Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Benjamin

My classmates are typically quite out the outside, but inside have a great range of ideas and values.

Do not stress. Your college experiance will be great. You'll have time, you just have to learn to spend it wisely. If you're in your dorm doing homework and just can't figure it out, then take a break. If you have manage your time wisely then there will be time to finish it later. There is plenty of distractions around, and they can serve you well, as long as you don't get to caught up in them. Go ahead and go bowling on a Tuesday night, or golfing on a Wednesday afternoon. One important thing is to not skip out on your plans. Stick with what you decided to do that morning. Best way to do that is to make a list each morning of what you are going to accomplish that day, and be sure to do it! In college you will make many friends, whether you try to or not. Just look around the dorm on your floor, or maybe hang out in the lounge. If you need help, ask. Everyone loves to help, and show that they understand themselves. College doesn't have to be hard if you don't want it to.

Before I attended S&T, I wish I would have known more about the community. I would have like to have known the types of jobs that I could find around town (other than that of fast food restaurants.) I also wish I knew of better ways to fill my off days in Rolla. Believe it or not, there is not a whole lot to do around here.

Deanna

Do not be afraid to let go of high school. High school was amazing, with great teachers and the best group of friends that anyone could ask for, and it is extremely nerve wracking to think about having to leave this whole life behind in just a few short months. But, believe it or not, you will find a new group of friends that will quickly become your college family. No, you won't end up sitting alone in your dorm, as feared, but you will get to hang out with some truly amazing people every day. Sure, you will miss your old life at first, but moving on and starting anew will be much more beneficial to you as a person. You will finally be able to grow and figure out who you really want to be, free to discover the world for yourself. It is ok to move forth into a new chapter of life. Don't dwell on old memories; make room for new ones.

I really enjoy Missouri S&T, but one disadvantage about my school is its location. Rolla is not known for having much to do nearby. Being located in a small town does, however, reduce the amount of available distractions and helps individuals concentrate on their studies.

People that are willing to work hard on their schoolwork and concentrate on their studies would definately do well at Missouri S&T. The academics are somewhat challenging if the student is not willing to put forth the effort and show up to class. This is a great school to come to for science and engineering and, based on my experience, the professors really know the material and are extremely willing to help you with whatever you don't understand.

Gery

Get more scholarships and apply for a cheap school. The big schools are nice, but the cheaper, atleast for the first two years, the better.

The thing I brag about most when I talk about Missouri University of Science and Technology is their standard for success. The graduates that come out of this school really have a huge life ahead of them, and are prepared with everything they need to face the real world.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the hidden fees associated with attending Missouri University of Science and Technology, although all schools probably have the same fees. I'm at a point where, if I don't come up with $2000, I won't be able to attend school here next semester. Hopefully I can, and, if I win this scholarship, it will help me overcome the challenges of paying for school.

Brandon

Missouri Science and Technology is best known for a quality education at a cheap cost compared to other schools. Most employeers love to hire Rolla gradutes because they are good people, they work hard, and they are smart. Some things the school can improve on is student living

If I could go back I and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would further push going to communtiy college first. From seeing what other underclass men/women go through I would highly recommend going to community college first. School charge an outrages amount for food/living which is what I was able to avoid. Truely, I would not change anything if I could go back. I'm proud of all my decisions that have lead me up to this point. As of advise, I would tell myself to spend even more time with family because I sure do miss them. Being homesick happens to about every college student

I wish I would have known that Rolla didnt have an ice hockey rink.

William

The most important part of the transition to college life lies in recognizing and adapting to changes. This can be change in your environment, social life, academic workload, or anything else that has become part of your daily routine. Failing to adapt to change may cause anxiety and stress, which will cause your grades to take a hit. For example, going from life in a spacious room to sharing a small dorm with a stranger is a significant change in environment, and this can make it difficult to get work done. Overcoming this may mean leaving the dorm room for several hours a day to work with study groups, or it may mean planning times to do assignments alone in your room while your roommate is in class. During my first semester of college, I found it hard to concentrate in my room, so I eventually adjusted my routine and began working in the library. College requires more studying than high school, so find a place you can work comfortably. There will be change, and it is vital that you embrace it and find ways to become comfortable with it.

This school is very good with helping students to find jobs and internships to advance their career. It has a very high value-for-cost ratio in terms of return on investment, and there is a decent number of research opportunities.

Some of the campus community seems to emphasize alcohol consumption and activities which I prefer not to be a part of. There are plenty of people who do not participate, and it is not present everywhere, but it is definitely and clearly present.

Koobtsheej

I would tell my high school self to not forget the minor details of life. Especially in this generation of extreme fun and thrill seekers, we often travel the road of life for the next big rush. Everything we do, we are constantly seeking that adrnaline rush. Whether it is winning a championship or scoring the highest grade in class or being first chair in band, we are constantly searching for that one awesome experience. In doing so, we often overlook the small details in life that leads us to that point. We often rush to grab a burger or pizza instead of eating a healthy meal. We stay late into the middle of the night instead of getting a full night's rest. These bad habits eventually catches up to us in the end, and we find ourselves physically out of shape, and mentally drained because we neglected the minor details that will allow us to be sharper physically and mentally. Our young body is capable of such neglect, but like any living being, the neglect can only be tolerated to certain points. Take care of the little things in life, and they will take care of you back.

