Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Laura

Dear Self, My advice to you is this: know yourself. Do everything in your power to discover, embrace, celebrate, and remain true to the real you. Right now, more than ever before, people are expecting things from you-great things. But I caution you: do not meet their expectations! Exceed them…not by becoming the best version of who they think you should be, but rather, the best version of who you already are. It’s not smart to choose a major simply because it will make you look smart. There is no wisdom in selecting a sagely career if it means ignoring your true calling. The world doesn’t need another high-achiever. The world needs the matchless, irreplaceable gift that you are: your unique hobbies, quirky personality traits, the things that break your heart, the things that bring you great joy…that’s what makes you, you! Don’t try to prove yourself. Don’t try to find yourself. You don’t need to look for what you already have. Your story has been written. Don’t let anyone re-write it for you. Know yourself…simply know yourself. Sincerely, You

Clinton

If I had one 'do over in my life' It would be to complete my education because that what really imperative in life for your independence and being a productive citizen. My choice to leave school before completing my education was irresponsible. My life experience that I have encountered leads me to believe that education is the key to being a productive member of society. If giving this opportunity I will share my experiences with some one that‘s about to make that mistake of leaving school. Your education should be primary to each and everyone that enters College.

Nikki

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Go all out! SInce coming to college, it's been tough meeting up wiith everyone from high school. So take those chances,those trips and make memories. Don't be afriad to network or to be assertive...it wil be good practice for when you get to college. Also don't forget to do research...not only for the college you want to attend as far as academically, but what you can do on campus and look to see what difference you can make on campus. Be honest with yourself and don't hesitate to be different. AND always, always remember that whatever you put in, whatever you are willing to share is what you will get out of everything you do. SO don't be shy to ask questions, you are in college to learn. I wish you the best of luck and God Bless!

Someone who wants a smaller campus, loves to get involved, loves to be academically challenged, and has great time-management/study skills.

My classmates are nerdy, fun, studious, and friendly.

My classmates are nerdy, fun, studious, and friendly.

My senior year of high school was the busiest year of my life. Between IB exams, scholarship applications, and classwork, I didn't think about the transition from high school to college. If I could go back in time, I'd tell myself to be more accepting of change. College has been the best experience of my life, but during the first months of school, I stubbornly kept the same routines I had in high school. I studied by myself a lot, didn't get to know many people in my classes, and didn't get involved in the community. Because I went to a small out-of-state college, I didn't know anyone from my hometown, and it was very easy to lock myself away in my dorm-room. A lesson I learned quickly is that having friends to help you through rough times is much more important than studying. When classwork seemed overwhelming or several exams were scheduled for the same week, I needed the support network of other people to help me through. Once I changed my attitude and started getting involved, my grades improved, and I began to understand what makes college so amazing.

MST has a lot of foreign teachers, so sometimes understanding them is difficult.

Racheal

Hi Racheal, What a journey. You’ve finally made it to your senior year of high school and you fought to the top. I’m will not tell you everything you should do because some mistakes mold you into who you become. However as heads up, senior year is going to be hard; it might be your last year but it’s very important. Keep doing well in your classes and pay attention because you will be taking all your AP tests, and you have to study hard for them so that you can get a good score and have some credits transferred in for college, especially chemistry. Also use this year to focus on track. Try to get your times down and don’t you dear mention to the couches that you run the 800 meter run because they will make you run it and you know how much you hate running it. I know you say that you do not was to continue track in college but if you try to picture life without track you cannot. I promise that you will make lifelong friends along the way and travel while doing what you love. Love forthcoming you

There are teachers you cannot really understan their Englishwhen

When I get my degree there is a big chance that I will get a good job right out of college.

I would tell myself that attending a community college is definately the best choice before transferring to MS&T. I would say to give up on silly online games and focus more on Studying the fundamental courses that I took in my first two years. I would tell myself that I am an example learner and that it would be in my best interest to talk to my professors a lot outside of class and get as many examples worked out in front of me as I could. I would tell myself to get more sleep during the week, and do whatever I could to stay awake in my classes, becuase you it's very dis-respectful to sleep in a class when a professor is spending their time trying to teach you. I tell myself to get to know the other students at my community college really well, because I will be living with them for the next two years. I would warn myself against a particular room-mate that has very...different views on cleaning and proper care of the home. I would tell myself to save up as much money as I can, and not eat out.

