Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Video courtesy of University of Redlands.

The University of Redlands is a private, independent university centrally located from the beaches, mountains and desert in the heart of southern California.

Recognized for having one of the highest study abroad participation rates among our peers, Redlands students travel the world, choosing from more than 100 programs.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Fixed  rate loan

A supportive community and challenging education where you can find the best version of yourself and help others do the same.

Redalnds in known for having a diverse community in which individuals can thrive in whatever area of academia they wish to pursue-- whethere it is arts, science, music, education, or business. It isknown for a hands-on education that is best for the student, moreover an education a student can enjoy. It's a small school that has big successes. Attending Redlands made me realize that small, discussion-style classes and community involvement really help people learn best.

Your life is a tumultuous thing right now. All the advice-giving adults you know are saying how important this next year is; so first—take a deep breath. I’ll tell you what I wish we’d known when at seventeen. First, this is not an end, but a beginning. Don’t be afraid to step forward into unknown things—academically, socially, personally, geographically. Second, savor the “good ol’ days” you’re in now. Be a high-school senior while you can. The future will be here faster than you know it. Third, leave the worry and gut-wrenching anxiety of SAT, ACT, and AP scores behind. NO ONE GIVES A DAMN about them in college. Lastly, college won’t solve every problem you’ve ever had or be a magical place of perfect experiences. It will be challenging and extraordinary. It will sometimes be lonely and heartbreaking. It will be a place where you decide who you will be—where you end up with the right regrets. When you graduate high school, reexamine how far you’ve come, know how proud of you your future-self is, and realize how much more you’ll get to experience.

Cassandra

To not give up! I didn’t see the true value in a college education. Now I work long hours in a horrible job. The way I am treated on a regular basis, is a constant reminder of my mistakes after high school. Now I work full-time while paying my bills, and tuition. I would give anything to go back in time to make better decisions. I would be happier and a better person, if I had never given up!

The transition from high school to college is a milestone. Legally, you can do pretty much anything and college leaves it to you to keep your parents in the loop. It's liberating and scary to have that much freedom but remember that, should anything happen to you, your parents will also be affected by your choices. Rather than hiding aspects of your life, be real with them. If you're doing something that you wouldn't want to tell your parents, ask yourself if it's worth doing. Demonstrate your responsibility by handling your finances. Get a job and keep track of hours worked and pay days so when the pay check comes, there's no surprises. Create a weekly alert system for your bank account. Create a budget and purpose for savings like a car, study abroad, etc. then work towards that goal. Finally, avoid the "freshmen 15" by buying food, like milk and oatmeal, to eat rather than consuming only unhealthy commons food. Brush your teeth at 10PM to prevent snacking and create a schedule to work out and make a gym buddy to motivate you to adhere to it. Most important, be true to yourself!

Redlands is conveniently located in the middle of various biomes and as an Environmental Science major, my professors take advantage of that. In the past two years, my Environmental courses have taken me backpacking in Joshua Tree, whale watching in Long Beach, camping in Salton Sea, hiking in the San Bernardino Mountains, and more. I love that the professors in my department utilize the outdoors as an extension of the classroom. My professors are friendly and helpful and all of them practice an open door policy which has ensured my success in many courses in which I have struggled.

I would tell myself to take the upper divison math and english courses. My senior would have been difficult balancing my job and extra curricullar activies, but it would have been worth not having to take certain courses now. Also to keep contact with anyone that wrote letters of recommendation for future use as well.

I would have liked to know how resigtration was going to work.

No one is excluded form this University, but if a person has not fulfilled certain academic requirements before applying, they are less likely to be accepted.

