Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

A

When I was going through the college search process, I was looking for a place to build community away from home. I found that community at Redlands. It became a second home to me, and the people around me grew to be a second family. There were constantly things to do, see and learn. Every day was different, with new opportunities. In two weeks I hiked the tallest mountain in Southern California, listened to Jane Goodall, cried as Maya Angelou read her poetry, and got free frozen yogurt. Redlands provides each of its students with the possibility to do more, see more, and learn more about themselves, their peers, and the world in which they go on to change. Students here are extremely driven to truly be the positive change they want to see in the world.

Redlands students are so involved, and there are so many clubs that it is hard to list the most “popular” ones. About 18% of our students are involved in our local, social sororities and fraternities. We have a strong Invisible Children club, Students for Environmental Action, Big Buddies and our own Outdoor Programs. OP is my all-time favorite organization. It’s open to everyone on campus, and student leaders will lead trips every weekend to go rock climbing, go to the beach, and hike and camp in Joshua Tree, just to name a few. Students here are extremely social; it’s almost impossible to not find something to do, although it seems the freshman who previously posted here doesn’t know about these great opportunities. It’s so easy! We have a lot of signs all over campus promoting so many different ways to get active and involved! People are almost always at the pool, playing on the Quad, or hanging out.

My peers here somehow manage to be laid back and driven at the same time. It’s quite a feat to balance those two traits so well, but we Redlands students do it! We know how to study hard, positively influence whatever communities in which we find ourselves, exceed our own expectations, and still make awesome, meaningful relationships. People here are friendly. They actually care about you, and that makes a comfortable space to challenge yourself and hang out with people you might not have in high school or back home.

The classes are small and all taught by professors who actually know you as a student. This is the best aspect of classes at Redlands. Another awesome aspect is the flexibility. Since it is a smaller school it’s not impossible to get classes you need. This allows more flexibility to take classes outside of your department or major, which truly improves the well-roundedness of the students. You can also get credit for classes abroad, which really opens up the possibilities. I took classes in Barcelona and Costa Rica, which was phenomenal.

There are probably a few stereotypes of the types of students at Redlands, none of which are very accurate. There is the jock stereotype, the party-er, the Greek student, and the hippie stereotypes. It speaks to our diversity that there are so many different stereotypes to choose from! No. There are student athletes, and there are students who are more free-thinking. The positive thing about the Redlands community is that it is small, and these students will almost always end up rubbing shoulders with one another at some point. It’s hard to surround yourself solely with completely like-minded individuals. As a student, I was constantly being challenged by my friends and peers to think outside the box. I was almost always surrounded by students around whom I was comfortable, but constantly learning. This is just one example of how the education that Redlands provides spans across the boundary of the classroom.

A beautiful campus, great teachers, and a great administrative board that keeps in touch with you even after you have graduated and started your career.

Since I have only been in college for one semester, I have not been able to experience everything that the University of Redlands has to offer yet. What I have been able to experience is: amazing teaching staff, great community, a beautiful campus, freedom, and courses that push you to the best scholar. The teaching staff at Redlands is very applicable to the students. They are always ready for class, ready to answer questions, and open to meeting outside of class to help you with your questions. Even if you might not be able to meet with a professor one-on-one, there are still numerous programs on campus that are here to help. The community of students is by far the best I have ever seen. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and willing to help you out with anything you have. The dorms offer a great chance to meet with other students that have the same interests as you or are in the same class as you. I have had an amazing first semester at the University of Redlands, and I cannot wait for the upcoming years as I continue to advance in my academic career and social experiences.

University of Redlands is a school that is going to push you, undoubtably harder than you have ever been pushed before; however, here you have the support of not only your fellow students, but the professors as well.

College is like nothing I have ever experienced, ever before. From moving out of the house and living on campus, to having literally three hours of homework every single night, college has taught me so much about time management. Managing time is such an important lesson that students should learn- cleaning rooms, going to class, working out at the gym, rushing sororities, doing homework, going to clubs and whatever else hardly leaves any room for showering and sleeping it seems! It took me a while to find a happy median between all of the above, but I feel at ease about everything now, and I am really glad that I have been learning how to manage time. Another very important lesson that i've gained at colllege is money management. That buying that fifteen- dollar shirt really does "break the bank." Other than these lessons, going to school here has been the most rewarding thing- academically and socially that I have ever experienced.

The best part about University of Redlands is the professor to student ratio; all of my teachers know me by first and last name, whether I have turned in an assignment or not, and if I go to class which really, really pushes me to work even harder in all of my classes.

