New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Kathleen

Following the devastation of hurricane Katrina, Tulane University overhauled and refurbished its main priorities, transforming it into a university focused on producing well-educated individuals not only exposed to information and vigorous courses, but also the community and those in need. Tulane forces its students out into the community and inspires every individual to give back through the service learning requirements established by the university, producing involved, driven individuals with compassion for others and the desire to go beyond the expected to achieve their goal(s).

Tulane University has provided me not only with the resources for a better education, but has exposed me to a completely new world that has in turn changed me as an individual. Located in New Orleans, the university strives to reveal the city?s unique and awe-inspiring culture to its students, bringing local staples to campus and encouraging students to venture through the historically rich streets of the city. Tulane further pushes its students to get involved and develop a desire to aid those in need and give back to the community through 20-hour and 40-hour service learning requirements necessary to graduate. Tulane has provided me with every outlet necessary to get in touch with my inner New Orleanean, giving me an entirely new sense of community and place in society. The esteemed professors have not only managed to instill knowledge in me, but have inspired me to take my life in a significantly new direction, a direction that focuses on the needs of others, the environment, and the planet as a whole. This institution has been the catalyst in the unearthing of me as an individual and my appetite to better myself and society.

Although I was aware of the unique culture of New Orleans and the catastrophic impact of Katrina, I was barely prepared for the culture shock upon my arrival and the astonishing amount of dismantled and ravaged communities that remain years post-Katrina. New Orleaneans have a greater sense of community and culture than any population I?ve encountered, preserving their unique culture, cuisine, and music that is nonexistent in any other place. The devastation from Katrina is nauseating as homes remain fractured with a lack of aid. These unexpected factors, both positive and negative greatly impacted me for the better.

Joseph

Sometimes the Freshman dorm can be a little rowdy, and it does rain alot here and the campus can get soggy. When I am in my dorm, I like quiet sometimes, but it is not so bad, I can always go to the library. It really has been a great Freshman experience overall.

I think that in order to attend Tulane and be successful, you need to have some discipline. It can get distracting here, and even though some people like to have fun, most people who will succeed here are the ones who can maintain a balance between the fun and the academics.

Attending college has been a turning point in my life. Not only have I obtained further academic knowledge, I feel that I have already grown tremendously in the seven short months that I have been at Tulane University. Although I was very nervous about being away from home, I have quickly adjusted and feel now that I have the confidence to do most anything. I think that is more valuable than most rote knowledge that I can ever grasp. I have met people from many different cultures, states and countries. I have sharpened my social skills of tolerance, patience and open-mindedness. I also feel that the professors at Tulane truly care about the students and it is more of a partnership in which we are involved. They see the importance of educating the entire person, not just forcing facts into your mind. They continue to teach me life lessons that I will take with me wherever I go. I cannot say enough about what I have obtained in my short time here, and what makes it even more exciting is that I have three more years to grow. Not many people get this sort of opportunity.

Karrington

Looking back in retrospect, the biggest piece of advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to broaden my horizons, and not have such a set plan for my life. I came into college with a whole ten year plan. I knew, or so I thought, that going to medical school and becoming a doctor was my life goal. I had a detailed list of how I would attain this goal. First semester freshman year I took both Cell Biology and Chemistry and it was the worst situation I had ever experienced. I quickly realized that being a doctor and going to medical school were just not going to work for me. Now I'm in my second semester of my freshman year and am devestated and lost because I have no idea what direction I want my life to go in, and that is a scary feeling. Now I'm not saying it's not good to have a plan, because it is. My advice is to prepare yourself for the change, be ready for it, and have some back up plans as well.

A person should attend this school if they are a fun, outgoing person that likes to have fun, but at the same time knows when to focus and can avoid distractions to get the work done. New Orleans is a very entertaining city that has a lot going on, all of the time. A person attending this school should be able to have a good balance of work and fun.

I wish I had known how to better manage my time. in high school I learned all sorts of college prep tips, including time management. It didnt really hit me until after recieving my first semester 1.62 GPA, that time management is the best skill that will get me through college and beyond.

Devin

As undergraduate students at Tulane University we are encouraged to and given the the freedom to study under multiple subject areas, which results in a high rate of double and triple majors on campus.

I believe that any person that is willing to work hard and learn should attend Tulane University. For there is oppertunity here for people that are set on studying one thing as well as those who wish to delve into multiple subject areas.

No more than a few months to this day will mark the completion of my first year as a college student here at Tulane University and I have learned so much already. If there were anyway to go back in time right now, I would go back to tell myself as well as my peers a few key things to ensure that they're time in college is free of stress. For starters, I would emphasize the importance of being on time and diligent with everything from going to class to meeting payment deadlines. Next I would speak make sure to note how imperative it is to keep in contact with your proffesors and to get help when it is needed, whether you get help from your teacher, a friend or tutor. Also I would have to stress that they have to utilize the facilities given to them on campus, whether its councling, tutoring, work or anything else that your school offers you. Lastly I would say to be open to meeting people and making friends of all different backgrounds whether they are black, white, hispanic, rich or poor.

Allison

1. The first thing I would tell myself is to get involved. By joining the band and being part of all of the activities I'm involved with, I'm defining my own college experience. Get out there, discover new interests, and make friends with all of the people whom you work with. 2.) Everything happens for a reason. I did not get into my dream school, and at that time I thought life had ended as I knew it. But now, I would never take back or change my decision to come to Tulane. It's been remarkable! 3.) Time magangement is the most important tool you need to be successful in college. Develop it early and you'll be able to do all the activites and classes you want to do.

