New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

The typical stereotype at Tulane University is that the student body is full of rich kids and also a majority of Jewish kids. Sometimes the university is referred to as Jewlane. While there area large number of financially blessed students and a large number of Jewish students, I'd say there's also a significant number of students here by scholarship. Financial status does not matter once you are here, and almost everyone here is involved with on-campus jobs to help pay for school. Also, Tulane has a large number of religious organizations of all kinds. And anybody could get involved, even if they aren't religious. The activities are endless. Also, the first question people tend to ask when hearing a student goes to Tulane is "Oh, you must be smart, huh?". While it is true that you have to had succeeded academically to get into Tulane, the student body is certainly not made up of the typical 'geeks'.

Morgan

I absolutely love being at Tulane. I immensely enjoy being in the city of New Orleans and I feel a sense of community and belonging not only to the school but to the city as a whole. I find that Tulane is just the right size. It seems like a fairly small school, but this breeds a sense of community throughout the student body without making students feel restricted in the way they spend their time and in who they spend their time with. There is never a shortage of on campus or off campus events, and the culture in New Orleans is one that enables students to engage in a variety of activities and it ensures a unique experience for everyone willing to open themselves up to new ideas.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I loved Tulane from the moment I first saw it. My cousin took me around campus and gave me a tour and I was amazed at the beauty of the campus and at the surrounding city. I scheduled an official tour and found out about the amazing academic standards of the university as well as the numerous community service opportunities offered by Tulane and the student groups within it. Quite a few of the programs offers 4 +1 programs, in which you are able to receive a bachelors and masters degree in only 5 years. Also, Tulane offers significant financial aid to those who need it which for me was a no-brainer. I loved the school and I loved the city and together they provide an unforgettable college experience.

In terms of academics, Tulane holds its students to standards equivalent to those in ivy league schools. The courses are rigorous, but not impossible to pass. Professors are always willing to help students who have difficulty grasping specific concepts, and if students need additional help, there is a free tutoring center on campus. Most of the classes I have taken have had approximately 30 students each, but I have also taken a few large lecture classes (100-200 students), but I have never felt as through a professor was not available to answer questions and to address any concerns I have had about course material. In my time here, I have taken classes I never thought would capture my attention, and have actually decided to declare a second major. I have accomplished things here academically that I never thought possible, such as sustaining a high GPA and doubling my workload purely because I enjoy the academic environment at Tulane.

A lot of people stereotype Tulane as being a predominantly Jewish school (jokingly nicknamed "Jewlane") and, as much as I don't like to perpetuate stereotypes, this one is pretty accurate. However, I found out that the reason has some pretty interesting historical roots. I learned that during WWII, there was some pretty significant discrimination of Jewish Americans, even in our own country, and that Tulane was one of the few places that served as a safe haven for those of Jewish descent who were often not welcomed in other areas of our nation.

Yonatan

Tulane students are most often stereotyped as rich white kids from up north who want to go to New Orleans and party it up all the time. While it is true that there are many entitled partiers and frat kids, the majority of the student body is unified by values other than copious amounts of alcohol. More important than partying, most Tulane students are kids with a heart who are attracted to New Orleans either because of its culture, music, romance, or overall charm, and because they know that the surrounding community is one which is still recovering from one of the worst natural disasters to hit the US in the past decade. I would argue that a more accurate stereotype of Tulane students would be friends and compassionate. You don't go to Tulane unless you are willing to help rebuild New Orleans.

Alex

About 1/3 of all undergrads are involved in Greek life. The dating scene here is primarily hook up based as opposed to long term relationships. Athletics are not popular here, mostly because our teams are not that good, so I would urge anyone looking for a division one school to really look elsewhere. Partying is a big thing here. The city itself lends well to that atmosphere. Getting alcohol is never a problem and going to bars is what people do almost every day.

The school is predominately white. Outside of that it consists of an even mix of Asian and African-Americans. There is a strong LGBT presence on campus, and it is widely accepted (I have friends that are LGBT, so I know about the social aspects of that part of campus life). There is a really strong Jewish presence on campus, but it's not felt unless you actively go to be part of it. Students tend to be from more well off families, but there are those that could not otherwise come to this school if it weren't for very generous scholarships. Most students are from the northeast, but there is also a large pull from FL, TX, LA, and CA. The rest of the student body is greatly varied. As far as politics are concerned, most students lean conservative, especially when considering a college campus. However, there is also a louder left voice on campus, but the numbers don't seem to be on their side. Students are very concerned with how much they'll earn one day. If they aren't, that means they have some goals in life to be more of a non-profit social change maker. That is one type that is also very common on campus.