Anyone who wants to pursue a career in Engineering should attend MS&T. This school offers other degrees too, I'm sure, but you never really hear much other than Engineering. Students don't ask other students "What's you major?" they ask "What kind of engineer are you going to be?". This isn't to say that there aren't any other majors here, but the one thing that MS&T is good at and known for is turning out respectable engineers that will be leaders in our technological future.

I wish I would have been more informed on scholarship opportunities. This school is very expensive, and there are scholarships out there, but I feel like they are kept secret and only a few students know about them. A lot of students are completely uninformed until it's too late. It's very difficult to get through this school without massive debt, especially if you have to live on-campus. If you can attend a community college before attending MS&T, it's very financially worth it. You get the same education for 1/3 the cost.

Mary

Everyone at Missouri S&T is driven to succeed, as is necessary for those pursuing a career in science and engineering, and the difficulty of the university creates a unity among students as everyone helps each other to learn and apply their studies.

Missouri S&T was my last choice in university. I am originally from St. Louis and wanted to move as far away as possible. I applied to universities on both coasts, in the south, and in the north; Missouri S&T was the only one within several hundred miles of St. Louis. However, due to financial reasons I ended up attending Missouri S&T. My high school self was disappointed, devastated that my high-reaching plans did not succeed the way I originally intended. The best advice I could have given myself at that point in my life is that each experience is what you make of it. No, things don't always work out the way you plan them. Yes, sometimes life takes an unexpected path despite your great attempts to prevent it. Yet if you commit to that path, make the most of each experience you are given, then things will always work out for the best. I am now very involved on campus, have a part-time job, am participating in undergraduate research this summer, and studying abroad in Hong Kong next fall. Life is what you make of it.

Missouri S&T offers many opportunities to its students that might not be found elsewhere. It truly focuses on preparing students for the professional world and helps them place realistic expectations on themselves and their futures. There are countless ways to get involved on campus and gain experience that is both valuable and applicable in the professional world such as student design teams and other campus organizations. The career fair hosted once each semester allows students to approach companies that are interested in hiring graduates and can obtain both internship and co-ops through this process.

Brennan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself how to study more efficiently, not to procrastinate, and to stay on top of my classes and scholarship applications. I was forced to learn the hard way how to study, resulting in grades that were much lower than I had expected. I also had a bad tendency of procrastinating during the first semester, and at a university as hard as this one, that won't get me very far. I would make sure that I knew exactly how hard my first semester in college would be, and better prepare myself for the hard times.

The educational value of the classes here surpass any classes I have ever taken. The university holds very high standards when it comes to the quality of our education. The university's classes make sure the students are prepared for anything when entering the work force.

Sean

My school is a place of filled with academic rigor and intelligence.

My school is a place of filled with academic rigor and intelligence.

I would advise myself to spend my time more wisely. Give up the dedication to sports and focus even more on academics. Learn as if it is key to survival. Do not cram for tests but learn the information with the knowledge that it will be vital to success and well-being. Develop strong relationships with your teachers so that when they need someone to rely on, they have you and when you need someone to rely of for help, you have them. Take advantage of the school counselors and their intelligence on college choices and career choices. Take as many college credit classes as possible so you can enter into college ahead of the others and also spend less money on your education. Do not become apathetic with classes or tests even if you know they do not matter. Always strive to do your best and apply for as many scholarships as possible.

You should not attend this school if you don't have a passion for Science, Technology, or Mathematics. Also if you do not have a drive to learn and grow in knowledge, this would not be the right school for you.

My school underwent a name change a few years back, from the University of Missouri-Rolla to Missouri University of Science and Technology, and that change illustrates exactly the traits for which my school is renowned. Missouri University of Science and Technology produces some of the brightest scientific and engineering-minded individuals in this country; we are an island of innovation and science in an otherwise agriculturally-focused state. Our solar car team competes against Ivy League schools. Our student body is diverse. The STEM education here is truly world-class, and student's pride couldn't be higher.

Some of the best advice I could give myself is to practice time management. It's something so simple, but it can be the difference between dirty laundry and clean laundry or an A grade exam and a B grade exam. I had no idea how much time a single subject requires to fully grasp. Another thing I'd like to tell a younger me is to not stress about making friends the first week. Most people are generally friendly, and it's easy to get forced into a group with whom you have a poor connection.

Our student body is more than willing to make room for people of all backgrounds and interests. While it may seem that my school is angled toward a certain type of individual, a niche exists for everyone. If a student desires to learn and to express who they are, Missouri University of Science and Technology will develop and nurture that student's talents. If a student is from another nation, we have a diverse and supportive community to aid in their transition. Further, there isn't a single employer who scoffs at a degree from our university.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.