Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

William

The most important part of the transition to college life lies in recognizing and adapting to changes. This can be change in your environment, social life, academic workload, or anything else that has become part of your daily routine. Failing to adapt to change may cause anxiety and stress, which will cause your grades to take a hit. For example, going from life in a spacious room to sharing a small dorm with a stranger is a significant change in environment, and this can make it difficult to get work done. Overcoming this may mean leaving the dorm room for several hours a day to work with study groups, or it may mean planning times to do assignments alone in your room while your roommate is in class. During my first semester of college, I found it hard to concentrate in my room, so I eventually adjusted my routine and began working in the library. College requires more studying than high school, so find a place you can work comfortably. There will be change, and it is vital that you embrace it and find ways to become comfortable with it.

This school is very good with helping students to find jobs and internships to advance their career. It has a very high value-for-cost ratio in terms of return on investment, and there is a decent number of research opportunities.

Some of the campus community seems to emphasize alcohol consumption and activities which I prefer not to be a part of. There are plenty of people who do not participate, and it is not present everywhere, but it is definitely and clearly present.

Koobtsheej

I would tell my high school self to not forget the minor details of life. Especially in this generation of extreme fun and thrill seekers, we often travel the road of life for the next big rush. Everything we do, we are constantly seeking that adrnaline rush. Whether it is winning a championship or scoring the highest grade in class or being first chair in band, we are constantly searching for that one awesome experience. In doing so, we often overlook the small details in life that leads us to that point. We often rush to grab a burger or pizza instead of eating a healthy meal. We stay late into the middle of the night instead of getting a full night's rest. These bad habits eventually catches up to us in the end, and we find ourselves physically out of shape, and mentally drained because we neglected the minor details that will allow us to be sharper physically and mentally. Our young body is capable of such neglect, but like any living being, the neglect can only be tolerated to certain points. Take care of the little things in life, and they will take care of you back.

I chose Missouri University S&T because it is one of the best engineering schools in the nation. It is ranked in the top 10 in ROI (Return On Investment) in your education; even above Stanford! The other advantage that Missouri S&T offers is one of the top student-teacher ratio. I believe this is extremely important because haaving easy access to your professors will make a difference in your studies. Third on my list, I get to continue to play football in college! What more can I ask for at this point in my life?

My freshman year in high school did not prepare me for the Sophomore wall that I ran into. I wished that I had learn to managed my time better and prioritized better. Academics and sports were a big part of my life, but I wish I was able to do more volunteering. I did some volunteering, but I felt like I could have done more. Performing on the athletic stage gave me an opportunity to be more influential to younger children, and I could have used that to be a more visible role model for the younger children.

Rebecca

High School Self, The most important key to succeeding in college, is make a goal orientated plan and stick with it. The best advice I ever received was “You can accomplish anything you set your mind too, with hard work and dedication anything is possible.” Never give up! Always work hard, and try to understand everything with the best of your ability. High school is the easiest part of schooling and don’t take anything for granted, obtain all the information you can, create efficient study skills, and build intermediate work skills. Make sure you have a strong support system because they are your backbone for when you want to give up (Trust me, it gets HARD). After getting settled into the college lifestyle don’t get caught up in the social aspect of making friends (that comes with joining organizations), get involved, build a support system, study hard and make lots of network connections with in your first years. College is the best years of your life, but only because you take everything you learn and apply it to the rest of your life. So have fun, but not too much fun!

The best thing about Missouri S&T would be that the campus has over 200 recognized student organizations, 15 of those being design teams. The design teams are more than just for social reasons, it gives team building skills, leadership, communication, organization, hands on experience, budgeting, planning, and networking with the community, professors and other companies. It’s a great way to get involved while gaining real world skills.

The number one thing that I wish I would have known before attending Missouri S&T, would be that it is more beneficial to have gone straight to Missouri S&T. As a transfer student from a community college, after transferring realized I was behind in classes because my community college did not offer all the lower level special classes that Missouri S&T offers during those first two years.

