Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Connie

The best thing about Messiah i think is the location of the campus, in the middle of no where.. there always something going on campus with different clubs. The cool thing is Harrisburg is only 25 min away, Philly is only two hours away and NYC about two hrs as well. DC is only hour and alf away so... The size of the school is perfect under 3000 students. I have great reactions for those who knows the school. I spent a lot of times at my dorms, hanging out with students, working on different projects helping out in the community. The administration is great when you face them. Speak your mind at MC. I think Messiah is now afraid of loosing a lot of their credits so they are doing anything they can do to adjust and please the student body. In the same token they are trying to protect their values which they have been pretty successful at. They keep their mandatory chapel policies, strict visitation hours, no alcohol on campus. I think they school take pride in where they are going and how they are getting there, again a female president is awesome. I had better experience with the previous president than the current one, but i hear great things about her and i hang out with her a few times. She is super cool! My best experience at MC is my first semester if it was not for great faculties and students i would probably quit college. it was hard for me, one of my prof took me to watch a baseball game for the first time ever in the state. Students complains about visitation hours, mandatory chapels... Unusual...? can't think of any.. I have to say last this school is one of the top well known to send their students to study abroad and mission work. They sent you to the top universities around the world, i am talking about Oxford in England, Science Po in Strasbourg, France, to name a couple; i study in France and it was the best experience of my life. I was able to find my voice for human rights, politics and photography while studying in France.

From what I hear some students are still pretty basic to their ground. When you go to the campus you noticed everyone hang out with their own crowd which is typical at other campus. Students tends to be personal and not to open, but once they let you in, they stand by you. Students wear about anything, some of them look like they just roll out of bed, which is true, the girls are normally neat looking lol. It is very laid back, they are quite a few like me who likes to dress up every day too. Most of the campus is white hands down, so the minority is getting bigger, but the racial issues at MC is something that is getting better, I never face it but I hear stories for sure. In fact they even make a video that you can watch about potential students and professors who express their views on being a victim. Hey i give them credit to put it out there so they can learn from their past. I thin they are on the right track, because the world not we are living in is not black and white. You want to be test out before graduation, maybe it is me... I think most of them got good financial background. This campus is hands down more republican...Students speak their mind on that campus, it is small so that makes it easy to voice your opinion... in classes we do talk about how we would love to make when you are done with school...

Messiah is changing a lot , they are adapting to how the world is changing around them.. they are in the process to be a green campus and they are making great change... I think they are too strong against professors who stand against the school policy. We have gay and feminist faculties...this campus is about to make leaders to change the world, their heart for service, diversity and community is getting bigger and stronger.. Messiah student got married quick sometimes even before graduation.... In the End I give the school an A...they help me find a reason to die for after graduation which is public service and do what i am passionate about .. for this is what I expect out of a college.. do not get me i fought for it, i challenge my professors and students! www.TOUSSAINT photography.Com wedding, fashion, commercial, sports.

I have to say the school is indeed strict with their faith belief, however during my five years on campus, I have seen a lot of great change. We have a new and first female president Kim Phipps. She is really open to listen to the students. They welcome challenges from the students body. The race issues is definitely there, from what i hear, but speaking for myself I never face any race issue at all on campus. So the school stereotype as far as race and faith core values has been really open in the few years. They even brought a well known gay group on campus to talk about the issue. The most stereotype is when you get on campus you will hear about the "Ring by Spring on my tuition back." Students will expect to find their mates by graduation. I would love to say it is not true, but the fact can speak for itself :) There is some great truth into... The percentage of the students who get married is pretty decent. In the same token the divorce rate is also high among them.

This is where the action take place, some professors still pray at MC, a very very few still do. They know you by names, they open their doors, some even take you to their home for party and discussions, they listen to how they can help you reach your goal. They adjust to what fashion of learning will suit you the best. However, they will not put that on the table you have to fight for it. Let them know how you are different and how can they help you reach your goal. Intellectual conversations depends on who you hang out with. students speak their mind as you challenge them for sure. It was always intellectual for me, because i force them too. I love all my classes in photography, my professors challenge me after he told me to change my project that i did not have what it takes to deliver it at the end. I love challenge so I keep up and prove him wrong. I have to say the art department at MC is the most challenge and brutal.. they will not take crap from you. they will destroy inside and out so the best can come out of you. :) it works for me. The French department on campus is ok However, the fact that they can sent you to France to study that is the best ever. You can learn with the best. I study at the second best Sciences Po in France which was in Strasbourg, France. I was challenge and took classes in Law, Politics, Theology, Philosophy and many more. The Communication department is ok, I think they can use more help. They are making great progress but they need to do more.. for Instance they have Kirsten Snow works for them which is the Ed Rendell assistant, they should keep her on staff as much as they can, but not the case. My education at MC allows me to open my own vision and dream. A year before graduation I was able to open my own photography business. I now do weddings, fashion, commercial, pregnancy and sports, here is my site www.TOUSSAINTphotography.Com They challenge to think outside the box and create your own visions when things don't work out. Maybe it was me i don't know. Their academics requirement is pretty tough for some professors.

