Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Aaron

During my senior year of high school, I made no effort in trying to get involved with after school activities or getting to know my peers. I spent so much time studying to achieve good grades that I had such a miserable year. I applied that same study habit to my first semester of freshman year and it drove me mentally insane. I made no friends and went into an agonizing depression as I saw people enjoying the company of friends they have made. Although I achieved good grades, I was not happy and did not grow as a person. College is a place where one realizes their potential, which allows growth in character and knowledge. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say that grades are not the most important thing that you attain. It is the development of your character and willingness to try and learn new things. Through that, inner happiness can be found by realizing how much you’ve grown and learned as a person.

One of the best things about this school is the connections and networks it has with companies and the amount of academic resourses they provide for students to become successful. Professors are willing to help you succed if you ask, and they provide learning centers for students to ask questions or recieve help if they need any.

One of the most frustrating things about this school is how boring the weekends can be. Also, some classes are tedious for no reason and require students to do a lot of extra work that don't help with learning the material.

Calm down, plan everything out and focus more on your GPA than your social life. Save all the money you can, apply for more scholarships and make sure that you leave behind a legacy.

The kind of person I would normally see going to this school would be a bright, driven and well rounded person. This person would also need to be open to new ideas, new people and new experiences.

I tell them that my school has the best classroom settings, very intelligent teachers and a open, comfortable surroundings. I also tell them how safe it is.

Kaylea

My classmates are very helpful and kind.

My classmates are very helpful and kind.

If I could go back and talk to my highschool self, there are a few things I would say. First, I would tell myself to take more college courses. Espicially the courses I didn't like, such as english, so I didn't have to take them in college. Next, I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. College isn't cheap and I don't believe high schools minds quite understand that. Have an expense plan and budget and STICK TO IT! I would tell myself to study more for the ACT. A higher score equals MORE MONEY! I would tell meself that college isn't as scary as one thinks. That people are nicer than you imagine. So make friends. Go out and be social. Get involved early and make yourself known.

The kind of person who has internal motivation to succeed through school and life. Someone who gets things accomplished on time and has the drive to not only do things but do them well.

joshua

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college life and the transition high school, I would first and foremost emphasize the enormous change from high school to college life. It flipped my academic habits for the better, although I did make some mistakes along the way. Having been able to avoid those mistakes, and hit the gates running with confidence, I would have had much more success. I would have made sure that I knew exactly what I wanted for my life, exactly how I was going to do it, and nail down everything that would be expected of me in the years to come, from schooling, to relationships, social skills, to a career.

The environment, from the classes, to the professors, from the students to the facilities, all the varied opportunities that are available to students which are advertised and quite accesible to all students, and the amazing history and community spirit that goes into historical festivities in the entire town.

Having worked for the university, I noticed that in some areas of the school, there are very unprofessional members of leading staff that make decisions that might not be on behalf of the students, but the school.

Jared

I would tell myself that going to class is the single most important aspect in suceeding college.

Career focused. Professional.

Very small. Not much to do. Boring.

Jacqueline

Breathe. College is exciting, it's extravagant, and it's breathtaking. Take a moment and breathe it all in. Choosing a college is a big step in a young person's life and should be taken very seriously. Visit more universities, talk to more current students, and go outside of the state. Do not worry about where your current friends are going to attend school, just worry about who you are and where you fit in. Do not worry about making new friends and starting over that is the best part of college. Join as many clubs as you can. Put yourself out there and dive into something that makes you happy right away. Do not sit in your dorm room and play video games, explore the world, meet new people, because before you know it the real world is knocking on your door. So do not be nervous, I promise everything will be just fine. Pick a medium size school with lots of school spirit, you'd like that. Pick a school that has great academics, because after all that is what pursuing a college degree is all about. Oh, and one more thing, breathe it's okay.

Missouri University of Science and Technology is a great school for those pursuing an engineering degree. Students who do not plan on majoring in engineering or working with engineers should not attend this school. This university is very challenging so those students who want to live up their years in college and not work hard should not attend this school. Also, students who do not like the small school feel should not attend.

