College Station, TX
Texas A & M University-College Station

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas A & M University-College Station

Alex

I love Texas A&M for all of its quirks and traditions. There is no other school this large where you will not feel like just another number to the faculty and staff. In fact, I rarely notice that the school is big at all. I love that everything seems to have a tradition to go along with it. While it takes a while to learn them all, and a lot of them seem kind of hoaky, the traditions will enrich your college experience, and make you feel a kinship with your fellow schoolmates. Everyone you meet on campus is not a stranger, but merely a friend you've yet to meet! Its so true. Aggies are the friendliest bunch you will encounter. We are always willing to lend a hand, give directions, and answer any question you might have. We would welcome anyone with open arms. And while A&M is in many ways a great school, we do have our quirks, but you learn to live with, and love them, to embrace them as your own.

It is common to feel most alone in a crowd, there is no other place where you can be more anonymous. However, A&M and its students don't want you to feel left out. There are over 800 student run organizations on campus, and many off campus that you can join. I suggest you get really involved as a freshman. That way you will know how much you can handle when classes get really hard, and you will meet all kinds of amazing people who share your interests! Don't be afraid that you are the only one, you rarely are. People are really friendly here, if you are lost or need some help with anything, and I do mean anything, ask. Someone will always want to help you!

That we are all a bunch of redneck farmers who are not truly educated. I get a lot of Aggie jokes when I go home.

Not in the least. A&M is one of the top schools in the country, certainly in Texas, and I don't understand what is so funny about an Aggie joke. They all imply that we, as a whole, are dumb, but in fact it is very difficult to get into the college. It simply does not make sense. As for the farmer thing, most of my friends and classmates come from large cities and have never seen a farm or ranch unless its from the window of a moving vehicle.

I won't lie to you, classes at A&M are hard. They want the best, but they are willing to help. There is no reason to fail a class when so much tutoring, supplimental instruction, and interaction in the classroom is all available to you. Get to know your TA in the big classes, and you will certainly have some large classes. Get to know you professor in the classes that are required for your major. Not only will they help you with the material, but they really want to see you succeed in life, so they will bend over backwards to help you elsewhere. Like I said, everyone here is so welcoming, and willing to help. I suggest you meet a friend in every class. Sit next to them, exchange phone numbers or friend each other on Facebook, because if you miss a class you can copy their notes, or you guys could study together. I have met some of my best friends this way!

Tori

Texas A&M is a college town, hence why it is in College Station. The campus is large but beautiful. Once you visit it will captivate you and suck you in, if you already aren't entranced by the spirit and traditions. That is what drew me in, I am a first generation Aggie (no one else in my family has been there) but the longstanding traditions and amazing school Spirit is amazing. Just go to a football game. My first football game - "I had never seen so many people wearing maroon" is what i told my mom. But the yells, the spirit, you'll never experience anything like it. There is amazing alumni support at the school, Old Ags return all the time for the Corps, football games, Muster. There is not enough time to explain all the traditions, but Muster is one of my favorite traditions. As it was said at this years Muster, it is the biggest tradition since everyone will participate in it once. At 3,000 Musters held around the world, with the largest one in College Station, all honoring the Aggies that have died in the past year. From class of 2008 all the way to class of 1938. Someone, a family member or classmate, is there to hold a candle for you, everyone there is honoring and praying for you, so whether you participate by attending Muster or by passing away and being honored at one, you are there. It's an overwhelming feeling. If you want a lot of people to support you, Texas A&M is good for that. Rallying around a cause is something current and former students are good at.

