Mechanicsburg, PA
Messiah College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Messiah College

Lissette

The couple times i've visited Messiah there's thing home-y feeling to it. They're very welcoming and the students are very friendly.

To my High School Senior self I'd tell; SAVE MONEY, SAVE MONEY, SAVE MONEY!! Stop going on Ebay and buying those random headbands and accessories that you barely use anyways and SAVE! College is expensive, even those $10 you can save will be helpful for something else. Arrange your sleep schedule, having to rely on your roommate to wake you up the first couple months is terrible, so arrange it now or over the summer but DO IT! Also, go to yard sales, you never know, they might have that mini fridge or keurig you're going to need for college for a bargain at what you would get at Walmart or Target. The main idea is SAVE MONEY! As much as you can because college is expensive!

Unless you live 250 miles away from Messiah, you can't have your car on campus

Madeline

Small class sizes and major interaction with professors.

Small class sizes and major interaction with professors.

Don't worry so much about making friends or losing those you love here at home. Everything will be okay. Nothing will change except for your love and affection for those you have left here at home. While you may not talk to them everyday or see them everytime you come home, when you do see each other, it will be like nothing has changed. Don't be afraid to jump into things whole heartedly. If it doesn't work out, don't worry. You will find a way to make something work. You have more talent than you think and you will rise to the occasion when you are asked. Don't stress too much. You will succeed as long as you have God on your side.

Julie

The first and most important piece of advice I would give myself is to be more outgoing! The first month or so, as a college freshmen, everyone is looking to make friends. If you do not introduce yourself in the beginning, things may become awkward. Even if you are a shy person, try stepping out of your comfort zone. Hang out with your roommates, talk to the people on your floor and the people you sit near in class. College is the best time to talk with people your own age and experience new things. Do not be afraid, because everyone is a little nervous.

I love the activites they do offer for students. I enjoy going to Zumba, Powerhouse, soccer games, coffee house, and I love having dances both on and off campus so often!

Honestly, the most frustrating thing is probably the fact that you are required to get a meal plan when living in a dorm.

Joel

My biggest piece of advice would be to really research the program you are going into. Don't just pick a school because you like their football team or even just the feel of the campus. Find the cheapest school that is going to challenge you and that also has a reputation that will land you a job. In high school its hard to see the consequences of your college choice, but they are very real. It is importnat to think as an adult when making this choice. In addition, I'd recommend getting involved in the community you are based in. I volunteer in inner city Harrisburg and it is the most rewarding experience I've had in college and is great networking. Try to get off campus into the real world as much as possible. I promise you will not regret it.

Someone who wants to do alot of drinking. Also, I know many homosexual students feel uncomfortable here, unfortunately. The students are supportive of this community but the donors and thus the administration is not so much.

Phyllis

As a high school senior, i will advice myself to plan ahead of time to get the resources and finace that i need to go to college. I will do this by getting a part-time job during my junior year of high school so that i can have some money save for college. I will also advise myself to never wast time, not to be afriad to go to college. I will also advice myself to work hard, never give up, and belive in myself. I will also advise myself it is a good thing to go to college. it will bring me more opportunity, great future in life. I will also advise myself once i have an education , it will be with me for life and no one can take it away from me. I will also ask of school reimbursement at my job so it can help pay for my school. I will also advise myself to research alot of schools to see which programs the school offer. I will also advise myself to do volunteer work either in the hospital, or community that can help pay for college.

Jarrett

A Christ-centered learning environment that draws people who desire to grow in their faith, discern their profession, and nurture relations for life.

There is no need to worry because all incoming students are in the same boat, clueless regarding what is going on and what to expect. Further, when you transition into college life, you are not alone because vulnerability builds relations and creates community. It is important to be humble, open up and not be so guarded. Ask questions; do not try to figure everything out on your own. Embrace each opportunity that knocks at your door, enjoy these four years to the fullest because college is a once in a lifetime experience. Nurture relationships with professors and friends. Above all, fully appreciate this blessing and work diligently because not all individuals can attend college. A higher education is a privilege and with every privilege comes a responsibility. Take ownership for your decisions and make a positive difference in our world.

I wished that I had known more regarding the social climate and activities. Located in a rural area, the entertainment opportunities are limited and students primarily need to create their own fun. A student led board does their best to bring in live music, but these events are not frequent enough. Therefore, students support the seasonal sports teams or gather in smaller groups to jam, play cards, and fellowship. A car makes a great difference and gives the student the freedom to enjoy off-site venues.

Lisa

I'd tell myself to try to make my experience fun but productive and directed toward some area they are truly interested in, no matter what other people may think. To try to end high school with as few bad memories and trauma as possible. I'd explain to myself what happened to me and how I finally was able to rise above the bad times but that because of my bad decisions some experiences will stick with me forever. Standing up to what they believe in and what they know is right because they can't wait for someone else to do the right thing. I'd tell them to take initiative, do their best, speak up for what they need and stick with the winners. Really, stick with the winners. Find an activity that they really love and don't let themselves get bored. Keep it interesting, whatever that means for them and make sure to take care of themselves before trying to save everyone else. Life is hard so get used to it. Go into life knowing this and figure out a way to make life as enjoyable as possible during the times it's not hard.

Melody

Never believe that you already know the answer. It's easy to get fired up and form an opinion once you encounter that first liberal professor. Sit back and take everything in. Listen before speaking. You can't have an open mind without seriously considering another viewpoint and then reflecting on your own. A degree will get you a career, but an open mind will take you places.

I wish I had known how focused Messiah is on sprituality AND intellect. I feel that Messiah does not intend to sugarcoat things or indoctrinate me with a certain agenda. I had assumed that I wouldn't be getting a "real" education at a Christian college, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was only required to take 2 Christian classes, and they both actually opened my mind, rather than forcing things down my throat and making me more narrow-minded. I appreciate Messiah for its efforts to maintain a Christian campus while delivering an education on par with secular schools.

The pressure to find a "click" is very discouraging . The school does not make it very easy to sit alone - especially in the dining hall or at chapel. Chapel being forced (24 chapels a semester) is also miserable.

Olivia

Picture the next four years as a blank canvas, pure and white and waiting to be covered in brilliant color. You have the chance to repaint yourself however you want, leaving behind the things you disliked about yourself in high school and accentuating the things about yourself that you value. Be daring, assert yourself, wear a funny hat, dance to class, talk to people. Be kooky and loveable and confident because you are a beautiful person. Don't be afraid to open up to others, because chances are people are a lot more friendly than you think, and the sooner you make connections the sooner you will start to feel like you are at home. Continuing the painting metaphor, don't rush. Paint slowly and with great detail. Live every second to its fullest because college isn't going to last long. Go about your life with the intention of making memories. Take chances and never let an opportunity to try something new and fun slip through your fingers. Tell that cute boy you like him, go iceskating even though you don't know how, take walks in the rain without an umbrella, and keep a journal.

Messiah College is quite liberal, which I find to be a wonderful thing. I heard scary stories about curfews and gender segregation when considering a Christian school, but Messiah has none of that. Students are treated like responsible adults who are free to do what they want and are expected to answer for their own actions. It is a place where morality is supported but not crammed down one's throat, which makes it that much more appealing.

You are required to have at least three theologically-based classes in order to fulfill Messiah's particular gen-ed requirements. This can be difficult, especially if you are struggling to fit all your necessary classes into an eighteen-credit school year. Also, students are required to attend a designated number of chapels in order to be able to graduate. While I support the idea of chapel, I find it frustrating that missing a couple affects my academic standing.

Messiah College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.