Nicholas

Heading to college is an important time in everyone’s life and what you do to prepare can make for a much better college experience. If I could talk to my high–school senior self, I would tell myself a few ideas I need to work towards for the next year. I would first tell myself that I need to apply for as many scholarships as possible. These scholarships are necessary to graduate college without owing thousands of dollars from loans. Another key goal I need to finish would be to look at the extra-curricular activities and be sure to pick at least one that I would be willing to stick with for at least a year. These extra-curricular activities help out a lot with obtaining leadership, which eventually leads to obtaining a summer internship or a co-op. Finally, I would tell myself that before I stick to a major to make sure I like it first. I have currently switched three times and have fallen behind, so I would hope my high-school self would not make that mistake. This is the advice I would give to my past self.

I wish I would have known that this school doesn't give the best scholarships for students to attend. I'm currently already in debt by quite a lot and I have 2 more years to go. I've gotten all the scholarships that I can get from the school, but it's not close to what I need to actually finish school without having tons of loans. I love the school, but I just feel that I have to pay a little too much every year to attend it.

Well, one of the best parts about this school is that everything is super close together. To walk from one side of campus to another, it takes roughly 8 minutes. At some of my friends' schools, it takes them roughly 15 minutes taking a shuttle. Another awesome part about our school is that there is always some activity happening on campus. Every week, there can be up to 10 different events happening. That's very cool, but it makes figuring out what you want to do slightly difficult because there is so much to choose from.

Kelly

I would tell myself to be open to new methods of learning. Discover and branch out in the ways that you learn. Not everything will be the same as in high school. Some professors will lecture, some will strive their hardest to make you understand the material, while others will leave you on your own to teach yourself. In changing your ways, do not be afraid to ask for help. It will do you wonders and you will be much more masterful of the material. Schools provide the opportunities, you just have to seize them. Ask for help, ask questions, be friends with everyone- you never know who can help you the most; with school, careers and networking, or just in everyday things. You're here to learn, so learn as much as you can in the best ways possible.

That you will feel at home. There's lots of opportunities for a school of its size; seize them and succeed. The relaxed atmosphere encourages learning and the faculty is always around to help. The diversity of engineering degrees is top notch. As for extra-curriculars, there's everything you can imagine, from ultimate frisbee, to a literary magazine, to a strong Greek life, as well as an independent govenment organisation. Rolla is a tiny gem that has it all.

One should be enamored by the technical subjects; math, science, and technology. Engineers rule here, but the humanities are well respected, though few in numbers. If you game, you'll find many like-minded people, and if you don't, there's plenty of others that most likely share your interest. Rolla is an extremely welcoming community and you'll become a part of its great history in no time.

James

This is your senior year and I know you are a bit anxious. Don’t be. The years after high school will be the beginning of your new life. And it will only get better each year. Sure, you are going to go to the local community college, but you will transfer within a reasonable amount of time. But there are some things I need to tell you. Every few semesters, you will have a pretty bad schedule. You and I both know that you are not a morning person, so spend a lot of time choosing your class schedules. Also, it is always a little scary meeting new people in each new class, but just remember to be an open-minded individual. Everyone is walking their own path. Another piece of advice, get a job! I mean, what’s a degree without work experience? The first job you are going to get will be horrible, so as soon you get that one, apply to different jobs. Last advice I will leave with you is this: always think positive thoughts. I know life will seem hard but it will always get better.

Christopher

Missouri S&T is very up to date with today's technology.

Missouri S&T is very up to date with today's technology.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell him try hard my freshman year. It is the easiest year you will have at Missouri S&T and you will pick up good habits for studying and time management. Also, I would tell myself to not take Physics 23 and Calc 22 at the same time; both of these class are considered weed out classes, in which they weed out the people that should not be engineers, and if you take them at the same time you are going to spend all of your studying in your room by yourself. Overall though, I would tell myself you need to work hard but you also need to go out and meet some people. I have made some great friends here at Rolla but we all are going to graduate sooner or later and so you should have fun and hangout with your friends whenever you can.

It is a very tough school, even though it is only a state school, and people who did not go here, or work in the engineering field, do not understand how hard the type of material that we are learning is. For example, one of the required classes that we take for engineering is Calculus 22 and the seems to pride in himself that forty percent of the people taking the class will either fail or drop the class.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.