Tucson, AZ
University of Arizona

Named Arizona’s Best College by Forbes, the University of Arizona is a public university where teaching, research, service, and innovation merge to improve lives in Arizona and beyond. The UA serves as the state’s super land-grant university with two medical schools, producing graduates who are real-world ready to take on today’s most pressing challenges.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arizona

Fixed  rate loan

Chris

The best thing about being an Arizona student is definitely the weather. Even though it is such a small thing, it makes a big difference in how people act and I believe that being 85 degrees in February really helps to keep spirits up. Tucson is a college town and every where you look, from apartment complexes to the restaurants, every thing is geared to the students. Since I am a freshman, I have not experienced everything that there is to offer at school, but I did enjoy the football games (especially when we beat Oregon) and the basketball games also. I am looking forward to the Kanye concert later this month.

Arizona has a very diverse student body. I think there are alot of different people here for many reason and from all over. As usual though, there is a higher population of white people as oppposed to minorities, but I think that the university does a good job of incorporating several ethnicities and people who think in different ways.

I do not think that any of those stereotypes are accurate and there are many people who work hard to do well and be successful in school.

Student studying is higher than I have ever seen it. I see people all the time working at the ILC and I believe that most of us put in almost the same amount of time that we are in the classroom to studying. I think that education is geared the same way as high school was for me, it was more about learning for the sake of learning. I do feel that the requirements are the same for most other colleges.

I think that alot of te social life ahs to do with partying. Most people usually know about the huge parties that are thrown by either fraternities or just house parties that get realy wild. But if you choose to do something a little less wild, there are opportunities to watch sporting events or play at the rec or view a movie.

That students at Arizona party hard and can skate by easily through thier classwork.

Chris

The best thing about Arizona is the weather. While all of my friends are walking to class dressed like eskimos, I'm walking to class in shorts and a tshirt. Winter is pretty much non existent here and there is sunshine practically everyday. The one thing I would change about Arizona is the food. The food offered on the meal plans isn't all that healthy. Don't get me wrong, there are healthy options, but the main food court is dominated by Burger King, Papa John's and Panda King. I would like to see more healthy alternatives. When I tell people I go to Arizona, they assume I'm an idiot who is just going to school to spend his parents money and party all the time. As far as the college town goes, Tucson is pretty boring. I stay on campus for most part.

Most students look like they're from Orange County, California. Guys wear shorts, tshirts, and sandals to class while girls wear short skirts, low tops and sunglasses. They're are a lot of kids from California and Chicago,IL. Kids are obsessed with money.

These stereotypes are not accurate at all. I happen to know numerous student who take their academics seriously. One of my friends works harder and has more desire to learn than anyone I know, and I have plenty of friends at Ivy League school. He works harder and is more passionate about learning than any of them.

Classes are huge and its pretty easy to blend in. My least favorite class would have to be Math 115A. It is a business class that is set up by the university for the university and it is horrible. The class structure is awful and the class is relativly new so the instructors have no idea what they are doing. It is by far the worst class I've ever experienced.

For guys, sorry, but if you're not twenty one or in a fraternity, a social life does not exist for you. I am in a frat and my roomate is not and he stays in or goes home every weekend while I go out. The dorms are pretty boring from my experience. Nothing goes on and they are really quiet. I am there only to sleep, watch tv, or get some quiet time.

Some stereotypes of Arizona student would be that they are dumb and more interested and partying than learning and going to class.

Sam

The best thing about Arizona is the weather. The one thing I would change is the outside area. I would like it to be more upscale. The school is just right. People say real party school but it is all what you make of it. I spend most of my time in the dorms. College town, yes. Administration is very considerate. The biggest controversy is someone overdosed and died a week ago. There is alot of school pride. Everyone goes to the games to root on our school, i.e. football and basketball.

It's a beautiful school. What is better than going to class in shorts and a tank top and even laying out between classes.

Professors know your name. My favorite class is lecture. Students study alot. Everyone participates. Students are competitive but so friendly that you make new friends that you can socialize with. Arizona is perfect academic wise. You can get a job from attending university of arizona.

Basketball. Our basketball team is very good and our school is very school spirited.

