Princess Anne, MD
University of Maryland Eastern Shore

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland Eastern Shore

The Best thing about UMES is the classes where you can have 1 on 1 interaction with teachers and friendly staff. One thing Id change is find some type of fund to build a football team. It's just right. Oh, Nice are you going to graduate from their or transfer because of all the stereotypes that goes on but once I explain to them about my campus they encourage me. Most of my time I spend on campus is in the Honors department library helping out or my department. It's defiantly college town because Salisbury University of near by too. The school administration is working hard to improve the school much more. They just recently opened a pharmacy school which a lot of people are coming. There had not been any controversy on this campus. There is a lot of Hawk Pride, every where you go people are wearing maroon. There is nothing unusual. I am a member of the Business Student Board and Honors Student Board so we hold fun activities. I also attended the Thur good Marshall in New York representing my school which was very fun. The only complaint is that we don't have funds for Football team.

Yes our professors know each students by names. All my classes are my favorites, Don't have any least favorite. Pretty often, Yes class participation is very common. Yes our students are very intellectual and there are conversation being held outside. Students are very competitive. student centered and highly supportive learning environment where our students benefit from a uniquely intimate setting supported by a student to faculty ratio of 14 to Our departments prepare the curriculum very well so all the classes are very unique and fun, My major is Business Administration with the concentration in Marketing.. It is AACSB accredited.

The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a university under the Maryland university systems. It is one of the top 25 historically black universities . Since its African American schools people that attend other colleges thinks we don't learn as much and there is no type of competition with the students because everyone is a gang bang or students that can't compete with the elite school. It is not true at all. I gave up schools like UMBC and Penn State to attend UMES because of the 1on 1 interaction I have with my professors. Friendly and beautiful campus that we have. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you reach your dream. Class are very competitive and all my classmates have the hunger for success..

isis
Why did you decide to go to this school?

As an international student, I applied to this school after getting good reviews about it and got in.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

There are different groups and activities. There are also different fraternities and clubs in the school. I am an honors student and also in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS). Athletic events are pretty held in high esteem because its one way which some students fund their way through college such as basket ball, beach volleyball, and football. Some other activities are the annual homecoming event which usually spans about 1-2weeks, the international day on which different people from different countries showcase the rich heritage of their culture.

This school is among the international colleges in the country which makes it a place of diverse race and culture. Students don't usually feel out of place in this school in my opinion because you will always find someone to be your friend and guide you through. Different types of students interact with one another in the classroom, on the road and sometimes in the dining hall.

We have Jocks, Frat kids, every college has geeks who happen to be honor students. This stereotype in very accurate

Richard

the school is really good and they try to help their students succeed, it is just right for students who couldn't get into any other school, people are happy to hear that i am in school and i am studying engineering with specialization in mechanical. i spend most of my time in the library or in the tutoring department, this college is in princess Anne 20 minutes from Salisbury university.the administration is great. somebody did get stabbed on campus. there is alot of school pride in UMES, i will always remember my professors and the amount of hours to put in to help me reach my goals. students do complain that their teacher is giving them surprise quizzes and that their teacher is not willing to curve the grade.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

dorms, roommate issues,activities on campus...

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

best part is that every one has a chance to belong somewhere.the worst part is that some of them are stereotypes

my college is cheap. it is the best college i have been to so far. it has various majors but the only thing i can say is, if you are trying to major in engineering, this school is not the right school to do that because it would only help you specialize in it.

What are the most popular classes offered?

english 101,102,203,305, maths 109,110,calculus 1, engineering classes, bio classes, computer science classes, aviation classes, art.

What's the Greek scene like?

really good, some of them are religious, they do alot of community service, they show good example to the students in school.

campus is really clean, wonderful building colors, SSC is the first building you would see when you step in to the campus.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

the day i met Hydeia broadbent

Tell us about the food and dining options.

you choice what you want to eat. there is pizza, burgers, french fries, pasta, anything you want to eat. you serve your self.

Describe a typical weekend.

party, study, eat sleep and go to church on sunday

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

my school is the best school ever, the educational level is great, service is great, it is great over all. professors are willing to help their students out and so are the fellow students.

When you step off campus what do you see?

the student service center, the cool students, the school name.

it campus it really good. has places for people to hang out and get to know each other as well as have fun doing what you love. the campus is big and it is the cleanest campus that i have seen. i just love the campus.

people stereotype based on a persons weight, etc. some of the student's in the school consider some Africans to be rude, uneducated, etc.

pick the right friends that would help you study not just the ones that always want to party and not study or do their home works. find a student that can help you and show you around. find a higher level student that has the same major as you. also find your self a mentor in your department.

