Brigham Young University-Provo Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Brigham Young University-Provo

Samuel

Everything that happens at BYU is colored by religion. It is an institution sponsored and subsidized by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. On the bright side, this allows for young adults of faith to have a campus community that shares their values and actively cultivates their religious education, as well as being way cheaper than an equivalent for-profit private university. On the downside, if you are not a member of this religion, you may feel isolated and unseen. But I've known members of this church to be friendly and understanding people, and you just can't beat the cost.

Allyson

It definitely isn't for everyone, but I love it! Everyone works hard and wants to improve. It's a good environment and everyone is welcome. Some classes are smaller, and in those the teachers are more available! Everyone is social on the weekends so there are always fun things going on!

Adam

I think it is a great value, as far as the education you receive for the tuition. And if you are LDS, the tuition is even better, and you are likely to fit in with culture. You may be in heaven here, or it might be merely familiar. That being said, the culture and the administration can be overbearing, to the point that it might not be worth it. Knowing what I know now, I think I would choose to go somewhere else. The main thing I have realized since graduating is that the target market for BYU is the affluent Mormon parents of prospective students. Mormons are afraid that their kids are going to away to college and start to question their religious upbringing and conservative worldview. BYU offers the solution. Kids can get a legit private school education, and they can never leave the church while enrolled, or they will be kicked out of school! That's just what some parents (and some students) are looking for, I suppose, but for other. it kind of defeats the purpose of higher education.

I LOVED every minute here! From the Bells and Devotionals to the big game nights and study labs and religion classes, I loved it all! I loved how we were able to learn serious academic subjects alongside gospel truths. I love the friendships that were made and the eternal companion I found.

Alyssia

Brigham Young University is such an uplifting environment! You have to work hard for your grade, but there are resources available to help. The people are amazing- always friendly and smiling. The professors are here to help. I have learned so much, and I feel a great balance of social life, intellectual learning and spirituality. In my opinion, it is a great place to discover who you are and who you want to be.

Camille

This school is seriously the best and I absolutely love it. this town is just a good place to go to school. It’s safe, but you still get the “college scene” and the “college experience” in the quirkiest way. It’s not hard to meet new people at all. Seriously, I pretty much came here with almost no friends a couple of acquaintances from high school. But I made friends so quickly with so many people from so many different places. Academically, you can’t beat BYU. The classes are challenging, but there are so many resources to aid you in your classes. There’s always something to do on campus, and it isn’t hard to meet to people at all. Sports events are a blast, even if our teams aren’t that good. And overall, everyone here is just so genuine and nice. We maintain high standards that will set us on a course that will benefit us for the rest of our lives. We live by our motto, “Enter to learn, Go forth to serve.”

BYU is a great option for a university. It has very high standards, but its not burdensome in anyway. It's actually really fun to be in an environment that is clean and where the people are friendly. It's a little hard to get a grip on getting involved since there are so many clubs, but once you find your people you feel at home. Academically challenging, which is hard at times, but it provides amazing academic opportunities to grow.

Adrian

BYU is an amazing place. Everyone is super nice and respectful. There is always something going on and everyone there either shares the same religious beliefs or respects your beliefs. The scenery around campus is amazing and all the students take pride in the campus.

Jacob

It's a great school! Friendly, attractive, and intelligent people all over.

maxwell

I love the school. It is very cheap and very good quality of education. There are great opportunities dating here if you're single and there are lots of fun activities to do. I love it here. The hardest things is the demographics. There is a very high Mormon population which is great in terms of having high standards and good friends. But it is hard for those who aren't in sync with the Mormon culture and lingo.

Suzzy

Attending this school has far more benefits than drawbacks. There have been times when the honor code is frustrating and the atmosphere is overwhelming, but when it comes down to the fundamentals of a higher education, I'm proud to attend a university that doesn't make me compromise my education for the price of tuition. Enter to learn, go forth to serve!

Janae

BYU Provo is a fantastic school! Because it is a private school with a religious foundation, the students who are here really choose to be here. There is a lot of school pride and several opportunities for every student. Being a BYU Cougar also puts you in a completely unique worldwide network that allows students a huge advantage. Like any university, BYU has its issues, but I could not imagine going to school anywhere else.

miranda

I was accepted and start in 4 months!

