Omaha, NE
University of Nebraska at Omaha

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Nebraska at Omaha

Kristen

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would advise myself to look at more colleges. The university I go to I like, but I'm sure there are a lot of other universities that I could have gone to that I would have liked and even loved. When I was a junior and senior, I was only looking at colleges based on the major I was interested in at the time, which I'm not even interested in anymore. Looking and picking a college is a lot of work, but the more work you put into it, the better the chance you will find that one special college that is perfect for you. I dont believe the college I chose is perfect for me, I should have thought more about the type of environment and the people I wanted to surround myself with and not just base it on what majors the college had or people that I would know if I went to a certain college. Again, I do like the college I chose, however, I believe there is a better college out there that would better suit me and what I like.

The availability to take so many different classes, there are a lot of general education classes that need to be taken before taking any classes for your major. There are a variety of general education classes that anyone can take and it will count toward your major.

I live in the dorms and I wish I had known people who had lived in the dorms early on before I applied for housing, so they could tell me what it was like. I don't get along with one of my roommates and living in the dorms is a totally different experience than I thought it was going to be. I just wish I had thought about it more before I moved into the dorms.

Alicia

If I could go back and talk to the high school me I would have a lot to say. First, I would inform myself to keep the fun in college— remember to focus on the academics but to enjoy all the opportunities presented to me. That it is about going to class, learning as much as possible, making new friends, and trying new things daily. The next piece of advice I would give to myself would be to work hard at everything. It does not matter if it is a half page worksheet or a twenty page paper; it all deserves your best efforts. I would also want to remind myself to constantly tell my family how much their support means to me every step of the way. They are the ones who give me the motivation to keep going when I’m feeling anxious or overwhelmed.

There is such a wide varitey of people attending and teaching classes on campus. The class selections are also very diverse. This makes it easy to explore any interests you have.

Sometimes it is easy to get overlooked. The less you're involved in extracurriculars or the less outspoken you are, the harder it can be to get other students or staff to notice you.

Allison

I am originally from Lincoln Nebraska, but I went to Omaha to study because I wanted to stay close to my family but still pay in state tuition without living in the same city all my life. UNO campus is in the heart of Omaha, only minutes away from downtown and major shopping malls. There are a lot of employment opportunities scattered around the campus area for students looking to work part-time. My school is best described as medium sized. It is not so big that you can't walk across campus, but not so small that everyone knows your name. I spend all my time in the Milo Bail Student Center on campus. There are lots of food options and a starbucks available. The study abroad agency is well known on campus and its rare that i meet someone who hasnt studied abroad at least once. The dorms are all apartment style, and the campus is right next to a park so a lot of students spend time in the park during the warmer months.

Tell us about your professors.

I have had professors that have worked for the president, been ambassadors, have been sent to Afghanistan on behalf of the United States to speak to president Karzai and that is all just in the political science department. The professors at UNO are highly qualified and share truly meaningful life stories with their students to better prepare them for the working world. My advisor was able to send my resume to the U.S. senators so they could recommend me to government agencies. Everyone is truly helpful and accessible.

I really enjoy welcome week each year. It occurs on during the first week of school. All the different organizations on campus put up booths outside of the student center and advocate for their group. You get a lot of free random stuff and every once in a while you come across a truly unique club that you'll want to check out. I enjoy it because everyone is outside, the university offers free lunch to the students during welcome week, and you meet a lot of new people.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

