New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Michelle

Truth be told, my only main attraction to Tulane while applying to college was the free application. When it ended up being my only option financially, I was less than thrilled. Two years in, I now laugh at how much I was overlooking about my college experience. Yes, Tulane has aspects that I wish I could change-- it is incredibly racially homogenous, and the social life becomes stifling as a result. I watch people, however, from all over the country come and fall head over heels in love with New Orleans, and it changes everything. New Orleans is a child that we all care for, and the people, the history, the suffering and inequality still so evident, the uncertainty of the future-- all of these factors give students a unique role in the fate of a city that allows us to grow up in profound ways. Mardi Gras aside, the city has changed my life--- and I could not be more indebted to it. Every time I step foot into the city I am learning justice, politics, grief, celebration, and most of all, how to enjoy every step of life in ways that could never be learned through books.

New Orleans is the best possible environment for me to attend college, tons of learning opportunities, the spirit that comes from being in the city that is emphasized by TUlane is great

Michelle

I would say my classmates are varied because not a single one is alike and we all come from many diverse backgrounds which makes for a very multicultural campus.

The city of new orleans has a wonderful culture full of wonder and great people. The school itself has major roots in the community and often participates in fundraisers or community service programs. It's a wonderful place full of rich history and has a deep and meaningful story behind its legacy.

I've learned how to manage my time most certainly but I've also learned what it's like to really get a valuable edcuation. I've met many different people and I meet more every day. Everyone here has their own opinion and I truly enjoy the ability to share my own. I feel more empowered and so very lucky to get this experience.

The best thing about Tulane is definitley being in New Orleans and the nightlife associated with that. There is always something going on! One thing I would change is the quality of the food in the dining hall. Tulane is just the right size: big enough that you are always meeting new people but small enough that you recieve a personal education and can always find people you know when you go out. A lot of people have heard of Tulane and associate it with New Orleans. People know its a good school but that students party a lot. On campus I spend a lot of time in the common room of my dorm, in the dining hall and on the various quads around campus (sunbathing happens pretty much year round). Tulane is in uptown and there are a lot of bars and restaurants in the area that cater to college students but we are in a city so the idea of a town that revolves around the University is not really there. New Orleans has an amazing culture to explore. There is a lot of school pride but it is shown differently. Tulanians are proud to go to Tulane but we don't really show our pride through our sports teams (they aren't that great). Mardi Gras is an amazing experience that one doesn't find at most schools: it is a week of parades, beads, partying from the morning into the night in ridiculous outfits. I will always remember the night the Saints won the superbowl, the celebration was incredible and everyone was so exicited it was a once in a lifetime opportunity!

There is a good mix of students at Tulane but it is predominately white upper/middle class. There are people from all sorts of political backgrounds. If you are not a social person or are not into partying it might be harder to find a niche...not that one does not exist you just might be annoyed by a lot of the students. Students where a range of clothes to class from gym shorts/t-shirts to cute dresses with flats.

Tulane students definitely party and drink a lot, but wew also work hard academically. While there are a lot of Jewish people at Tulane...that's not every body. Tulane gives out a lot of scholarships so not everyone is rich.

Classes are generally small, my biggest class was around 50 but most were around 20-25. The majority of the professors take the time to know their students by name and are readily accessible for help if needed. My favorite class was International Relations but the most unique was glass blowing. My least favorite was intro to microeconomics. Students study on a regular basis but there is definitely an increase when finals roll around.

That we party/drink a lot. That there are a lot of rich Jewish people.

The athletic events are semi-popular but not everyone goes. Tulane is more of a casual hook up then serious relationship school, but a good amount are in relationships. I met my closest friends on my floor freshman year as well as out at night and in class. At 2am on a Tuesday I am most likely drinking at the Boot for 50 cent night! One big tradition is Crawfest: free crawfish boil and music all day. People generally party/go out 4 times a week: tuesdays,thursdays, fridays and saturdays are the most popular. Frats/sororities are a part of the social and can be a lot of fun but they are not necessary to having a full social life. If you don't drink there is a lot of great music in New Orleans and a lot of really yummy places to eat. Off campus I go to bars and restaurants withing walking distance, go to Audobon Park which is across the street, Magazine street which has a bunch of cute shops and down to the quarter for beignets and hand grenades.

Kathleen

Following the devastation of hurricane Katrina, Tulane University overhauled and refurbished its main priorities, transforming it into a university focused on producing well-educated individuals not only exposed to information and vigorous courses, but also the community and those in need. Tulane forces its students out into the community and inspires every individual to give back through the service learning requirements established by the university, producing involved, driven individuals with compassion for others and the desire to go beyond the expected to achieve their goal(s).

Tulane University has provided me not only with the resources for a better education, but has exposed me to a completely new world that has in turn changed me as an individual. Located in New Orleans, the university strives to reveal the city?s unique and awe-inspiring culture to its students, bringing local staples to campus and encouraging students to venture through the historically rich streets of the city. Tulane further pushes its students to get involved and develop a desire to aid those in need and give back to the community through 20-hour and 40-hour service learning requirements necessary to graduate. Tulane has provided me with every outlet necessary to get in touch with my inner New Orleanean, giving me an entirely new sense of community and place in society. The esteemed professors have not only managed to instill knowledge in me, but have inspired me to take my life in a significantly new direction, a direction that focuses on the needs of others, the environment, and the planet as a whole. This institution has been the catalyst in the unearthing of me as an individual and my appetite to better myself and society.