The academics vary greatly by major. Most kids are ok with not doing a lot of work until a test comes along, and then, depending on the class, may only need a night to study or at most a few days. Besides the general science classes that every Pre-med student needs to take, classes are decently small. I'm a triple major (it's not that uncommon) in Political Economy, German, and International Relations with a minor in Philosophy. The political economy major is my primary one, and my experience with everyone inside it has been amazing. All the professors really know and like to teach the subject. That makes being in class much more tolerable (which when you get to pick all your classes is a really important aspect).

The main stereotype is rich, white kids, primarily from the northeast. This demographic definitely is felt most widely on campus, as money does help move things in college life. There are however many students that don't fit this stereotype, but they are less likely to be found out partying as much as some students can afford to. Frat and sorority types are very common on campus.

Lee

I would tell myself to definitely try and work on my time management skills.

I would tell myself to definitely try and work on my time management skills.

The WiFi connection is very inconsistent.

A person who likes academically challenging classes, but also likes to party it up in a city unlike any other.

Jesse

You'll definitely notice people from the Jewish community. It hasn't been nicknamed "Jewlane" for nothing. About a quarter of Tulanians are Jewish, and they range from Orthodox to non-practicing. Second, you'll notice plenty of frat kids, as Greek life thrives in the Big Easy. In general, there will be plenty of nerds, since Tulane's a private research university with a decent science program. All in all, however, Tulane is actually very diverse, and "Jewlane" is pretty inaccurate.

Allison

A lot of people see us as a Jewish school (Jewlane) or a party school (I've heard that our unofficial motto is "First we out think you, then we out drink you.").

The only stereotype I can think of for Tulane is "Jewlane," due to the high number of Jewish people that attend. I don't think that's exactly accurate though. While, yes, a number of students at Tulane are Jewish (there are two Jewish centers for Tulane), there are many other types of people present.

What are the most popular classes offered?

I don't think any class is particularly "popular," but some classes do fill faster than others. Classes that are in lecture halls tend to fill pretty quick, which sucks if you have a bad registration time. Those classes are like chemistry and Diversity of Life, which is an EBio course. Different classes are popular with different majors, it's just up to you to decide what you want to take. Also, if a "popular" class for your major is full, get on the wait list. You never know how many people will drop.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend involves a lot of going out. There are always things to do and people to see. Most stops involve the Boot for happy hour, then to Roccos or a frat party, then back to the Boot. If going out isn't your thing, Tulane After Dark always has things going on Thursday through Saturday. There is swing dancing, trivia night, and drag queen bingo, just to name a few. On Saturday and Sunday, Bruff serves breakfast a lot later than normal, but they also have lunch stuff out too. People are usually seen during the day trying to relax any way they can (i.e. wearing sweats, tanning in the quad, frisbee).

Tell us about your professors.

I think the professors are pretty cool in general. You do come across some that appear evil, though. Just like students, every professor is different: they help out and teach different ways. You are going to get some professors that you don't like, but that's ok. By the end of the semester you may learn to like them. My professors, for the most part, have been pretty cool. I think my favorite, though, was my French II professor, Madam Voltz. She was one of the best, most helpful teachers I have ever experienced, She is suppers supportive of everyone, and she brings out the best in people. A tip for professors though, after you get to know them, you realize they fit into their profession (like English professors seem like English professors, scientists seem like scientists, etc.).

Every freshman should know to calm down, and don't try to show off. We know you're freshmen, we were in your spot too. Don't talk down about teachers or TAs about grades if you don't put in the time and effort, this isn't high school. Professors are there to help you get ready for the real world. College is different than high school, and you are going to have to adapt. Just keep calm and carry on. =] Don't feel pressured to do something just because you hear an older student talking about it.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

A big issue on campus involves the workers. Most of the Tulane food employees are hired by a company called Sodexo. Sodexo doesn't pay the workers a lot, and they have a bad history poor work conditions. Students are trying to change that though, and get better working conditions and wages for the workers.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The best part is there is always something to do on campus. Whether a frat is having a party, bar specials (if you're of age), TUCP puts on a movie or concert, or you go to Tulane After Dark, you will always have something to do and someone to do it with. I don't really think there are bad parts of the Tulane social scene, besides the fact that fun stuff always happens when you have something important to do.