What?! You have never heard of UNO? That is impossible! Im just kidding, it's quite possible that UNO isn't on your top ten list of most popular colleges in the nation. It isn't even the most popular college in Nebraska. UNL would probably hold that title and I am going to attribute their football team for that. UNO truly is a great school though. I love it here and I would never transfer. UNO is easy to navigate and it's not so big that you get winded walking across campus (unless of coarse you are late for class). All of the buildings are well kept and renovated. All the technologies available to students are cutting edge. If you need help in a certain course, free tutoring is offered in almost every subject. The campus is beautifully landscaped and very well maintained. We offer a variety of classes adhearing to everyones interests. Professors have office hours, and always make themselves available to you. The school is strategically located in Midtown Omaha, so you are right in the middle of everything. There is easy access to malls, restaurants, down town, and the expressway for when you need to get to West Omaha. My favorite thing about UNO is the clock tower in the middle of campus. Its beautiful and it plays theme songs from movies and musicals in between class sessions.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We have 2 food courts associated with campus, one on south campus and one on north campus. I have only experienced the food on north campus, but it's pretty good. They have healthy options and that fat greasy junk that I love so much. There is a sandwich place, a pizza place, a hamburger place and an Asian food place as well. They offer an assortment of bottled beverages and on tap options. UNO is a pepsi campus, so don't walk around campus aimlessly looking for coke, because you won't find it my friend. I was lucky to find Dr. Pepper. If you aren't looking to eat a meal there is a convenience store in the student center that sells snacks and random other items. There are vending machines in most buildings for those kids who can't go through a class without some kind of caffinated beverage at their side (thats me). If you aren't interested in eating on campus then there are plenty of fast food and sit down restaurant options scattered in various locations located just off campus. I can remember walking to Qdobas mexican grill with my roommates my freshman year in a snow storm just because we were hungry. Clearly we weren't thinking. I got my nachos though! I see Jimmy Johns all the time being delivered on campus. Jimmy Johns is a sandwich place for those of you who live under a rock.

What's the Greek scene like?

I personally did not go greek, but I have a lot of friends who did. They love it. There are only certain serorities and fraternities that have houses off campus. I think they are working on making that more common. They are very active on campus. They organize charities and they have a good time hosting games and events during homecoming week. A lot of them recruit before the fall semester, so try looking into it before classes start. Only specific serorities and fraternities take in new recruits at semester, so don't limit your options. check out everything as soon as possible. I know it looks good on resumes if you have a sorority or a fraternity added to it. Employers know that fraternity and sorority members have to volunteer often and maintain certain grade point averages in order to stay in the organization. The great thing about the greeks is that they will get you free tutors if you are having trouble and they will make sure you get your grades back up. It's a great way to make friends fast, that's for sure.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

In the warmer months I love to study outside. There is a huge grassy area that anyone can sit on and study on if they'd like at UNO. Every building has a commons area outside of it, but personally I like the area just outside of Roskins hall. It is set up like an arena with cement steps rising up. There are flowers everywhere and its very peaceful. Hardly anyone goes there to study. In the colder months the more obvious study locations would be the library or the student center. There are plenty of places where you can get work done. I like to study at home, but a lot of people can get easily distracted if they are around their tv or refridgerator (you ever open the fridge to look what you have to eat even if you're not hungry?). If you don't want to go on campus or stay at home there are scooters and starbucks coffee houses all over the place where you can study. There are locally owned coffee houses as well, or there is always the public library.

I would love to say all those organizations and groups you were a part of matter in college, but they don't. Now is your chance to start over, make new friends, and start building your resume. Start looking for organizations to be a part of, and stick it out. It looks good on a resume if you keep up with an organization for a long period of time. When you write your resume you won't include any of the things you did in high school, so you have to get a leg up on the competition and start running for student government or being the founding member of a sporting club now(maybe ping pong?). There are lots of things to be a part of; you just have to pick one. Make sure you keep up with your studies too. One bad grade will tear down your GPA so fast your head will spin. Make sure you remember though, that your major classes won't fill up all the credits you need to graduate, so it's ok to take some classes you think sound fun because you will need the credits anyway.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

I would assume that the hot button issues on campus are the same at my university as any other. We have clubs for pro-life and clubs for pro-choice. One group hands out condoms where as the other hands out roses on valentines day. You can guess which group does what. We have the young republicans club and the young democrat club. The democrat club just let a bunch of students take pictures next to their life size cut out of president Obama the other day. There are pastors and preachers who reserve times to preach in the student center and that causes a big scene whenever they come. It's usually in the warmer months, because they have to stay outside in the commons area. There is a lot of debate that circules around that one. The never ending argument about is God real? and why is my religion wrong but yours is right? These are all things I love to witness but never participate in. At any campus you will have these issues and you will have the kids who are outspoken and love to argue their points. We are who we are. I can remember one year there was a speach in the student center about why weed should be legalized. I think I was busy that day.