Randall

If I could go back in time, I would say to forget the spring job and continue going to track to attempt for a scholarship for college. I would also say to focus more on achieving a 4.0 GPA, because it was definately possible. With those two things accomplished, the struggle to get financial aid and other scholarships may have been easier. Rather than putting down the book for the personal enjoyment of video games, focus on the book. If school work was taken a little more seriously in high school you could've also taken more college credit classes in order to be further ahead in your college career. Use sports and studying in order to further your chances for more financial aid to help you to be more successful in the future.

The best thing about Missouri S&T is acceptance. No matter what the degree is or what you are like, it is easy to make friends. On a personal note, I am friends with a potroleum engineer, a computer scientist, and I'm a business management systems major. All of the degreees are very different, but yet we are tremendous friends. The education at the school is also tremendous. The teachers are extremely helpful.

A hard working and studious person looking for an academic challenge. Someone who is highly motivated to succeed in school.

Erica

I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes as I could. I would say to do summer school and keep preparing for college study wise. I would force myself to fill out more scholarships, and try to be more involved in highschool to prepare me for more time management skills. I would ask myself what I really enjoyed doing and make sure that I could make a career out of it. Making sure that I am happy and enjoy what I do will make college and life much easier.

I wish I would have checked more into what classes they would of accepted from my high school. I wish I could of gone into college with more credits to have a little more of a feel of how college classes would be. I personally feel that my high school classes did not prepare me for college classes.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend Missouri S&T would be one that truly doesn't want to learn. There are so many learning experiences that the college offers that other colleges don't offer (random miners). If someone is wanting the big frat/sority they would not get that in Rolla. We have them but there not as big.

Tasmia

One of the best features on campus is the Student Design and Experiential Learning Center (SDELC) which houses most of the Design Teams on campus. It provides an incredible environment for the design teams to collaborate and work on their projects. By interacting with each other, students learn to operate machines and gather experience in actual engineering.

My High School self would spend hours thinking about what college would be like, anxious about what lied ahead of her. I would firstly ask her to calm down because Missouri S&T turned out to be much better than I had expected. I was anxious about my housing situation and whether or not I would be able to make friends. Fortunately, I immediately fell in love with the community I was placed in, becoming friends with the people on my floor pretty quickly. I would also ask my High School self to start getting into the habit of doing things on time. In order to stay on top of all the work in college, you have to work regularly and diligently. College courses, especially engineering courses can take up a lot of time and its important to stay organized. Another huge concern I used to have was becoming incredibly homesick. Although I do miss home, college has a lot of activity going on that keeps me busy and doesn't let me drown in my own tears. Joining a design team has kept me busy and is giving me a great experience. There's nothing to worry about!

Mostly about my design team and the type of work we do. My design team (Mars Rover) operates very much like an actual engineering firm and so the experience I'm getting in this team will be very helpful in the real world.

Robert

My classmates are intelligent, helpful, friendly, and scientifically minded; they all have similar interests in science, engineering, and math, which makes it very easy to find things in common with them.

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself as a high school senior, I would advise one thing: stop worrying. I spent my senior year of high school in anxiety, stressing over fears of college - how difficult it would be to succeed academically, meet new friends, and live in a new place away from home. I can still remember my last week before I left for college; I felt extremely terrified, as if my life was about to end, and I was barely able to sleep. When I finally moved into my dormitory and my parents left, I was lost; I was alone in a foreign world without any friends. This negative attitude continued for several months; I barely spoke to anyone. However, as time progressed, I began to realize that college isn't so bad unless you make it that way. There was nothing keeping me from having a good experience except for myself and my high school opinions that accompanied me. I changed my attitude, and I became involved in extracurricular activities, making friends. So, to prevent the bad first impressions of college, I would advise my high school self to stop worrying.

