Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Rebecca

High School Self, The most important key to succeeding in college, is make a goal orientated plan and stick with it. The best advice I ever received was “You can accomplish anything you set your mind too, with hard work and dedication anything is possible.” Never give up! Always work hard, and try to understand everything with the best of your ability. High school is the easiest part of schooling and don’t take anything for granted, obtain all the information you can, create efficient study skills, and build intermediate work skills. Make sure you have a strong support system because they are your backbone for when you want to give up (Trust me, it gets HARD). After getting settled into the college lifestyle don’t get caught up in the social aspect of making friends (that comes with joining organizations), get involved, build a support system, study hard and make lots of network connections with in your first years. College is the best years of your life, but only because you take everything you learn and apply it to the rest of your life. So have fun, but not too much fun!

The best thing about Missouri S&T would be that the campus has over 200 recognized student organizations, 15 of those being design teams. The design teams are more than just for social reasons, it gives team building skills, leadership, communication, organization, hands on experience, budgeting, planning, and networking with the community, professors and other companies. It’s a great way to get involved while gaining real world skills.

The number one thing that I wish I would have known before attending Missouri S&T, would be that it is more beneficial to have gone straight to Missouri S&T. As a transfer student from a community college, after transferring realized I was behind in classes because my community college did not offer all the lower level special classes that Missouri S&T offers during those first two years.

Randall

If I could go back in time, I would say to forget the spring job and continue going to track to attempt for a scholarship for college. I would also say to focus more on achieving a 4.0 GPA, because it was definately possible. With those two things accomplished, the struggle to get financial aid and other scholarships may have been easier. Rather than putting down the book for the personal enjoyment of video games, focus on the book. If school work was taken a little more seriously in high school you could've also taken more college credit classes in order to be further ahead in your college career. Use sports and studying in order to further your chances for more financial aid to help you to be more successful in the future.

The best thing about Missouri S&T is acceptance. No matter what the degree is or what you are like, it is easy to make friends. On a personal note, I am friends with a potroleum engineer, a computer scientist, and I'm a business management systems major. All of the degreees are very different, but yet we are tremendous friends. The education at the school is also tremendous. The teachers are extremely helpful.

A hard working and studious person looking for an academic challenge. Someone who is highly motivated to succeed in school.

Erica

I would tell myself to take as many college credit classes as I could. I would say to do summer school and keep preparing for college study wise. I would force myself to fill out more scholarships, and try to be more involved in highschool to prepare me for more time management skills. I would ask myself what I really enjoyed doing and make sure that I could make a career out of it. Making sure that I am happy and enjoy what I do will make college and life much easier.

I wish I would have checked more into what classes they would of accepted from my high school. I wish I could of gone into college with more credits to have a little more of a feel of how college classes would be. I personally feel that my high school classes did not prepare me for college classes.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend Missouri S&T would be one that truly doesn't want to learn. There are so many learning experiences that the college offers that other colleges don't offer (random miners). If someone is wanting the big frat/sority they would not get that in Rolla. We have them but there not as big.

Tasmia

One of the best features on campus is the Student Design and Experiential Learning Center (SDELC) which houses most of the Design Teams on campus. It provides an incredible environment for the design teams to collaborate and work on their projects. By interacting with each other, students learn to operate machines and gather experience in actual engineering.

My High School self would spend hours thinking about what college would be like, anxious about what lied ahead of her. I would firstly ask her to calm down because Missouri S&T turned out to be much better than I had expected. I was anxious about my housing situation and whether or not I would be able to make friends. Fortunately, I immediately fell in love with the community I was placed in, becoming friends with the people on my floor pretty quickly. I would also ask my High School self to start getting into the habit of doing things on time. In order to stay on top of all the work in college, you have to work regularly and diligently. College courses, especially engineering courses can take up a lot of time and its important to stay organized. Another huge concern I used to have was becoming incredibly homesick. Although I do miss home, college has a lot of activity going on that keeps me busy and doesn't let me drown in my own tears. Joining a design team has kept me busy and is giving me a great experience. There's nothing to worry about!

Mostly about my design team and the type of work we do. My design team (Mars Rover) operates very much like an actual engineering firm and so the experience I'm getting in this team will be very helpful in the real world.

Robert

My classmates are intelligent, helpful, friendly, and scientifically minded; they all have similar interests in science, engineering, and math, which makes it very easy to find things in common with them.

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself as a high school senior, I would advise one thing: stop worrying. I spent my senior year of high school in anxiety, stressing over fears of college - how difficult it would be to succeed academically, meet new friends, and live in a new place away from home. I can still remember my last week before I left for college; I felt extremely terrified, as if my life was about to end, and I was barely able to sleep. When I finally moved into my dormitory and my parents left, I was lost; I was alone in a foreign world without any friends. This negative attitude continued for several months; I barely spoke to anyone. However, as time progressed, I began to realize that college isn't so bad unless you make it that way. There was nothing keeping me from having a good experience except for myself and my high school opinions that accompanied me. I changed my attitude, and I became involved in extracurricular activities, making friends. So, to prevent the bad first impressions of college, I would advise my high school self to stop worrying.

The worst thing about S&T is ratio of boys to girls. There is a 3:1 boy to girl ratio. This makes it difficult for male college students to find girlfriends. This also reflects the unfortunate reality that women are not being encouraged to enter the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields of study in college.

