Gainesville, FL
University of Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Florida

Angie

The best thing about UF is the school spirit. I would changing the person who's in charge of the school's finances. It's the perfect size. People either say they hate UF or they say , "good job, i heard it's really hard to get in now." I spend most of my time at my friend's dorms, my dorm or study areas. UF is definitely a college town. I get the feeling that our administration isn't doing there best with fixing our financial problem, it's odd to think that a school like ours has one in the first place. It's unusual that we are one of the biggest schools in the nation and we only have two pre-med advisors. I haven't had a "one experience I'll always remember," yet. Most frequent complaints would include the parking situation and that one of our two pre-health/med advisors is a complete jerk.

Sometimes I feel like some of the racial groups are racist themselves. They are constantly commenting on the difference between their race and other races, which is only inhibiting any forward motion towards a more accepting community. I haven't had an encounter with any other groups that I've had a negative feeling towards. I definitely think different types of students interact because of how involved most UF students seems to be. Most UF students are from Florida, but I wouldn't say any specific part. I don't know if there is one financial background that is most prevalent. I think students try to be politically aware and active, but I wouldn't say that there is a huge effort being made. I don't have discussions with other students about politics so I wouldn't know. Yes, students talk about how much they hope to earn and how much they expect to earn.

UF students are smart and we have a good athletics program.

The most popular organization is SAA, and the most popular teams are the athletic teams, like basketball and football. I'm involved with Ocean Aware, and it's fairly new, but its main goal is to tell other people about ocean awareness and raise money for ocean awareness. Some students in the dorms leave their dorms open. Athletic events are very popular. Guest speakers are very popular as well. I wouldn't say there is much of a dating scene. Most people meet at parties and many don't want a serious relationship because it's their first year of college. I met my closest friends during Summer B session. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I'm probably at a fraternity. Homecoming happens each year, and I'm sure there are many other things that I'm oblivious to. People party very often. I decided not to rush this past fall, which I feel was a mistake, so I've decided to rush for sure this fall, and many of my friends are in fraternities and sororities so I would say it will be important. I want to a fraternity last weekend. You can go to a movie or out to eat, but you can still go to a party without drinking. When I'm off campus I go shopping, out to eat, the grocery store or go to Jacksonville for the weekend.

Some professors know my name. One of my favorites is human sexuality. My least favorites would be calc and pre-calc from last semester because I don't think the lectures are helpful or that the help is adequate. Class participation is not common. Yes, UF students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Yes, students are very competitive. The most unique class I've taken is human sexuality. My major is microbiology and I switched to the liberal arts department and the advisors have been great. No, I do not spend time with professors outside of class. The academic requirements are fine. I hope it's geared toward getting a job, but I'm only a freshman so I think that I'll find that out later on.

We NEED more pre-health advisors!!!! And I think people need to be less racist, especially the racial organizations.

court

The best thing about UF is that were amazing & win everything! Everyone knows about the GATORS! Its a perfect size, & when I tell people I go to UF they are very jealous.

No one would feel out of place, there's so many people, anyone can find friends.

Professors don't know my name, but classes aren't too hard.

Sporting events, especially football games are huge! I met my closest friends through my sorority, and sororities & fraternities are huge & very important!

Nikki

UFL has given me the best freshman year anyone could ever ask for with my sorority. How our campus is boring with out greek life. Our school is fairly large. People congratulate me when I tell them I go to UF. I spend most of my time in my sorority house. College Town. UFs administration is good. There is a ton of school pride.

Students are so diverse here that you cannot pinpoint one type of student and what they wear to class. Yes, I interact with people that are so different from myself. Most UFL students are from Florida. The campus as a whole is not politically aware/active.

Party school but smart students.

The most popular groups are fraternities or sororities, gator party, campus crusades, football team, basketball team, cicerones. No people do not leave their doors open. Althletic events,guest speakers and theater are very popular. My closest friends came from my sorority. If I'm awake at 2 am I will be a party or studying. Traditions on our campus would be football game days. People are partying everynight except sunday. Fraternities and sororities dominate and help our campus very much so. Last weekend I studied for all of the tests I had this week and went to one party. Saturday night you can go to the movies, bowling, hang out with friends, or study. I grocery shop off campus or shop.