When you step off campus what do you see?

This all depends on where you step off campus. If you step off campus in front of Gibson, you will see St. Charles Street, home to a street car line, and Audubon Park, which is a good place to study or relax or take pictures. If you step of campus by Newcomb, you will see Broadway Street, home to the Greek houses and the Boot! There are completely different areas surrounding Tulane, it's just up to you to decide what you want to see!

I think the feel, as weird as that sounds, is what's unique about Tulane. We are an old school, founded in 1834, and have a mixture of old and new architecture. I've also heard that we are a Northern school placed in the South (33% of students are from the Northeast), and that we are the Harvard of the South. We also have the largest free-standing dome in the Northern Hemisphere, McAlister Auditorium! We also play football in the Dome. Who else can say they do that on a regular basis?

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Food is always on the minds of college kids. Unlike some of the bigger schools, we only have one cafeteria, Bruff. Bruff is decent, but not the best. As I've said in another question, check EVERYTHING. The LBC, on the other hand, is pretty good. It has Freshens Smoothies, Lagniappe (which means "a little extra"), Einsteins Bagels, Baja Fresh, Byblos (I think I spelled that right...), Panda Express, Wall of Greens (for salads), and a sushi place. The LBC takes Wavebucks, so you don't have to pay with cash or credit. There is also the Drawing Board Cafe, which I've never been to, in the architecture building. I've heard it's pretty good though. There are 3 different PJs coffees spread around campus: one under Stern (called PJs under Stern. Go figure.), one in the library, and PJs on Willow, which is on Willow Street. They have pretty good coffee, but there is usually a line, so don't go when you're late!

My all-time favorite campus tradition is Crawfest!!! I love me some crawfish! Crawfest is a day long event on the LBC quad. Sixteen TONS of crawfish are brought in and boiled with potatoes (which are the best) and corn. If you are vegetarian, like many students at Tulane are, don't fret! There are other stands around the event that sell food too! Just be sure to bring money for them. Crawfest is free with a Tulane Splash Card and $10 for everyone else. There are also booths set up that gives students the opportunity to see some of what makes New Orleans amazing. If you've never eaten, or let alone seen, a crawfish, don't be alarmed! It's pretty easy to eat. Just pop (and twist) the tail off and unwrap it like you would a boiled shrimp!

What's the dating scene like?

I'm probably the worst person to answer this question because I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend since we graduated high school (we were in the same area and went to Tulane together =] ). However, from what I see, I don't think it's too bad. There are a lot of people on campus in relationships. I even think there is a speed dating event at the beginning of the year, but don't quote me on that! I think that as you go out and meet people, you will find someone who is "datable." =] Just don't be afraid to make conversation!

What do students complain about most?

Students definitely complain about the food the most. I don't blame them. Bruff isn't necessarily the *best* place in the world. I'm from the south, so I LOVE me some food, especially cajun/creole. I don't want to turn you off to the cafeteria, but I will give a warning: check EVERYTHING. Plates, utensils, cups, etc. Not everything is closely inspected for left over particles.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are typical dorms, for the most part. They are fairly small (except for Paterson), but you still have plenty of room for what you want to do. Only Freshmen and Sophomores are guaranteed housing, unfortunately. The freshmen dorms are Monroe (where I lived! Yay MO7!), Sharp, Butler (honors), JL (all girls), Paterson (I worked there) and Wall (you have to apply). The pictures online do NOT do the dorms justice. Trust me. They are a little better than the pictures. Also, keep in mind the only freshman dorm that doesn't have community bathrooms is Wall. Monroe is 12 stories (it sucks moving in there, trust me, but y'all don't have to lift a finger for any freshman dorm!), with kitchens on MO6 and MO12. It's usually co-ed by wing, but GUYS CANNOT USE GIRL BATHROOMS AND VICE VERSA! I think it's actually illegal. And you'll get a write-up. I think that MO was pretty cool, even though it wasn't my first choice. Monroe and Sharp are considered the "party dorms." Sharp! It has two sides- one 7 stories (Sharp Tall), and one is 4 stories (Sharp Short). I've never actually been in there, but I don't think it's too bad from what other people have told me/pictures I've seen. But please, for the love of all things good and pure, don't play frisbee in the hall. That happened to Sharp Short 1 my freshman year, and the whole first floor got flooded because it knocked off the sprinkler head. Everyone hated that kid. Butler, as I said, is the honors dorm. Don't let that fool you, though. You will still get the typical freshman experience. I personally don't think the rooms are that nice, but they aren't that bad. You'll stay in them during summer orientation. That's pretty much all I know about that dorm... JL! Or Josephine Louise, is the all girl dorm. I've never been in there, but unless you WANT to be surrounded by girls at all hours, go for it. Also, you may have a chance of winding up there if you apply to a popular dorm late. On the plus side, it has a sink. Paterson was pretty sweet. It's the Wellness dorm, but that doesn't really mean anything. All the people there were pretty chill. I worked at the front desk and pretty much learned everyone's faces by the first month. It has 3 floors: 1st is guys, 2nd is girls, and 3rd is guys. Girls, if you want Paterson, APPLY EARLY! Trust me. And it's one of the two co-ed dorms that have a sink. Trust me. That's pretty nice. Oh! And sophomores live on the balcony. Finally, Wall. It's also a freshman/sophomore dorm, but you have to apply. I've seen pictures, and the rooms are AMAZING! I said to myself that I didn't want to fill out another application, especially for a room, but I wish I did. The rooms are huge and nice and have a suit style bathroom.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

