Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

I love being a Florida Gator! The school is awesome and it's great living in a college town.

UF is a very diverse campus. I don't think any student should feel out of place at UF because I think every group is pretty much represented. The financial backgrounds most prevalent are middle class and upper class. A lot of students are politically active, a lot sway either way-right or left.

Drinking school, nerds, smart kids, football school

Greek organizations are definitely the most popular on campus. Football games are the most popular events by far. The dating scene at UF seems non-existent. Everyone hooks up or already has a significant other. If I am awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday, I'm either watching tv, talking to my boyfriend on the phone, playing on facebook, or doing homework. People party a lot! I think sororities and fraternities are good organizations as long as you don't get too caught up in all the bullshit/if you can handle all the bull shit. I can go to a play, go out to dinner with friends, watch a movie on a Saturday night without drinking.

I have had some awesome professors at UF, a lot of which with I have formed personal relationships. I have learned so much at UF.

Jackie

The best thing about UF is the location of campus and downtown in relation to the city. Everything is close knit and I like that. One thing I would change is possibly adding more classes that focus on hands on work experience and less on getting A's. My school is just right, although there are many classes with hundreds of people, there are also ones with 15 or less. When I tell someone I go to UF they smile and nod - apparently the Gators are well known in Florida. On campus I spend a lot of time in the Weimer library and at the Hub on my computer. It is certainly a college town. The administration at UF is sometimes unfriendly, but at least I get to register for classes. A controversy on campus was over which student government party should be elected. UF has immense school pride - Everywhere you turn there are posters showing the university and businesses always cater to that. The one thing I find unusual about UF is the fact that we have E instead of F for a failing grade. I will always remember my experience the summer of 2007 studying abroad in Berlin for photojournalism - LOVED it.

UF is actually very diverse - Students wear all sorts of things from sports wear to sweats to jeans and shirts to just professional work clothes. I even see older adults on campus who are going back to school for their degree now. Many students come to UF on Bright Futures and are from Florida. Sometimes they even have prepaid so they are well off financially. I see politically, students are divided up evenly between conservative and liberal. And YES everyone is always talking about how much money they will make.

Ok, UF is a wonderful school with many opportunities - BUT I do feel like some of the policies are pretentious like the E grades and also, making certain events open only to specific groups. If a business class holds a study abroad session and I want to go and learn about it, I think I should be able to. But that is just me ranting.

RUB and ACCENT are very popular on campus. I am involved with the photography club, Exposure, and relatively new so I noticed the group has not gained much "exposure" yet. UF has guest speakers often. Dr. Kevorkian came in January and John Kerry came in the Fall. I go to the theatre often, we have a few of them. I met my closest friends in class, but dating wise I meet people by going downtown to the clubs. I live off campus and have a car so I can do a lot on the weekends. Go to a friend's house, see a movie, eat out with someone and every year there are things like art festivals and medieval fair and even downtown I have fun though I do not drink.

I do not think UF students are stuck up, but I do think we have lots of anxiety about grades. I think it is for good reason, since we are trying to be as ready for the professional world as possible at graduation time.

Only a couple of my professors know my name. My favorite class right now is Ori2000 Interpretation of Literature. I get to act in it and portray characters that help me become a better speaker. My least favorite is Microeconomics Eco2023. It is wayyy to big and I don't understand how it can help me in journalism. Class participation is common among smaller classes. My major, photojournalism, is really challenging. I do however try to get my professors mentor me outside of class so I can get better at it. I feel that UF education is geared for learning and less for getting a job. The requirements for my major sometimes have nothing to do with journalism and I am sometimes afraid I won't graduate on time.

That UF students are stuck up. That UF students have more anxiety because of academic policies set forth.

