Clarkson University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Clarkson University

Charles

Clarkson is very much a school that forces its students to find their own way to succeed. A Clarkson education drives students to learn both independently and in a team/group setting, which in the end leads to the school's outstanding job-placement numbers. At the same time though, professors and some faculty are lacking when it comes to caring about and helping their students to succeed.

Collin

Clarkson is a great school for academics. The professors are some of the best around and are always willing to help, especially in the business school. The freshman business program is unmatched along with the career fair that they host each semester. On the other hand, residence life is not very good. Facilities are old and not maintained well and repairs are almost never done. Also dining options on campus are limited and of poor quality. Overall, Clarkson is great if you can get past the poor dining and living accommodations.

Isabel

As a transfer student into this university I have the unique perspective that I've seen another university as a student. I love Clarkson, it has a super accepting community and tons of ways to get involved. Clarkson's strive to improve the community and environment is important to me and I absolutely love the community it has created for me.

Savannah

The job placement security, post grad, as well as being apart of a varsity sport has kept me at this school. Despite the cold weather and lack of off campus activities. Due to lack of things to do off campus make sure to make friends and get involved in clubs etc. so you don't get too bored. Also budget for off campus food because the cafeteria options get old fairly quickly.

Rebecca

Cold, but it'll get you far

madison

I love the atmosphere of Clarkson. When visiting colleges in high school, no other school compared. It is a tight knit community with someone always willing to lend a helping hand. You will recognize every person wherever you go on campus and will likely take classes with the same group of people every semester. This often results in study groups who work together on tough assignments. The professors are always happy to help students as well, whether it be in academics or in life. The alumni connection is strong and every person I know who attends or has graduated, has a great sense of pride for Clarkson.

I am really excited to attend in the fall. I have only heard great things about it, and I can not wait until I go. I will be going on the pre-orientation camping trip and have heard nothing but fun and exciting things about the trip. Also the academics are rumored to be tough but manageable.

Te-Ree

Clarkson University is academically rigorous where one can challenge oneself, but there is lack of diversity on campus within the student ratio and in the courses offered here. Clarkson University could offer more language course since students will be working in a global environment.

sandy

Hockey players are treated like royalty and if you're a hockey fan , Clarkson is the place for you. If you want professors that challenge you, it's a mixed bag. If you want to go to Med School, go elsewhere.

Chastiy

I’d wish I had a time machine to g back and matriculate somewhere else. It destroyed my dream of becoming an md. After 4 years of exams being exactly like homework, memorizing useless info without understanding much and nonetheless getting all As, I bombed the MCAT. I was never asked to think critically, to solve problems, to read or analyze. Rote memorization was the way to study for exams. It is easy to get a perfect GPA which turn some out to be perfectly useless if you want to go to med school or to a prestigious grad school. Clarkson PhD programs are a factory, the students TA and teach most of their time, their mentors write their thesis for them because they’re just technicians. Most of them don’t even speak English well.

Corinne

Overall, Clarkson is a great school and is very well known among employers in the Northeast. The quality of education is great and I feel very prepared for my job as a result. The campus is small, and is located in a very small town, but there is plenty to do, especially with all of the clubs and organizations on campus.

Chiara

Overpriced community college with a powerful marketing strategy. Buyer beware! Terrible for premed students! Big in hockey, weak in real academics. Most exams are copy-paste homework, easy As, grade boosters, not challenging. Education and student learning is not a priority.

Joshua

Clarkson has been everything I expected and more. While orientation was a little cheesy, I made a lot of friends that I have grown very close to and continue to hang out with during the summer months. The dorms are what is to be expected. The heat works well in the winter but there is very little you can do about the first few weeks of fall semester when it is unbelievably hot. The area isn’t very big, but it wasn’t a change for me coming from a small town and an even smaller high school. The student-teacher ratio was exactly what I was looking for in a school. Every professor and even their teaching assistants have office hours. Small group tutoring is offered almost every day of the week. Drop-in tutoring is offered in the quad lounge, but I recommend avoiding it when it comes down to crunch time right before a test as you won’t get much individual attention. I recommend finding friends to study with in small groups. Every professor that I have had so far give out practice exams before each test and those will become your best friend. The While the weather isn't the best and the classes push you harder than your high school ever did, the reward is worth it. Even as a freshman I was able to secure a paid internship at a billion-dollar company. Despite my attitude during the spring semester I can’t wait to go back in a few weeks.

Daniel

The campus is very drab, none of the architecture is something that you would want to spend time to look at. The rooms have space decorations, and appear to have been build as cheaply as possible. There a few professors that have a passion for teaching but many seem to go out of their way to make the student's lives miserable. The food gets worse every year, as do most things on campus. All new policies seem to be implemented to make the students lives worse. One recent example of such policy is the elimination of most of the parking spaces for students at Cheel Arena. Most Alumni have fond memories of Clarkson, but this university is past its prime.