What are your classes like?

they are alsome, it is not big so it is easy for the professor to help the students all the time.

What's the dating scene like?

its easy to get a girl to like you in the school. there are losts of girls there. it is a two girls to one boy ratio.

What do students complain about most?

smoking in their dorms, roommate problems

Tell us about your professors.

they are really good and they are always will to help me succeed

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

we have hawk pride and the students love the basketball game the most.

i dont have one because i like them all the same

the color of a person's skin and the person's personality

Describe the dorms.

they are mostly same sex dorms and there is only one co ed dorm. as for me i have my own room all to myself. i am in the student apartment which are single rooms.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

i decided to go to school because i knew it was the right thing to do and because i wanted to learn more things that could help me in the future.

SGA, ASA, NSCS are the popular groups on campus. i am involve in ASA, NSCS, ASME. they help me to reach my goal. ASA is for me to meet my fellow africans, NSCS is for me to get up and have the chance to tell incoming students about the good things about staying in school, and ASME is to get hands on for engineering and get the chance to to for competitions. The athletic events are popular. people love going to watch the basketball games and volleyball tournaments. Wednesday is movie night on campus. we get guest speaker often. we need somebody older to let us know what to do because we are all learning. i met my closest friend in class and we were just working as parners on a group assignment and we found out that we have alot in common. if i am awake at 2am on a tuesday night, i would be studying or doing my homeworks. Homecoming, Red ribbons for cancer, HIV awareness, ETC. We party every week either on campus or of campus, we also go to Salisbury to party. last week i went to a party with my friends and i even got to meet new people while at the party. on a saturday night, one can hang out with friends and watch a movie or even go to a party that doesn't involve drinking or smoking. off campus i party, go to the mall, go to the movies or go to church.

this a a historically black school, but there are Chinese, whites and Hispanics in the school as well. you choose your own religion. the school doesn't allow stereotyping in school. students that are not comfortable with their self or sex will feel out of place in my school.students wear what ever they want to class. everyone in this school try to interact with each other. most of the student in my school are from Baltimore, New jersey and Nigeria. alot of them are from Africa. students talk about how much they want to earn when they get out of school.

the professors do know their student's names, my favorite class was my Maths 109 because it was hard but it made me want to work harder to get an A in the class. students study very often because if you don't study, you will fail the class. class participation is a grade so yes it is common. some students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and some are competitive because it help us to work harder. my most unique class is my engineering 150 class. my major is not as easy as it seems, there is alot of maths and science involved in it. there is a private lab set aside for the engineering students to use for their projects and works. the professors do spend time with their students outside of class if they need to. the schools academic requirement is high but it is for the students own good. the education is geared towards helping the students get a really good job.

Simone

This school could be alot better. There are barely any soroities and all the fraternities just got here. Plus, i believe the sports shall improve because as a University we are Division 1, this means that we should be some what good. Our school should get a football team because this would wake up campus life. Also, the police in the town shall not be as eager to break up parties, let us students have fun.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Our sports teams here are okay. Our Womens Bowling team is #1 in the Nation. our Womens Volleyball team is #1 in the MEAC, but other than that our sports teams are growing to become better each year.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

A day that i will never forget was during my freshman year of college i played on an intramural girls basketball team and we won the championship!!!

One of my favorite campus traditions are the intramurals sports and homecoming!

Our campus is one of the biggest and most beautiful campuses in the USA.

Describe the dorms.

The dorm life is good. The main dorms that freshman love to get for women is University Terrace and men Nuttle. Here there is alot of room and you barely have to share a restroom area with alot of other students. The other dorms are well put together and located get for everything on campus.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to college to further my education, so i could help my family out. Education is very important and really matters and without education I probably would not make it far in life.

The most popular things are campus are the sporst teams, maily mens basketball. Then the male greeks.

the students at our university is veery blended. Although it is an HBCU everyone is treated equally, also, our school is LGBT friendly so you see alot of different things walking around campus.

We ahve alot of great programs at our school, but many students do not know about alot of them. Our school is ranked good as far as programs, but there should be more of a notice of what they have to offer.

Many people believe that if you play sports you get all the girls. Plus at my university there are more girls than men so many men come to this university with high hopes of getting in many girls pants.