What's the dating scene like?

This question seems silly to me. The dating scene in Omaha is going to be just like the dating scene anywhere else. You meet so many people at UNO through various activities and sporting events that I suppose it's quite possible that you could lock eyes with your one true love at any moment. Dating wasn't really something I was concerned with when I went to college. I just wanted to make friends. If you're concerned about finding a boyfriend or girlfriend, you probably won't find one. I met my boyfriend at a party off campus and I can assure you I wasn't looking for a boyfriend, but I sure am glad I found him.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I needed to attend a collge that offered in state tuition. I lived in Lincoln at the time and I realized that I needed to at least experience another town and move out of my house. I chose Omaha over all of the other university options because I took a tour of the campus and fell in love with it. It truly is a beautiful campus. They also offered some opportunities that some of the colleges such as UNL or UNK could not offer me. It's also great living in Omaha. It is a bigger city as compared to Lincoln and it's fun here. If I start missing my family (believe me it happens) I can jet home in less than an hour. I am very proud of the decision I made to attend UNO and I would make it again if I had the chance.

you wouldn't think that Omaha NE would be a huge center for Middle Eastern and Afghan studies, but it is. We have the largest Afghan Studies center out of any liberal arts college in the U.S. The amount of foreign exchange students studying at UNO from the Middle East or North Africa is impressive as well as useful to any student who is interested in learning more about that culture or studying a language from that area of the world. Personally I am friends with several students from both Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia. They become quite helpful when I need help studying for an Arabic test.

Describe the dorms.

I lived in the dorms my freshman year of college. It was a truly unique experience. I ended up getting paired with some great people. I lived with 2 foreign exchange students, one from India and one from China, and a girl from Blair Nebraska. The dorms are apartment style housing. There are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, and shared living room. With four people living in one area the kitchen cabinet space can become limited, but I e-mailed my roommates before I moved in to find out what they already had so that I didn't bring the same things ie: a microwave, a can opener, silverware. I just made sure that it was okay with them that I share their appliances. It only took me 5 minutes to walk to each of my classes in the mornings, and there are laundry facilities either located in your building or a few yards away from the building; it depends in which dorm you are located. The dorms can be kind of costly. It is 500 dollars to live in a dorm, but keep in mind that is including all the amenities of basic cable, water, electric, and heat.

What do students complain about most?

If there is anything that you will hear students complain the most about it is parking. I can not tell you the amount of time I have spent stalking kids walking to their cars in hopes that I can steal their parking spot. UNO is mostly a commuter campus. Parking available directly on campus is limited and expensive, however UNO has a parking garage 10 blocks away from campus that has shuttles that pick up and drop of students between the hours of 8am and 6pm. It is a free parking garage and shuttle service, you just have to factor the time it takes the shuttle to get to campus into your daily routine. However, if you live on campus there are parking garages located on campus designated specifically for dorm residents.

This question seems to pop up a lot. I know that in high school stereotypes were well known and almost everyone fit into one, but in college that is no longer the case. Everyone is too concerned with their own futures to care too much what their outer image says about their personality. By the time you get to college it's understood that everyone is their own person. I have had to work on group projects with a variety of different types of students. There is no stereotype that would accurately depict the image of my school. The only descriptive word that would accurately describe everyone at UNO is "student".

When you step off campus what do you see?

UNO is in the center of Omaha, or commonly referred to as "Midtown". If you step off campus going North, there is a quaint area of town known as Dundee where a lot of the art scene takes place. If you go West there is a multitude of businesses and shopping centers including fast food joints and of course the mighty Starbucks. If you go East you're on your way down town and into the old market, which is the area of town that still pulls off the old brick road style. If you go North there you will run into the beautiful Elmwood Park and an area of South campus called Aksarben. Aksarben is a unique experience of its own. The delicious Jones Brothers Cupcake store is in Aksarben along with a newly built movie theater and a refreshing Juice Stop. It is a very popular college hang out area.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

our university used to have a football team, but we switched last year to soccer and golf. The biggest sport known on campus however is hockey. The student government even sponsored to have buses take student from campus to the hockey games for free and those buses were always full.

