Oklahoma City University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oklahoma City University

Vishu

It's a small liberal arts school. Performing arts are huge and the level of talent is high. Most students find that the nickname of "Over Committed University" is real and even though there are not a ton of extra curriculars those available in addition to rehearsals and school is more than enough to keep you busy. Private university but financial aid was readily available and they try to find you funding if you need it. It was difficult and stressful but at graduation I realized I had met friends that I will keep forever.

Marcus

Oklahoma City University is small school that has built a community around hard work and excellence. The programs are competitive and filled with high achievers. It is also a school that is encouraging. Both the teachers and students encourage you to pursue the best person you can be.

Hwey Jane

i like my school, it provides students with a lots of learning opportunities.

Vision

My overall opinion of my school is that it is a unique life changing experience; one that I wish everyone could have. From my classes to my voice teacher to my fraternity, they have all shaped me as a person and taught me that it’s never about the end goal as much as it is about the process and the moment in the now. OCU has stretched the possibilities of where I thought I could be and where I am now. My professors care about me as a person not just as a living absorber of knowledge. And I’ve never been given more second chances in my life because this school stresses making mistakes and getting dirty in order to get back up again and really be triumphant. Today in masterclass,l for my voice major, I sang and I decided to be bold and to be messy and to just be me. My professor told me that I had never sung better and I believed him. It’s the daily breakthroughs that I get to make and be cheered on by so many people that make me happy to be alive and happy to just be me and never settle for less. This and so many other things I forgot to mention is why I am forever grateful for Oklahoma City University and the family it gave me for four years and the rest of my life.

Ali

I've loved my time here and would not trade it for anything.

Jordan

Oklahoma City is a small private college that houses less than 4000 students. The campus is pretty nice, and a small community makes it easy to know a majority of the people on campus, and form good bonds with your professors. The on-campus food is pretty terrible, I must say. The only time I enjoyed The Caf's food was on the weekends because brunch was actually good. The hours for The Caf are odd, and Alvin's food is very overpriced. I'd recommend cooking as much as possible. Most of the facilities are nice, especially the music school and the business school.

Destiny

Oklahoma City University is a charming liberal arts school mostly known for its spectacular fine arts programs. OCU also offers great nursing and business programs. And though OCU is no MIT it still has gems hidden throughout its growing STEM programs. As for the professors, they are dictated to get their students to where they want to be. Classes rang from 15-30 students, perfect for getting one on one time with the professor. When you're not busy with classes or studying there are plenty of on campus activities ran by clubs, greek life, and student organizations. If you need a break from school altogether there is a welcoming community surrounding OCU. My favorite place to chill being Bricktown- a lively night scene with places to eat and lounges to chill at, great for groups of friends. Or you can eat and lounge around back at campus. OCUs new cafeteria and menu provides food that isn't exactly like mom's cooking but is close enough. For the days that you just want something different to eat you can go to the campus store (Alvins) or go to the on campus Chick-fil-A. OCU grassy lawns are the perfect place to enjoy a meal, especially in the summer. The green lawns contrast gorgeously with the deep red 20th century brick building that surround the campus. Those 20th century buildings unfortunately don't look as pretty on the inside. On campus housing and facilities are in need of renovations. But if you can look past that then you've found your place among the stars!

So far I enjoy this school very much. The campus is beautiful, its quiet and peaceful, Teachers are very caring and helpful whenever the students are in need of help. Most of all, the students I've encountered so far are nice and fun to be around. I am surrounded by amazing new friends who all have the same goal in heart; to succeed.

April

Oklahoma City University is a good private college to go because it will guarantee the student success as well a good education in learning. The size of the classroom are perfect for the student because as a student one is able to interact with the professor. As well as the student can set up tutoring with their professor and more then likely the professor will help the student understand there lectures better.

Molly

Over all, I believe that I am being well prepared for my career as a Math educator. I am also impressed with my Pom Coach, who has been my biggest inspiration since I have joined the Pom Squad. The school is very close knit, as it is small and most people are very friendly.

Madison

My OCU fosters cultural learning and differences and supports the whole student throught the instution of higher education. Encouraging volunteering, student activities and making friends outside of your comfort zone. Having one of the largest ratios of international students in the nation, the cultural learning opportunties are abundant for all students. This is one of my favorite things about OCU amonst the involved and highly intellicutual professors!

Mariah

I really enjoy going to school here and the academics are great however it's really expensive. I'm having a really hard time paying to go to school here and it's only my freshman year. I really love my professors and I've made some incredible friends so I would really hate to leave this school.