Angela

Football - How hard it is to change a major - just right - they think it's a great school - the library - college town - administration sucks - dont tase me bro - yes - i guess, like the underwear dash - winning the national championships in bball and football - that the administration doesnt care about the students

this campus is generally open to these groups - idk, one that doesnt get involved in anything - jeans and a shirt - yes - greeks, engineers, freshmen, and a group of anti-greeks

sororities and fraternities, bball, football - sorority - no - very popular - it's hard to date here - some online, some in greek life, some through other friends - talking online or drinking - homecoming - all the time - important - drank too much - see movies, hang with friends, go bowling - i live off campus, so almost everything

yes - history classes are fun but hard. spanish classes are horrible here - students study enough to get by - sometimes - yes - yes - my women's sexuality course - i hate my major/departmetn it's really disorganized - no - some are ridiculous - both, depending on the major

Drink all the time, have sex all the time, stuck up, smart

ali

U.F. is like a great big family. I think it is just the right size. People are impressed when I tell them that I go to UF because it is a hard school to get into. I don't spend much time on campus. Yes, it is a college town. There is a ridiculous amount of school pride, it's great!

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at U.F. Many different types of students interact.

Professors in some classes know my name. My favorite class is my acting class. Students study a lot! Class participation is a huge part of most courses.

Caitlen

The Plaza of Americas is amazing. Just go and watch the people in there. It will truely show you why you want to be at a bigger University. It is part of the experience.

No, not at all. Most of my professors learn my name within the first few weeks. You have to introduce yourself and speak up in class but if you do that there is no way they won't know your name over the 5 mon. semester. Yes it is true that some classes are huge but you just need to do your research and find the classes that fit your comfort level. History is a great major to have smaller classes.

It is so big no professor will know your name.

Students at the University seem to be a little seperated in terms of Greek and nongreek. It is ok for the most part and being Greek I absolutly love my soriority. I believe it is something worth experiencing but I know it isn't for everyone. People just need to keep in mind that is doesn't make you better or worst than the next person. The problem I encounter the most is that people who are non-Greek believe people who are party all the time. I dont like to party until wee hours of the morning and I like to have fun but I don't drink. My favorite activites are off-roading and going to the movies. Just remeber to always keep an open mind and dont lump people together into one group.

Some of the professors are horrible. They are under developed professionaly and therefore have a hard time teaching properly. However, some of them are amazing. You have to do your research and ask around to find out which professors know what they are doing.

Monica

The best thing about UF is the campus! It is absolutley beautiful!! At first it seems way too big. like you'll be carrying around your map for the rest of your life, but you learn the campus pretty quick (and discover shortcuts!) Of course our athletics are of the wall!! There is nothing like gameday in the perfect college town! Campus is packed with orange and blue Saturdays in the fall. The energy is perfect, i have never seen anything like it. The Swamp (the football field) is electric once that game starts. It echos and vibrates with the voices of crazy fans, students and non-students alike come together to pump up the gators. The school pride is so apparent the second you even get near campus. Students are decked in school colors everyday of the week! That is by far the best part of being a part of what is truley the gator nation. On campus, besides my residence hall, I spend most of my time in or around the Hub. It's a food court/study center where alot of people and athletes go to eat and hang out inbetween campus. When i tell people I go to UF they are awed. They treat me with the utmost respect and usually ask how many times I see Tim Tebow (no lie!). It is defineatley a very respect universtiy all around the country.

I don't think any student will feel out of place at UF unless they are socially awkward. The best thing is to not take students too seriously, alot of people are very very nice, and alot of people are very very sarcastic. Diffrent students definately do interact. Most students dress pretty casuallly to class. Sweatpants, jeans, t-shirts. Nothing too fancy. There is pleanty of places to go to dress up in the night time. There are alot of wealthy people that go to UF. Most of the student in the dining halls are freshmen or sophomores. Upperclassmen except athlets don't really eat in the dining halls because they don't live on campus. Studetns are very politically aware but don't really talk about it unless it's near election time.