Most students wear a t-shirt and jeans or shorts to class. Some people roll out of bed and come to class and it is not a big deal. This was great for me, as I don't particularly think it is necessary to dress up to go to class. Of course a few people did and that was fine, but I was comfortable :) Most students are from somewhere in Texas. There are of course out of state people, even people from other countries, but they make up a small percentage. As I said before, most students are conservative/republicans. Different types of students do interact. There is the Corps of Cadets, the "keepers of the spirit" who have been the center of tradition since the beginning of the school. A military-based student organization. The Greeks, the people that are involved with student run organizations such as Fish Camp (a 3 day camp for freshmen to get a sneak peek at the traditions and spirit of Aggieland), student government, and so many more. Most people are usually involved in more than one thing. Let's just say if their activities section on Faceboook includes more than like 5 student organizations it's not an uncommon thing. OR you can do nothing and that's alright too! The majority of students at A&M are white. There are some racially and religious diversities at the school, but it is a minority. I do not know who feels out of place at A&M, but I do not think people look differently at different races, religions, or socio-economic groups.

You have to see it to believe, and go to A&M to feel it.

Conservative, Cult-like, "Dumb Aggies", Country

I started off as a general studies student. Most people take all the basics their first year, maybe year and a half, depending on how many hours you come in with. These classes are usually pretty large. Over my past 4 years, I have sat in classes of almost 300, to a class of 8. So it depends, and in the larger classes, the prof didn't know my name as I didn't take the time to speak to him, but yes I did kind of feel "like a number". But it is such a large campus and I wasn't expecting the intro classes to be small. Once you get more major-specific classes, the class size is smaller and the class participation is more conversational like within your class. Most of my business/marketing professors were amazing and I loved them. Texas A&M is a leading academic school, and there are so many opportunities, we don't just have one good college of... to go to. There are great programs in business, engineering, agriculture, medical sciences, etc.

There are soooo many groups and organizations you can get involved in at A&M. I am a part of the greek life and I loved it. It is not too overwhelming and I met most of my best friends there. It's definitely not a "go greek or go home" school at all! Athletic events are very popular to go to. Let's just say if you aren't at the football games on Saturday, you better be out of town, because I dont know what else you would be doing. There are tailgates all over the campus before the game, and once you go into the stadium you will be blown away. If you're awake at 2am on Tuesday.. if I was a freshman I was probably studying, sophomore up late talking with girlfriends in the sorority house, junior - talking to roomies or at a party, senior - watching tv or at a bar. Bar scene - Northgate is a 2-block strip of bars all next to each other, its not just the Dixie Chicken as some people may say. There are some bars where if you show up in jean shorts and a tshirt so is everyone else probably, and there are some dressier clubs, dance clubs, chill bars, pretty much anything. A lot of people have house parties, kegs, or there are other things to do on the weekend other than the bars. There are alot of religious groups that hang out at coffee shops, etc. Movies, or just hang out at home.

Partially, but not to the extreme some people take them. There are a lot of people from small towns, and it began as an agricultural school so there are a lot of "rural folks" but we are not a bunch of redneck country people. We are one of the leading academic schools, producing leaders around the world, and therefore are NOT dumb. There is an overall conservative view at the school, as it does have links to Bush '41, and other republican figures, but there are liberals out there too. As for the cult stereotype, it is a spirit that can not be seen from the outside or explained once you are inside.

Alita

most of the stereotypes are surprisingly accurate. I am a Hispanic who looks white. No one would tell me the difference but would constantly degrade my race. It would be really disappointing

Everyone is conservative and country. No one allows diverssity to rule. It is ridiculous how much is not allowed.

Alex

Personally I careless about school tradition, I really care about tuitions. I was very dispointted about how this university treated their students. The way I think about what universities should do is that they should give good quality education to their students. Universities shouldn't be a institution which only care about money. The A&M which I believe turn into the school only cares about money and not students. First of all, I was disappointed about quatilies of professors. I was transfered from the Blinn college and I've met with good professors. I learned so much stuff from them. However, here in A&M, I have met with profesor who doesn't know how to teach. Some professsors are goog but some are bad. Maybe this is a bigger institution so this is the reason. Maybe it is true. However, I expect this universtiy at least should try to improve quality of those profesor. Some them only care about their research and doesn't have time for students. what I think about most unfair of all about this university is that all full-time students force to pay 15 hours tuitions. If students take more than 15 hours, they only have to pay for 15 hours. However, if students take less than that they still have to pay for 15 hours. Why are they doing this? They said they want students to graduate early that's the reson they are doing this. What a ridiculus reason it is. If they really want students to graduate early, why don't they just say, students have to pay for 12 hours and if students take more than 12 hours the fees are still same as 12 hours. That is understandable. Like I said they care about money more than students. They force students to take more classes than before and they what us to graduate early. I don't see any other reason than they simply wants to make more money. I thought the univeristy is the place where students are learn more stuff and become a person who would contrabute to this socity. I thought this place is a sacred and nothing to do with making money from students. I was disappointed and I guess i was wrong.