Lily

Oklahoma City University was welcoming from the second I walked onto campus this past year. I walked into the theater building scared, as I was auditioning for their competitive theater program. Students and faculty flooded to welcome the incoming auditioners, ready to answer questions and comfort the jittery students. The professors care about their student's well being and future, present through their close relationships with students during and after their time at OKCU. Being in the performing arts program, especially 'Theater Performance' and 'Dance', means students are working with their professors after school hours, in rehearsals for shows. Because of the heavy hours, performing students are pushed harder by the faculty, in order to be successful in the field after graduation. Not only are the professors heavily involved, the students at the University are accepting and open to others. In order to attend the performing arts program at Oklahoma City students are required to volunteer and get involved in the community. For example, when one takes Class Piano students travel to elementary schools in the community and play piano for the music classes. Oklahoma City University creates a positive environment for all who attend the University.

Karlee

Oklahoma City University is a very diverse and open university with a wide range of opportunities. Additionally, the campus feels very open, yet safe and friendly. There's always someone around to help you if you need it and it's so easy to meet people and make friends.

Everyone is very nice and supportive! If you want a great, intimate, individualized learning experience, this is the place to be. The staff on campus try to establish professional relationships with students to try and make their college experience and after college experience the best it can be. They really set their students up for success. It is also a very safe place to be although it is right in the heart of Oklahoma City. The police are thorough, have set protocols, and are very passionate about keeping students safe. Last thing, the food is amazing! There are so many delicious options to choose from. I am so excited to be attending here in the fall! Go stars!

Madelynn

OCU is not a very safe campus. I have seen homeless people camping out inside of the library. The facilities are awful and the food is even worse. The only reason that I am attending this school is because of the dance program. I would only recommend this school to people who are involved in the arts.

Louisa

Oklahoma City University is the perfect college experience for the passionate and the driven. The academics are incredible and is very helpful "in the real world". Professors help you to figure out how to have the career of your dreams and the skills you need to develop to get there. Overall, it's a perfect university for the ideal college student.

Cadence

In the beginning of the year, I believed the was charging WAY too much for what I was getting. But throughout the year, the school started to renovate the dorms and buildings. I was excited to see where all the money I'm paying was going. Then, I got an email about raised costs for housing and fees. We, students, are back to feeling overcharged for what we get. Another opinion I have is that the advertising for the school's tuition should include more information about the other costs and fees that happen to appear on the bill. My final opinion is that the faculty is what makes Oklahoma City University worth it. They are always available and willing to help. They are ready with answer and advice when questions arise.

Darius

I believe Oklahoma City university needs to take action an start protecting their students. Being a black student on campus I don't feel included when it comes to certain aspects of the campus community life. we preach about diversity and inclusion, but don't follow through. students stand for more than the administration, and professors do. Other than that, I believe its a great campus because of the support system that each and every student provides for one another. we strive to be better people everyday, and that's what I love most about OCU. There have been many incidents but I believe change is taking place, and I'm excited for the future.

Addison

I have attended OCU for the past 2 and half years. Here's what I think. College is college and it will never be the perfect experience we see on the big screen. That's not real life. However, I would argue that OCU is pretty darn close to it. At a small liberal arts school, there are loads of opportunities to find your belonging. This is the time in a young adult's life that we all start figuring out who we want to be and where we want to go. It can be overwhelming. College usually is at times. But OCU is extremely understanding and encourages their students to have faith in their hopes and dreams. On the outside, this campus looks like a watering hole for all kinds of eccentric and intelligent individuals. With such an intimate and beautiful landscape, this campus is sure to come across as a dreamland. But the reality is, in order to see our dreams and passions come into fruition, we must put in the work. We must show respect. And above all, we must do our best. When it comes time to starting the college journey, we may not know what our best is. But you are guaranteed to find it. I know I have. And I must say, that OCU's steadfast environment has proven to me that I can go beyond the limits that I place on myself. And that is certainly setting myself and my colleagues up for success in the future. GO STARS!

Dane

Oklahoma City University is the perfect place for thriving young artists, athletes, and everyone in between. While we are mostly a performance major school, all majors take classes together, so I get the chance to meet people outside of the music school. OKCU is the perfect home for me and helps me achieve my dreams, as well as helps me grow both academically and artistically.

Ujala

I like Oklahoma University School of Law. I am currently trying to obtain my Juris Doctor. I have almost completed my first year of law school. And this school has made me feel the most accepted I have ever felt. I feel like especially with the friends I have made, I am able to express my views and not be judged for them. I am able to be myself and get help when needed. When I am having an off day there are several people who make sure I am doing okay. This school is like a family and I very much enjoy it.

Troy

I have had a rough go it here, yet there were also positives. I was on the basketball team and things were looking promising until things took a turn for the worse. I am transferring to another college to play basketball but need the funding to pay for part of the schooling.

Savannah

This is an amazing opportunity for those excelling the world of dance and wish to further their career. It is the most supportive and nurturing environment. The campus is smaller than most but is one of the top 10 dance schools in the entire country. If you want to get to broadway, get to OKCU because students/graduates are well received based on the incredible education they acquire.

Brooke

OCU is a prestigious school with many notable alumni. It is found in the heart of Oklahoma City, and there are so many things to do! Also, the athletic teams win multiple national championships every year. Not to mention, if you are into the arts, music, or theatre, then this is a great place for you. What could be better?