Princess Anne, MD
University of Maryland Eastern Shore

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Myriah

If I could go back to when I started highschool I would tell myself to just be myself. Though it seems like such an obvious statement, you will be suprised at how much you allow others to change you. It may seem like you need to fit in and be the same as everyone else, highschool is such a small part of your life that you shouldn't worry about what others think. And that while it seems like everyone else in highschool has thing figured out, everyone around you is trying to find their place too. It is only when you allow your own personality to shine through and don't compromise your morals for others that you find yourself truly happy. Also, remember that each person is trying to find out who they are and is facing their own struggles. Therefore, like they taught you back in the daycare days treat others the way you want to be treated, with respect.

Korey

Being young we are capable of making many mistakes. If I could go back in time the first thing I would advise myself to do is to focus on what is important and forget the un-important. College is not as difficult as it is made to be and if you stay focused and work, with God on your side, will succeed. Being young I would become more concerned about things that would eventually work themselves out as time went by. Being older and more mature I can truly say I would also tell myself to forget about the pask and keep my mind on God , future and not be afarid to mature. There were people around me when I was younger that really never served a good purpose, but more of a distration, towards my future or self enrichment. Now wiser I would of definately cut all of those connections. Forfetting about the past woul also be a definite word of advice since going through high school was not such a great experience for me. Only if I knew how musch more there was to life after High school.

DaShawnda

If i could go back in time, i would tell my highschool self to take more time and research colleges and majors. I would definitley tell myself to get prepared to transition between friends because they come and go, the main thing i would tell myself is to focus hard on my course curriculm as a freshman because that marks the base of your classes for the rest of the semester. I would want my senior self to be excited about college but also cautious that everyone doesnt have good intentions and priorities that i have. I would give myself advice on how to network and how to be more hands on with my major and get to know myself more before getting to know others. I would make sure my senior self had all the necessities as far as dorm life. I would definitly tell myself to keep my grades in order because your financial aid depends on and to apply for more scholarships because they help alot.

The Geographic, We are in the middle of nowhere, without a car its hard to get around.

Jermane

If i could go back in time and talk to myself my high school senior year knowing what i know now about college life and making the transition my advice to myself would be. First I would tell myself to use my time more wiser. I would of spent more time trying to get in honor classes and on the honor roll. I wuld of started out filling out my scholarships applications in my freeshmen year instead of waiting until my senior year. Then I would of joined some clubs to enhance my chances of getting into the college that I wanted to attend. I would of joined the key club, math club, spanish club, and FFA instead of playing sports. Last but not least I would of saved up my money that I made working while I was in school instead of spending it on things that I now realized was not that important. Wow, if I could truly go back I would of done things alot different.

When i talk to my friends about my school i brag about all the friendly people that goes to the college and how its not to big and not that small so you kinda meet new people and also know some people also i always brag about our track team because i run track and alot of my friends do also and how we work as a team even tho we kinda a small school compared to some schools

Thalia

The only succesful path is stride through college or university. Try to find a passionate career not something that pays a lot. Going to college is worth it you will find out at the end how easy it was. Dont quit or stop keep moving forward.Apply for a lot of scholorships cause their will be trouble in life and opsticles you will go through and you will need money. I did the mistake of not applying for scholorships and having to work little jobs just to save up and put gas and look for a steady job just to have money to pay for college. Life is very hard and I had no idea reality was like this till it hit me. I have no parents i have to support myself .I am lucky i have a place to live at least. I did everything for school saved all that little money just to pay for my classes and books it was expensive but i will have a career at the end of this and keep moving foward in my studying. Scholorships are easy money all you have to do is apply for it.

Deshondre

To apply for scholarships when I had the chance because college dosen't come free. Also i would have started study habits before cause when your in college it is important to study if you want to acheive good grades and be awarded. College is like being on your own and the sooner you learn it the better, nobody is gonna be there to hold your hand all the time so might as well start while in high school.

I haven't atended the universtity yet but some people have told me that is unorganized but I will just have to see for myself.

There is no one kind of person who should attend a certain school all people should be welcomed and able to go to any school they set there minds and time to.

Namira

the best thing about UMES is the unity between the students. its like a little family there. the worst thing about it is everything else... there is no football team, the greek life consists of only kappas, alphas, & sigmas (no females), the cafe food i wouldn't even feed to a dead billy goat, the facilities are not sanitary, the staff is rude and non-caring, there is no organization and structure with the way things are ran, the party life is DEAD.. the list goes on.

RUN! run as fast as you can. don't look back, don't stop for air, don't ask questions... just run!

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

food, greek life, & parties... they all suck.

What are the most popular classes offered?

criminal justice & hotel restaurant management are probably the top majors at UMES.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

if you stare at a blank wall for 20 mins, look away, & stare back at it for another 20 mins, you 'll get the same affecet as socializing around camups on a daily basis.