I think my campus is beautiful. It is very clean. We have courtyards outside of every building covered with flowers. We have a huge grassy field in the middle of campus called the pepbowl and people play soccer and frisbee there in the spring and fall. We have a huge bell tower that plays songs inbetween class hours. I have walked to class many times hearing songs such as the harry potter theme song and Shenandoah as well as songs from west side story and other major musicals. There are tables with umbrellas and chairs all over the major courtyard outside of student center. We have sculptures and fountains scattered around, and a beautiful park between South campus and the Main campus. It is truly a beautiful campus.

What are your classes like?

I am currently in the process of finishing my major classes. I am in Middle Eastern Politics, Arabic, French and Economics. Next semester I am taking Political Theory and Political Ideologies along with another round of French and Arabic. Those classes range in difficulty. Sometimes I have huge papers to write and sometimes I just need to show up to class and participate. Tests range in difficulty, but very rarely is there a class that is impossible to pass. All my professors are very accessible to me and I participate in study groups and study on my own using flash cards and reviewing my notes. I have made lots of friends through my classes and study groups.

If you are worried about fitting in, don't be. There are organizations for everyone. During welcome week (first week of the first semester) all the clubs put up booths on campus advertising their club or sport and anyone can join. I have seen sports such as: soccer, rugby, lacross, fencing, rock climbing, and even badminton. I have also seen pro-life clubs, republican clubs, democrats clubs, students for peace ect. I volunteer and participate in the study abroad agency and I was also a member of student government. There is a mavradio where students can be radio announcers and DJs. There is also a group called maverick productions which has organized events that have brought groups like Owl City and the comedian Nick Swardson to perform at local auditoriums with discounted tickets offered to students. Hockey games are a big deal on campus, and most students attend those. Fraternities and Sororities are present and rising. Most of them don't have houses, but a few of them just received permission to own houses, so they are growing. I lived in the dorms on campus my freshman year and I didn't have a single complaint. My roommates were great and I left my door unlocked all the time. It is a very safe atmosphere.There are Mavarick Mojo nights which are school sponsored events held off campus such as: pizza nights, movie nights, bowling nights ect. UNO is a dry campus meaning no alcohol allowed, but downtown is just a short drive away and the indie Dundee part of town is only a walk away. There are plenty of bars, indie film theatres, clubs, restaurants, movie theatres and much more downtown. Omaha night life is a website that college kids go to in order to find out events in omaha, and there is a group called DefyGravity that throws huge parties at venues in the downtown/midtown area that include 18+ attendance. Each summer Omaha has fairs and concerts all over the place. Its not hard to accidentally run into fun.

UNO offers many different clubs and organizations. There is one for each students individual interests, and if there is not, anyone can create a club. There are political groups, both Republican and Democrat. There are rock climbing clubs and a GLBTS (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, straight) club that has a big following as well. The student government has agencies that make sure all foreign exchange students, disabled students and American students have equal opportunities and rights on campus. If you have a complaint, talk to student government and they will address it. There is a huge foreign exchange population at UNO. We have the biggest Afghan studies program and section of the library in the United States. I just picked up several foreign exchange student from Oman just the other day. The economic background of students at the school are ranged, but if I were to make an assumption I would say they are all mostly middle class. Students wear jeans, sweatshirts, t-shirts, gym pants, pajamas, you name it they wear it. There isn't a dress code.

Part of attending a liberal arts college means that you will have to take classes to help make you a well rounded individual. I have taken science classes, math classes and humanities classes. It's meant to help you make sure that the career path you have chosen is exactly what you want it to be. I have very good relationships with my professors. When it gets down to the wire and you reach your Junior year you have to start applying for internships and leadership opportunities and it can get very competative. I am a Political Science major and I know all of the teachers in the department very well. i have taken classes ranging from Environmental Biology to Arabic to Old testament studies. My professors use the online grading system blackboard to post assignments and grades. All professors have office hours in which they can meet with you before or after class for additional assistance if needed. I have never had a professor turn me away when I needed help, and a few of them have even come to group study sessions upon request. There is a career center within the student center on campus that is geared towards helping students find internship opportunities and jobs after graduation. UNO has resources all over the place that any student can utilize.