I love Redlands and part of what I love most about it is that everyone loves being here too. The people you see everyday are excited to see you and excited to be a Bulldog. School is school and not everyone loves every single one of their classes but I don't know a single person that doesn't like being here. I think a lot of the times people at bigger state schools feel like they have to be there because of convenience and try to graduate early. At Redlands, most people stick to a four year plan and each one of those four years just adds to the Bulldog experience and makes students excited to be a Bulldog for life. It doesn't matter if you are a music student, an athlete, a member of a Greek organization, a Johnston student, or a regular student you feel like a part of a community.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Although we are a small division III school, people still get really excited for our sports teams. Probably around 20-25% of students compete for one of our 21 sports teams. Fall season just wrapped up with men's soccer reaching the sweet 16, men's water polo competing at the Western Water Polo Association tournament, and football getting a playoff bid. Many of our sports teams consistently place in the top three of our conference, the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC). I am a member of the swim team and work for the sports information office so I see a wide variety of sports and I think all the sports teams get a lot of support from the students. We also have a few athletic clubs such as Ultimate Frisbee and Men's lacrosse that are not NCAA varsity teams. We also have an intramural sports program that runs year round with various sports such as flag football, beach volleyball, basketball, softball and even life jacket water polo.

The University of Redlands is such a picturesque campus. As you drive down Colton Avenue, you drive right through the middle of campus and you immediately see palm tree's lining the street. To the left is our luscious quad surrounded by dorms on either side and the Chapel sitting at the end. To the right is the original administration building, with tall Greek columns sitting atop a small rose garden and hedge bushes that spell out REDLANDS. As you continue driving down Colton Avenue, you will hit a third stop light and to the left is Hunsaker plaza. Here is the campus post office, campus bookstore, the Irvine Commons Plaza Cafe and University Club that provide food to students. There is a fountain right next to the road and down Hunsaker plaza you see the newly renovated entrance to Armacost Library. To the right is Currier gymnasium, another one of the historic and original buildings on campus. Past Hunsaker plaza you can see the orange groves, tennis courts, and back side of Stauffer Complex which houses the science and math halls. Walking through campus you will see a mixture of historic, classic looking buildings in addition to more modern and sustainable looking buildings. Last year our campus was presented an award for having an arbor friendly campus and with all the different species of trees just on our campus, you will understand why. Our groundskeeping crew works hard to keep the grass green, plants pruned, and tree's trimmed. With the San Bernardino mountains in the background, our campus actually looks like something you would see on a postcard.

What are your classes like?

My classes are typically upper division classes. As a junior I am starting to take upper level courses for my major and minor. I am currently taking a Research Methods for Psychology course and a course on Gender Psychology for my psychology major. I am also taking a physical education class titled Scientific Concepts of P.E. and Sport, which is very similar to an exercise physiology class that is a requirement for my physical education and athletics minor. To cap off my schedule, I am taking an Introduction to Philosophy course to cover one of my core class requirements. I typically have anywhere from 10-30 pages of reading per class a couple nights a week. My research methods has homework assignments from the chapter that are usually only a question or two. Other than that, keeping up with lecture notes and Powerpoints make my classes very manageable.

College is one of the greatest opportunities to get involved and Redlands students are well aware of the many outlets the University provides. Just this past fall, the Greek community welcomed 100 new members and each of the eleven Greek organizations have anywhere from twenty to sixty active members. Additionally, there are professional and service oriented Greek organizations A lot of students are also involved in one of our twenty one varsity athletic programs. I am a member of the swim team and have met the majority of my friends through the swim team I am also involved with Maroon and Grey Student Ambassadors, Big Buddies, and 2013 Society. Other popular clubs and organizations include Outdoor Programs, ASUR our governing student body, Social Affairs, CHAMPS, Habitat for Humanity, Academic Honors Societies, among others. There is always something to do and be a part of.

