Glassboro, NJ
Rowan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rowan University

Fixed  rate loan

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Your parents are (probably) paying for you to go to college, the least you can do is call them. Who cares how often? Do it whenever you feel like it. I call mine once a week.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Yes. Don't go to parties if you don't drink. Everyone else will be drunk.

What do people really wear to class?

They dress normally. Jeans, tshirts, sweatpants, etc. No one really dresses up, and only a few people dress way way down in like pajamas or whatever

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Surviving the dorms and adjusting to the freedom...but mostly the dorms. Freshman dorms have no AC and you sweat until you die in the beginning and end of the year. Most freshmen are in triple rooms, too, so you live in a hot, sweaty box with two other people.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

People seem to argue a lot about trans issues. There's also a group that's trying to minimize the penalty for smoking weed on campus, which some support and others don't.

What's the Greek scene like?

Many people go Greek but many people don't. They throw most of the parties and walk around in nothing but their letters, but they don't run the school or anything. Greek students are just like any other students.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library. It's really quiet. Either that or Mimosa Lab, which is open 24 hours.

THE WIFI SUCKS. They've been putting in work to improve it, so maybe that'll change, but the wifi sucks. Also Glassboro is basically Nowhere, USA.

There are clubs for most things. SGA seems to be a big deal. Frats and sororities are the most popular groups on campus. The sports teams are also popular. They both (frats and sports) throw parties. There aren't very many people dating, as like in most colleges, the hook-up culture dominates. But if you're looking for your soulmate, I'm sure there's some other weirdo looking too. Most people are just looking for a friends-with-benefits type of thing, though. If you're not a party-goer, the weekends can be stale. They have events in the Student Center, but they usually have low attendance because most people go party. Every Friday night, there is a free shuttle to Philly, which is pretty nice. Glassboro itself sucks. There's only one bar and a few shops.

The English department is amazing. The professors are really smart and will challenge you to become a better writer. Class participation is crucial in some classes, but less in general ed classes. The difficulty level depends on your major and your grasp on the subject, but I've found my classes to be challenging but still manageable. If you work hard, you will at least get Bs. All professors offer office hours, although students rarely go.

Debra

When I look back on my high school experience when I was a senior, I become filled with many conflicting emotions. I was in a certain mindset that I thought would help me progress into a college student. If I could give my senior-self advice, I would definitely say to appreciate family more. Before entering college I was under the impression that going away to school would give me the opportunity to distance myself from my parents in the way that I wanted. The idea of being able to live on my own for months on end seemed really great to me. Therefore I ignored a lot of what was going on around me in my life at home and tried make time go by as fast as possible. I wanted out and as a result I did not take enough time to appreciate how much my family means to me. Once I got to school I felt isolated from the ones who truly care for me, which brought me to this: College is a time for new experiences and profound changes, but the life at home that you temporarily leave behind is the one that should be cherished.

Student's looking for a strict, quiet campus that is very school spirited should not attend. The weekends get very noisy with people going to parties as well as all the construction that is constantly going on. Also, students looking for a very diverse campus are also not encouraged to attend.

What frustrates me is how the university is trying to expand faster than it is able too. Rowan is accepting more students than it is able to house and therefore many students are weightlifted on getting a room and must resort to getting off-campus housing, which is usually not ideal for freshman students.

Joseph

The first piece of advice I would give to my past self is to make sure that I save more money than I did. Money is the most important aspect of independent living, and it is imperative that I tell my past self this advice. I am a decent saver when it comes to financing, but sometimes I find myself buying things I truly did not need in the long run. I could instead use that money now for food, books, and many other college supplies that I need. I would ensure that my past self knows to double check every expense I had in mind, and to ensure that what I was buying was to become a good use. If what I was buying was not, I would tell my past self to store that money away for a later and more important time, when I am running through change to afford that $300 Calculus textbook! Saving money will be the most important aspect of college life and the most apparent transition from living at home to an independent life, and I would ensure my past self knows that!

Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to find parking all throughout the school. There are too many times to tell about how every spot is filled until you reach the far back of the parking lot. I see many other students complain each morning about this as they try to commute to class with hundreds of others who are also looking for parking spaces. It can become very troublesome to find parking, and I will always find it to be the worst aspect of the school.

