Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Ashton

What makes the Missouri S&T unique is the courses that the students take. The campus is predominantly engineering majors, which means the majority of campus is taking/has taken the same courses you are in. Everyone is usually very helpful, as they know the amount of stress you are going through. Also, Missouri S&T has a high job placement for engineering majors. The career fair that takes place every semester is a great way to promote yourself or find a job because hundereds of engineering firms and companys come to our career fair to hire students.

Looking back on my senior year of high school, I can recall worrying over my future and how I would keep in touch with friends and family as I embarked on an unknown journey away from the ones who, up to that point, impacted my life the most. Now that I have experienced life after high school, I want to give my senior-in-high-school self some useful truths about college. The first truth I would tell myself is to learn good study habits. The transition into college will be tough, classes won’t always be easy, and good study habits can be the difference between how successful you are in classes. I would tell myself that yes, leaving your family and friends will be hard, but the friends you make in college will become some of the closest people to you. Lastly, I would tell myself that it is not necessary to know exactly what you want to do with your life when you haven’t even been exposed to all the opportunities available yet. See what is out there and what you enjoy, because finding a career that you love is the most important part of college.

The worst things about Missouri S&T is the lack of other opportunities. If someone decided to change majors, there is a limited amount of degrees offered here that are not STEM related. Also, Missouri S&T enrollment is made up of mostly males and a limited number of females.

Intelligent introverts.

Intelligent introverts.

College is a transitional phase between adolesence and adulthood. The sooner you realize this, the better. It will require a lot of work, a lot of forward looking, and a lot of focus. But keep the end goal in mind. All the things you complain about in high school are nothing compared to the problems you will face in college. The struggle will be real. However, you can and WILL succeed. You have a very supportive family standing behind you, watching as you climb the mountain of success. But there is a reason success stands at the top of a mountain and not at the bottom of a hill. You will feel down, but you just have to pick your head up and look back to where you came from and turn and face the world. You will make new friends and lose old ones. The only thing that can hold you back is yourself. Do not be afraid to ask for help! There is always someone available to help, you just have ro reach out and reap the benefits. College is about discovering your true potential, now go out there and explore, pioneer, fail, and then succeed!

Missouri University of Science and Technology is not called Missouri University of Engineering. Although it is very well known and renound for it's engineering degrees (and they are excellent), as a student pursuing a degree in Psychological Science I often get a bad wrap here. Students here are very practically, academically, and analytically focused. As am I. That is why I chose this school and enjoy it here. However, most of students here are not convinced that Psychology is a worthy field of science. I believe Psychology should be considered a STEM degree.

Brandon

You didn't have to work hard in high school, and everyone you know has told you that you're going to have to put in a lot of effort to keep up in college. Well, I'm here to tell you that I've already made it to the end of my first semester, and you will have to crack open that Algebra textbook (The very same class you thought you knew so well Junior year) far more often than I feel comfortable telling the past me. Buckle down dude, your first semester will be a light one, but you can definitely handle a heavy course load if you apply yourself. I would know, we're doing the maximum allotted credit amount next semester. Brace yourself dude, you're going to have a lot of fun in college. And leave the Letterman Jacket at home, you'll thank me when you're my age!

The availability of student programs for a wide range of interests that a student could possibly join. Ranging from building cars, professional societies, and even a skydiving club.

As with any STEM college, there is a bit of a language barrier between U.S. born students and some of our professors on campus. Other than this, most of our professors are very helpful and understanding.

Mallory

Missouri S&T is an engineering school where you're likely to have a job lined up before you graduate.

Our school is known for the awesome St. Pat's celebration and having a ton of STEM students.

My senior year I would have called myself "good at school." Notice I didn't say a good student. You see, in high school I could flip through my notes twice the night before a test and get an easy A. It came naturally and I didn't need to put forth much effort. I didn't become a good student until I got to college and was forced to learn to study. Honestly, I had no clue how to. I wish I had taken the time to go through the actual process of studying (even if I didn't need it). I would have found my first semester of college much less of a shock. Instead of being an excellent student at an average school, I had the brutal wakeup call of suddenly being average at an excellent school. I've found with working on campus transitioning high schoolers that it's the case with many, and sometimes realizing that truth is hard to handle. To all of you seniors out there: learn how to study and practice it often. Also, you're just as smart as you were in high school, just being measured against higher standards.

Benjamin

My classmates are typically quite out the outside, but inside have a great range of ideas and values.

Do not stress. Your college experiance will be great. You'll have time, you just have to learn to spend it wisely. If you're in your dorm doing homework and just can't figure it out, then take a break. If you have manage your time wisely then there will be time to finish it later. There is plenty of distractions around, and they can serve you well, as long as you don't get to caught up in them. Go ahead and go bowling on a Tuesday night, or golfing on a Wednesday afternoon. One important thing is to not skip out on your plans. Stick with what you decided to do that morning. Best way to do that is to make a list each morning of what you are going to accomplish that day, and be sure to do it! In college you will make many friends, whether you try to or not. Just look around the dorm on your floor, or maybe hang out in the lounge. If you need help, ask. Everyone loves to help, and show that they understand themselves. College doesn't have to be hard if you don't want it to.