What do students complain about most?

the parties... or lack there of.

What's the dating scene like?

well, as long as you don't mind having the same soul-mate as your bestfriend & 20 other females on campus & the possibily of chlamidia, then its absolutely amazing!!!

What's the Greek scene like?

non existant... if your a male you can choose between kappas, alphas, & sigmas. if your a female... you can stroll around in the privacy of your dorm room and fantasize about being whatever your little heart desires.

Tell us about your professors.

majority of them are forign (african & indian) and they can barely speak english... i would suggest you teach yourself if you want to pass... or just become an amazing mind reader.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

NO FOOTBALL TEAM! the boys basketball sucks, girls basketball is okay. girls volleyball & bowling teams are the only teams that bring home trophies.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

lets just put it this way... i'd rather eat a rat terd smothered in cow semen & pig shit, than to eat UMES cafe food.

What are your classes like?

small... usually run for 60 mins, 90 mins, or if you have a lab 3-5 hours.

its nice when looking from the outside... but once you live it & become it, its pretty gross.

Describe a typical weekend.

sitting in you room drinking with friends, trying to figure out what you can possibly do on this dry campus... you will hear allllllllll the time "what's the move?" & the response will be "i was gon ask you the same thing"...... never fails.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

the entire freshman week!!! that was the time of my life & an experience i'll always cherish. DO NOT MISS OUT ON YOUR FRESHMAN ORIANTATION. idk how it is at other schools, but at UMES its definetely a week of awesome-ness!

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

it's something you would have to see & experience to understand.

at UMES they have something called "midnight breakfast" which is always fun. also "midnight madness" which i think they changed to "Hawk Hysteria" also amazing

When you step off campus what do you see?

the country... its a hick-town.

its like a little family

Describe the dorms.

i think i speak for the entire student body when i say that the dorms ar garbage... there is only ONE nice dorm on the entire campus & that is University Terrace (UT) which i was blessed to have gotten :)

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

personality wise?... no. maturity wise?... absolutely... when at UMES or any college for that matter. either 1 or 2 things will happen: you'll fall into non-sense and let it become you, or you'll see the fuckary that has become of others and you'll rise above it. thats what i did.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

you should call home as often as you want to call home... there's not set amount of times. its whatever makes you feel comfortable.

What do people really wear to class?

everyday is a fashion show at UMES ;)

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

freshman year everyone is new and trying to make friends... once you come back for the spring you will begin to see everyone's true colors and thats when you notice that the people who were you bestfriends for life freshman year, will become vague images of your past.

i wish that i was properly informed during my tour about the lack of school spirit and the garbage they serve for food... the food they serve for campus tours is NOT the food you will be eating once admitted. i also wish i was informed about the care, or lack there of, that the staff and university as a whole has. there were signs in the begining (like not answering the phones) that i wish i would have paid more attention to.... if you notice anyting odd in the begining DO NOT ignore it... most likely its a warning.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

my bestfriend at the time was stuck up a boy's behind & this happened to be the only school he had got accepted into so she (dispite all the scholarships she was offered at top universities) decided to follow behind him & she begged me to come along with her, eventually i agreed & i regret every second of it.

academics are okay... some professors care about you & others care about their paycheck. most of them are NOT fluent in english so if you wish to learn anything i would suggest you teach yourself.

if you are looking for fun and a school with a good reputation to follow you, UMES is not the school for you.

the most popular student organizations to join at UMES are Diamonds (the dance team) DMT (the modeling team) Human Ecology Club (fashion) & frats for guys.

that everyone goes here because its cheap. & the students that go here are dumb and ghetto... its known to be a party school. ARE THESE TRUE? yes. they are all true except the partying part. UMES is one of the dryest campuses i've ever been on & should be ashamed to call itself an HBCU.

Oluwaseun

I will advice high school senior to take pre-college courses. These courses, also know as remedial courses help prepare students for college. There wouldn't be the need to start from remedial courses once they are admitted to college. This will help them to concentrate more on college courses, as well as graduate at the stipulated time.

The environment where it is located. My school is located in a city with a distance of almost 10 miles from the next mall.

Krystal

My overall opinion about my school is that it is a great place to attend because it provides you with a family like environment that can help with the transition from high school to college. Also because the university is smaller then others it can allow you to have a better relationship with your professors and peers then you would have at a large university.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decide to come to the University of Maryland Eastern Shore because at the time they had physician assistant as a bachelors major.

The stereotype is that students that come here are not serious about their educations and that it is more of a party school then a academic school. This stereotype is not true, University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a place that has great majors and programs so that you can excel here and graduate.

University of Maryland Eastern Shore administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.