So far, my most memorable day was the day Bin Laden was killed. Yeah, that sounds a little morbid, but the campus went absolutely CRAZY! People swarmed the quads cheering, hung American Flags from balconies, and went crazy outside The Boot. For one night everyone came together to celebrate the beginning of the end of a war.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Tulane because I felt it was the best fit. Walking onto the campus sealed the deal for me. It's just the right size, there are different types of people, and it's in New Orleans (which is about 3 hours from home)! I knew Tulane was tough, and that's what encouraged me. I didn't want to be like my other classmates and go to state schools or community colleges. I wanted to make something out of myself, and I knew Tulane was the place to do that.

What's the Greek scene like?

I really enjoy the Greek scene on campus. We don't have the *biggest* Greek scene, but it's big enough for the school. We have seven sororities with one coming to campus next spring. The sororities are Phi Mu, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta, Sigma Delta Tau, Chi Omega, and AEPhi. The newest sorority is going to be Zeta Tau Alpha. The fraternities on campus are Alpha Epsilon Pi, Delta Tau Delta, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Zeta Psi. The fraternities usually have something going on every weekend, and word spreads fast about the events! We have spring recruitment, so if you don't know if you want to go through it or want to see what each one is like, there is plenty of time!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Unfortunately sports aren't the biggest thing on campus. Being from the south, I love, love, LOVE football. I'm friends with some of the football players here, actually.They are pretty cool dudes. However, there is never a huge turn out for games. We ARE building a football stadium on campus, though! It'll be done by 2014, but as of now our football games are played in the dome. Our basketball and baseball teams are pretty good. Our men are undefeated, and last year we started off the baseball season in the top 25. You don't hear too much about volleyball, track and field, and swim and dive though... But they are here! The swim and dive advertise meets and competitions, and those have been fun!

What are your classes like?

Right now I'm in almost all science and math classes. I will say they are pretty intense, but nothing actually reading for and taking time to study can't handle. I'm also currently in German 101, and I absolutely love it. The teachers are extremely helpful and knowledgable in all my classes, and they are always available via email or office hours. I won't, however, recommend taking 19 hours of almost pure sciences. As I said earlier they are pretty time consuming. Try to space them out a little!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best study places on campus are the LBC, the library, and PJs on Willow. As far as I know, the LBC and PJs are open all night, and the library closes at 3:45 AM on weeknights and 9:45 PM on the weekend. The library and the LBC have a lot of space space for studying, but if you want a booth at PJs, you better get there early!

Tulane's courses are unlike any I have ever seen. There is something for everyone's interests. Most of the class sizes are pretty small, with the largest usually being the chemistry and biology classes. Because of the smaller class sizes and the ability have in-depth conversations, you are able to build a relationship with your professors and classmates, which can be very beneficial in the future. Professors are always available via email or office hours. Because of the rigorous courses, students can be found studying every day of the week in the library or in the LBC, but that doesn't mean they don't let loose and have fun. It's not uncommon to hear students talking about class work or what they learned over Facebook or in person. I have noticed, though, that sometimes students don't talk a lot in class.