Sophie

A&M is a big family. You feel that on and off campus. Once you decide you're going there, you're automatically a part of the family and you'll definitely feel welcomed. The Alumni are very active in the school and if you meet any of them away from school, you automatically have a connection with them. The size is perfect. The student body is large so you have a very diverse group, but the family aspect makes it feel much smaller and more comfortable. When I tell people that I go to A&M they usually look at me with shock and crack some dumb Aggie joke. But, I just take it with a smile on my face and remind them who won the last two A&M vs. UT football games and that usually shuts them up (I'm from Austin home of UT). College Station is most definitely a college town which is great because we have support from the entire community and businesses. I've never personally had a problem with the administration. Just visit A&M and you'll experience the school pride. It's completely different from any other university. The most unusual thing about A&M is the respect everyone has for eachother. I've heard so many stories from people from rival schools coming to sporting events on A&M's campus and getting help and nothing by good sportmanship from all Aggies. When I visited A&M for the first time my senior year of highschool I remember walking around campus having people "howdy" me all the time and walk up to ME when they see me with a map in my hand and a confused look on my face.

There are so many different organizations to join. If you're interested in ANYTHING, there's either a group for it, or you can go create your own. I think the only student that would feel out of place is one who's not interested in anything. A student who doesn't want to get involved at all with the university. Most of the students I've met are from a middle-class background. Most students on campus are politically aware, and most that I've met are very conservative. That's not to say that there aren't those out there with more liberal views.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Texas A&M is a very diverse university, with so many different organizations for every interest.

Dorm life varies depending on where you live. Some students in dorms leave their doors unlocked, some dorms have different social events. DEFINITELY live on campus your first year if you can. I met most of my friends from class. In the architecture program you're with the same people for almost every class. There are too many traditions at A&M to name, but the student body is heavily committed to them. Fraternities and Sororities are important to those in them. I'm not in one, but I have friends in them and they seem to enjoy them a lot. There's not too much to do in College Station, but the people you meet will be so random and interesting you will find something to do.

I absolutely love my classes. Some are more difficult than others, but they're all very interesting. Most Professors really want to see you succeed so they help out in any way possible.

Some people think that A&M is full of red necks and cowboys only interested in agriculture and cow tipping

Madeline

The best thing about Texas A&M is everything! It's got a million traditions, lots of school pride, and it's really easy to make friends. It's a big campus but it's not overwhelming because everyone is super friendly. It's in a college town so if you stay for summer school, expect a HUGE difference. I'll never forget Fish Camp; it's where I met all of my best friends!

Big Christian movement going on. It's awesome!

Texas A&M is the BEST school EVER!

"There are a bunch of 'hicks'."

Kristine

The school is a perfect size and a perfect college town. College Station revolves around A&M and its students. We are all about tradition and spirit. A&M is the most unique school you will ever go to; no one else has 5 yell leaders that can control 40,000 students. I will always remember the chills I get every time I stand in Kyle Field and the Spirit of Aggieland plays.

A&M is not a very diverse campus, but minorities fit right in with every other student. Most students wear t-shirts and shorts or jeans to class. Most students are moderate to conservative. "Beat the hell outta liberals" shirts are sold at tent sales. :) The Corps of Cadets is also a big part of the student body, as they demonstrate hard work, pride, respect, discipline, and honor.

