Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Nicholas

Heading to college is an important time in everyone’s life and what you do to prepare can make for a much better college experience. If I could talk to my high–school senior self, I would tell myself a few ideas I need to work towards for the next year. I would first tell myself that I need to apply for as many scholarships as possible. These scholarships are necessary to graduate college without owing thousands of dollars from loans. Another key goal I need to finish would be to look at the extra-curricular activities and be sure to pick at least one that I would be willing to stick with for at least a year. These extra-curricular activities help out a lot with obtaining leadership, which eventually leads to obtaining a summer internship or a co-op. Finally, I would tell myself that before I stick to a major to make sure I like it first. I have currently switched three times and have fallen behind, so I would hope my high-school self would not make that mistake. This is the advice I would give to my past self.

Well, one of the best parts about this school is that everything is super close together. To walk from one side of campus to another, it takes roughly 8 minutes. At some of my friends' schools, it takes them roughly 15 minutes taking a shuttle. Another awesome part about our school is that there is always some activity happening on campus. Every week, there can be up to 10 different events happening. That's very cool, but it makes figuring out what you want to do slightly difficult because there is so much to choose from.

I wish I would have known that this school doesn't give the best scholarships for students to attend. I'm currently already in debt by quite a lot and I have 2 more years to go. I've gotten all the scholarships that I can get from the school, but it's not close to what I need to actually finish school without having tons of loans. I love the school, but I just feel that I have to pay a little too much every year to attend it.

Kelly

I would tell myself to be open to new methods of learning. Discover and branch out in the ways that you learn. Not everything will be the same as in high school. Some professors will lecture, some will strive their hardest to make you understand the material, while others will leave you on your own to teach yourself. In changing your ways, do not be afraid to ask for help. It will do you wonders and you will be much more masterful of the material. Schools provide the opportunities, you just have to seize them. Ask for help, ask questions, be friends with everyone- you never know who can help you the most; with school, careers and networking, or just in everyday things. You're here to learn, so learn as much as you can in the best ways possible.

That you will feel at home. There's lots of opportunities for a school of its size; seize them and succeed. The relaxed atmosphere encourages learning and the faculty is always around to help. The diversity of engineering degrees is top notch. As for extra-curriculars, there's everything you can imagine, from ultimate frisbee, to a literary magazine, to a strong Greek life, as well as an independent govenment organisation. Rolla is a tiny gem that has it all.

One should be enamored by the technical subjects; math, science, and technology. Engineers rule here, but the humanities are well respected, though few in numbers. If you game, you'll find many like-minded people, and if you don't, there's plenty of others that most likely share your interest. Rolla is an extremely welcoming community and you'll become a part of its great history in no time.

James

This is your senior year and I know you are a bit anxious. Don’t be. The years after high school will be the beginning of your new life. And it will only get better each year. Sure, you are going to go to the local community college, but you will transfer within a reasonable amount of time. But there are some things I need to tell you. Every few semesters, you will have a pretty bad schedule. You and I both know that you are not a morning person, so spend a lot of time choosing your class schedules. Also, it is always a little scary meeting new people in each new class, but just remember to be an open-minded individual. Everyone is walking their own path. Another piece of advice, get a job! I mean, what’s a degree without work experience? The first job you are going to get will be horrible, so as soon you get that one, apply to different jobs. Last advice I will leave with you is this: always think positive thoughts. I know life will seem hard but it will always get better.

Christopher

Missouri S&T is very up to date with today's technology.

Missouri S&T is very up to date with today's technology.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell him try hard my freshman year. It is the easiest year you will have at Missouri S&T and you will pick up good habits for studying and time management. Also, I would tell myself to not take Physics 23 and Calc 22 at the same time; both of these class are considered weed out classes, in which they weed out the people that should not be engineers, and if you take them at the same time you are going to spend all of your studying in your room by yourself. Overall though, I would tell myself you need to work hard but you also need to go out and meet some people. I have made some great friends here at Rolla but we all are going to graduate sooner or later and so you should have fun and hangout with your friends whenever you can.

It is a very tough school, even though it is only a state school, and people who did not go here, or work in the engineering field, do not understand how hard the type of material that we are learning is. For example, one of the required classes that we take for engineering is Calculus 22 and the seems to pride in himself that forty percent of the people taking the class will either fail or drop the class.