The worst thing about S&T is ratio of boys to girls. There is a 3:1 boy to girl ratio. This makes it difficult for male college students to find girlfriends. This also reflects the unfortunate reality that women are not being encouraged to enter the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields of study in college.

Mason

I remember the first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. I remeber thinking, "I'm READY", had my pencils, crayons, scissors, and mind by me. Then I walked through those exspansive metal doors to a world unknown, I wasn't ready! I saw hundrends of other boys and girls who like me, didnt know a single face there. Terrified is the only word that could describe my state of mind, and body. I quaked and slowly walked, and then tears began to flow down the slope of my innocent cheek... Fastforward to walking into my first lecture at University, and I can tell no difference. If I could give my senior, niave, self one word of advice it would be, "RELAX!". College is going to be walking into a world unknown, but that world wears a mask. Lift that mask, though, and the endless light of oppurtunity will blind you. Keep your chin up, because just like those first days kindergarten when you thought you weren't ready, you actually were.

When I consider the strengths of Missouri University of Science and Technology, three words come to mind: focus, oppurtunity, and knowledge. Missouri S&T is the most STEM focussed school in the state of Missouri. Oppurtunity is a disease here, and infects everyone who survives the 4 years. Professors and faculty are extremely knowledgable in their fields, and well communicate their knowledge to students. Combine all of these aspects and you get a University that produces intellectual, strong, and focussed citizens.

The codition of Missouri S&T is to say lack luster. First of all, there is not enough space for the amount of students on campus. This includes dinning halls, on-campus living, and classrooms. Secondly, students are very competivtive, which causes a huge deal of stress. Lastly, financial aid is hard to come by, even if you have an excellent GPA.I hope that future renevations and policy changes are in store for the University.

Bob

Design teams, frats, sororities, kmnr.

Design teams, frats, sororities, kmnr.

The academics at this school in my opinion are good, at least later on, some of the classes are bullshit, especially the intro classes, which are harder than the later classes,. but there are exceptions. THe classes can be annoying and tough, but theres a lot of help available. THe academics really outweigh everything else like others say, and I pretty much agree, the school is pretty insular in a lot of ways, its pretty much all about engineering, go to class, study, get a job, other areas are pretty much either half assed or ignored. Class sizes are pretty small, you pretty much see the same people around all the time, after starting your major. The classes aren't as bad as people think, it justs takes understanding the material, and then practicing it, people often make a big deal about the classes, even though they are doable, most of them that is, their are some classes here that are really hardd to the point you have to spend a lot of ur time studying. Pretty much though, academics hasn't been been too bad, its pretty either really laid back or really really busy. Its laid back most of the time when there isn't tests during a week or something, also cuz your homework isn't due everyday later on, but still a lot of your time will be spent studying though if you want to get good grades. You actually learn stuff in classes for your major, especially if you dont know much.

Payton

That is simple; I would tell myself to find some way to get into a better high school. I grew up in small town Missouri practically an hour and a half away from any major city. Even though I took the hardest classes available in my school and graduated Valedictorian of my class, I was extremely ill-prepared. My school didn't even have a basic trigonometry or a full calculus class. It was a complete joke. I practically wasted 4 years of my life getting held back by my school system. My parents would have loved to have gotten me out of there if it would’ve been finically reachable. My first two semesters at Missouri S&T were horrible when it came to classwork. I spent nearly every week night with a tutor or study session with others. I have been playing extreme catch up my whole career at college. It has been a struggle but in the end it will be worth it, and I will do whatever I have to make it.

There really isn't a worst part. The school work is extremely difficult but that is expected due to being an engineering school. Besides that there isn't much I can complain about.

The Career Opportunities and Employer Relations Office is what I would brag about the most. This part of my University is a great organization, its co-op and internship program. It allows students to get great experience in the engineering field. Our Career fair has 200 plus employers at it ever semester there just for engineers!

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.