We are the Home of the Fightin' Texas Aggie 12th Man! Whoop! A&M is the friendliest college campus and everyone is a part of the Aggie family. There are hundreds of traditions which make A&M the greatest university in the world.

All professors are very helpful and willing to get to know you. They all want you to succeed. Most say "Howdy!" to get students attention at the beginning of class. Students study a little throughout the week, but mainly before exam days. Texam A&M holds high standards for all of its students, and you have to really earn your Aggie ring. The education is geared at learning and some classes are more specifically for getting a job in the real world. Students can be very competitive, but mainly against making themselves better, and not against other students. In all of my classes so far, you can always find classmates willing to help and form study groups with. A&M is also very strict about academic dishonesty; on every test you will usually have to sign the Aggie Honor Code: "An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those that do." Earning a degree from A&M is a huge accomplishment.

There are over 800 organizations on campus, and if you can't find one you are interested in, you can make one yourself. I am involved in Pi Beta Phi Sorority, Aggie Habitat for Humanity, Sports for Kids, and Sport Management Society. Dorms are friendly for the most part, but I lived in Clements Hall and the entire dorm did everything together to make every feel included, and everyone leaves their door open to welcome others. Athletic events are a must. Our teams have so much pride and are so talented. Every game is so exciting and you have to go to a football game to understand the intensity of 12th man. The best quote we have that I believe is so true is "From the outside looking in you can't understand it, and from the inside looking out you can't explain it." Another tradition held every year is Muster, where Aggies from all over the world gather in remembrance for fallen Aggies of that current year. On the other hand, people are always partying. Between house parties, the Hall, and bars on Northgate, you are guaranteed a fun time. There are always country and rock bands as well as dance halls that are full of students. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of students who don't party. Fraternities and sororities are not that important relative to other schools. We do have 12 strong sororities and about 22 fraternities, but A&M is not based on Greek life.

Phil

A&M is large, 45,000 students strong. However, it doesn't seem like that many once you get into class and learn to communicate well with students and the university as a whole. It will feel as a small town with friendly people abundant.

A&M does tend be to politically active. I am a member of Texas A&M Republicans...and theres many other groups to join as well. Different types of students interact daily. At the same table amongst a group of friends, you'll have people who grew up thinking their high school was big with 12 graduates as well as students that graduated HS with 900+ fellow graduates. Both types of students carry different mindsets and personalities, but all get along well in the A&M environment.

the A&M atmosphere is hard to describe in words. Its an amazing thing that you must live to understand and appreciate it. The brotherhood and common friendliness is hard to find anywhere else in the world. And NO, this isn't a cult deal either. Its a large group of united friends.

A&M academics are career training as well as learning. Almost all classes will outline careers and learning through the semester. There are lots of career training courses available, with opportunities to gain certifications in many fields.

1) FALSE! there's 45,000 students at Texas A&M, and 12,000-15,000 more at neighboring Blinn. Although a few groups do carry cult like characteristics, just like frats or sororities would at any university, but almost all students have their own defining characteristics. Infact, many students are strong individuals and depend little on the groups or "cults" to get by. Everyone can find the click at A&M somewhere somehow. 2) FALSE. A&M is becoming more diverse by my standards for sure. Yes, its not as culturally influenced like maybe UT is, but A&M has several different ethnic groups these days. Just last week I met a very friendly doctorate student from India. He came to the US to attend A&M and loves every minute of A&M life. A&M does still maintain a conservative background, which is strongly appreciated by staff and students. 3) While A&M is not easy, its not hard either if you seek out the right group of people like study groups and helpful TA's. If you put in the effort, A&M will treat you just fine. However, if you are lazy, grades will kick you in the rear. A&M isn't a place to show up on test day and make an A everytime....you have to put in the effort, but once you have developed the skills to communicate well with profs, TA's, and other students, A&M is not "hard." 4) This isn't a popular stereotype, infact A&M usually carries the stereotype of being extremely friendly. I heard a few conflicting reports of this before attending A&M. I can honestly say A&M staff and students are the most easy going, friendly, and loving people I have ever been around. Once again, this is a mindset as well. If you come to A&M being lazy and never showing up to class, you will not get extraordinary treatment from staff and students in class. Once again, put in the effort to know staff and students and you will be amazed at the friendliness this university has to offer.