WOW this campus is loaded with outside activities your head will turn, you name the field that you want to be involve and they will make it happen.I was involve for a little with the international club, the service trip, the sports club, the theater club.. this is one of the best way to meet friends, working in the same club helps a lot. The dating scene is great up there, students are not afraid to show their love in public, they respect each other, i think the party scene could have been more. you have to go off campus to have great fun, but they are a lot of small club that meets in regular basis to chill and have a good time.. on Saturday at the student union there is something always going on with music..we have a $1 movie at the school theater for the weekend. The campus is pretty so if they weather is nice at 2am you can always go for a walk or play indoor sports, we have a student cafe where you can hang out till you are drop dead. Traditions the nursing school will jump into the creek with their uniforms on, during the spring all the seniors will fight against the first year student on a war battle. They meet on a field they make weapons out of duck tape and cardboard whatever you can make and they fight till they have no more weapons left ... just look up Messiah duck tape war on youtube, you can see for yourself! it is pretty fun.. we have an Acclamation dance which is huge, we have the spring flying where you dress up off campus and take a girl out.. it is very high scale.. it is a perfect place to walk out with a girl if you ever happen to be single ...we have the same thing in the fall...In the past two I have been going back on campus to do free engagement shoot.. it is getting big because of the percentage of students who do get married right after college...Off campus we are out and be ourselves...

It is a very conservative school. We have straight rules when it comes to protect our faith and values. The issue of race is pretty intense and talk about a lot on campus. They are super awesome with sports such as soccer woman and man, field hockey, basket-ball, Tennis to name a few.

Leah

Close-minded, naive, uneducated, hypocrites.

Close-minded, naive, uneducated, hypocrites.

My advice is to look beyond the numbers. As high school seniors, students and their parents are bombarded with teacher to student ratios, diversity percentages, the number of clubs, how many majors are offered, the acreage of the campus, and so forth. Although college is an important next step after high school and a stepping stone to a bright future, it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity, and students should use it as a growing opportunity. Every college has professors, every university has classrooms and dining halls. Ten years from now it will not have mattered which college or university you took your general education courses at or where you got your degree. What will matter is the person you are. At which school are you going to be a better person after 4 years? Where will you make your life-long friends? Where will you make the memories that you reminisce over years from now? Where will you find your character developing along with your intellect? To make the most of the college experience, students should live in the moment and take each day in stride, because it's the small things in life that count.

How academically challenging my classes are, how much I'm learning and the high quality of the educations, and how qualified my professors are and how much I like them.

Messiah is a open, welcoming community of students, professors, and faculty whose main desire is to help you to grow closer to God and your independant life in society by helping you to discover God's plan for your life.

Forest Gump once said that "Life is like a box of chocolates." I believe this is true. You cannot know what kind of chocolate is in the box unless you open it up and try them all. And yes, you will get chocolates that you don't like and ones that dry your mouth out, but you will learn for next time which ones to avoid. There will also be those chocolates that are so good, you wished that they filled the whole box. College is like life (and chocolate). You never really know what you are going to get. You may chose colleges or activities that are like the bitter chocolates. They may leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you not want to try another one. Keep trying though! College is full of the good chocolate times and bad. It is only through trial and error that you get full of wonderful memories...oh, and chocolate.

The most frusterating thing about school is finding a balence. Messiah College offers so many opportunities. You are at school to learn and grow in your academic field through classes and research. However, you are also at college to accumulate some of the best memories you will ever have. There is a point that you have to find between school and everything else that you can do. This is the first opportunity that you have to be on your own. Finding a balence will be the most frustrating thing but it comes with practice.

Brittney

I think what is unique about our school is our Christianity-based community. It allows for us to be better stewards of our community through taking better care of the environment as well as helping others through volunteer work. Our sports teams are nationally ranked, both of the soccer teams recently won national titles for their division. Messiah not only prepares you for your job, but prepares you for life by providing you with a good, firm Christian background, strongly rooted in Jesus Christ.

Choosing the right college to attend is one of the most important decisions you will make. At this college you will be trained in the profession you choose and most likely work in until you decide to retire. Something that may seem scary at first really can turn into a nightmare, or a dream. To find the right college, I would have to recommend getting as much information that you can about colleges that fit the requirements you want. If you are interested in a college in your state, with a certain tuition, and certain major, do the research and find the schools that match. Upon researching the matching schools, write pros and cons, which will help you put down on paper all the randomness that is flowing through your mind. The college years are said to be some of the most memorable times of your life. Making good decisions is an important part of this experience, the first decision about where to go. If you don't have a certain major choosen, don't stress. Academic advisors are available to help you make the deciison about a career. Most important, make friends, but choose them carefully.