Before I attended S&T, I wish I would have known more about the community. I would have like to have known the types of jobs that I could find around town (other than that of fast food restaurants.) I also wish I knew of better ways to fill my off days in Rolla. Believe it or not, there is not a whole lot to do around here.

Deanna

Do not be afraid to let go of high school. High school was amazing, with great teachers and the best group of friends that anyone could ask for, and it is extremely nerve wracking to think about having to leave this whole life behind in just a few short months. But, believe it or not, you will find a new group of friends that will quickly become your college family. No, you won't end up sitting alone in your dorm, as feared, but you will get to hang out with some truly amazing people every day. Sure, you will miss your old life at first, but moving on and starting anew will be much more beneficial to you as a person. You will finally be able to grow and figure out who you really want to be, free to discover the world for yourself. It is ok to move forth into a new chapter of life. Don't dwell on old memories; make room for new ones.

I really enjoy Missouri S&T, but one disadvantage about my school is its location. Rolla is not known for having much to do nearby. Being located in a small town does, however, reduce the amount of available distractions and helps individuals concentrate on their studies.

People that are willing to work hard on their schoolwork and concentrate on their studies would definately do well at Missouri S&T. The academics are somewhat challenging if the student is not willing to put forth the effort and show up to class. This is a great school to come to for science and engineering and, based on my experience, the professors really know the material and are extremely willing to help you with whatever you don't understand.

Gery

Get more scholarships and apply for a cheap school. The big schools are nice, but the cheaper, atleast for the first two years, the better.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the hidden fees associated with attending Missouri University of Science and Technology, although all schools probably have the same fees. I'm at a point where, if I don't come up with $2000, I won't be able to attend school here next semester. Hopefully I can, and, if I win this scholarship, it will help me overcome the challenges of paying for school.

The thing I brag about most when I talk about Missouri University of Science and Technology is their standard for success. The graduates that come out of this school really have a huge life ahead of them, and are prepared with everything they need to face the real world.

Brandon

Missouri Science and Technology is best known for a quality education at a cheap cost compared to other schools. Most employeers love to hire Rolla gradutes because they are good people, they work hard, and they are smart. Some things the school can improve on is student living

If I could go back I and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would further push going to communtiy college first. From seeing what other underclass men/women go through I would highly recommend going to community college first. School charge an outrages amount for food/living which is what I was able to avoid. Truely, I would not change anything if I could go back. I'm proud of all my decisions that have lead me up to this point. As of advise, I would tell myself to spend even more time with family because I sure do miss them. Being homesick happens to about every college student

I wish I would have known that Rolla didnt have an ice hockey rink.

William

The most important part of the transition to college life lies in recognizing and adapting to changes. This can be change in your environment, social life, academic workload, or anything else that has become part of your daily routine. Failing to adapt to change may cause anxiety and stress, which will cause your grades to take a hit. For example, going from life in a spacious room to sharing a small dorm with a stranger is a significant change in environment, and this can make it difficult to get work done. Overcoming this may mean leaving the dorm room for several hours a day to work with study groups, or it may mean planning times to do assignments alone in your room while your roommate is in class. During my first semester of college, I found it hard to concentrate in my room, so I eventually adjusted my routine and began working in the library. College requires more studying than high school, so find a place you can work comfortably. There will be change, and it is vital that you embrace it and find ways to become comfortable with it.

This school is very good with helping students to find jobs and internships to advance their career. It has a very high value-for-cost ratio in terms of return on investment, and there is a decent number of research opportunities.

Some of the campus community seems to emphasize alcohol consumption and activities which I prefer not to be a part of. There are plenty of people who do not participate, and it is not present everywhere, but it is definitely and clearly present.

Koobtsheej

I would tell my high school self to not forget the minor details of life. Especially in this generation of extreme fun and thrill seekers, we often travel the road of life for the next big rush. Everything we do, we are constantly seeking that adrnaline rush. Whether it is winning a championship or scoring the highest grade in class or being first chair in band, we are constantly searching for that one awesome experience. In doing so, we often overlook the small details in life that leads us to that point. We often rush to grab a burger or pizza instead of eating a healthy meal. We stay late into the middle of the night instead of getting a full night's rest. These bad habits eventually catches up to us in the end, and we find ourselves physically out of shape, and mentally drained because we neglected the minor details that will allow us to be sharper physically and mentally. Our young body is capable of such neglect, but like any living being, the neglect can only be tolerated to certain points. Take care of the little things in life, and they will take care of you back.

I chose Missouri University S&T because it is one of the best engineering schools in the nation. It is ranked in the top 10 in ROI (Return On Investment) in your education; even above Stanford! The other advantage that Missouri S&T offers is one of the top student-teacher ratio. I believe this is extremely important because haaving easy access to your professors will make a difference in your studies. Third on my list, I get to continue to play football in college! What more can I ask for at this point in my life?

My freshman year in high school did not prepare me for the Sophomore wall that I ran into. I wished that I had learn to managed my time better and prioritized better. Academics and sports were a big part of my life, but I wish I was able to do more volunteering. I did some volunteering, but I felt like I could have done more. Performing on the athletic stage gave me an opportunity to be more influential to younger children, and I could have used that to be a more visible role model for the younger children.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.