Rhett

Given the opportunity to travel back and have a conversation with high-school self, I would discuss three important areas that are life-lessons learned through experience and the opportunity to be college educated. The first piece of advice would be to understand the power of self-education. I would plead with my earlier self that though the teachers in high-school are good resources, the most important lesson to be learned is that if you want knowledge about a particular area or subject, to go and learn it. I would encourage myself to never let the answer given go unchallenged. My second piece of advice would be to enroll in any financial management courses in the area. Financial responsibility and literacy is not taught in school at any level and to become a financially successful man, you need to plan and understand the ins and outs of the dollar. Lastly, I would tell myself to live and love each day as if it was my last. Understand that we are not promised tomorrow and to take full advantage of every day with my family and friends. Be a resource to everyone I encounter and formulate positive relationships.

The best thing about UMES is the faculty, staff and administration. The Department of Academic Affairs goes above and beyond to ensure that the students are comfortable and given every opportunity to learn within the classrooms. The Staff; including Dining Services, Student Affairs and entities like that ensured that the student experience was a memorable one.

Before matriculating at the University I wish that I would have known about the strong agricultural presence of the University and the work that the University does with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Purdue. I believe that I would have chosed a major dealing with agriculture because it is a thriving business and there are several opportunities that are presented to students majoring in Agriculture and Agricutural Sciences.

The best thing i consider about my school is that the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore is very rich in history. Its a hostorically black college that started in 1886 with three instructors and nine students. Today the academic staff is three hundred-ten memebers strong and there are three thousand nine-hundred twenty-two students. To me this shows growth as well as progress which are two key ingredients for excellence.

"Hawk Pride" is what brag most to my friends. "Hawk Pride" is call that we shout and the response is "Catch It". School spirit is very high at the University of Maryland Eastern-Shore. Everyone who attends the university bleeds maroon and gray which are the school colors.

Malik

UMES is a great institution with tremendous support from the faculty and staff who want to see each student do their best to succeed. There is huge diversity in races here that all get along without any arguments or scuffles. The town of Princess Anne is a relativly small area, with a small and quiet population. Salisbury, MD however, is only a 15 minute drive away and has much more to offer for students attractions. The school is very prideful about sports and activites. The basketball games on campus have always been the best nights out at UMES. Also, the golf team at UMES is one of six top programs in the nation. The Fredrick Douglas Library is a wonderful and peaceful place to go study and get all your material finished. The second floor of the library is where I personally spent all my time studying because of the quiet atmosphere. The town is known in the news to be sometimes violent and dangerous town, but I have lived in Salisbury for all 19 years of my life, and have never seen a sign of danger other then normal violations of law. The area is a great place for a student to learn, and be safe as well.

To simplify this topic, EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY, is accepted without fail at UMES. There is such a large diversity of students from different backrounds, cultures, and personal belifs that it is not shun down upon at any time.

Due to the good student population, the teacher to student ratio is wonderful. All the professors are very personal with each other their students, and are much more easier to cooperate with in comparison to larger campus'. Honestly, I have managed to by a full-time worker at Verizon Wireless, while being a honor roll full-time student at UMES. Teachers do not provide a massive work load, but instead, focus on much more key topics so that the students actualy walk out of that class with knowledge on key materials needed later on in life. The curriculum of all the classes are very thought out, and intense at times, but are supported by great help from each and every professor. All students that are here may show to the face that they just want to party and enjoy college, but when it comes down to the end of the semester, every student passes classes with higher then C averages, because of their desire.

The stereotype at this school is that all students are from relativly poor backrounds, with little-to-no positive education history. Being that the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), is a historically black institution, the majority of the students are of African American race, but that does not neccesarly imply that these students are of poor, or uneducated backrounds. The African American students that attend UMES are those who have desire and passion for succeeding in life.

Tiffany

My classmates and I are focus on why we came here in the first place...to get high grades and a good job after graduation.

I would suggest myself to concentrate in ALL of my classes and to try my best not to slack off. Grades are extremely important in college, especially since I have to pay so much for it. Also, I would let myself know that I'd get caught up in dating with different guys at once. I cannot let them stress me out, because I'm going to college for an education first, then focusing on my social life.

How expensive it is for out-of-state undergraduate students, like myself, yet they do not offer us any scholarships or additional financial aid.

Angelica

I attend a University in Princess Anne, MD and there is alot of campus life. This school in a small/mid-sized town in the middle of nowhere, and people tend to stay on campus on weekends. I love living away from home and I've made some really good friends and we hung out on the weekends. I got the chance to meet student from all over the world and was taught different way to adapt to different situation.

A student who enjoys a small area and classroom size. University of Maryland Eastern Shore has a country southern field

University of Maryland Eastern Shore administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.