I believe that the best aspect of my school is the expansive library that we have here. It is a 3 story tall building with books ranging from romantic novels to mythology encycolpedias. Each of the floors of the building have specific "quiet" states. On the third floor, it is a quiet study room that you can do essays or research in peace, where absolute silence is enforced across the floor. On floor 2, is a partially quiet room, in which students can meet to discuss projects in a refined area. Finally the bottom floor is a genearl meeting room.

Kelsey

Rowan University has many of its building near each other, which makes it easy to get from class to class. The farthest you would have to walk is maybe 15 minutes . There is also a small town that has restaurants that you can walk to. Which is nice to have so you are not always eating the same food everyday.

I would tell myself to be more outgoing and not shy. I woudl have said this because I would make mroe friends this way. Get involved as soon as possible. Doing this will keep you busy and keep you mind off about being away from home and being home sick. Not only will it keep you busy but it will let you meet new friends.

I wish i had known how many firedrills we were goign to have. I would also liked to have known you meet most of your friends the first week you are there. Also getting involved will help with your resumue's. Being involved lets you meet new people as well as get used to the new community you are in. The last thing i wished i had known before i came to school how much home sick i really was going to get and how to cope with that.

Kaitlyn

My classmates tend to be studious and focused individuals.

My classmates tend to be studious and focused individuals.

Don't be scared of what is to come. College is a time for learning not only about your future field, but also about yourself. Forget about your insecurities or regrets from high school, because those no longer matter when you enter college. That "enemy" you had in high school... long forgotten by you second semester in college. That embarassing thing that happened in the hallway... totally forgotten. College is a time to start over and be who you want to be. Your high school friends won't stick around, so don't worry about pleasing them; and don't worry, your college friends will be so much better. They will appreciate you not only for what you offer them socially, but also intellectually. So, during the nights you will inevitably stay up worrying about college, remember that you will be fine and you will succeed more than you could ever know.

The available experiences are the best thing about Rowan University. I am able to work alongside a great professor throughout his research, and I am gaining experience in the field.

Alexander

No one is going to make yourself succeed but yourself. You're going to be have no one but yourself to fall back on. You'll have friends and family supporting you along the whole way, and professors will have your best interests in mind, but in the end they're not the ones doing what needs to be done. Get ready to get some work done. Because there's going to be a lot of it. Unless you choose to make things easier. But you're only going to hurt yourself in the long run.

Olasunkanmi

Rowan University is one of the institutions that I would label as a "sleeper". People that don't live within the region usually aren't familiar with the school. However, it is one of the best schools in the state and is only growing, including an enormous local Barnes and Noble . It is a small community with a small tightnit group of students who just want to see their peers succeed. I was not sure I would be able to get this at Rutgers New Brunswick or University of Pittsburgh in which both are much more massive in size.

If I had the great opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself two things. The first thing would be to actually study purposefully for my SATs and Subject Tests. I made an extremely lackluster attempt to cover my bases before the exam and as a result I only received an 1840. This combined with the "upper-middle class" income that my household brings in, I quickly learned that I would not be given much help if any to pay for my collegiate education. The second thing I would tell myself is that "the small school you went to, with barely any competition, yeah that's going to end real soon." In school growing up I was always the guy looked up to as the 'genius'. As a result, I came into college with that same mentality towards college methodology and schoolwork. Unfortunately, that resulted in below par performance for my first year. I have now learned from my mistakes as "hindsight is 20/20" as my dad always says. However, my current worries could have been avoided if I'd only adhered to those pieces of advice.

If I had to pick out the worst thing about the school it would have to be the location. It is approximately 100 miles from my house and the campus itself is pretty much in the middle of nowhere relatively. The town of Glassboro is a small community with not that much to do near campus. However, there are opportunities if you can walk a little further or are lucky enough to own a vehicle on campus.

Robert

My first advice would be to start college living on campus, or near campus. Get everything out of it that you can; You're going to love it!

The advising can suck, so being aware of that would have made the process a little easier.

Rowan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.