I chose Missouri University S&T because it is one of the best engineering schools in the nation. It is ranked in the top 10 in ROI (Return On Investment) in your education; even above Stanford! The other advantage that Missouri S&T offers is one of the top student-teacher ratio. I believe this is extremely important because haaving easy access to your professors will make a difference in your studies. Third on my list, I get to continue to play football in college! What more can I ask for at this point in my life?

My freshman year in high school did not prepare me for the Sophomore wall that I ran into. I wished that I had learn to managed my time better and prioritized better. Academics and sports were a big part of my life, but I wish I was able to do more volunteering. I did some volunteering, but I felt like I could have done more. Performing on the athletic stage gave me an opportunity to be more influential to younger children, and I could have used that to be a more visible role model for the younger children.

Rebecca

High School Self, The most important key to succeeding in college, is make a goal orientated plan and stick with it. The best advice I ever received was “You can accomplish anything you set your mind too, with hard work and dedication anything is possible.” Never give up! Always work hard, and try to understand everything with the best of your ability. High school is the easiest part of schooling and don’t take anything for granted, obtain all the information you can, create efficient study skills, and build intermediate work skills. Make sure you have a strong support system because they are your backbone for when you want to give up (Trust me, it gets HARD). After getting settled into the college lifestyle don’t get caught up in the social aspect of making friends (that comes with joining organizations), get involved, build a support system, study hard and make lots of network connections with in your first years. College is the best years of your life, but only because you take everything you learn and apply it to the rest of your life. So have fun, but not too much fun!

The best thing about Missouri S&T would be that the campus has over 200 recognized student organizations, 15 of those being design teams. The design teams are more than just for social reasons, it gives team building skills, leadership, communication, organization, hands on experience, budgeting, planning, and networking with the community, professors and other companies. It’s a great way to get involved while gaining real world skills.

The number one thing that I wish I would have known before attending Missouri S&T, would be that it is more beneficial to have gone straight to Missouri S&T. As a transfer student from a community college, after transferring realized I was behind in classes because my community college did not offer all the lower level special classes that Missouri S&T offers during those first two years.

Randall

If I could go back in time, I would say to forget the spring job and continue going to track to attempt for a scholarship for college. I would also say to focus more on achieving a 4.0 GPA, because it was definately possible. With those two things accomplished, the struggle to get financial aid and other scholarships may have been easier. Rather than putting down the book for the personal enjoyment of video games, focus on the book. If school work was taken a little more seriously in high school you could've also taken more college credit classes in order to be further ahead in your college career. Use sports and studying in order to further your chances for more financial aid to help you to be more successful in the future.

The best thing about Missouri S&T is acceptance. No matter what the degree is or what you are like, it is easy to make friends. On a personal note, I am friends with a potroleum engineer, a computer scientist, and I'm a business management systems major. All of the degreees are very different, but yet we are tremendous friends. The education at the school is also tremendous. The teachers are extremely helpful.

A hard working and studious person looking for an academic challenge. Someone who is highly motivated to succeed in school.

Erica

I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes as I could. I would say to do summer school and keep preparing for college study wise. I would force myself to fill out more scholarships, and try to be more involved in highschool to prepare me for more time management skills. I would ask myself what I really enjoyed doing and make sure that I could make a career out of it. Making sure that I am happy and enjoy what I do will make college and life much easier.

I wish I would have checked more into what classes they would of accepted from my high school. I wish I could of gone into college with more credits to have a little more of a feel of how college classes would be. I personally feel that my high school classes did not prepare me for college classes.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend Missouri S&T would be one that truly doesn't want to learn. There are so many learning experiences that the college offers that other colleges don't offer (random miners). If someone is wanting the big frat/sority they would not get that in Rolla. We have them but there not as big.

Tasmia

One of the best features on campus is the Student Design and Experiential Learning Center (SDELC) which houses most of the Design Teams on campus. It provides an incredible environment for the design teams to collaborate and work on their projects. By interacting with each other, students learn to operate machines and gather experience in actual engineering.

My High School self would spend hours thinking about what college would be like, anxious about what lied ahead of her. I would firstly ask her to calm down because Missouri S&T turned out to be much better than I had expected. I was anxious about my housing situation and whether or not I would be able to make friends. Fortunately, I immediately fell in love with the community I was placed in, becoming friends with the people on my floor pretty quickly. I would also ask my High School self to start getting into the habit of doing things on time. In order to stay on top of all the work in college, you have to work regularly and diligently. College courses, especially engineering courses can take up a lot of time and its important to stay organized. Another huge concern I used to have was becoming incredibly homesick. Although I do miss home, college has a lot of activity going on that keeps me busy and doesn't let me drown in my own tears. Joining a design team has kept me busy and is giving me a great experience. There's nothing to worry about!

Mostly about my design team and the type of work we do. My design team (Mars Rover) operates very much like an actual engineering firm and so the experience I'm getting in this team will be very helpful in the real world.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.