One of the great things about being at a small liberal arts college is the small class sizes. I can say with confidence that as a junior, each of my professors has known my name and the majority of them still recognize me around campus and ask how I am doing. With small classes, students don't get lost in the mix and class participation actually means something. I am a psychology major with a minor in physical education and athletics. I declared my major after taking Introduction to Psychology and as I was turning in my declaration my professor was in the psychology office. I later found out she would be my advisor and she has been extremely helpful in providing me with resources and keeping me on track to graduate. Professors are great at offering their time outside of class and being as helpful as they can. My favorite class so far has been Instructional Strategies for Physical Education. The class was for my minor and I expected it to be an easy class that would teach me how to be a P.E. teacher. The class was so much more than that. Professor Scott Kerby taught us way beyond being just a P.E. teacher but being an educator and what that means to students, parents, and fellow educators. That class changed my perspective on what I wanted to do with my future and I think the change is for the better. What's great and unique about academics at Redlands is the flexibility. The Johnston program allows for students to create their own major or emphasis. Outside of Johnston, advisors and professors are great about working with students to make sure they can get what they want out of their time spent in class. For instance, I want to end up with a master's degree in sport psychology. Although there are not sport psychology courses consistently offered, I have talked with my professors about what I want to do and they are very helpful in allowing me to steer my assignments toward sport psychology. Overall, classes are what you get out of them but professors make it very easy to get the most out of their class.

Lorenzo

There is a certain charm that the University of Redlands has that cannot be sufficed by box filled with text. If you have the opportunity please come and visit! I am Latino gay male and looking for a college in which I could still continue to be the person that I am was a challenge. However, I found it! The University of Redlands, while in a relatively conservative area, is very accepting towards LGBTQ. To this day I have not received any significant malice or bullying that would make me feel unhappy or uncomfortable. I accepted and appreciated We are a pretty small school with about 2400 students. Classes are pretty small and your professor will always know your name, if you allow so. Professors will become a large part of you college career both in class but outside. I have a few of my professor counsel me in what I should do over my summers in order for me to build a resume that will enable me to get into grad school. 100% of the professors have given me letters of recommendations that have allowed me to get prestigious internships and fellowships. A lot of doors have been opened for me.

Some of our most popular clubs at Redlands are the ones that deal with giving or helping the community. The greek life at Redlands is relatively small. We have less than 30% of our students participating in greek life. All of our fraternities and sororities are local, we have no big nationals. They all tend to throw parties on the weekend and students do like to go to them, but that does not define our party scene. We have OP (outdoor programs) which is an office here on campus that organizes different trips to essentially get you off campus and into the environment. If you like hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, camping, canoeing, kayaking, etc, then you will like OP.

We have students from all over the United Stated and from different counties. We do have a high concentration of students that are from southern california, but that does not detract from the overall diverse community. We are in southern california which means that the weather is always going to be NICE! Typically the students at Redlands wear shorts and flip-flops. Politically, we have a lot of students that are conservative and a lot of students that are liberal. It's 50/50.

It all depends on the course that you are taking. The amount of work is based on the type of course. Math and Science courses will have their fair share of work as English and Psychology will too. Tutoring at Redlands is free which is sweet! You are allowed two hours of tutoring per course, so if you are taking four courses (general load) and you need tutoring in all of them then that is eight hours of FREE tutoring! I am double major in Psychology and Creative Writing and almost all of my courses have been discussion based. It is great because you get a lot of interaction with your professor and other students. I came to college to broaden my horizons (cliche) and hear the different opinions of students from all over. That is exactly what I am getting.

There is a common stereotype that our school is filled with rich white students. I must, however, debunk that stereotype because while there are some students who are able to pay full tuition we also have about 80% of our students receiving financial aid. Our school is not very racially or ethnically diverse, however the students that represent different races and ethnicities are VERY open about expressing their pride. We have a very popular office of Campus Diversity and Inclusion that is made of of the Multicultural Center, Women's Center, and Pride Center. We value all of them because they enrich our campus beautifully.

Kassandra

I know a lot of people think that Johnston college kids are hippies, weird, etc, but a lot of them are really chill, down to earth people! I can't think of any specific stereotype for the entire college...I can say with honesty that I think, for such a small school, we have a lot of diversity!

LeeAnn

Redlands (the university) is my home. I love how beautiful and green the campus is, the weather is great, everyone is friendly, classes are small, professors are personable and helpful... It is just an overall amazing blend of all things I think a University should have and take pride in.

What's the Greek scene like?