Torry

U of A has one of the most beautiful college campuses I've ever seen. The Poetry Center, where I spend most of my time, is a completely unique offering. The school is quite large, but never feels that way even hanging around "the mall". People are surprised I go to Arizona because of the stereotypes associated with it (see above), but with a large school there is something for everyone. U of A is a huge part of Tucson, but it doesn't feel like much of a college town, although the bar scene is great. There seems to be a great deal of school pride, everyone wears Wildcats gear and you can hear the marching band practicing at nearly any time of day.

Again, since it's such a large and diverse student body, no one can really feel out of place. Unless maybe you are very unattractive. Even handicapped people are well accommodated, almost every building has wheelchair access. Students generally dress very casually, often in Wildcats gear. Different types of students interact in their non-major classes but, since Greek life is big, there is a clique-ish mentality here. Most Arizona students are from Arizona and California, or NYC kids looking for better weather. I'd say middle/upper middle class is the standard here. Students are not that politically aware or active from what I've seen. I'd call the school very much in the center politically, since it's a Republican controlled environment in a Democratic city with kids from both backgrounds. I'd call it kind of purple.

These questions are hard to answer since I'm a graduate student, but for most classes you'll take as an undergrad, especially the into/lecture classes, the professor will not know your name. In the discussion I teach I know everyone's name, and class participation is very common. Professors even in the graduate department don't socialize with students much, but in terms of Creative Writing we have a slightly older faculty. Creative Writing workshops are the best classes to take here! It's actually a highly ranked undergraduate program here, surprisingly enough. I think an Arizona education, as with any other university education, is what you make of it. Since it's a big school it's easy to slip between the cracks so ambition and motivation are necessary.

Going to football and basketball games is the big thing here. The dating scene seems alright, but I'm pretty removed from all that. Like I said, it's a very attractive campus so girls I would rate a 6 or 7 seem like 4s and 5s due to their surroundings. People party a lot though claim not to. Obviously Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays are the big days like anywhere else. Fraternites and Sororities are important. Last weekend I spent all Friday night drinking at a bar for blue collar types and bikers, to be ironic natch. On Saturday I went to Hooters to watch UFC with a cage-fighting friend of mine, also to drink and eat chicken. There is a good art house movie theatre for non-drinkers, lots of local theatre, poetry readings, bigger multiplexes, mini-golf open year round, bowling allys, salsa dancing. Lots of shit to do.

The frat/sorority mentality predominates. All we care about are our sports teams (football and basketball specifically). Academics are secondary. The student body is generally very attractive (though not as attractive as ASU, which according to polls conducted by Playboy I believe, is known as the Hottest Student Body). Everyone is very tan.

It's a beautiful campus. The people are all from California and are not nice. This is one thing I would change if I could. The school is very large - too large. If you tell people you go to U of A, they will assume it's a party school and will assume you're dumb. However, classes are very hard. Tucson is gross and small. Tucson people are weird. Because people are from California, they don't have much pride for sports, so if you are from the south and enjoy sports, you will not enjoy the sports scene. People couldn't care less about the teams.

Most people at Arizona have a lot of money. Most people are not racist or religious. Most students dress up for class. All the boys will wear designer jeans, a typical California hat and California shades. Girls will dress in very little and will pile on the makeup. If you wear sweat pants or a t-shirt, you will stand out in a very bad way. Most people don't care about politics, but if they do, they are very liberal.

Professors do not know your name. Classes are very big, especially freshmen classes, and teachers don't even take roll. Most teachers, in fact, don't care about who fails and who passes, so they are very difficult to get a hold of, let alone get help from. Arizona students never have intellectual conversations outside of class. The U of A is easy to get into but is hard once you get in, so it's hard to get a good GPA.

Greek like if very important. If you want to have a social life at all, you are in a sorority or fraternity. Most people don't care much about athletic events, theater, or dating. Finding people to hang out with on a Saturday night that don't want to drink is very rare.

everyone is from California, southern people will not like the University of Arizona, all the girls are slutty Californians, all the boys are from California and are very girly

Evan

The reason I chose to go to school across the country is because when people ask me where I go to school, and I say University of Arizona, their eyes light up and say oh wow that must be awesome. If I went to school back in the Midwest where the majority of everyone goes, the person would just say, "Oh".

I don't appreciate when Mormon enthusiasts come up to me on campus and force their viewpoints. Religion is just the ancient past time and traditions of your particular family. We're all the same, we're all people. We just all have different traditions. Just like playing football on thanksgiving. But just let me be when I'm walking on campus, don't try and get me to change my values.

