Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Phyllis

As a high school senior, i will advice myself to plan ahead of time to get the resources and finace that i need to go to college. I will do this by getting a part-time job during my junior year of high school so that i can have some money save for college. I will also advise myself to never wast time, not to be afriad to go to college. I will also advice myself to work hard, never give up, and belive in myself. I will also advise myself it is a good thing to go to college. it will bring me more opportunity, great future in life. I will also advise myself once i have an education , it will be with me for life and no one can take it away from me. I will also ask of school reimbursement at my job so it can help pay for my school. I will also advise myself to research alot of schools to see which programs the school offer. I will also advise myself to do volunteer work either in the hospital, or community that can help pay for college.

Jarrett

A Christ-centered learning environment that draws people who desire to grow in their faith, discern their profession, and nurture relations for life.

There is no need to worry because all incoming students are in the same boat, clueless regarding what is going on and what to expect. Further, when you transition into college life, you are not alone because vulnerability builds relations and creates community. It is important to be humble, open up and not be so guarded. Ask questions; do not try to figure everything out on your own. Embrace each opportunity that knocks at your door, enjoy these four years to the fullest because college is a once in a lifetime experience. Nurture relationships with professors and friends. Above all, fully appreciate this blessing and work diligently because not all individuals can attend college. A higher education is a privilege and with every privilege comes a responsibility. Take ownership for your decisions and make a positive difference in our world.

I wished that I had known more regarding the social climate and activities. Located in a rural area, the entertainment opportunities are limited and students primarily need to create their own fun. A student led board does their best to bring in live music, but these events are not frequent enough. Therefore, students support the seasonal sports teams or gather in smaller groups to jam, play cards, and fellowship. A car makes a great difference and gives the student the freedom to enjoy off-site venues.

Lisa

I'd tell myself to try to make my experience fun but productive and directed toward some area they are truly interested in, no matter what other people may think. To try to end high school with as few bad memories and trauma as possible. I'd explain to myself what happened to me and how I finally was able to rise above the bad times but that because of my bad decisions some experiences will stick with me forever. Standing up to what they believe in and what they know is right because they can't wait for someone else to do the right thing. I'd tell them to take initiative, do their best, speak up for what they need and stick with the winners. Really, stick with the winners. Find an activity that they really love and don't let themselves get bored. Keep it interesting, whatever that means for them and make sure to take care of themselves before trying to save everyone else. Life is hard so get used to it. Go into life knowing this and figure out a way to make life as enjoyable as possible during the times it's not hard.

Melody

Never believe that you already know the answer. It's easy to get fired up and form an opinion once you encounter that first liberal professor. Sit back and take everything in. Listen before speaking. You can't have an open mind without seriously considering another viewpoint and then reflecting on your own. A degree will get you a career, but an open mind will take you places.

I wish I had known how focused Messiah is on sprituality AND intellect. I feel that Messiah does not intend to sugarcoat things or indoctrinate me with a certain agenda. I had assumed that I wouldn't be getting a "real" education at a Christian college, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was only required to take 2 Christian classes, and they both actually opened my mind, rather than forcing things down my throat and making me more narrow-minded. I appreciate Messiah for its efforts to maintain a Christian campus while delivering an education on par with secular schools.

The pressure to find a "click" is very discouraging . The school does not make it very easy to sit alone - especially in the dining hall or at chapel. Chapel being forced (24 chapels a semester) is also miserable.

Olivia

Picture the next four years as a blank canvas, pure and white and waiting to be covered in brilliant color. You have the chance to repaint yourself however you want, leaving behind the things you disliked about yourself in high school and accentuating the things about yourself that you value. Be daring, assert yourself, wear a funny hat, dance to class, talk to people. Be kooky and loveable and confident because you are a beautiful person. Don't be afraid to open up to others, because chances are people are a lot more friendly than you think, and the sooner you make connections the sooner you will start to feel like you are at home. Continuing the painting metaphor, don't rush. Paint slowly and with great detail. Live every second to its fullest because college isn't going to last long. Go about your life with the intention of making memories. Take chances and never let an opportunity to try something new and fun slip through your fingers. Tell that cute boy you like him, go iceskating even though you don't know how, take walks in the rain without an umbrella, and keep a journal.