Many people have called Tulane "Jewlane" because of the seemingly high population of Jewish students. However, I do not believe it is accurate. Yes, many people here ARE Jewish, but that does not define who we are as a community. There are many different people represented at Tulane, and no "stereotype" is left out. No matter what a person's style or religious beliefs may be, there is always a place for him or her in the Tulane community.

The best thing about Tulane for me is the flexibility. Teachers and administrators will work really hard to help you accomplish your goals, even if they're out of the ordinary. With about 7000 undergrads (and growing) it's a good size and most classes are pretty small, allowing you to build relationships with your professors. It's also flexible in the sense that you can be as involved on campus and school-spirited as you like or you can run around exploring the city and both are completely acceptable. I tend to spend my time off campus because New Orleans has a fantastic, youthful energy and great alternative culture. Because the student body is so varied and people are off doing their own thing, sometimes it feels apathetic. For instance there has been a movement going on campus since 2009 to get fair pay for the workers in the dining hall, but the organizers have had a really hard time getting any kind of solidarity from the students. I guess that's what I'd change about Tulane; I like the independence, but sometimes it would be nice if the student body was more cohesive.

Tulane, like most private universities, is overrun with upper-middle class white kids. There are a lot of frat boys and sorority girls, easily identifiable by the Greek gear they wear on designated days. Religious (especially Christian and Jewish), LGBT, and minority organizations are all present and vocal on campus, but to a lesser extent. Most students seem to come from the South or the New York area, which means the student body is pretty divided on a lot of issues. I wouldn't say Tulane is particularly political, but everyone does community service, so to varying extents, we're all socially engaged. Big draws to Tulane include its business, law, and medical schools, so a large chunk of the students are pretty intent on making good money one day.

To be completely honest, academics at Tulane are generally pretty easy. Of course it depends on your department, but a lot of teachers seem loath to giving anyone anything lower than a B. Unsurprisingly, Tulane seems to attract fairly laid-back, non-competitive kids, but that doesn't mean Tulane students aren't serious. Many are just there to get a diploma, but I've had some very intellectual discussions both in and out of the classroom and I've also had some first-rate English and French professors, people I've stayed in touch with outside of class as my interests in their fields have developed. My favorite class I've taken was on feature writing taught by a former editor of TIME Magazine. The teacher's insight was great and he really encouraged us to find the unusual side of everything and everyone we came across. I learned a lot about writing and a little about life in that class. In almost every class at Tulane there are both slackers and overachievers, and while the teachers will put up with coasting, they really appreciate students who put in effort.

Tulane is often considered a party school. This is partly due to the city it's in (New Orleans is home to Mardi Gras, after all), and up until Hurricane Katrina happened I think it was fairly accurate, but in the seven years since the hurricane the school has really dedicated itself to promoting community service. Today, the frat party scene is fading back and the school is attracting more and more students looking for a meaningful college experience; like New Orleans itself, Tulane is still a great place to party, but these days the students are a pretty mixed bag of social activists, fratastic bros, and highly motivated pre-professionals.

Sonya

Tulane offers every student a veritable cornucopia of activities. I manage a radio station here and I love it. There's very strong student organizations for ANY hobby. I mean ANY hobby. Student-faculty ratio is low, the campus is beautiful and safe, the city of New Orleans is amazing..I would not go anywhere else if I could decide again.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I loved the campus, faculty, and city

Glorious old noble buildings combined with modern

40% Greek life, approximately. The student media is strong - the radio station (wtulneworleans.com) and the newspaper (thehullabaloo.com). Lots of ethnic clubs - vietnamese, indian, asian association, etc. that put on a lot of events. Gamer clubs - Humans vs. Zombies. Literary society that publishes a book annually, poli sci clubs, game clubs, reading clubs..lots of clubs.

WASP - White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. JAPs - Jewish American Princesses. Black sheep - the individual free thinkers

Professors always know my name. Students are not competitive, but they do often spend time with professors outside of class. I think the academics are on par.

It's mostly true, but there are diamonds in the rough.

Paige

I think the title says it all...I love my school! The combination of New Orleans, social life, new friends, campus, and academic opportunities really make Tulane unique. I was nervous traveling so far away from home, at least a 5 hour flight, and only knowing one person from home at school. But I easily made friends and immediately felt comfortable in the city. I really enjoy New Orleans and try to take advantage of all the things it offers to me. No school is like Tulane. One night you can be at a frat party, the next at a jazz festival, the next taking the street car to a local Creole restaurant, and lastly watching a parade down the street and grabbing a drink at a bar. Unbelievable. The freedom New Orleans offers is addicting and I hope I never leave.