1) Texas A&M is a cult 2) only white, country folks attend A&M 3) A&M is extremely hard 4) A&M students and faculty are rude/hard to work with

There's ALWAYS something social to go if you seek out the many groups. There is literally hundreds of student groups at A&M catering to all different types of beliefs and passions.

Katelyn

Even though A&M is a pretty big school, I still run into people I know everywhere. And to top that all off, a lot of people I meet will already know my other friends... weird. The school spirit here is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! At first I wasn't sure I was into it all, but it is fun really fun. If you haven't been to a football game... GO! It changed my entire attitude about A&M becuase it was just that fun. Anyways, basically I hang out with friends in the dorm a lot and we'll go watch sporting events, see a movie (only $4), or eat. We eat a lot... haha. Being in a samll college town is fun because everything is geared towards college kids and it's just a lot of fun.

Everyone wears shorts and a t-shirt to class. Seriously... i have no idea what to do with all my nice clothes. A lot of people do seem to be conservative, but that's not always a bad thing. All the boys hold open the doors for girls and will give up seats on the bus for girls too... awww. A&M's not very racially diverse, but they're working on it.

People LOVE to joke that we are a cult school with crazy traditions. But if you don't go to A&M you just don't understand all the fun and school spirit that goes along with all those "crazy" traditions. It's actually a lot of fun! And a lot of those traditions are really meaningful... ask anyone about Muster and then you'll understand.

Athletic events are a huge hit. You should see the basketball and football games! But there are tons of other things to do to. Rudder theater shows old movies on Fridays (I saw Across the Universe there) and organizations like Fade to Black (a dance group) perform and they're really good. There's always a party to find if you're into that but plenty of people aren't into the party scene either. Almost all my friends I met either at fish camp or in my dorm and none of them drink. We have fun just chillin and hanging out.

People always told me that since I was going to a big school I would never have small classes or have to write papers. Well they were sorely mistaken. Although I do have classes with 350 people, I also have classes with only 20 people and both types of classes have taken attendance. And this past semester I wrote at least 4 research papers. Classes are hard, but most teachers are fair and if you work hard, you can get a good grade. I'm an allied health major and the P.A. schools in Texas are always half full of Aggies. (Which is really really good!) Also, most profs are really willing to work with you outside of class if you need help.

Eric

We take a tremendous amount of pride in our traditions and our school. To become an Aggie is to become part of a network of people tied together through our common experiences which reaches across the globe. You will get out of it as much and more than you put in, and it is an experience which goes far beyond a good education.

Our school does not have a great deal of divereity. There is some diversity, however, and there are differences between people, but with the exception of the few extreme individuals, everyone is pretty open and caring. Just like anywhere though, if you define yourself by the quirks which you see as being your personality rather than just aspects of who you are, then you will make a fool of yourself.

Northgate is our bar strip and has a pretty decent night seen, there are other places to learn and go two stepping, or jitterbugging if you get adventurous, but we don't have a huge clubbing scene. Big Event is huge here, and over half of the student body normally participates in it. We have a great Rec Center, with brand new lifting equipment and facilities to do almost any sport you might be into. We have our fun around here but it doesn't normally get too crazy.

We're a quality school with high academic standards. This means classes can be challenging and frustrating, but they can also be rewarding. We have several programs which are ranked among the best in the nation, but it is not a liberal arts school.

There are lots of pickups, and there are hicks, but what I've found is that there are more genuinely good people who actually care in this city then any other college campus I have ever been on.

We're a bunch of redkneck pickup driving hicks.

Texas A & M University-College Station administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.