Messiah College is quite liberal, which I find to be a wonderful thing. I heard scary stories about curfews and gender segregation when considering a Christian school, but Messiah has none of that. Students are treated like responsible adults who are free to do what they want and are expected to answer for their own actions. It is a place where morality is supported but not crammed down one's throat, which makes it that much more appealing.

You are required to have at least three theologically-based classes in order to fulfill Messiah's particular gen-ed requirements. This can be difficult, especially if you are struggling to fit all your necessary classes into an eighteen-credit school year. Also, students are required to attend a designated number of chapels in order to be able to graduate. While I support the idea of chapel, I find it frustrating that missing a couple affects my academic standing.

Erica

There is a passion for life found in many students.

There is a passion for life found in many students.

Expect the unexpected! Take advantage of opportunities given to you. Don't hold back. When I went off to college I never ever ever in my wildest dreams expected to study abroad. When I got to college I realized that they had a study abroad program in Uganda. I had always wanted to go to Africa. I decided to look into the program, and decided to go. It was one of the best semester's of my life. I learned so much. I learned more about God, myself, other people, another culture, and another beautiful country. After I returned I became aware I could study abroad again. I went to Australia, and continued to learn and be challenged. While in Australia, I realized a semester in Jerusalem would fit into my schedule, and still allow me to graduate on time. I leave in 3 weeks. Being a Christian Ministries major, I cannot wait to be studying in the land of the Bible. These experiences have enhanced my education in unimaginable ways. Messiah makes these experiences possible in the sense that two of the programs didn't cost a cent more than it would cost sitting at Messiah College (airfare included)!!!!

The amazing study abroad program. Messiah College stongly emphasizes study abroad, and makes it very similar in cost to their own prices; therefore allowing many the opportunity. Their programs consistently rank highest in the nation. These experiences have greatly enhanced my knowledge of the world, and were the greatest college learning experiences of all.

Cait

When you're 18 and looking at Colleges, you think you have to have all the answers. In reality, no one knows when they are 18 who they will be 10 years from then. If you don't know what you want your major to be don't be stressed out. Don't choose a major just to pick something or because it promises wealth. I did that. I chose Nursing because I knew it was a stable career. Three years later I realized I didn't love it and couldn't be a Nurse the rest of my life. I could believe that after my junior year of college, and all that hard work I was switching majors. I could have graduated already but I chose to pursue what I loved, not what I felt was most secure. It's scary to get out there and plan your whole life, but you have time. It's never too late to change your mind. You are your own person and you choose who you will be today, tomorrow, and forever. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Everything else will fall in to place if you're following your heart.

Just about personal growth, I guess I wish I would have known that being your own person is important to growing up and becoming someone who will make an impact. Messiah really encourages you to be an individual. I wish I had known that it's okay to be different. Also, college, especially Messiah College, is academically challenging. Don't expect to just slide on through the courses. The professors are going to push you to do your very best. If you don't put in the work, you won't succeed.

Our food! It's not mom's cooking, no, but as far as college food goes, the food here is pretty tasty. I think I also brag about our sports teams. They win nationals like every year! Soccer games are so fun at Messiah even if you're not really a huge sports fan. Also, everyone is so nice here. There is definitely a wide range of interests on campus, but everyone is nice and willing to get to know you if you just try.

Christina

Messiah College is a Christian college and students must sign a community covenant...no drinking, homosexuality, etc...before attending.

I would most likely choose a different school, speak my mind, and not depend on my college to fix whatever problems I have somethings you just have to do yourself.

The most frustrating thing about Messiah College is the lack of things to do and how close-minded students are.

Maha

Study hard, don't put it to last minute. Learn to read the material before class and take notes fast.

Someone who wants to put their faith and education together.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.