Dennis

Clarkson is advertised as an A+ school for B students but it is a C school as we end up worse than when we started. Courses are easy, exams are almost exactly like homework, we memorize for the exams and learn very little. Although I like the very few professors who are challenging, most students like the easy A courses because that’s what they came for. Most students just want to graduate and get a job at P&G or GE, so they do not want to grow intellectually or go to graduate school. I do want to go to graduate school and I have a decent GPA but did awful on the GRE. Clarkson doesn’t prepare you for critical thinking so most of us have to take a leap year, unlearn the way we study, take Kaplan, hope for the best. My advice to prospective students: do not listen to their advertising, they are very skilled used car salespeople and your education will be a lemon.

Kasie

Clarkson Universy is an amazing school in which students thrive, learn, grow, make friends, mature, and leave prepared. Clarkson has great professors, fun people, a beautiful campus, and way yummier food then I've had on any other college campus I've experienced. Clarkson University does have great acedemics but on top of that it has an outstanding vibrancy to its campus with everything that's always going on, whether it's clubs, sports, social gatherings, events, speakers, etc. Clarkson University is a 5/5 rating in my opinion.

Mark

I really like that Clarkson is a smaller university in both student body and campus size. The campus is easy to navigate and very well kept. It is a hockey school so hockey games are very lively. The education is world class, though some of the professors are hard to understand, but that is probably encountered at every school. Clarkson is located in Potsdam, NY and there isn't much to do but a lot of students travel up to Canada on the weekends. Overall, I love the school and so far, I have really enjoyed my time there.

Jamie

Clarkson is a nice, small school with an equally small campus that is easy to navigate. The course material for each class is challenging but can easily be conquered through studying. Clarkson University truly sets every student up to succeed. If you go here I wouldn't be very particular about your food FYI

Aquilla

Premeds do not matriculate here. Go elsewhere. Any SUNY, even SUNY Canton will prepare you better. Clarkson is a scam. Ok for engineers and business majors. Period. They try to keep you paying for their health science programs like PT and PA so the don’t care whether you get into med school. They used to have a good program with Upstate Med but it’s gone since students cannot do even average on the MCAT. It’s easy to get a 4.0 GPA which is worthless outside Clarkson since most cannot pass standardized tests in their senior years. Not quality education. Ok school to get a managerial position at Price Chopper. There are better schools than this one. Don’t be fooled by their empty promises. Ask the hard questions before accepting. Ask how many premeds get accepted to med school. Shop around.

Abbey

Terrible choice if you want to go to med school. Terrible prehealth advising. Clarkson is notorious for underperforming on the MCAT. Don’t be fooled by the huge tuition discounts they will offer you. You will pay later by not being able to pursue your dreams.

Aaron

Clarkson University is an excellent school if you want to pursue a stem based career, and it's selection of sports is amazing. Its facilities are above average, and the college has a lot of shops around it. If you love hockey, Clarkson is also the place for you.

Hallie

I believe the school is fantastic. The classes and professors are wonderful. There are so many opportunities for research and internships. There are well over 100 clubs to choose from. Everyone (even if they're not into sports) loves the hockey team and loves cheering their school on during games. The students are very intelligent and work hard to achieve their goals. The classes are challenging, but the professors are more than willing to help. Professors are also willing to talk to you if you're in a bad spot which is important because some students are afraid to reach out to people. Overall, I believe Clarkson University is a great school and I would highly recommend it to someone interested in going into the engineering, biology, chemistry, computer science, or business field.

Theo

I’m looking forward to transferring next year. Even though they gave me a good deal on tuition, I would rather pay more elsewhere and get a quality education. It was not obvious to me during the visit, but it is clear to me now that this institution is not what they said they were. My plan I sent to apply to medical school in my junior year and I have been talking to juniors and senior students (I’m a fosh) who advise me to transfer ASAP so that I can at least get a chance to go to medical school. I guess I forgot you go to the Dollar Store of colleges you get an education that reflects it.

Lindsay

I have mixed feelings about Clarkson. There could be more done with the campus, a lot could be better including a few professors, the food, and the housing. One thing that makes me happy at Clarkson is the people though. There are a lot of kind and friendly faces everywhere you go and someone is always willing to lend you a hand

Christina

It is a fun place to be. The academics are great and the professors care about students succeeding. Some of the academic buildings are a bit run down, but some are nice. As far as campus food goes, it is not very good and seems to have little nutrition. It is also a very stressful curriculum, but it is all worthwhile.