Laura

Dear Self, My advice to you is this: know yourself. Do everything in your power to discover, embrace, celebrate, and remain true to the real you. Right now, more than ever before, people are expecting things from you-great things. But I caution you: do not meet their expectations! Exceed them…not by becoming the best version of who they think you should be, but rather, the best version of who you already are. It’s not smart to choose a major simply because it will make you look smart. There is no wisdom in selecting a sagely career if it means ignoring your true calling. The world doesn’t need another high-achiever. The world needs the matchless, irreplaceable gift that you are: your unique hobbies, quirky personality traits, the things that break your heart, the things that bring you great joy…that’s what makes you, you! Don’t try to prove yourself. Don’t try to find yourself. You don’t need to look for what you already have. Your story has been written. Don’t let anyone re-write it for you. Know yourself…simply know yourself. Sincerely, You

Clinton

If I had one 'do over in my life' It would be to complete my education because that what really imperative in life for your independence and being a productive citizen. My choice to leave school before completing my education was irresponsible. My life experience that I have encountered leads me to believe that education is the key to being a productive member of society. If giving this opportunity I will share my experiences with some one that‘s about to make that mistake of leaving school. Your education should be primary to each and everyone that enters College.

Nikki

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Go all out! SInce coming to college, it's been tough meeting up wiith everyone from high school. So take those chances,those trips and make memories. Don't be afriad to network or to be assertive...it wil be good practice for when you get to college. Also don't forget to do research...not only for the college you want to attend as far as academically, but what you can do on campus and look to see what difference you can make on campus. Be honest with yourself and don't hesitate to be different. AND always, always remember that whatever you put in, whatever you are willing to share is what you will get out of everything you do. SO don't be shy to ask questions, you are in college to learn. I wish you the best of luck and God Bless!

Someone who wants a smaller campus, loves to get involved, loves to be academically challenged, and has great time-management/study skills.

My classmates are nerdy, fun, studious, and friendly.

My classmates are nerdy, fun, studious, and friendly.

My senior year of high school was the busiest year of my life. Between IB exams, scholarship applications, and classwork, I didn't think about the transition from high school to college. If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself to be more accepting of change. College has been the best experience of my life, but during the first months of school, I stubbornly kept the same routines I had in high school. I studied by myself a lot, didn't get to know many people in my classes, and didn't get involved in the community. Because I went to a small out-of-state college, I didn't know anyone from my hometown, and it was very easy to lock myself away in my dorm-room. A lesson I learned quickly is that having friends to help you through rough times is much more important than studying. When classwork seemed overwhelming or several exams were scheduled for the same week, I needed the support network of other people to help me through. Once I changed my attitude and started getting involved, my grades improved, and I began to understand what makes college so amazing.

MST has a lot of foreign teachers, so sometimes understanding them is difficult.

Racheal

Hi Racheal, What a journey. You’ve finally made it to your senior year of high school and you fought to the top. I’m will not tell you everything you should do because some mistakes mold you into who you become. However as heads up, senior year is going to be hard; it might be your last year but it’s very important. Keep doing well in your classes and pay attention because you will be taking all your AP tests, and you have to study hard for them so that you can get a good score and have some credits transferred in for college, especially chemistry. Also use this year to focus on track. Try to get your times down and don’t you dear mention to the couches that you run the 800 meter run because they will make you run it and you know how much you hate running it. I know you say that you do not was to continue track in college but if you try to picture life without track you cannot. I promise that you will make lifelong friends along the way and travel while doing what you love. Love forthcoming you

There are teachers you cannot really understan their Englishwhen

When I get my degree there is a big chance that I will get a good job right out of college.

I would tell myself that attending a community college is definately the best choice before transferring to MS&T. I would say to give up on silly online games and focus more on Studying the fundamental courses that I took in my first two years. I would tell myself that I am an example learner and that it would be in my best interest to talk to my professors a lot outside of class and get as many examples worked out in front of me as I could. I would tell myself to get more sleep during the week, and do whatever I could to stay awake in my classes, becuase you it's very dis-respectful to sleep in a class when a professor is spending their time trying to teach you. I tell myself to get to know the other students at my community college really well, because I will be living with them for the next two years. I would warn myself against a particular room-mate that has very...different views on cleaning and proper care of the home. I would tell myself to save up as much money as I can, and not eat out.

Anyone who wants to pursue a career in Engineering should attend MS&T. This school offers other degrees too, I'm sure, but you never really hear much other than Engineering. Students don't ask other students "What's you major?" they ask "What kind of engineer are you going to be?". This isn't to say that there aren't any other majors here, but the one thing that MS&T is good at and known for is turning out respectable engineers that will be leaders in our technological future.

I wish I would have been more informed on scholarship opportunities. This school is very expensive, and there are scholarships out there, but I feel like they are kept secret and only a few students know about them. A lot of students are completely uninformed until it's too late. It's very difficult to get through this school without massive debt, especially if you have to live on-campus. If you can attend a community college before attending MS&T, it's very financially worth it. You get the same education for 1/3 the cost.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.