My school has such a range of student personality types that it would be impossible for me to determine a stereotype. There are fraternities and sororities. There are kids who play WOW and Pokemon in the student center. Our school is really big on Hockey, so we have jocks from that sport. Soccer is new at UNO, so that is an up and coming jock and fan base on campus. It's inevitable that there will be stoners and slackers walking around just like you will see students studying very hard in the library. I have been stopped by kids on campus taking a survey on whether or not I like dub step or not. There is quite a range.

The best thing about UNO is that there are so many students who are very involved in organizations on campus. It's amazing of what an impact students can have on others. I wish our school was a little bigger even though we have a north campus and a south campus, but it's a definitely a "go to" school. People who live in omaha automatically assume they'll go to UNO someday unless they have bigger plans for their future and move out of state. When I tell people I attend UNO they're not surprised or anything, but they assume that's where most students go who live in Omaha. I spend most of my time at the library, and it seems like the library and the student center are the two most common places for students to be or hang out. I'm content with my school's administration, but I know some aren't a huge fan of the greeks. That will change very soon! There's not a lot of controversy on campus but sometimes the religious groups can "in your face" sometimes. Just keep your cool and keep walking. Nothing unusual about the school, but there some interesting facts/rumors about our school which you'll find out at orientation if you decide to come to UNO! There is a lot of school pride especially at hockey games. Most schools are big on football games, well for us it's hockey! It's a different atmosphere but still very exciting, trust me. I'll always remember my greek experience here at UNO because it has done a lot for me as a person/leader. Also, the most popular topic you'll hear a student complain about is PARKING!! there's nothing you can do about it, but the school is always trying to brainstorm ways to make parking easier for the students. Overall, coming from a student who wanted to go to California for school and did not want to stay in Omaha, it's been a fun journey so far. College is college and wherever you go it will be an amazing new experience.

The most popular organizations on campus are Maverick Productions (Mav Pro) and Greek Life. I've always wanted to be on a committee for Mav Pro but I haven't had time. They put on a lot of fun events throughout the year such as a comedy & poetry night, a jason derulo concert, a concert for "Rock Away Cancer", and so much more! I am involved in Greek life and I absolutely love it. We have social exchanges with other fraternities and organizations on campus, we volunteer at retirement homes, have fundraiser events for our philanthropy, play intramurals, we have our own hayrack rides, and formal dances. I definitely recommend going out for greek like because it can be a life changing experience. You may not think it's for you, but you won't know until you try it. Our athletic events are always filled with students and their parents/families, especially for hockey. There are musicals that our theater departments puts on throughout the year, and we have fun traditions such as welcome week and homecoming week/parade. People are partying all the time because it's college, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have to drink. It's good to go out and meet new people! It's the same across the country, but sometimes it's nice to stay in and have a movie night with you friends. The dating scene is pretty much the same wherever you go, even though some places may be more romantic than others, you still get to meet new people and experience numerous personalities.

I am not a very religious person but walking on campus you will see different racial and religious organizations putting on events for students to attend. It's definitely interesting to see. A student who could feel out of place at UNO would probably be someone who's from a different state/country but that's pretty normal at any other college. Students mostly wear sweats to class but sometimes people like to dress up a little too. You'll always see different types of people interacting with each other on campus, and you get to meet a variety of people. Most students are from Omaha, or another town in NE, and everyone seems to be financially stable but some students do need some loans. Overall, students at UNO seem to be very active. There are always a bunch of fun events going on such as concerts and bake sales. We show a lot of school pride and we definitely show it during welcome week, homecoming week, greek week, etc. You'll constantly be meeting new people all year and it's awesome because our school is so diverse.

