yes - greeks, engineers, freshmen, and a group of anti-greeks

sororities and fraternities, bball, football - sorority - no - very popular - it's hard to date here - some online, some in greek life, some through other friends - talking online or drinking - homecoming - all the time - important - drank too much - see movies, hang with friends, go bowling - i live off campus, so almost everything

yes - history classes are fun but hard. spanish classes are horrible here - students study enough to get by - sometimes - yes - yes - my women's sexuality course - i hate my major/departmetn it's really disorganized - no - some are ridiculous - both, depending on the major

Drink all the time, have sex all the time, stuck up, smart

ali

U.F. is like a great big family. I think it is just the right size. People are impressed when I tell them that I go to UF because it is a hard school to get into. I don't spend much time on campus. Yes, it is a college town. There is a ridiculous amount of school pride, it's great!

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at U.F. Many different types of students interact.

Professors in some classes know my name. My favorite class is my acting class. Students study a lot! Class participation is a huge part of most courses.

Caitlen

The Plaza of Americas is amazing. Just go and watch the people in there. It will truely show you why you want to be at a bigger University. It is part of the experience.

No, not at all. Most of my professors learn my name within the first few weeks. You have to introduce yourself and speak up in class but if you do that there is no way they won't know your name over the 5 mon. semester. Yes it is true that some classes are huge but you just need to do your research and find the classes that fit your comfort level. History is a great major to have smaller classes.

It is so big no professor will know your name.

Students at the University seem to be a little seperated in terms of Greek and nongreek. It is ok for the most part and being Greek I absolutly love my soriority. I believe it is something worth experiencing but I know it isn't for everyone. People just need to keep in mind that is doesn't make you better or worst than the next person. The problem I encounter the most is that people who are non-Greek believe people who are party all the time. I dont like to party until wee hours of the morning and I like to have fun but I don't drink. My favorite activites are off-roading and going to the movies. Just remeber to always keep an open mind and dont lump people together into one group.

Some of the professors are horrible. They are under developed professionaly and therefore have a hard time teaching properly. However, some of them are amazing. You have to do your research and ask around to find out which professors know what they are doing.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.