Princess Anne, MD
University of Maryland Eastern Shore

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Silver

Its a historically black college, and im a white female; I feel out of place alot, but im just trying to earn my degree despite all the setbacks.

Most of my classmates are sweet, friendly people, although i usually have to make the effort to get them to talk to me and be friends.

I have only had myself to depend on so i really dont think i'd know what kind of advice to give a parent, but i definitely have a few helpful words for any student seeking the right college, and making the most out of the college experience. My advice is simply to start searching EARLY!!! Make sure that if you Know without a doubt that you have every intention of attending college, that you start looking in your sophomore and junior year of high school. Start applying as soon as you can; dont be lazy, just get it done. We're talking about the next four years of your life here. Know how you want to spend it. Sit down and make a list of the sort of school youd be most comfortable in. Last but most certainly not least, apply apply apply for scholarships!!! They are possibly one of the most important things that you need to worry about when getting ready to attend a college. If your parents or family is paying for college apply anyway, it could help them out. And one more thing-Campus tours. After you narrow down your options-check out the schools.

Jasmine

There really is no difference they are just like any other HBCU.

There really is no difference they are just like any other HBCU.

If I had the opportunity to give parents and students advice, I would start by telling parents to let the child make the decision for which college they attend themselves because you can not live this life for them, nor can you attend the college. This is a stepping stone for them to be an adult. Also parents just be encouraging to them it reallyhelps them get through the tough times in college. I know from personal experience it really helps, just knowing my mom was in my corner made me want to try harder. For students, I would basically tell you know your purpose for coming to college before you go, becuase the moment yuo forget you will ending up doing stuff you never thought you would. Set standards and tell yourself you will not settle for less. This is all I have be encouraged!!!! College is what you make it!!!!!!

The best thing about this school is it gave me an opportunity to grow closer with Christ for real. Education is key but its really nothing without him. It really showed me all the things on campus that will lead you on the path of destruction. When I came as a freshman I met up with the wrong people and made bad decisions that may effect me later on down the line. Then I heard about this Christian oragnization and they exposed my dirt and hypocrisy. Now I live for him just because I chose this school over other choices.

Brittainey

Parents should never force their child to attend a university of the parents choice. College can be a difficult time and overwhelming for some students. Im not saying that college should be easy but a student should be comfortable with the decision made for college. Always encourage students to do thier very best, never give up, and dont stress one's self out if school work becomes overwhelming. Lastly, remember to have fun while making good grades and decisions throughout college and learn positive acts froms others, even if negative be optimistic and make it positive.

The worst thing would have to be room deposit season. I feel like the school may give students the run around about dorm room selecction. many students want to be comfortable where they are going to be living and many are not comfortable, although housing is temporary.

The most frustrating thing is financial aid, just bascially wondering how are my parents going to pay for each semester at Maryland Eastern Shore.

Krystal

One unique thing about my school is that it is the first HBCU to ever have a PGA (golf) program. Another unique thing about my school is that we pay for every little thing (even though we pay a recreation fee), but I honestly think all that money goes to the decorating of the exterior campus. You will never see the grass not green and the flowers not in full blossom! Another unique thing is, we have a bowling alley (and team) on campus.

The most important advice I can give is to find a school that fits your needs and not just a school that all your friends or family went to. Fitting your needs means that the school offers your intended major, meets your size requirements, and distance/location reqiurements, etc. Although fitting your needs is vital, it is also important that you realize that no school is going to be completely perfect. This means that you have to be willing to compromise (especially when it comes to having a roommate) and adjust to the new lifestlyle and environment. It also very important not to lose sight of your purpose of going to college. This basically means not to put your social life before you academics. One other important piece of advice is to always ask questions when you do not understand. If you have difficulty in a particular subject, don't be afraid to ask for help or get a tutor. In the end you are the going to be the one who benefits from getting help or the one who suffers if you keep quiet. I am confident that if you take this advice you will succeed!

The nost frustrating thing about my school is between it's rural location and it's the lack of organization! If you need to find out important information such as financial aid, course selection, etc. you have to ask a million people and run to serveral buildings!! Then there is still a chance that you will not get the right answer!! The location is frustrating because you have to travel about 20 minutes to get to almost everywhere and there is not much public transportation.

Brendan

It's Hotel and Restauraunt Management program.

Make sure you want to be in school first and formost, then pick the school that you feel that you fit into as if you were at home!

The Campus is absolutely gourgeous.

The Campus is absolutely gourgeous.

Find a college that fits the needs of the students. Stay away from college recruiters and closer to professors and students. always tour the campus for more than one day. Go early scout the campus on your own without the tour group, then with a guide. Any Student activites that interest , participate in

The lack of communication and unity between the Faculity and administrators. There is a focus on the Professors excellencing in there own research and not that of students. Students them selves are not pushed to do work and look at the University as a social club not a school. This is not in all cases but mostly in that of the upper level professors and admin. Staff of the school tends to be lazy when it comes to assisting students.

Sherria

The university I attend is unique from all the others is that it is a well atmosphere to study on. The students there are fun to hang out with. Classes are a nice size to learn and pay attention to the teachers in. Organization there at the school is good and activities are quite okay too. Other schools I considered are far out and and more money for tuition. Since I am at UMES I have grown to like it there and awaiting my big day to graduate from there. I have grown to know my professors well also.

Advice I have for parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is to find something the student likes. A college that meets their career needs and their best interst. To the parent be aware of where your child wants to go and its not all about your feelings and your choice. The students have a great opportunity to choose what environment they want to work in. The right college is what you make of it while your there.Just making sure you research everything about the schools before you apply is the best thing to do.

tiana

Look around and check out the activities and clubs, where ever you go you want to make sure its where you want to be. As they say college is the best 4 years of your life!

Any one who enjoys bands, football, fraternities, and sororities. UMES does not have a football team, soccer team, swim team or a lacross team. The activities are limited and if you are far away from home you will really be bored on the weekends.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the smell!

University of Maryland Eastern Shore administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.