Mason

I remember the first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. I remeber thinking, "I'm READY", had my pencils, crayons, scissors, and mind by me. Then I walked through those exspansive metal doors to a world unknown, I wasn't ready! I saw hundrends of other boys and girls who like me, didnt know a single face there. Terrified is the only word that could describe my state of mind, and body. I quaked and slowly walked, and then tears began to flow down the slope of my innocent cheek... Fastforward to walking into my first lecture at University, and I can tell no difference. If I could give my senior, niave, self one word of advice it would be, "RELAX!". College is going to be walking into a world unknown, but that world wears a mask. Lift that mask, though, and the endless light of oppurtunity will blind you. Keep your chin up, because just like those first days kindergarten when you thought you weren't ready, you actually were.

When I consider the strengths of Missouri University of Science and Technology, three words come to mind: focus, oppurtunity, and knowledge. Missouri S&T is the most STEM focussed school in the state of Missouri. Oppurtunity is a disease here, and infects everyone who survives the 4 years. Professors and faculty are extremely knowledgable in their fields, and well communicate their knowledge to students. Combine all of these aspects and you get a University that produces intellectual, strong, and focussed citizens.

The codition of Missouri S&T is to say lack luster. First of all, there is not enough space for the amount of students on campus. This includes dinning halls, on-campus living, and classrooms. Secondly, students are very competivtive, which causes a huge deal of stress. Lastly, financial aid is hard to come by, even if you have an excellent GPA.I hope that future renevations and policy changes are in store for the University.

Bob

Design teams, frats, sororities, kmnr.

Design teams, frats, sororities, kmnr.

The academics at this school in my opinion are good, at least later on, some of the classes are bullshit, especially the intro classes, which are harder than the later classes,. but there are exceptions. THe classes can be annoying and tough, but theres a lot of help available. THe academics really outweigh everything else like others say, and I pretty much agree, the school is pretty insular in a lot of ways, its pretty much all about engineering, go to class, study, get a job, other areas are pretty much either half assed or ignored. Class sizes are pretty small, you pretty much see the same people around all the time, after starting your major. The classes aren't as bad as people think, it justs takes understanding the material, and then practicing it, people often make a big deal about the classes, even though they are doable, most of them that is, their are some classes here that are really hardd to the point you have to spend a lot of ur time studying. Pretty much though, academics hasn't been been too bad, its pretty either really laid back or really really busy. Its laid back most of the time when there isn't tests during a week or something, also cuz your homework isn't due everyday later on, but still a lot of your time will be spent studying though if you want to get good grades. You actually learn stuff in classes for your major, especially if you dont know much.

Payton

That is simple; I would tell myself to find some way to get into a better high school. I grew up in small town Missouri practically an hour and a half away from any major city. Even though I took the hardest classes available in my school and graduated Valedictorian of my class, I was extremely ill-prepared. My school didn't even have a basic trigonometry or a full calculus class. It was a complete joke. I practically wasted 4 years of my life getting held back by my school system. My parents would have loved to have gotten me out of there if it would’ve been finically reachable. My first two semesters at Missouri S&T were horrible when it came to classwork. I spent nearly every week night with a tutor or study session with others. I have been playing extreme catch up my whole career at college. It has been a struggle but in the end it will be worth it, and I will do whatever I have to make it.

There really isn't a worst part. The school work is extremely difficult but that is expected due to being an engineering school. Besides that there isn't much I can complain about.

The Career Opportunities and Employer Relations Office is what I would brag about the most. This part of my University is a great organization, its co-op and internship program. It allows students to get great experience in the engineering field. Our Career fair has 200 plus employers at it ever semester there just for engineers!

Spencer

Well, first off I would explain to myself the extreme importance of a college education. Then I would say that not studying and playing all the time won't cut it and will not get me anywhere in life. Aslo, don't trust anyone, almost seventy percent of the people you will meet aren't trustworthy at all. Get to know your teachers, if you show them you are interested in their class, they will take interest in you and your needs. Don't be afraid to ask for help, because without it you won't live up to your full potential. Ask questions in class even though you'll feel stupid, because almost everyone else is just as lost as you are and have the same question. Don't cheat, it's not worth it's not worth the ramifications you'll experience if caught. When I say cheating, I mean being a push over and letting your buddy copy your work, but also copying others work. Plan our your days, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Never go home until you have finished everyting for the day, other wise it won't get done.

It's located in a small town that doesn't have a whole lot of nice resturants.

Person that likes to do the minimal amount of work to get by.

Alexis

A school with a reputation for being extremely tough but with a staff and administration that will do anything to help you overcome barriers and be succesful.

Despite the fact that I was a senior only last year, high school still seems like an eternity ago. If I traveled back in time to talk to the naive high school senior version of myself, there would be too much to say but two things stand out in my mind. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not be afraid if I actually start thinking like my mother. My mom always told me to ask questions and during this year I have suddenly realized what she meant. The questions I have asked this year have gotten me better grades, less stressful schedules, and some amazing friends and I will be forever in my mothers debt because of it. The second thing would involve my sister. I would make my past self find my twin sister and I would tell both of them that being apart in college would only bring them closer. I would tell myself that I shouldn't be afraid to make new friends, lose old ones, and even fall in love without her because it's part of growing up and my sister would always be a phone call away. These lessons have made college amazing.

During my first year at college it has become apparent that as students we are diverse in how we have been prepared in highschool. Looking back on my first year of college, I realize that I have been slowly learning that in college you shouldn't compare yourself to others, as long as you learn to move forward with determination you can be successful. I started out at Missouri S&T in a lower math class than I had expected and I wish somebody had told me to just be proud of what I personally had accomplished.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.