Jenika

When you walk onto this campus, there is something different in the air, and I'm not just talking about the altitude changes. There is a special Spirit that resides on the campus of BYU; a spirit of learning and endeavor. When you walk into classes or even just into places like the library, you are assured that most if not all the students studying there have worked just as hard as you have to get here. This is a religious school, so naturally spirituality is a part if everything that we do and stand for. It helps us as students to remain positive and hopeful, knowing that we have more than just teachers and leaders in our chain of support. Even when I struggle in school (and believe me, I do) I can always be assured by my fellow peers, through devotionals, and other resources that I am never alone. BYU not only gives me the education that I need, but it gives me the tools I need to reach my goals and fulfill my dreams while helping others along the way.

Sienna

Brigham Young University has an incredibly supportive environment and the teachers truly care for their students. They are excited to get to know you and many openly offer to talk about hard things with you should there be a need. Academically, the school is very challenging and you are expected to be able to study hard and well. However, BYU provides all the resources many resources with tutoring, office hours, uplifting devotionals, internships, and more in order to help you succeed.

Jillian

BYU is a fantastic school! There are so many great people to interact with along with inspiring professors and motivating lectures. The school work is competitive and difficult, but so worth it! Campus has a great feel and it's so fun! It's not really the typical party school, but most students who come here care more about their futures than getting drunk or high. Such a great school!

Madison

Brigham Young University is a safe and beautiful campus with helpful professors and very nice and thoughtful students. There are a lot of programs to choose from, and the humanities are thriving there. It is a good place for foreign language, and not just Spanish and French. There are Arabic, Navajo, Swedish, and many more. The plays and productions are great, there are lots of places to eat, the library is very nice, and so are the classroom buildings. Overall, I really enjoy it.

Hieunhien

BYU is a great school that has taught me so much about "why". I have found my answers to all my "why" questions here. This school has opened my eyes, made it so easy for me to learn, and I am constantly surrounded by people who keep good morals and standards.

Jeffrey

BYU is a great school to attend if you are driven to learn in a standard school set up while rounding out your education with studies into religion and history more so than most other universities. It does have its own quirks that some might not care for, but if you like an atmosphere where everyone is trying to learn and be the best person they can be at all times, then BYU is a great school for that. Not to mention that some of BYU's programs are in the top in the nation.

Katrina

I think that BYU is a wonderful place to come right after leaving home. It's a great way to transition into living on your own. I love the feeling of the campus. People are there to learn but also to have fun. I love all the professors and feel that they're very qualified.

Ella

I love this school so much. I fell in love with the campus, the surroundings, the people, and the activities. There's so much to do all the time, and it's busy but it's super fun. There's a huge variety of things to participate in. It's a beautiful place, with awesome programs, good and clean fun, and amazing people.

Samuel

This is an amazing place to learn! I gave up a full-ride scholarship to come here, and I haven't regretted it. Especially for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this is a no brainer (though I would suggest BYU being a heavy contender for those of other faiths). The atmosphere on campus cannot be put into a single word. There is a focus on introspection and faith, and how our beliefs can and should be integrated into learning. There are so many opportunities for pure learning and growth. So many clubs one could join, and so many amazing activities and shows and performances and games and matches etc. that the university provides for a truly well-rounded experience. It is a highly competitive school, but that is where the reputation comes from; BYU students are truly well prepared for life and businesses and companies know that! I am inspired every Tuesday with the devotional/ forum address that regularly covers a plethora of topics. Though the diversity is a bit lacking, the students tend to be very culturally aware and experienced (many have lived in other countries for 18-24 months and there are plenty of study abroad programs). All of this shows that Brigham Young University truly cares about the students and desires to position them into success, not only in their professional careers but in the students' personal lives as well. I love it here- Go Cougs!

Reece

Brigham Young University makes a point of mixing academic education with spiritual enrichment. It is an excellent place to both sharpen one's mind and cultivate one's spirit. Because of the religious nature of the university, there is also a feeling of safety and inclusion that permeates the campus.

Mallory

BYU is full of people who have dreamed of coming to BYU their entire lives. There is so much passion on campus- BYU is full of students who are dedicated and hardworking and doing what they believe is right. Provo is a great place to live and BYU's a great school to be a part of!

Bailee

The rich soil of determination and moral courage on which Brigham Young University was built has brought about meaningful and fruitful learning experiences in the lives of its prepared students. I have seen a change in myself as I have learned at the hand of many kind professors, as I have had new doors of opportunity opened to me, and as I have felt cared about individually, even in the midst of thousands of other students. I have never felt more encouraged and enabled to learn and, perhaps more importantly, change. In my opinion, there is no school better at loving its students than Brigham Young University.