Alexa

I have learned so much in such little time. I have taken classes in subjects I never had really explored, like Archaeology, and you never know how it will affect you. That class led me to a Sociology/Anthropology minor. College has also given me relationships to such amazing people, and I know the experience I have here will carry out of the classroom and affect me for the rest of my life. I now know how to budget my money, and college has really taught me the importance of an education, as well as shaped me into an adult.

I wish I had known exactly what to expect with dorm life, because I knew what to expect scholastically. However, I do not think a lot of students realize what a huge change it will be to go from a home to a dorm.

A person who actually likes to learn, and is willing to talk, participate, and read will enjoy the school. The classes are challenging, but I throughly enjoy the classes. The school attracts both student-athletes and free-spirits, and people who like to know most of their classmates and teachers will like this school. You form a lot of close relationships, it is a very tight-knit atmosphere.

Nicholas

Besides continuing my education and helping me decide on and prepare for a career, the college experience has been a great transition from living at home in high school to being independant when I graduate from college. Whether living in dorms or apartments, having to live with a roommate and manage your time and activities helps prepare for life after school. Living on your own in college you must depend mostly on yourself, but because you are still in school there is enough support to help when you are having trouble. I think the process of going from dorms as a freshman and sophomore, to an apartment as a junior has helped me develop more independance and self-reliance at a steady and appropriate pace. I find myself much more mature and have no doubt that once I have graduated from college I will be more prepared for living on my own than I would have been if I had not attended college.

The class sizes are great because there are usually about 25 students in each class. This allows for a closer relationship with teachers, which means teachers can help you in the areas where you are having trouble more easily because they have enough time to get to know each student individually. The small class size also allows for discussions amongst students and makes it easier for questions to be asked and answered in class.

Nydia

Although I have not attended yet, because I am supposed to start Aug. 2. I am very excited to be attending so I can get right into the career I am wanting. I would like to be and will be a paralegal. I have chosen this profession due to my past and what I have seen. I would like to make a difference instead of becoming apart of the problem, I want to help others as much as I can and if you grant me with this money I would be more than appreciative and you will definitely not be let down or questioning how your money is being spent due to whatever grants or scholarships I receive go to my "account" that the school holds. I am not so sure of how to explain it, but if you want to you can contact the school I am going to. I am not sure of the number, but it is Santa barbara business college although it is the ventura,ca campus for paralegals.

allie

I've learned a lot about being able to manage my time properly. through my school I have been able to take trips abroad to Africa and the Balkans to learn about genocide reconciliation. These trips have changed the way I understand the world, I see the world in terms of humanity, not in terms of nationality, ethnicity, religion or class. The experiences I have had in other countries have been invaluable to my life and learning proccess.

Dakota

College are not only the best days of your life but also the most valuable and memorable. I have gotten so many things out of my experience. I have 40 beautiful sorority sisters that are my best friends and behind me 100% and a great alumnae network. I have gained great communication skills that cant be replaced by any other experience. I have also gained a safe place to be me 100% of the time because of a special retreat I went on my freshmen year I have 83 other people I know I can count on and can always feel safe with for sure. I have gained knowledge and the tools needed to take it to any level I could ever want and the resources to help me get there. Most of all I have gained value of life, people and education, I have learned that passion is what leads people to position; whether it is in their fraternity/sorority or in their persuit to a career. Most valuable is that I learned that while we may be young, we make an impact from every action and decision made on a daily basis, whether positive or negative, we decide.

The worst thing would be that the area surrounding the university is either very rich or very poor so it makes for an interesting off campus life.

I brag about the great professors and the small student to professor ratio as well as the strong feeling of community and the great and diverse amount of clubs and organizations. Also, that there is always a campus event going on so there is no lack of opportunity to meet new people and get involved.

Jesse

Redlands is a very small University which is a great thing. I always know the exact number of students in a class and most if not al of the names of those in my class. The town itself is small so there isn't much to do, but we are only a few hours away from the beach, the moutains, the desert, LA, even Los Vegas if you are willng to drive a bit. There are alwasy people who organize transportaion for off campus events, sports teams, theater, camping, and plenty of other things, all very cheeply and often times completely free.

We have a pretty wide varitey of student sat Redlands. I feel we try to keep an open mind but there will always be deep rooted topic of disagreement. I have had conversations at dinner about upcoming elections, the real meaning of words, or just plans to tan on the quad and study. Most of the students aren;t from the area but we do have our locals, because it is a small school my favorite question to ask people is how they heard about it.

