Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Lindsey

My classmates at Missouri S&T are intelligent and ambitious, but we also like to relax and have fun sometimes.

If I could go back in time and advise my younger self, I would tell myself to do a few different things. The first would be to take more dual-credit classes in high school. I transferred in 15 hours from high school work, but I know I could have taken more that would have helped in college. I would also tell myself that college is a place of freedom, which is great, but that freedom comes with a lot of responsibilities. I learned very quickly my first semester that I was going to have to study a whole lot more than I did in high school. I realized I could not just skim over my notes and then be ready for an exam, so I would tell my younger self to take studying in high school a little more seriously. The final thing I would tell my past self is that it is all going to work out. Dorms aren't as bad as I thought they would be, classes are hard, but not outrageous, and friends are easily made if you just step out of your comfort zone a bit.

Adrienne

I would like to tell my self that if you think your social life is going to be abruptly altered in college and that you can remake yourself in college; you are wrong. Yes, people change their values in college but the way you acted in highschool is only almost magnified in college. Also I would tell myself to remember that I am there in college to study. I only say this because I should not have picked a college based on sports opportunities. You will only be playing soccer for 5 more years max. Your future is what you do in the class room. Although it may seem as though soccer is your whole world your grades are what get you the career. I would also tell myself as much as I hated high school: not to forget my highschool friends because when your college friends become annoying you are going to want someone to talk to that is not your parents, and you will need them.

Don't ever think that in coming to this school if you were the smartest in high school that it will be the same here. There will be people smarter than you. Also they never curve grades. and you don;t ever get to use a calculator in math class.

A student who would fit in best at MS&T would be a closet nerd. To be quite honest you should also be interested in persuing an engineering degree so that you will be taking classes with your friends. Almost everyone attending this school is an engineering major.

Please do not wait until the last minute to start writing your first speech. I know it seems as if it won't matter in the long run, but bad habits are hard to break. I promise the world does not come to an end because your second Chemistry grade is not what you will want it to be. You will get through it, and you will be thankful that your professor pushed you to try harder than you ever thought you could. Talk to the people who sit around you. You are going to need them to remind you of what is really important: giving one hundred percent at all times. Make sure you are present for all the little moments. Before you notice it, two years have passed. I told you it was not as difficult as it first appeared. Your teachers are not intimidating; they are wells of wisdom and advice. They love poring into their students. Always take time to speak with them and let them know how much you appreciate their help. And most importantly, do not sweat the small stuff.

Aaron

During my senior year of high school, I made no effort in trying to get involved with after school activities or getting to know my peers. I spent so much time studying to achieve good grades that I had such a miserable year. I applied that same study habit to my first semester of freshman year and it drove me mentally insane. I made no friends and went into an agonizing depression as I saw people enjoying the company of friends they have made. Although I achieved good grades, I was not happy and did not grow as a person. College is a place where one realizes their potential, which allows growth in character and knowledge. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say that grades are not the most important thing that you attain. It is the development of your character and willingness to try and learn new things. Through that, inner happiness can be found by realizing how much you’ve grown and learned as a person.

One of the best things about this school is the connections and networks it has with companies and the amount of academic resourses they provide for students to become successful. Professors are willing to help you succed if you ask, and they provide learning centers for students to ask questions or recieve help if they need any.

One of the most frustrating things about this school is how boring the weekends can be. Also, some classes are tedious for no reason and require students to do a lot of extra work that don't help with learning the material.

Calm down, plan everything out and focus more on your GPA than your social life. Save all the money you can, apply for more scholarships and make sure that you leave behind a legacy.

The kind of person I would normally see going to this school would be a bright, driven and well rounded person. This person would also need to be open to new ideas, new people and new experiences.

I tell them that my school has the best classroom settings, very intelligent teachers and a open, comfortable surroundings. I also tell them how safe it is.

Kaylea

My classmates are very helpful and kind.

My classmates are very helpful and kind.