Kylee

It is a school that provides a safe environment with many friendly faces. It also has a variety of various majors with professors that provide access to help. Many of the professors are willing to work with you and give you feedback to help you become better.

Lydia

I love it here! One of my favorite things about BYU is how many smart, kind, accomplished people there are. It's not hard to find great friends. The professors really know their stuff, and tend to care about their students' success. The classes I've taken have been meaningful and I've learned so much.

Alex

I love attending BYU. It helps me become a well rounded student and I feel genuine love from my professors and peers. The facilities are awesome, the programs are excellent, and there are loads of social and extracurricular opportunities. I absolutely love BYU.

Grace

Brigham Young University-Provo is unlike any other school in America. It upholds a sound honor system, and the majority of students are happy to follow, creating an uplifting and safe environment. Campus life is full of students who are ready to engage in learning and engage in friendly social interaction, making day-to-day college living more pleasant and enjoyable. BYU has many clubs/organizations in which you can meet many friends and learn interesting things. Getting involved on campus is so easy and will help anyone find a comfortable setting to mingle and have fun. BYU is also a powerful place of learning because of an abundant amount of attentive professors. They are encouraging, kind, and are always willing to help students with whatever they can, whenever they can. The classes can be rigorous and competitive, but the professors, and also classmates, can make the courses less complicated.

It is a safe environment where I have been challenged intellectually and physically. By going to this school, I have grown as a person and have the desire to continue learning. Every day I was discovering new things that are worth the difficult classes.

Savannah

BYU is the safest, non-party academic school with extremely low prices! It's the exact kind of school everyone should want to attend because of their amazing integrity and virtuous atmosphere.

Joo Won

I strongly believe that BYU-Provo provides a safe environment for learning. Many students are held accountable to the honor code and high standards, which encourages students to always be their best. This university does its best to provide opportunities to many people from different backgrounds. Although it is very competitive to get into certain majors, I feel that we are pushed as students to go above and beyond and truly perform our best. I enjoy that the school is very safe, but most of the time feel out of place as a minority. It would be nice to see more diversity on campus.

Tannya

BYU is unique in that nearly everyone attending is a member of the LDS church, there is a lack of diversity when it comes to religion but the only way two students are the same is through their religion. There are so many different backgrounds, cultures, languages, and outlooks. BYU provides an excellent learning setting, the students, faculty, and staff provide an uplifting environment, they are always trying to better themselves spiritually, socially, and academically the students genuinely seem to want to be good people. There is such a positive atmosphere that makes me want to grow not only as a student but as a human being.

Kiersten

Brigham Young University is known as the "Mormon school." It is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which significantly contributes to the school Honor Code, which every student is required to abide by as long as they are a student. This is why students are prohibited from drugs, alcohol, and pre-marital sexual activity, both on and off campus. While I was a student, I felt that this cut out many distractions, contributed to the safety I felt on and off campus, and made academic life easier, but your mileage may vary. BYU has an amazing array of academic programs, many of them nationally and internationally accredited, and the cost is comparatively cheap compared to the value of the education that it's possible to receive. Extracurricular activities, too, are up to par, especially when it comes to arts, humanities, and sciences. There's something for everyone, including some fantastic internships, scholarships and grants, and study abroad opportunities. If academic success and personal/professional development are your focuses when it comes to college, you can count on being surrounded by friendly, like-minded people at Brigham Young University. They really believe in practical and holistic education, and you don't have to be Mormon to enjoy those benefits. If organized religion makes you uncomfortable, this may not be the school for you. The religious influence is definitely present in campus culture. If you are of a different faith or even just not particularly invested in religion, however, the different religious background won't necessarily be an issue. You might run across terms and quirks that you'll want to request explanations for, but you'll also run into plenty of people who will be happy to explain.

Kristina

BYU is a great school with a wonderful atmosphere. It is well-known for academic rigor and sports programs. Located in Wasatch county, it is surrounded by mountains. Students live by high standards and moral truth. There are many opportunities for students to get involved with research as undergraduates, which provides valuable experience.

Cathleen

Brigham Young University is undoubtedly one of the greatest college in Utah. It is challenging, beautiful, and safe, making the learning environment exceptional for all students, not just religious ones. But, just like any University, it is also extremely hard to get into certain programs and many advisors tend to discourage you from pushing yourself into those programs because they are such a load to carry. Because of this many students tend to feel discouraged, but with a good visit to the Creamery, you can't stay desolate forever and soon BYU will have you back on your feet, climbing higher than the Y.