Athletic event are the most popular things on campus. The energy just completly changes when its a game day. SO MUCH FUN! I'm in an area government for my dorm and i hate it. They take the most random ridiculous things so seriously and it's not worth the time. If your into politics, join student government. If you were in student government in high school and are looking for something similar to do in college but didn't relly take HS too seriously, DO NOT DO AN AREA GOVERNMENT! It's crap. i met my closest friends in my dorm. I think all first year students shoul live in the dorm. There is nothing like dorm life. It's awesome!!!! That is for sure worth it.Greek life is pretty important. Better are your chances to stay involve and get more positions on campus if you are greek. You can def. live without it if it's not your thing but if you want to do it, do it. If your unsure it's also worth it to get a feel of college life without that added strees/excitement too see if you really want to do it. Not something to jump into if your unsure.

Professors do not know my name but TA's do. It all depends on the student's effort though. If you make an effort to get the professor to know your name, they most likely will. Show up to class, sit in the front, go to office hours. My favorite class at UF so far is American History with Dr. Morser. He is hands down the best professor I've had. He is so passionate about the subject he teaches that he makes you interested in his lecture and we all know american history is not the most captivating subject! Students are very competeitve but in a sneaky way so you have to watch out. UF students do have intellectual conversations outside of class especially around Turlington, thats where most of the political campaigns take place and it's very open free speech there. They don't always talk aboout intellectual things though. My major (public relations) is in the college of journalism and communications. They are always willing to help you and never too busy for any student. Its a very hopping building and clos to the union. The advisors are always emailing their students with scholorship,internship, and club information.

Very smart, yes. Boring? Sometimes.

Mary

Personally, the major downside of UF was its size. I've always gone to a small school, so coming to UF was a big transition for me. But UF provides LOTS of opportunities for students to get involved and meet people. I spend most of my time on campus at library west or marston science library for sure. UF's administration is definitely amazing. The fact that they can keep all these students straight, and keep on top of things is unbelievable. The most recent controversy on campus was the tasering of a student at the John Kerry speech. The one thing I think UF is most known for is their pride. The gator nation is everywhere, right? I'll never forget how my first year here we won two national championships- that will always be unforgettable to me.

One of the reasons i like Uf so much is the variety of people on campus. You can always find someone like you, or even just meet other types of people. I think. I honestly don't think anyone can feel left out here. There is SO much variety in what people wear, ive seen everything from pajamas to professional work outfits. Different types of students interact when they are in class or if they are in a certain organization, but i dont think they interact much outside of those two times. most students are from the greater miami area or orlando.

Big party school, but the students are definitely committed to their school work- so i guess party hard, and work hard

you guys pretty much covered it all!

Professors don't know my name, but the TA's do. I really like Marketing, my least favorite class right now is anthropology. Students study ALOT here. Class participation is really big here. Students sometimes have intellectual conversations outside of class, probably most of the time in the library when they are studying with others though.

yes, somewhat. I definitely realized that not as many people party as i thought. And a lot of them work harder than i thought also.

Greek life is definitely most popular. I'm involved in the Springs Area government. We host events for the residents and try to get them to know one another. Students in my dorm left their doors open. Athletic events are VERy popular, as well as guest speakers. I dont think theater is AS popular. I met my closest friends on my floor in my dorm last year. If im awake at 2am on a tues, im doing homework. (or procrastinating)One downside of Uf is how prevalent greek life is. Sometimes i feel like since I'm not in a sorority im missing out. But i know its not for me, and i still feel pressured to be in one. That kind of bothers me, cause they are everywhere. For a saturday night with no drinking, you can go out to dinner, go to the movies, local bands play downtown, sometimes there are plays, camping, lots of things!

Andy

In my opionion, I feel that UF is too big for my liking. Gainesville definite College town. There is ALOT of school pride associated with UF.

Students that feel out of place at UF are those that come in without many friends and that do not like the party scene. In my experiences, I have felt that it is very hard to meet people I would consider close friends because I don't enjoy going out and partying. In 50,000 people it is very hard to meet friends if you are not outgoing. Most students at UF are from Florida. The financial backgournd, atleast form my experiences, seems be most are from upper middle class, and what you would call somewhat spoiled. Students at UF seem to be predominantly left.