No professors do not know my name. My favorite class is anatomy lab, because it is hands on and the TA knows our name. I study all the time. Class participation is not common in many of my classes. Yes, I have had intellectual conversations. Students are very competitive. my most unique class has to be history of jazz. Occuptational therapy/ health science department. I have never seen a professor outside of class. UF's academic requirements are perfectly fine the way they are.

Audrey

The best thing here really is the whole gator nation feeling. It really does feel somewhat like a family, you you are part of something greater than yourself.

As with any college campus, especially in the south, there is noticeably a difference between people in the greek community and non greek students. It doesn't make anything awkward, but it is just a noticeable difference.

As, a freshman I do not really know many of my professors but I can tell you that most of my classes are really hard and tie consuming and can pit you in the ass if you don't stay up with them.

I have heard the jean shorts comment more than I can bare, and it really is not true. It's just annoying. Also, that we have recently become the "nerdy" school in Florida which I can see happening.

Sinead

The best thing about UF is the people. I would change the parking situation. Before I came, I thought it would be too big but now that I am here, it is just right! People are jealous when they hear I go to UF, obviously. Most of my time is spent in Jennings Hall. College town all the way! I haven't interacted with the administration so I don't know. Tasing situation. There is LOTS of school pride! UF is unique! Summer B is one experience that I will remember forever, best six weeks of my life! Parking is the only complaint I have heard.

There are all types! No student would feel out of place. Students normally wear shorts and a shirt. Yes all different types interact. I don't eat at the dining hall. Students are mostly from florida. Probably middle class. Students are VERY politically aware/active! I don't know which way they are predominantly. Yes.

UF IS AMAZING AND I WOULDN"T GO ANYWHERE ELSE! GOOOO GATORSSS!!!

Some professors know my name. My favorite class is a random education class I am taking, it's really interesting! Least favorite was general psychology. Students study habits change frequently due to the classes they are taking and the tests they have. Yes class participation is common. Yes they have intellectual conversations outside the classroom. Students are very competitive. History of American Education. My major is psychology. No I don't spend time with professors out of the classroom. The academic requirements are fine. It's geared toward both.

Greek life, intramurals and fun clubs. I am in a sorority and I love it! Yes some students leave their doors open. Athletic events are EXTREMELY popular, go gators! Probably hanging out with friends in a dorm. Gator Growl, football games, homecoming week, etc. People party very often. Pretty important. I did a service project and my best friend was visiting from home so we went out. You can go anywhere and not drink! I shop, eat, play off campus.

Great athletics and smart students!

I've heard people from FSU and UGA say we all wear JORTS... Also, I hear that the girls are ugly and that we have a lot of Asian's (because they are really smart).

Let's be honest, I've seen more jean shorts in their "southern" towns than I ever have here. Also, I know a lot of very gorgeous girls at UF, so that's a liiiiiie! And there are a lot of students with Asian backgrounds, but there are also a lot of other ethnicities and that is what enhances UF. We are not cookie cutter. I didn't go to Auburn because I wanted diversity in my college experience and that is what UF is all about!

UF is so diverse. I didn't answer any of the questions above because there is no one classification. Everyone is different and everyone has their own niche at UF. That is one aspect I love about UF! :)

Jamie

A big, always fun, drunken oasis

A big, always fun, drunken oasis

if you think you partied a lot in high school...come to UF

Some classes/tracks are harder than others

Lindsey

The best thing about UFL is that it is a large school but there are so many ways to make it smaller. I joined a sorority and fell in love with it. I also have become involved in clubs and church! I spend most of my time on campus at the sorority house..and unfortunately the library :/. There is a ton of school pride and I will never forget my first year of gator football games! When we lost to LSU and our some of the fans were crying..that really shows true spirit. Most frequent student complaints probably deal with terrible parking and gainesville traffic. YUCK! All in all, it's a great experience.

You can get involved in basically anything! There are step teams, any religious groups, and etc. No one will feel out of place. People wear anything from sweats and t-shirts to class to cute tanks and possibly heels if youre daring. Students always interact..I've never been exposed to so many different groups! I feel like most students are politically right, but maybe that is just because that is who I hang out with. We are definitely politically active and be sure to get out as many votes as possible for various things such as Student Government and the upcoming 2008 elections.