If I could go back and talk to my highschool self, there are a few things I would say. First, I would tell myself to take more college courses. Espicially the courses I didn't like, such as english, so I didn't have to take them in college. Next, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. College isn't cheap and I don't believe high schools minds quite understand that. Have an expense plan and budget and STICK TO IT! I would tell myself to study more for the ACT. A higher score equals MORE MONEY! I would tell meself that college isn't as scary as one thinks. That people are nicer than you imagine. So make friends. Go out and be social. Get involved early and make yourself known.

The kind of person who has internal motivation to succeed through school and life. Someone who gets things accomplished on time and has the drive to not only do things but do them well.

joshua

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college life and the transition high school, I would first and foremost emphasize the enormous change from high school to college life. It flipped my academic habits for the better, although I did make some mistakes along the way. Having been able to avoid those mistakes, and hit the gates running with confidence, I would have had much more success. I would have made sure that I knew exactly what I wanted for my life, exactly how I was going to do it, and nail down everything that would be expected of me in the years to come, from schooling, to relationships, social skills, to a career.

The environment, from the classes, to the professors, from the students to the facilities, all the varied opportunities that are available to students which are advertised and quite accesible to all students, and the amazing history and community spirit that goes into historical festivities in the entire town.

Having worked for the university, I noticed that in some areas of the school, there are very unprofessional members of leading staff that make decisions that might not be on behalf of the students, but the school.

Jared

I would tell myself that going to class is the single most important aspect in suceeding college.

Career focused. Professional.

Very small. Not much to do. Boring.

Jacqueline

Breathe. College is exciting, it's extravagant, and it's breathtaking. Take a moment and breathe it all in. Choosing a college is a big step in a young person's life and should be taken very seriously. Visit more universities, talk to more current students, and go outside of the state. Do not worry about where your current friends are going to attend school, just worry about who you are and where you fit in. Do not worry about making new friends and starting over that is the best part of college. Join as many clubs as you can. Put yourself out there and dive into something that makes you happy right away. Do not sit in your dorm room and play video games, explore the world, meet new people, because before you know it the real world is knocking on your door. So do not be nervous, I promise everything will be just fine. Pick a medium size school with lots of school spirit, you'd like that. Pick a school that has great academics, because after all that is what pursuing a college degree is all about. Oh, and one more thing, breathe it's okay.

Missouri University of Science and Technology is a great school for those pursuing an engineering degree. Students who do not plan on majoring in engineering or working with engineers should not attend this school. This university is very challenging so those students who want to live up their years in college and not work hard should not attend this school. Also, students who do not like the small school feel should not attend.

Nicholas

Heading to college is an important time in everyone’s life and what you do to prepare can make for a much better college experience. If I could talk to my high–school senior self, I would tell myself a few ideas I need to work towards for the next year. I would first tell myself that I need to apply for as many scholarships as possible. These scholarships are necessary to graduate college without owing thousands of dollars from loans. Another key goal I need to finish would be to look at the extra-curricular activities and be sure to pick at least one that I would be willing to stick with for at least a year. These extra-curricular activities help out a lot with obtaining leadership, which eventually leads to obtaining a summer internship or a co-op. Finally, I would tell myself that before I stick to a major to make sure I like it first. I have currently switched three times and have fallen behind, so I would hope my high-school self would not make that mistake. This is the advice I would give to my past self.

Well, one of the best parts about this school is that everything is super close together. To walk from one side of campus to another, it takes roughly 8 minutes. At some of my friends' schools, it takes them roughly 15 minutes taking a shuttle. Another awesome part about our school is that there is always some activity happening on campus. Every week, there can be up to 10 different events happening. That's very cool, but it makes figuring out what you want to do slightly difficult because there is so much to choose from.

I wish I would have known that this school doesn't give the best scholarships for students to attend. I'm currently already in debt by quite a lot and I have 2 more years to go. I've gotten all the scholarships that I can get from the school, but it's not close to what I need to actually finish school without having tons of loans. I love the school, but I just feel that I have to pay a little too much every year to attend it.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.