A useful tip you can use at any college is get to know your professors. Talk to them, ask them questions, and make an effort to get them to remember who you are. This is great for reference letters later on for filling out applications/scholarships. So far I've really enjoyed my criminal justice classes because I have a huge interest in that field, but usually the classes I least enjoy is when I don't understand the teacher. I really advise trying to look up reviews about your professors before you sign up to take their class so you can learn which teaching style you work best with. Students can study for a little bit and study for weeks, but it depends on the person and the class. Class participation is not required for most classes but it does enhance your experience/understanding in that class. Academics can be very competitive but it's like that all colleges, some more than others. I am a sophomore this year, and I've already changed my major twice. Currently it is criminal justice, but I plan on going to medical school. I don't normally spend time with professors outside of class but I do visit them at their office hours if I have any questions. The academic requirements for UNO are reasonable and is not impossible to accomplish. I'm definitely a person who likes to go beyond, so on top of my pre-med classes, i have a criminal justice major and a chemistry minor. The education you get at UNO will without a doubt enable you to get a job in your future. It's just how YOU can push yourself to get there. Try not to drop any class if you can, and for the first two years try to stick with general classes, unless you absolutely know what major you want. Experience new things and figure out what really interests you and maybe you can have a career in that area someday.

At UNO there seems to be stereotypes of mostly jocks and greeks. Most people think that the jocks have it easy and that they have special privileges. It may seem that way but they just have a different life path than the rest of us. A lot of students think that Greek life on campus is similar to what you see in movies, however, at UNO it's not even close. I am in a sorority, and it has opened so many doors and opportunities for me. My leadership skills has drastically escalated in the past 1 1/2 years, and I have met some wonderful people. Of course there's parties and such but we also focus on our academics. I believe it's an experience that everyone should have even if it's for a short amount of time. I don't hear a lot or know about any stereotypes of geeks or stoners, but I assume it's the same as it was in high school pretty much. Don't assume all stereotypes are accurate because most of the time they aren't.

Tyler

There is so many organizations and things to get involved in. There is a Student Government, Radio Station, Maverick Productions (which hosts a lot of events and concerts), Fraternities and Sororities, Investment Club, Intramural Sports (everyone can play!), and tons and tons more things to do. There is giant gym on campus with swimming pools, multiple basketball courts, indoor track, rock climbing, racket ball, and lots more. You can check out canoes and other stuff from the Outdoor Venture Program. There is even classes/activities you can take for Golf, Dance, Scuba, and other fun things.

According to UNO's International Studies Program, there are over 116 nationalities currently studying at the university. Just like Omaha, there is almost all stereotypes, however people are really friendly and accepting in the area. The frat boys range from skinny boys to the jock type guy. There is a ban on hazing and the fraternities and sororities strive from self achievement and excellence. There is plenty of room for geeks, they tend to stay around the great technology and engineering college building though. However, they can still get involved; like how two of my friends(they are computer guys) are Senators in Student Government.

Sam

UNO offers nearly everything a student could want. You can almost always find some sort of construction being done at the school, signifying that UNO wants to stay competitive. One thing that is AWFUL is the parking on campus. Be prepared. UNO is definitely a local school, not known outside of a tri-state radius. There are plenty of extra-curriculars and a great sense of school spirit. The biggest recent controversy on campus is the last-semester dissolution of the football and wrestling programs in order to join a new sports conference and to save money.

I would describe UNO as left-leaning. Most students come from a middle-class background and some are politically active. The democratic organization on campus is much more populated than the republicans. Most of the students are from the general metropolitan area, although many cultures come to UNO for the diverse amount of programs offered. There are no uniforms required, so clothing in classes is quite varied.

Learning is easy to accomplish at UNO. If you are proactive, professors will get to know you and will develop a working rapport. In my majors, Political Science and International Studies, I know my dean and teachers pretty well. Academic requirements are fairly stringent if you want to pursue a degree and it is understood that success requires work. Education can be geared toward the workforce or for general learning because transfer credits are readily accepted from various other institutions.

UNO is full of people from all sorts of different backgrounds. We do have fraternal organizations, but none that live on campus. You'll find stoners, much like at any other school. Geeks aplenty, both lazy and motivated individuals and over-achievers. The stereotypes are accurate because if you include every one, you are bound to find at least a few.