There is so many opportunities and things to do its hard to balance it all!

Derek

I wish I would have known how difficult my first semester course load actually was. At the time I was an engineering major taking Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus. I wish I would have known that more studying would have been neccesary for me to succeed in this semester. I also wish I would have known that sleep is not as easy when you have a roommate that does not sleep on the same schedule. I would have stressed to find a roommate with a better sleep schedule. I also wish I would have known doing community service is not as easy as it sounds. Between homework and extracurriculars it is difficult to find extra time to help the community. This is really the only things I was not prepared for as I went off to college.

Deborah

Students from the wealthy and popular backgrounds do the best here. It's not a great school for nonconformity.

The cost. It's a great school, but I have to work 2 jobs just to feed myself. Not worth the money at all.

I would advise myself to consider which schools were more right for someone like me. Where would I fit in fairly well, and where would I be treated like an outsider? I definitely would have chosen differently if I had realized how much of a shock moving from the "'hood" to a mostly upper-class neighborhood would be. And how much of a pain finances would become. Tulane is a wonderful school, but it portrays itself as something it isn't- as an all-encompassing, community-loving servant of the people that is adored by the city it occupies, when just the opposite is true. It'll be a great school for anyone who is okay with that, but it's a terrible fit for me, and I wish I had chosen differently.

What's unique about this school is the location. New Orleans is considered by most as the most unique city in America, and in my opinion, it is. There are plenty of things to do off campus. All kinds of music artists play down here, from rock, hip-hop, techno, and even reggae, so it is plenty of fun to see some shows. There is also a lot of history in New Orleans, and it's fun to walk around and explore.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would most likely say, "Don't always take it easy in the Big Easy." Even though it is college, there isn't a lot of stress, because it is laid-back in Tulane. The only major stress-periods come from the very beginning of the year, when we adjust to college life, and during major exams. Because of this, I didn't spend a lot of time studying, when there was plenty of time. Although I did use up a lot of my time, hanging out with friends, working out, etc., I still clearly had a lot of time studying. It's not that I did bad on any tests, but I could've done better if I updated and reviewed my knowledge daily. Other than that, I would say, "Have a good time, learn a lot, and make a lot of friends." Open up to everyone, make conversations with strangers, and in general, be friendly, because this is a very friendly and personal campus. One last small thing I would also say is: Don't waste a lot of money on alcohol.

In reality, there isn't one "type" of person who could attend this school. This school is pretty diverse (not racially, but socially). There are all kinds of people, and everyone is easy-going with each other. Everyone attending Tulane is smart, or at least at the top percentiles of their high school class, so there really aren't any "nerds" - as everyone here could be one. Just about everyone likes to have a good time, any day, and night, of the week.

Kayci

Tulane University can be summed up in one word: dynamic.

Tulane University can be summed up in one word: dynamic.

Tulane's most unique characteristic is its location: New Orleans. Tulane and New Orleans are now and have always been impossibly intertwined. The spirit of the city is embodied by the students, faculty, events, and mission of this university. The biggest draw is that Tulane is a main contributor to the renaissance of one of the world's greatest cities. TU is majorly involved in every step of the rebuilding process. No other university could offer me such a rewarding undergraduate experience, both inside the classroom and out.

If I were capable of going back in time to my senior year, there are a number of things I would tell myself. For instance, I would encourage myself to go to class - bonus points awarded for getting there on time, prepared, and not in pajamas. I blew off so much of my senior year workload in favor of celebrating my last year of high school, and I really regret not paying enough attention now. Another important bit of advice I'd hand over would be to take the ACT early and often instead of waiting until four months before graduation. I would also encourage myself to study for it - a 31 sounds great, but in reality, it hasn't afforded me as many scholarship opportunities as I would have liked. A 33 in conjuction with a well-maintained GPA would have been my golden ticket. Finally, I would tell myself to set my college sights high and keep them in mind during my senior year. Having prestigious university admission as a goal would have been a key motivating factor my senior year, and it would have prevented me having to wait until spring (the "off-season") to be admitted.

Tulane I think is best known for its survival of Hurrican Katrina. In the words of the movie Aladain, it was a diamond in the rough. Many people though that New Orleans and Tulane would never be able to recover, but Tulane set a shining example for the city by reopening the next semester and becoming stronger than ever before. Out of tragedy, Tulane found ways to make positive changes, not only on campus but also in the whole City of New Orleans. Tulane's community efforts have been very admirable.

The number one thing I would tell myself would be to relax. I was so high strung about the college selection process. It wasn't that I was afraid I wouldn't get in (I was accepted to my first school in September I believe), it was just that I had my mind set on one idea. I thought I had my life all planned out. And yet despite all my confidence in myself, I had doubt below the surface. I applied to nine schools, which in retrospect was a waste of time and money. Three of the schools I applied to didn't send responses until late March or early April, so I agonized over what would happen for months. In the end, the decision came down not to which school was most prestigious, but which one offered me the best deal for my family and my future, and I chose accordingly. I am so happy with my decision. It has been one of the best choices I ever made. Ironically, the school I go to I had applied to on impulse. i just wish that senior-me had taken more time to relax and appreciate life.

I wish I had known how cold 60 degrees could feel. Being from the Chicago area I'm used to the freezing cold of winter. I left almost all my warm clothes at home thinking I wouldn't need them at all. But then I adapted to the climate, and so up until I went home for Thanksgiving I was walking around shivering, even though on the standards of back home it was barely cold at all.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.