We have 6 sororities and 6 fraternities on campus, and all of our chapters are local, meaning that they are unique to our campus. Most social events are put on by greek life and there is normally something going on every weekend, however the greeks are not just about partying. They contribute a majority of the community service hours that the campus does as a whole and all make sure that academics stay a priority. Personally I feel that most greeks are really integrated into the campus community as a whole. Athletes, Johnston students, students from just about every major on campus, and most are involved outside of their greek organization. I also feel that the greeks mesh well as a whole are really friendly with one another and with non-greek students as well.

What are your classes like?

Classes are challenging and demanding, however the professors do a good job at making sure that students stay engaged and understand the material. A lot of the classes are discussion based, giving the students a chance to be more involved with their studies and contribute to the class. I am science student so most of my classes are lecture based, however there are professors who try innovative methods of teaching to better fit the learning needs of the students.

There are over 100 clubs and organizations on campus, and a good majority of the students are involved with more than one. The biggest groups are Greek Life and Intramurals. Community service organizations are vast and very popular including Big Buddies and Habitat for Humanity. Also I feel that students are really good about supporting each other when it comes to sporting events and Social Affair events (Redlands Got Talent, etc). Personally I am involved with Greek Life, Tom's Club, Chemistry Club, Denominators, Admissions Host, and Order of Omega (Greek Honors Society).

I think a lot of outsiders see the U of R as only rich white students. However this is NOT the case. I know people from all walks of life that attend school here. While some people may associate with a certain clique, students don't feel the need to stick to these groups and aren't afraid to branch out and hang out with one another.

Alyssa

Naming the best things about this school is something that would take a lot of time, simply because there are so many. The community here is what really sold me. Sure, we are a small private liberal arts school, but everyone is generally welcoming and kind to each other, whether you know them or you don't. Here it isn't weird to say hello to someone passing you bye, which is really nice. I feel like I am part of something special here and not just another student in the masses. We only have 2400 students and while that is smaller than my high school by about a 1000, I actually like it. Class sizes are smaller, professors like to be called by their first names, etc. When I tell people that I go to University of Redlands, a lot of people first ask where that is, and then respond with "oh, thats nice!" which means that they've simply never heard of it. But lately its more of a "I've heard of that school! it seems really nice!" or "they have a beautiful campus there!" Which makes me smile. :)

The thing that I personally LOVE about the UofR is that we aren't just a number. Here is where our professors know our names, and not only that, but they also know what we are interested in and who we are as a person and not just another paper that they have to grade. They get to know our personalities and can ask us about certain things if they are interested. This being said, our professors here all have office hours that are open to all students, and a lot of the professors are really quick to respond to a question via email. Also, some professors even give out their cell phone numbers should you have a question as well. Our classes here are mainly discussion based so class participation is not only common is expected. If you think you can sit in class and not talk at all, you are incorrect. We are expected to come to class prepared and ready for a discussion and not only with our classmates, but with the professor as well. This adds a level of work to the class, but it also is something I love because you get so much more out of the class material this way. :) Right now I am in a class that focuses solely on Popular Culture. Its a Social-Antropology class that is all about how our generation views popular culture and how it has changed over time. SUPER interesting :) I feel like our school is definitely geared towards getting a job but then also on learning. Students here all take classes because they are interested in them, which fuels our desire to get jobs after graduation. There are so many opportunities that a Redlands student has by just being student here for job opportunities and internships. Its just a matter of who takes advantage of them.

Here at Redlands, I feel that there aren't really any crazy stereotypes. There are certainly groups of people that hang out together, but there aren't people that don't hang out with certain people because of what their major is or what organization they are part of. Part of the reason that I chose this school was because of the breaking down of the walls between groups. For example, in one of my classes I sit next to a sorority girl on one side and a football player on the other. And just being a student is what defines us. There aren't any special treatments to certain groups over others, something that I feel makes Redlands unique. :)

Art

From the outside; hippies, privileged white kids, jocks, etc. From the inside though it depends. Johnston students tend to be seen as hippies, fraternity/sorority kids tend to be seen as people with only party on their mind. Depends where you go really. Really though, we're a lot more complex than that.

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.