Describe the dorms.

There are a lot of options for the freshman dorms. The 2 main ones on campus are Sharp and Monroe. I lived it Sharp and loved it! Both are co-ed and right next to each other. These are basically the "party" dorms, where people will go to pre-game before going out usually. They all are 2 people in a room with a communal bathroom on the floor (shared only girls or only boys). It is not the nicest dorm, but the most fun. Then there is the all girls dorm, J.L., which is so beautiful. It looks like Hogwarts. It is close to the Boot (the main bar), but far away from the rest of campus. It is 2 girls per room and I have heard really good things about living here. Butler is the honors dorm, much quieter. It is co-ed and also 2 per room, really old dorm and not very nice. Patterson and Wall are freshman and sophomore dorms. They are nice and I'm pretty sure they have suite style living (2 rooms, with 2 in each, attached by 1 bathroom). If you are looking for the overall freshman experience I would suggest Monroe/Sharp because of its location and it is all freshman. If you are looking for a nice dorm J.L/Wall/Patterson. If you are looking for a quiet place to do work, Butler.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The requirements are the most popular, such as lab science, writing, language, social science (anthropology, sociology...), fine arts, math (calc, stats, psych)... I have been trying to get in the lab science "Earth as a Living Planet" for 3 semesters and still haven't gotten a seat. There are those certain teachers that are always so popular, their classes always have a waitlist of +75 students. My recommendation is to check on ratemyprofessor.com before creating your schedule. It is a life savor, trust me.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

When I visited Tulane, the feeling I got was unlike anything I felt when visiting other schools. This school is just, for lack of a better word, so cool! You have a campus and a city all in one, as well as a culture that no can match up to. Who else has Mardi Gras and random festivals, such as Po' Boy Fest and VooDoo Fest, all the time? The people here love to go out, but know how to work hard. This is a pretty tough school to get accepted to after all. I have not once regretted my choice in college so far!

What do students complain about most?

There is a lot of complaining going on when it is time to register for classes. It is almost impossible to get in the classes you want to be in during your registration time. It is the worst feeling ever when only one of your classes you want has an open seat. However, it always seems to work out. First week of school you can attend a class even if you are not registered for it and talk to the teacher after to ask if they will put you on the attendance sheet. The only classes that are extremely hard to get in are your basic lab sciences that everyone has to take for a requirement.

What's the dating scene like?

There are your typical random hook ups that happen every week, but occasionally people start to date. I had one friend who started dating someone after the first month of freshman year, and they are still together. Majority of my friends didn't start to date until this year. Also, your grade doesn't really matter when dating. Many sophomore girls dated freshman boys last year. It is easy to meet upperclassmen through Frat parties, date parties that sororities have, at a bar, or even in class (shocking I know).

Describe a typical weekend.

Thursday night we pre-game in the dorm then take a cab (tops $5 each) to the bar F&M's. During the day, the place looks like a hole in the wall, but on a Thursday night it is packed. Sometimes I splurge on their incredible cheese fries they sell there...yum. Friday nights are varied. They always begin with happy hour at the Boot ($5 huge cups of mixed drinks or $5 for 3 beers). Then maybe there will be a frat party happening or we will just wait around for it to be time to go to the Palms (usually after midnight). Saturday nights are the same thing, it's always changing up. But trust me, there is something to do every single night of the week if you want to. Bars downtown are always an option, if you are willing to spend the money to get downtown and back! There are also a bunch of other bars uptown that are within walking distance of campus.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food ON campus is not good at all. Our main dining option, Bruff, sucks. It really does. Freshman will love it at first, until they realize it is the exact same food every week and that it is always a hit or miss. We also have the LBC or Le Gourmet, food options that you can use your "wavebucks" on (not unlimited like Bruff can be). Those choices are a lot better than Bruff, but you get sick of them very easily. I like about 3 things at the LBC and 2 things at Le Gourmet. There is only so many times I can eat these things in a week...It gets really old really fast. But the OFF campus dining is amazing. The New Orleans style food is delicious, so I try to eat off campus as frequently as possible!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library! Always packed during finals/midterms. You can also study in the business school library or PJ's, our coffee shop. Pretty much anywhere you can find. All of the dorms offer study rooms or lounges. I tend to study in my room majority of the time because I luckily have a single, only sharing a bathroom with one other suite mate. It is really nice to not have to leave my dorm to study I must say

When you step off campus what do you see?