I consider the best thing about my school to be the community. First coming to this school last year, I was quickly assimilated into the school's community by peer groups. In these groups we not only learned about Messiah's community but were able to assist through volunteering the surrounding community of Harrisburg. Friendships that are built here at Messiah are not meant only for study partners but are life long relationships. This school is accepting of all religions, race, doctrines, and sex and that is why I consider Messiah's community to be the best thing.

Karly

My classmates are awesome!

My classmates are awesome!

I would advise parents and students to start the college search early and to make sure to visit the college before making a final decision. Parents, be sure to listen to what your child is interested in so that they end up at the school where they want to be. Distance is also a crucial issue when it comes to choosing a school. I would advise students to go far enough away so that there is a feeling of independence yet close enough for the comfort of security. To make the most of your college experience make sure you put yourself out there and meet new people. Classes are important and so is making friends and building relationships that last a lifetime. Work hard but have fun at the same time.

I wish I would have taken more ap classes and tested out of them.

Whitney

My classmates are academically driven as well as friendly and helpful

My classmates are academically driven as well as friendly and helpful

Deciding which college to attend is an important decision for the student as well as the parents. In order to ensure the right decision, it is essential that the parents and student communicate with each other early on what they want from a college; level of academic standards, proximity from home, religious/cultural affiliation, cost/financial aid, etc. The student and parents should make a joint decision about the right college after visiting multiple campuses and determining which would be the best fit for the student, as well as which college the parents are comfortable with. This process takes time, and the parents and student should start it as soon as possible. Once the student decides on a college and moves in, s/he will want to make the most of the college experience by making friends and participating in extracurricular activities. students should join as many clubs and activities as possible that cater to their favorite hobbies. In these clubs, students can find lifelong friends that share their passion and enjoy their company. Building relationships while succeeding academically at the college chosen by parents and/or students will help the student make the most of his/her college experience.

It's a great school, but there's not much to really "brag" about

Erin

I had the time of my life there, and I miss being a student at Messiah so much I still cry about it.

When I was a senior in high school, my mother and I went "college shopping"; she told me that I would just know when I was at the right school. I rolled my eyes and sighed, but when I stepped onto the campus of my Alma Mater, it just felt right. It was also very helpful for me to make a list of my top priorities in what I was looking for in a school. I'd rate each school based on those priorities, and then schedule visits. Once you know what kind of school you're really interested, stepping on campus is a fun and exciting experience that (at least for me) made the choice instinctual. Once you have chosen your school, try to take your gen-eds first - you never know when you might decide to change your major. Also, take advantage of studying abroad: It will change your life! As you get ready for that first semester, be prepared to work hard! College is a lot different from high school, so don't beat yourself up if you don't do as well as you thought. Overall, take EVERY opportunity you can and LIVE IT UP!

Someone with a lot of school spirit and a Christian background, that wants to grow in their faith and make really awesome friends. Someone who is willing to work hard in their classes and succeed.

Kawila

they are generally nice, and are generally intelligent. athletes and friends of athletes are usually the most popular studen...

they are generally nice, and are generally intelligent. athletes and friends of athletes are usually the most popular students.

it's small and intimate, and it provides a good education

Visit the campus and see what you think. talk to students about the campus climate, take a tour of the academic halls as well as the residential buildings. and make sure they have the major you'd like to work toward

Kaitlin

In the pursuit of the best school, make every possible effort to visit. My ultimate decision, even with all of the logistics in my mind, was based on how I felt when I was on campus. When I walked around the Messiah Campus, I immediately felt as if I belonged. As a college student, one should try to be as involved as possible- don't overbook your schedule with endless meetings and clubs, though. "Involved" as I define it means to invest oneself in things that will encourage personal, spiritual, social, intellectual, and physical growth. This could mean community service, joining a Bible study, playing rec sports, going to on-campus lectures, or just hanging out with a different group of people from time to time. The main thing: do not have any regrets. Learn and live as much as possible from and with those around you!

Since it's in a small town, Messiah seems a little bit removed from the world sometimes.

Messiah College is small, but vibrant community of really great students and faculty.

Instinct has a lot to do with looking for a college. Even though a school may seem to have everything you're looking for, visit it and pay attention to your reaction to small things. Don't settle. Once you find a school, remember that this is a fresh start- an opportunity to reinvent things yourself. Be open to change, don't be afraid of it, and find friends who encourage it. If at all possible, study abroad.

I brag about Messiah's study abroad opportunities, and their campus in Philadelphia. Also, my advisor has become a mentor of sorts, and made a huge impact in my life even after ive moved on to graduate school.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.