Alex

I love UNO! Because it is a smaller university, it is easier to be involved and start making a difference. Some people think it is only a commuter school, but really it has become quite the traditional campus. I love that it not placed in a "college town" so you have a lot of opportunities to get away from campus and get involved in other things. Many fortune five hundred companies specifically want UNO students as interns and literally will make the ink glow on your resume. I will always remember how many opportunities I have been offered as a student at UNO.

The top organizations on campus are the religious groups, Greek life, and "Maverick Productions" (who organizes different events for students such as bringing celebrities to campus). I met my closest friends through Greek life and Student Government. Both were very easy to get involved in. On the average weekend, you can do anything that Omaha offers. It is not restricted to being a college town so it offers many types of activities. Many people walk around the Old Market, shopping, going out to eat, go to the zoo, hang out in the dorms, go to any of the fun centers around town, There is so many things to do!

Students are very diverse. There are many organizations (over 100) that you can find people with similar interests. The dining halls are very social. People are friendly and anyone is willing to help you find classes and do study groups. Any stereotype you can think of, will be found. People with any interests will be found. There are both democratic and republican organizations. It would take me...FOREVER to describe each type of student.

The average class size is surprisingly only 26-30. Science lectures are usually the biggest. Even then, professors are required to have office hours for students to talk/question them at any time. My professors know me. If not by name they still know who I am and my progress in the class. Most of the teachers do know names though. There are a range of how classes are conducted. There are lectures, classes that use powerpoints, notes handed out, or completely online. There are also a lot of resources for students such as the Math and Science learning center, Writing and Speech Center, and the Career center. Certified tutors are always available for free for students that need help in whatever class they need help in.

UNO has a very diverse community. There are over 100 student organizations to fulfill the needs of students and there are 1,000 international students from 119 different counties. There is no single stereotype are even countable stereotypes at UNO because there are such a diverse group of students.

Casey

Diverse group of ambitious students.

Diverse group of ambitious students.

Go to class. Make school a priority. Study some every day. Do the homework. Apply for any and all aid and scholarships available. Put all your effort forth to do well. Make friends and have fun. Invest into friends' and your familie's lives. Get involved in things that are important to you and coincide with your values and what you stand for. Communicate often with your advisor to make sure your classes get you to your degree as fast and efficiently as possible. School is your full time job, but make sure to let yourself breath and relax at least one day a week. Have fun! Make college a great experience to remember after you graduate!

Some shuttle bus drivers do not make any attempt to enjoy their job (shuttling students between the 2 UNO campuses), which puts a damper on my day.

1. You might be tempted to “take a break” before starting college (or not go at all) like a lot of your friends are doing. But stick with it. It’ll be worth it in the long run. 2. Juggling school, music, and athletics has helped you learn prioritization and responsibility. You’ll need those skills in college.3. You’re very motivated and well rounded, and actually finish what you start4. All those years you spent doing gymnastics really are relevant to kinesiology, so you picked a great field to major in.5. You worked hard in high school to get good grades because your mom always stressed how important a good education is. Now you know it’s true you would not have gotten accepted into an impacted program if you had a bunch of C’s and D’s.6. NEVER let the dog eat your homework!

Manuel

They seemed to be pretty layed-back and are always will to help if I miss a day or two of class.

There really isn't anything unique about my university.

College life is one experience that differs among every college student, whether it’s studying for an exam or partying until the hours of the morning. My experience, although fun, was one of those experiences I want to prevent my past from indulging in, for it cost me grades, self-esteem, and my parents' trust. The first year is probably the toughest due because it’s almost like starting a new life – new people, surroundings, teachers, and finally…choices. In high school, life was simple because of the simplicity of class choices. But with college, the spectrum increases, meaning that career choices are entirely up to the student. Besides the opportunities that are provided through classes, there are other things that should be made known. Drugs and alcohol are present on almost every campus, so it’s pretty easy to lose one’s self quickly. However, refrain from these as much as possible, because they won’t only affect you socially, they’ll negatively affect you academically and personally. That’s the reason I present this warning. I’ve experienced it first-hand, and I wish no one else, especially my past self, to experiences what I’ve had to.

University of Nebraska at Omaha administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.