I'll be honest. BYU was not my first choice in terms of schools. But, I ended up attending here and I wouldn't change it for the world. Tuition is mercifully low, and I love the atmosphere. It's a great place!

Rebekah

I love Brigham Young University- Provo. I am a transfer student and I feel so grateful to be attending this extraordinary school. The faculty/staff and students have managed to create a culture of learning in all aspects of student life- from the classroom, to sports, to the arts. Of course, no university is perfect, but BYU- Provo has created an enjoyable, safe, fun, yet academically rigorous higher education experience/environment that simply cannot be duplicated anywhere else.

Kamea

I love BYU Provo. It's an incredible environment, both physically and spiritually. I feel safe there, and the opportunities for learning are the best. I really feel like the professors care about me personally, and I love all the different types of classes that are available. It's a place where I feel that I can be who I am and not have to worry about it or feel judged for it. There's no drugs or alcohol-type partying allowed, which is fantastic because I'm here to learn, not fool around. I love the honor code and the standards that the school upholds. BYU makes me very proud to be a cougar.

I love going to school at BYU. I'm just a new freshman and I'm finding new things I love about it every single day. It's a beautiful campus, the teachers are outstanding, the academics are challenging and engaging, I feel safe, I have many academic and extra curricular opportunities, and I love my major. I am also very happy about how much emphasis is put on music and arts.

Austin

Great campus. Good School.

Micah

Love it! It's a very safe environment to have fun as a college student. Everything is set up to run smoothly and for college students to access their needs. The staff is here for the success of the students, and that is easy to see in the way the school is run.

Dexter

I consider this to be a very good college and I am very happy to be able to attend here! I appreciate the help we get from professor and TA's. the social atmosphere is a little different than from where I am from (namely the dating culture). But there are always fun things to do and places to go.

Mikaela

I love going here and am so thankful I got it. The environment is clean and the majority of people stay out of trouble (there's always a handful of troublemakers). As with probably anywhere, it is what you make of it. If you're shy, you can find places to be by yourself; if you're social, there's always something going on. People are usually very intelligent, and I've found my teachers are usually pretty accessible, and if they're not, then the TA's are. I can't imagine going to college anywhere else!

I am so glad that I got into BYU and that I am studying at the school of my dreams. It's a unique place and a unique school. Thanks to the Honor Code, students don't participate in drinking, drugs, or sex outside of marriage. Students are involved academically and are passionate about their choice of studies. Many of the departments are in the top of the nation, and others are producing top-notch citizens who have a lot to add to the world; discoveries, research, business ideas, social programs. The involvement in politics, social justice, and community service is high and growing.

Michaela

Being at BYU is a wonderful opportunity to learn and grow in all aspects of life, not just in academia. There are always occasions to make new friends and meet all types of people, as there are constant social activities both on campus and within the off-campus housing. I have found myself inspired simply walking around campus and seeing the beautiful, well-kept landscaping, the architectural creativity of so many of the buildings, and even the nature that surrounds the campus.

Emma

I absolutely love going to school here!! There are countless opportunities, an amazing atmosphere, and the best people you will find anywhere. Everyone is so supportive of one another, especially the professors. BYU has an amazing support system, plenty of different options for different incomes, lots of networking opportunities, countless clubs and groups, and opportunities to volunteer and serve. The academics are top-rate, and the social life is plentiful. There is always something to do. For nature lovers especially, BYU's location in Provo Canyon is optimal.

Emma

Brigham Young University is a great college and I love it here! The tuition is a reasonable price, the professors care about whether their students are learning, there are many very interesting classes, the atmosphere is one that is conducive to learning, and the students are held to a high moral, ethical, and educational standard. Since I’ve been attending Brigham Young University, I feel like I’ve learned a lot. There are lots of fun things to do on campus and there are many places within a reasonable walking distance of campus to go.

Candice

I love the campus at BYU, and the students here are awesome. The professors really care about you and they want you to succeed. It is a religious school, so there is a strict honor code you have to live by, but for the price of tuition and the quality of education, you can't beat it. Go cougs!

katie

BYU Provo is a beautiful school overall. Its campus is gorgeous along with its on-campus housing. I really enjoy the wonderful professors and courses. I think it is wonderful how they integrate religion into some of their classes. I also really enjoy all of the fun recreational activities they offer students at their campus.