Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Donald

Messiah is very concerned with political correctness.

Messiah is very concerned with political correctness.

If I could traverse the time space continuum in order to interact with my past self, there are two things that I believe he would benefit from knowing. First, I would advise him not to transfer colleges. I transferred during my first year of college. Ultimately, transferring was the correct choice; however, it would have been better if I had simply started at my current college. Because of transferring, I have had to make innumerable visits to the registrar's office and fought many battles in a frequently vain attempt to get my credits to transfer properly. My life as a college student would be immeasurably easier if I had avoided the pitfall of transferring. Second, I would teach myself the rules of logic (good arguments versus bad arguments, logical fallacies, etc). In my sophomore year of college, I took a philosophy course which taught me the rules of logic. That knowledge started me on a grand quest for truth which has dictated my life ever since. That quest has been helpful for everything from analysis of abstract philosophical concepts to daily problem solving. My current understanding and knowledge could be far greater if I had begun my quest earlier.

Some of the ridiculous gen eds we are required to take.

Reflecting on the past four years as a student at Messiah College, if given the opportunity to go back in time and provide a highschool senior version of myself with advice, I would encourage myself to find the courage to set aside any preconceived prejudices; to celebrate one another?s differences and to refuse to clutch to the familiar. As a member of the Messiah Community, I have discovered that an individual?s past shapes his/her present, and that often, the most influential individuals in life are those with immeasurably different backgrounds, religious traditions, and life perspectives. I believe that only through embracing the unfamiliar and acknowledging each individual as an individual with a purpose and a calling, can our generation bring forth the change our world so desperately needs.

The best things about Messiah College is their mindset to produce professional individuals who are not strictly focused on securing the best paid or most sought after job position. They cultivate an academic environment which encourages students to excel in their studies and learnign and apply the gained tools to a vocation that serves the community and fulfills the purpose God has for them.

Rules for the apartments. Since students are unable to secure an apartment until junior and senior year, it is frustrating that the upperclassmen have to abide by visiting and quite hours.

Students need to be aware that its difficult, but that it is a life change that is worth it. Choosing a college is hard, but you need to pick one that you love. If you find yourself hating your school, you should pick a new one. You also have to be careful to not give in to the temptations of college. You are there to focus on your studies so that you can have a career. Students should also get involved in as much as they can handle in order to make friends and learn new skills.

Matthew

For the most part, you'll do fairly well in college. The only real advice that I have for you is to get involved in a club as soon as you can, even if you have to start one yourself, and ask around to see if you can find a church that you like. Also, you might want to try just being part of a small group before taking a leadership role.

The soccer teams are very good. They both just won the division 3 national championships two years in a row.

There's quite a lot of reading to do for classes. If you're really serious about academics, your social life might not be very enviable. You need to find a balance of social life and classwork that you like.

Matthew

I wouldn't give myself any advice. The point of life I was at at that time and my general situation were what influenced me to pick Messiah College. As with all institutions, there will we nit-picky things wrong, but overall this is the perfect place for me. The only issue is how expensive it is, though it is a great education. I am growing a great amount as an individual and a social worker, complete with field experience at this early time, and would not have it any other way. Why have regrets anyway? If I wanted change I would certainly seek it. Thanks for reading.

Anyone. We could use more ethnic students for sure. The typical student is a weathly white Christian, but that is certainly not exclusive.

Academics are great, the campus is beautiful, the people are mostly friendly and accepting, and there are many opportunities for growth spiritually and in activities.

Julie

Life-changing to the extent that a price can't be put to it.

Life-changing to the extent that a price can't be put to it.

I would not have made my decision solely on athletics. Instead I would have focussed on the person who I sought to become in life, rather than the athlete I wanted to become.

One who has no, or does not want any morals.

Rosette

the school I go to is a welcoming, you feel part of the family/community and you are put in front of challenges that help you to grow spiritually, socially and become a better person in the society.

Dear Rosette, it's almost the end of a chapter of your life and now you're preparing for the next chapter in your life. You must know that life is not easy and that you'll face different challenges and you'll win battle, but one thing to remember is that you are the one who decide who you want to become. You're the one living your life and making it worst or better. So take time to know exactly what you want to do and don't be afraid to say that you've failed and ready to make a change. Don't be afraid to go back to ground zero and start all over. It's better to finish the race last doing it the right way then finishing first and not doing everything correctly to be disqualified in the end. I know that you're an over achieve, do things the right way and on time, but you have to learn how to balance your social life, school and family. You spend so much time doing school work and sometimes you complain of not having a social life. Take every opportunity you have and enjoy.

I wish that they helped the students with more financial aid. I applied late because my family was moving to PA from NC and wanted to be close to them. And even though my GPA in highschool was great, they didn't give me enough scholarships and i'm struggling financially. I think that they should help students. there are students who apply late, don't have scholarship and do great in the first year, and i don't get how they don't have any scholarship to award to them. i had a 3.18 GPA.

John

Students here are very service oriented, williing to help and very likely to succeed

I learned pretty quiclkly that there are lots of ways to experience your college career. My best advise is to try them all. Dont be afraid to seek out new opportunites. This can be through clubs, coffee houses, professor chats or study groups. Being a part of the campus truly enhances the whole college experience. The cost is daunting and you must be extremely diligent to keep searching out scholarship opportunites. It is always a real possiblity that I may have to return home as the financial climate changes for our family. Each day is a blessing and acknowleging and accepting that fact makes all the learning opportunities more intense.

Or school is too expensive and very difficult for out of state students to find scholarships especially those that are not academically based.

Brian

We are best known for Engineering, Nursing, and Accounting. These are the top 3 majors from Messiah (as far as I know.) We are also known for our Men and Women's soccer teams, as we have won multiple Division III Championships.

The environment is very welcoming. It is very easy to make friends freshmen year, and to keep those friends throughout school. The engineering, nursing, and accounting programs are GREAT! Messiah's sports are also amazing, with multiple Division III national titles. If you can get a choice on housing for freshmen year, definitely try to get into Hess as it is the best freshmen dorm on campus.

The advice that I would give myself is to do everything exactly the same. I would make sure I signed up for "The Religion of Football" as my First Year Seminar, and I would make sure that I lived in Hess, just like I did my freshmen year. I loved every moment of being a freshmen at Messiah. I would probably tell myself to focus more on Encountering the Bible, but other than that to just live in every moment, because freshmen year was the best year I have had at school. I would tell myself to take it easy through Sophomore year. I did way to much work in that year, and wish I had spent more time keeping connected with my friends. I would also tell myself to get involved in Rec-Sports sooner, as it has been an absolute blast. If I had the option to talk to myself as a high school senior, I probably would wind up telling myself to simply not worry about a thing, and that college was going to be great for me.

John

I would absolutely make sure that I visit all the schools I was applying too. One of the schools I was applying too was +1000 miles away and I couldn't afford to visit the school. I was rather busy my senior year, so I never took the time to visit the other schools on my list with the rational that there was no point in visiting because I would have nothing to compare it to for the other school. It turned out that the atmosphere was really not to my liking. I went back and visited the other schools I had applied to and loved them but was not able to get in the program I wanted as a transfer. I am now at a third school that I never planned on attenging. While I enjoy it here I often regret not visiting those other schools as I may be there right now.

The visiting hours can be rather constricting. Some students have issues with them.

Anyone who can not keep from using tobaco products, alchohol, drugs or sexual behavior. The school has an absolute 0 tolerance policy on all of the above.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.