I just realized tonight that people let college get to them. People say that these are the best 4 years of life and I disagree. Every year is the best year of life. If you let "learning" or classes stress you out, you're wasting life. Do the best you can with the knowledge you have, and leave it at that. I'm not saying don't try and get good grades. But who remembers gpas and tests. Take a look at what of an awesome place we as students are living at for four years and take a moment for appreciation.

My favorite class was my Psychology of Gender because of my T.A. She treated us like equals and admitted that there were faults in the education system. We listen to lectures for a month. That is a lot of material. To be expected to study all of that for a 25 question multiple choice test is a waste of time. Why not tell us specifically what we need to know? That's what that class did, and I learned that material better than any other class. Thanks Nicole Meador!

Greek life is huge on the U of A campus. I am involved in Delta Tau Delta and it was the greatest decision of my life. I am currently the Vice President of DTD and never thought an organization could provide me with so many different activities and opportunities. Community service, sporting events, sorority relations, social events, brotherhood events, etc.

Arizona has a stereotype of all party no work. I think Eller is one of the most prestigious business schools in the country and for people to think I don't work hard here, they are mistaken. Arizona is so much fun and an amazing place to call my home for 4 years. But for people to say it is easy, they're wrong.

Ani

Arizona sunsets are the best. I would build up downtown Tucson. The size of campus is just right. I spend almost all my time in the Architecture building. I came to the UA BECAUSE I wanted a college town. So much school pride.

From my experience of walking through the mall and observing the different stands and events held there, I think the student body has given everyone of all races, religions, and other groups comfort.

Not really. Every University has a party scene, even Harvard (believe me). Every University has good looking female student. And looks are a matter of opinion anyways. Every University has student from all over the nation and world snobby or not. On a serious note. Arizona has the reputation of the stated stereotypes listed above but what people do not know is that Arizona has amazing programs with many talented and hardworking students.

Most professors know my name. Architecture design studio is my favorite class. I dislike physics. Architecture students study too much. The professors are always there to help.

What is great about the UofA whatever they do...they do it big. Their sport events are huge. There are people from all over who come to watch the plays and concerts held there.

Things I have heard from others as soon as UA was mentioned: 1- "Oh yeah, all the hot girls go there!!" 2- "I know why you're going there...It's a party school." 3- "Rich snobby kids from socal go there."

Eli

The best things about Arizona is the weather and school pride. It's amazing to see on Saturdays how many kids come out in their zona zoo tee shirts ready to go to the football or basketball game. My brother went to a school in a city and he didn't have that, there was no school pride where everyone went to an athletic event. The worst part of Arizona is registration. Since there are so many students, which isnt a bad thing, you have to register right away or else you wont get the classes or professors you want. Being from the northeast, anytime I tell someone from home I go to arizona their eyes light up, its unusual for them to hear that and they have a curiousity about what goes on there.

the student body is so diverse, you have your bros, preps, jocks, nerds, japs, girly girls, pretty much anything. No more what group or religion you are, there is a place for you. As a Jew, I am very comfortable since Hillel is so involved on campus. When you meet someone, most likely they're from arizona, california, or chicago. I was suprised how many students from illinois are here. however, since this is the average student when I meet someone from ny its special because its so rare.

pretty much, its not the best place for a brunnette lover, the weather does get rediculous in the beginning of first semester and end of the school year. Tucson is Mexico and the border is only an hour away, however the academics are underrated and the people and professors are smarter than you think.

The problem I have with arizona classes would be the same at any college-gen eds. there are so many great classes offered that I want to take but cant because of the gen eds like science, math, or english. but the classes that are in my major or minor, I love them and I love the professors, they are not the usual boring teachers but they connect, many of them used to be in frats or sororities. They are so easy to approach and they love when you come to their office hours.

greek life dominates the social life, as a guy, you are almost required to join a frat, otherwise weekends will be very boring for you. Not so much for the ladies since they are allowed in any frat party anyway, sororities dont throw partys, they are just a good social network to meet new girls. Most people who dont join frats make their friends from the dorm, the dorms are so friendly and many people keep in touch with the floor mates throughout their whole college experience. i have friends in each frat from my floor, and my roommate lived a couple of doors from me last year.

Every girl is blonde, the weather breaks 100 in the beginning and end months, surrounded by cacti, Tucson is basically Mexico, one of the biggest party schools, and most people are stupid.

University of Arizona administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.