Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northern Arizona University

Pick a campus where you can relate to the people, not where you think others want you to go.

There aren't many elective classes available.

Get a school that creates great internships and gets people involved with their campus and community. A school is not only an adventure in itself but is supposed to help you with your next adventure. Your career.

the nature, this place is a city within a wilderness. It is not hard to get anywhere on or off campus. For any major active in environmental sciences, forestry, geology, even anthropology, this place is like your own backyard.

Someone environmentally active.

Rosario

The best college to attend to is where you know that you have the support from the community. And the program to attend is offered by the school.

I attend NAU - Yuma. Yuma is a growing city so the campus itself is located in the middle of homes. In addition, there are few programs available to offer students. In addition, the campus is divided with Arizona Western college.

There is really not much I could have done. I still have to commute 40 minutes to get to campus.

My school is up in the mountains and gives me a chance to get involved with nature at its finest.

My school is best known for its great outdoor activites and research.

I would first tell the student to visit as many colleges as possible and go to the one that really makes you smile when you get there. Go to a place that you feel most comfortable because you will need to surround yourself in an environment that relaxes you when all the school work feels overwhelming. The perfect college is out there, a place the has both your prosepective major as well as a nice atmosphere. To the parents I would say that while it is definately okay to add in your opinion, let you child make the finally decision and support them. It is your child who will spend the next few years of their life there and they need to be somewhere they appreciate and enjoy. Most of all though, your support in such a big decision will only make them appreciate you more and work harder throughout there college experience.

Laura

There aren't so many students that you never run into yyour friends unexpectedly. You can usually count on someone being in the doning areas when you want someone to eat with. The environment is very clean and very friendly.

One of the most important things in my opinion to finding the right college, is making sure that you like the atmosphere of the campus. Try to visit the campus Before you choose it. If it's too far away, check out some pictures or talk to someone who's been there. Living in an area that you don't like can stress you out, and the last thing you need is more stress. Think about the weather, the size and population, and the kind of activities available. Don't focus entirely on the atmosphere. You want to make sure the education is going to be right for you. Keep in mind what you want to study, but that people tend to change their major. How to make the most of college? Get out of your room! Take a walk around campus. Relax. Join a team, club, or check out a fraternity/sorority(they don't all follow the stereotypes that you've heard of; some are service or professional). Be open to the thoughts and opinions of others. Say hi to people you don't know. You're likely to make some new friends that might last a lifetime.

Someone who doesn't like the cold, or who is unable to accept people who are different.

Rachele

Don't rush into this, and also dont procrastinate. It takes a lot of dedication and persistence to find the right college for you. Remember, mistakes will be made, and if the college you chose is not right for you, then transferring to another that fits you better is the way to go.

Someone who is able to go to a school that is relaxing and can live in a small town.

Work is limited, and often the weather is a burden

Jason

When choosing a 4 year university be prepared to work hard and focus on a specific major. Before attending school observe and/or intern in the field that you are interested in before starting a major that leads you down a career choice that doesn't suit your skills.

Lazy, looking for a hand out, non - ambitious

Holly

hotel and restaurant management

hotel and restaurant management

I would suggest exploring options with a career couselor and attending a community college first. Then after the student has made a decission about their major then transfer to a university that suits them by location and financially.

my GPA from my first degree carried over to my second degree

Danielle

Finding the right college should really be up to the student. I was accepted into the school of my dreams; the school I had been planning on attending for about 5 years. Yes I knew what college I wanted to go to when I was an 8th grader. The problem was how much the school cost. Even though I was 18 and free to make whatever choice I wanted, my family told me I could only attend an in-state school. I was devestated and often question how my life could be right now, but I try not to dwell on it too much. Save money for your child's education and fill out financial aid forms. You should be proud that your child wants to continue their education and do the best you can to reach a compromise. The key here is planning ahead and getting an idea of what you both want, sooner than later.

The best thing about my school is the people. I have made a lot of friends and I can always count on someone to be up to hanging out, studying, and just having fun whenever.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the availability of on-campus living. There have been times when students were stuck in study rooms while they sorted out a place for them to live. Also, they promote "staying connected" with on-campus living, but yet students have had to find a place off-campus which can be difficult to find. I also didn't like how they built a really nice new dorm and designated it a freshman connections hall. Thankfully it'll be upper classmen next fall.

My school is probably best known for its teaching program, which it was originally built for. Some new buildings such as engineering and business are getting more funding from alumni supporters. My school also has a state of the art anthrax lab where research is done. Not surprisingly, graduate, as well as undergraduate, research is suggested for all students at some point in their school careers.

The advice I would give parents and students when searching for colleges would be to not worry about the name of the college but what the college can do for you. It helps if the colleges of interest are researched for their programs, financial aid, and extra-cirricular activities. I find that it is important to determine if there is a developed program in whatever the student is interested in studying. It is more intellectually stimulating to have professors with different viewpoints in order to make a student think. In financial matters, I was personally given an academic scholarship, which tipped my final college choice towards NAU. Especially in difficult economic times, the availability of financial aid in any form helps to offset the rising costs of tuition. Although parents don't want to send their children somewhere to only compete in extra-cirriculars, but they look good on a job application after college and they also help the student cope with the stress of college classes.

When I describe my school to my friends I mention how beautiful the campus is, nestled in the Arizona mountains. The air is so clean walking or biking to class is enjoyable on a sunny day. Although the snowy months are cold, it always looks like a brand new landscape after a fresh snowfall. This also creates the ability to participate in winter sports, like snowboarding, without having to travel far. I probably also brag about the interesting and accepting people I have encountered.

Northern Arizona University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.