Although I was aware of the unique culture of New Orleans and the catastrophic impact of Katrina, I was barely prepared for the culture shock upon my arrival and the astonishing amount of dismantled and ravaged communities that remain years post-Katrina. New Orleaneans have a greater sense of community and culture than any population I?ve encountered, preserving their unique culture, cuisine, and music that is nonexistent in any other place. The devastation from Katrina is nauseating as homes remain fractured with a lack of aid. These unexpected factors, both positive and negative greatly impacted me for the better.

Joseph

I think that in order to attend Tulane and be successful, you need to have some discipline. It can get distracting here, and even though some people like to have fun, most people who will succeed here are the ones who can maintain a balance between the fun and the academics.

Sometimes the Freshman dorm can be a little rowdy, and it does rain alot here and the campus can get soggy. When I am in my dorm, I like quiet sometimes, but it is not so bad, I can always go to the library. It really has been a great Freshman experience overall.

Attending college has been a turning point in my life. Not only have I obtained further academic knowledge, I feel that I have already grown tremendously in the seven short months that I have been at Tulane University. Although I was very nervous about being away from home, I have quickly adjusted and feel now that I have the confidence to do most anything. I think that is more valuable than most rote knowledge that I can ever grasp. I have met people from many different cultures, states and countries. I have sharpened my social skills of tolerance, patience and open-mindedness. I also feel that the professors at Tulane truly care about the students and it is more of a partnership in which we are involved. They see the importance of educating the entire person, not just forcing facts into your mind. They continue to teach me life lessons that I will take with me wherever I go. I cannot say enough about what I have obtained in my short time here, and what makes it even more exciting is that I have three more years to grow. Not many people get this sort of opportunity.

Karrington

Looking back in retrospect, the biggest piece of advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to broaden my horizons, and not have such a set plan for my life. I came into college with a whole ten year plan. I knew, or so I thought, that going to medical school and becoming a doctor was my life goal. I had a detailed list of how I would attain this goal. First semester freshman year I took both Cell Biology and Chemistry and it was the worst situation I had ever experienced. I quickly realized that being a doctor and going to medical school were just not going to work for me. Now I'm in my second semester of my freshman year and am devestated and lost because I have no idea what direction I want my life to go in, and that is a scary feeling. Now I'm not saying it's not good to have a plan, because it is. My advice is to prepare yourself for the change, be ready for it, and have some back up plans as well.

I wish I had known how to better manage my time. in high school I learned all sorts of college prep tips, including time management. It didnt really hit me until after recieving my first semester 1.62 GPA, that time management is the best skill that will get me through college and beyond.

A person should attend this school if they are a fun, outgoing person that likes to have fun, but at the same time knows when to focus and can avoid distractions to get the work done. New Orleans is a very entertaining city that has a lot going on, all of the time. A person attending this school should be able to have a good balance of work and fun.

Devin

I believe that any person that is willing to work hard and learn should attend Tulane University. For there is oppertunity here for people that are set on studying one thing as well as those who wish to delve into multiple subject areas.

No more than a few months to this day will mark the completion of my first year as a college student here at Tulane University and I have learned so much already. If there were anyway to go back in time right now, I would go back to tell myself as well as my peers a few key things to ensure that they're time in college is free of stress. For starters, I would emphasize the importance of being on time and diligent with everything from going to class to meeting payment deadlines. Next I would speak make sure to note how imperative it is to keep in contact with your proffesors and to get help when it is needed, whether you get help from your teacher, a friend or tutor. Also I would have to stress that they have to utilize the facilities given to them on campus, whether its councling, tutoring, work or anything else that your school offers you. Lastly I would say to be open to meeting people and making friends of all different backgrounds whether they are black, white, hispanic, rich or poor.

As undergraduate students at Tulane University we are encouraged to and given the the freedom to study under multiple subject areas, which results in a high rate of double and triple majors on campus.

Allison

1. The first thing I would tell myself is to get involved. By joining the band and being part of all of the activities I'm involved with, I'm defining my own college experience. Get out there, discover new interests, and make friends with all of the people whom you work with. 2.) Everything happens for a reason. I did not get into my dream school, and at that time I thought life had ended as I knew it. But now, I would never take back or change my decision to come to Tulane. It's been remarkable! 3.) Time magangement is the most important tool you need to be successful in college. Develop it early and you'll be able to do all the activites and classes you want to do.

There is so many opportunities and things to do its hard to balance it all!

Derek

I wish I would have known how difficult my first semester course load actually was. At the time I was an engineering major taking Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus. I wish I would have known that more studying would have been neccesary for me to succeed in this semester. I also wish I would have known that sleep is not as easy when you have a roommate that does not sleep on the same schedule. I would have stressed to find a roommate with a better sleep schedule. I also wish I would have known doing community service is not as easy as it sounds. Between homework and extracurriculars it is difficult to find extra time to help the community. This is really the only things I was not prepared for as I went off to college.

Deborah

Students from the wealthy and popular backgrounds do the best here. It's not a great school for nonconformity.

The cost. It's a great school, but I have to work 2 jobs just to feed myself. Not worth the money at all.

I would advise myself to consider which schools were more right for someone like me. Where would I fit in fairly well, and where would I be treated like an outsider? I definitely would have chosen differently if I had realized how much of a shock moving from the "'hood" to a mostly upper-class neighborhood would be. And how much of a pain finances would become. Tulane is a wonderful school, but it portrays itself as something it isn't- as an all-encompassing, community-loving servant of the people that is adored by the city it occupies, when just the opposite is true. It'll be a great school for anyone who is okay with that, but it's a terrible fit for me, and I wish I had chosen differently.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.