Uptown is the college bar scene. You will see the Boot and the Palms, the most popular bars for students to attend on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. There are also some restaurants within walking distance of campus. Downtown is a city, you can easily get there by cab or street car. Of course, there is Bourbon street (which isn't all that it's hyped up to be). But more importantly there is an ENTIRE culture of New Orleans! Get a hand grenade, eat a po' boy, go to the levees, walk down Frenchman street, witness a parade...there are unlimited opportunities for good times

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We are a division I school. Our football team...to be honest is not very good. I have only attended 2 games in my time at school, both homecoming games. Which we lost. Both times. However, we just got a new coach who coached the Saints and we are building a home football field that will be ready in 2013 so hopefully that will add to our school spirit! Our basketball team and baseball team are actually really good. I just attended my first basketball game a few weeks ago and it was packed! They give out free shirts and things for the first couple hundred people that come to the fan section. I sadly, have never attended a baseball game, but apparently they are fun! We have a bunch of intramural sports such as soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, hockey, volleyball...anything really!

Tulane is BEAUTIFUL! The campus is shaped like a cross, with the center being the "LBC", which contains the bookstore, a food option, stores, hair salons, barbershops, FedEx, a bank... The front of our school is charming. Before the holidays they put lights around the bushes surrounding the "Tulane University" sign, and it is breathtaking. Majority of the dorms are located near the center of campus. It takes about 15 minutes to get from one end to the other, very easy. We have lot's of green quads that add to that "campus" feeling. The buildings do not have a uniform architecture though, the one critique I have of the campus. Overall, it is the perfect size.

What are your classes like?

My classes are hard. Second year seems much harder than first year, for sure. I am currently in finals and using this as my procrastination right now! For a final I usually study for three full days before an exam, sometimes even more depending on the course. Some of my classes have papers due instead of a written exam. I like this better format a lot better.

Anything involving free food, students will be there. For example, the most fun school sponsored event hosted on the main quad of our school: CrawFest. SO FUN! Let me break this day down for you...imagine an entire quad of students decked out in bathing suits, sunglasses, and Tulane apparel with unlimited amounts of Crawfish and corn for all to eat. Everyone has a blanket laid down and they are stuffing their face with seafood while drinking daiquiris from the local DaqShack down the street. Surrounding us are local food stands offering some of the best snacks around as well as multiple live bands playing all day on two stages. This in total = unlimited fun

I see a lot of diversity in my school, all different races, many people with disabilities, and international students. However, I personally do not hang out in the most diverse crowd. I don't know if it is me or if it is the way the school is structured. But I tend to see a lot of groups of people who aren't diverse at all, then others who have every kind of person you can imagine in a friend group. It really depends on your extra curricular activities. I know our school offers many clubs, including LBGT, religious groups, and multi-cultural groups.

School is tough. But as my dad always says..."You go to college for class, not for parties." I work very hard in majority of my classes. There were those few classes that were definitely an easy A that fulfill some requirements, but many of my major requirements take up a LOT of study time. As a double major, Environmental Studies and English, I spend equal amount of times reading/writing and studying scientific facts. Tulane is not the best when it comes to being able to take all of your first choice classes each semester (they fill up very quickly). However, as I get older I become earlier on the line to choose my schedule. By Senior year I will be in every class I want. I honestly have never studied this hard in high school, I mean 24 hours in the library in one weekend. But your hard work pays off and even if you are getting average grades but your teacher sees how much effort you put in to the class, they will usually take that into account when giving you your final grade.

Greek life is not very large on campus according to the percentage on our schools website. However, it definitely has a more prominent role socially. You do not need to be in Greek life to go out, have fun, and meet new people. By NO means must you join a sorority/fraternity to enjoy school. However, it is an advantage to join because you automatically meet +50 more people who become your new "brothers/sisters". As a somewhat shy person myself, it helped me branch out and feel more comfortable when going to bars and recognizing more students. I really do love being a part of something that makes me feel so closely knit to a group of people. I also have many friends who did not join Greek life and they know just as many people as I do and are invited to many of the events Greeks hold weekly. It really is a personal preference to join or not, and regardless of your choice you will still be happy at Tulane.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.