UF is definitely not school for someone who considers themselves to be an introvert. I have found it extremely difficult to enjoy the college atmosphere here because of the huge amount of people and having very few good friends.

I believe that this stereotype is true to a point. People are not completely rude and ignore you, but I notice that most do seem a little aprehensive about helping other students that they feel are their competition.

Professors associated with my major know my name. My favorite class is reproductive physiology. My least favorite class is physics. Students are extremely competitive. My major is animal sciences, and I think it is a very comfortable atmosphere. Most are very friendly and encouraging. I feel that the education is geared toward learning, but that can sometimes be a disadvantage because teachers sometimes act as though their class should be your most important class, and make it very hard to do well in their class and your other classes.

I am a pre-professional student, so as far as stereotypes for pre-med, phar, dental, vet students I feel that the stereotype is that they are extremely conpetitive, to the point of not wanting to help peers when they have questions in subjecs like organic chemistry, biology, and physics.

The most popular organizations are campus are Greek. Doors in dorms lock automatically and require a identification key card to get in the building. Homecoming and Gator Growl are big traditions. Sports are a huge deal here, with all basketball and football games being sold out. On Tuesday at 2 am, I would probably be studying, but that is not th norm. I would say partying would be the number 1 answer. In my apartment complex, people literally party from Tuesday night to Sunday night like clockwork.

Andy

The best thing about UF is our spirit and Gainesville gives you the true college experience. It is a small town but big enough to have a good time. However, coming from Miami, Gainesville gets a really boring after not being home for a while. I've had many memorable times at UF but the one that sticks out is Halloween of freshman year. I got really wasted and I wondered around town aimlessly. They later told me I was surrounded by 3 cop cars and I was calling people telling them to pick me up in places that don't exist. What's amazing about that night is that I did not get ran over by a car or arrested.

We have a diverse campus. There is a fairly large minority population at UF but the university is still predominantly white. And the kids that come from small towns around central and north Florida tend to be republicans, who like to go hunting and have big trucks. That's all cool but it's not my crowd. Most of my friends and I share similar backgrounds. However, that is not to say people are racist or discriminatory, most people are friendly no matter your race or religion. As far as political activism, its no Berkley but a lot of students are politically involved and you see a lot of interesting groups like Hare Krishna.

The sports stereotype is definitely true and we are damm proud of it. And about being stuck up, it is not true we are just a very spirited campus and we have a lot to be proud of. And yeah we are a party school!..but for the most part all of my friends and I know how to set time aside for school work.

UF has a lot of smart kids but we are a large university so you'll occasionally meet someone missing a couple of neurons. I'm glad I chose to be in the college of journalism and communications. It's a great program that gears you toward gaining real life experience and do actual work. They teach you the theory and concepts but make you apply it, which is essential for any communications major.

I think like in most colleges the most popular organizations are the fraternities and sororities. I'm not part of any fraternities but I'm involved with Newsies and CARES. Newsies publishes articles about on-campus events and things students are interested in. CARES is a group that fund raises for cancer research. Currently, we are busy in setting our 2nd annual 5k run in April. I'm awake at 2 a.m. most nights either hanging out with my roomates, playing ps3, or strumming my guitar. Every year UF holds Gator Growl, the largest student run pep rally in the world. Last year we had Frank Caliendo and Lynyrd Skynyrd. It is held homecoming weekend on Oct. every year.

All I've heard is positive stereotypes. For example, we are known as a football school, which is true. Everyone at UF loves the football program as well as the rest of the sports. But football is by far the biggest deal. Tickets are always sold out and for rivalry games tickets can get expensive. As far as the student body, the only people that hate are prom rivalry schools. Sometimes they'll call UF students stuck up or what not. Also, another stereotype is that we are a big party school.

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.