People will party as often as they wish. Life is not revolved around drinking, you can go to the movies, eat out, go to sporting events, etc! If I am awake on Tuesday at 2am...I am either visiting a friends dorm, at the sorority house, or just coming out of Midtown's hopping clubs! Off campus I love to go shopping and hang out with friends.

Depending on the class size, it is definitely possible to have your teacher know your name. Students do have to study quite often but that is how college life is no matter where you go. Class participation is common in the smaller classes. My major is Nursing so the science classes are quite large but I do have small classes where I became close with the teacher. UF is most deifnitely geared toward teaching us and furthering our knowledge as best as possible.

Not at all. Ive seen maybe one person wear jorts and they were alumni! Not everyone is brilliant, and we definitely can have fun-with friends, gator sports, extracurricular activities, midtown, downtown, and SWAMP! The dorms are alright..not going to lie. And it never smells gross-that's just the rumors that FSU kids like to spread!

That we are all "nerds", everyone walks around in "jorts" or gator crocs, everyone is a genious, we dont know how to have fun, the dorms are nasty, it smells like a swamp, etc.

michelle

the best thing about ufl are the football and basketball games, and the parties! i would change the amount of flyers/trash on campus. my school is just the right size. when i tell people that i go to ufl, they appear to be proud and appreciative that i am a gator! i spend most of my time in my dorm, at the HUB, at the gym, or at library west. total college town. ufl's administration is good. the biggest recent controversy was the andrew meyer tasering, dr. kervorkian's visit, and the miss uf competition. there is SO much school pride. i will always remember the gators winning the sec championship against ohio last year in football.. everyone flooded university ave screaming and having fun. it was amazing =) the most student complaints i hear are about the preachers at turlington plaza, always discrriminating against homosexuals, women, and people who are not radical right wing conservatives.

racial, religious groups on campus are looked down upon because they preach very one-sided arguments and never willing to look at the other turn of the coin. a very close-minded student would feel out of place at uf - the campus is very liberal. most students wear jeans and a t-shirt to class. very informal. different types of students interact on occasion. most uf students are from florida. middle class backgrounds are most prevalent. most students are politically aware, but not many are active. most are center, but leaning towards the left. students do not talk about how much they will earn one day.

some professors know my name. my favorite class is spanish, and my least favorite class is chemistry. students study very often here. class participation is relatively common, depending on what class it is. at times, uf students have intellectual conversation outside of class, but mostly it is casual. most students are not very competitive. the most unique class i've taken so far is social problems. my major is animal sciences, and the department is very comprehensive and intricate. i do not spend time with my professors outside of class. uf's academic requirements set a veyr high standard for the students who attend. undergrad education so far is geared towards learning for its own sake.

the most popular groups on campus are sorority and fraternity life. i am involved with the inter-residence association, and it is a very residence hall oriented organization focusing on student life on campus. students in most dorms leave their doors open, but not in my dorm. athletic events and guest speakers are very popular, and theater events are moderately popular. the dating scene is very open and active. i met my closest friends through my roommates and networking at parties. people party mostly every week, atleast once. frats and sororities are very important to people who are in them, but not as important to those who arent unless you live with someone who is greek. last weekend, i went to parties at night and studied during the day. on a saturday night you could go to a club, catch a movie, or go out to dinner with friends. off campus, you could go tubing down a spring/river, go skydiving, take a trip to the beach or to disney/orlando.

nerdy, don't know how to have fun.

Niki

The Gator Nation, advising, just right, admirably, reitz, college town, a little stuffy, student government elections, yes, the student body, meeting my freshmen roommate in broward, parking

All very awesome I wish they had more participation, none there is someone else here with your same interests, depends I always dress for success, yes, greek;jocks;girls;boys;, south florida, upper middle class, yes, center, yes

No, golf, calc, depends on teh students ranges from 0 to 20hrs a week, yes, yes, yes, AEE3030, Economics in CLAS, no, not stict enough to get in, learning

Greek Life and Student GOvernment, SGP, yes, very, very, mild, lots of hooking up, broward, facebooking or drunk dialing, gator growl, everynight, very, went out with my friends, movies bowling games lots of things do not need drinking, live life outside of school

University of Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.