Moral of the story Redlands is a great school, not perfect, but still worth while. We have great professors, an acessible administration team, and plenty of stuff to do when you have nothing else or are just trying to put off a paper, yes we put off papers.

I have yet to meet a professor that doesn;t have tme to help a student, if it's durning office hours, after class or over e-mail they are there to help clarify a lesson or jumpstar an essay or reveiw said essay and help with improvemnts. Of course each class is differnt but other students are usually pretty helpful when you've missed a class or are just looking for a study session. We have recently had a new 24 hour study lounge built under the library that is simply the coolest thing ever. There are comfy couces, tables lots of floor space and private rooms with T.V.s that can be hookes up easily to a laptop for a group study ssession.

I am a member of Alpha Sigma Pi and, though not for everyone, joining a my soroity was a great choice. I didn't make a lot of freinds my first semester, because I was a local so I had people close by to spend time with. So it gave me a chance to connect with the poeple on campus. However some people end up becoming life long friend with there roomates. As far as partying goes there is always something happening on the weekend. With Greek row there will alwasy be someone throwing a party. If Greeks aren't your scene there are always the non-Greek orgainizations who throw a great party too. during the week there are always speakers who come on campus are while they aren;t always great we have had some great poeple come speak to us, my favorite so far is Ben and Jerry, two guys with a great story interesting thoughts and free ice cream, what more could you ask for?

Rick

The best thing about Redlands, I would have to say are the people! I love being able to just walk down the street and have students I don't even know wave at me or stop along the sidewalk on my way to class to catch up with a friend who was abroad the semester before. The people here are really amazing and I love being able to meet new people everyday. If there was something I could change, it would be the amount of free time. I think that we have so many ways that students can get involved that alot of times people can get over involved or students will have less time to hang out simply because it is so easy to get involved. Redlands is definitely not a college town, but with most of our students living on campus (not to mention being about an hour away from everything; the mountians, desert, beach, LA, etc.) the students make campus and the surrounding area feel like a college town. Also, with our trips to various amusement parks, LA to see plays or musicals, or even students who take trips to Las Vegas, it's really an amazing place to be. Even if you aren't on campus, you're still with Redlands students which is the best part of any weekend!!

Redlands really is my home away from home! I love being here, even when there aren't many other students here! The campus and people are beautiful. The relationships you get with friends, significant others, faculty, administration, even grounds crew is amazing; and the academics are something I couldn't ask for anywhere else!

All stereotypes have some accuracy to them, and at Redlands there is no difference. However, the large majority of students here aren't hippies or rich white kids. We really are a diverse campus with people from all walks of life. As for cliques, we have them, but mostly they are people you have dinner with. You can constantly find groups mixing and matching in classes, all school party settings, and even just hanging out on the quad or at the pool. We are ALL Redlands students and we all get along great.

My favorite class was probably the Johnston class called: This is not a course: Satire, Irony, and Parody. It was a great course because it was taught by Sharon Oster and Greg Salyer who are a dynamic duo of awesomeness! That class really brought me to my love for reading and an academic fervor that is insurmountable! With the small classes, it's almost impossible not to participate. If your professor realizes that you haven't said anything, they will often direct questions your way, but not necessarily at you, in order to get your opinion on a class topic. My favorite part about academics at Redlands is that they don't just stay in the class. I often find myself talking about issues outside of class as much as I'm talking about them inside! It's also really fun to walk into a conversation and have it evolve into 4 or 5 other topics before returning to the original one. Professors are the greatest! I love meeting up with them outside of class, not only for academics related things but just to talk! I've had dinner at professors' houses, I've had friends who house sat for professors, but the best is when you ask to meet with them and they buy you lunch!

At Redlands, we have all types of groups on campus, like I said, all walks of life. All of my experiences have been great, however, I have heard of of students having lack luster experiences. However, being a student of color and part of the LGBT community, I have felt safe and welcomed on campus. Most Redlands students are from California, though I'm not sure about the So Cal-Nor Cal break down. With that being said, even out-of-state students feel like Redlands really is a home away from home. It's also very difficult to even tell someone is from one place, or another. My best friend is from Las Vegas but he's just like my friends from High School. Students wear anything to class: Pajamas to Hollister, American Express to secondhand store bought clothes. Also, many students wear Target brand clothes, WE LOVE TARGET!

You don't actually have to join a frat or sorority to be social on campus. Redlands has All School Parties every weekend almost that are amazing themed parties in U-hall. We also have great guest speakers like Ben & Jerry who gave us free Ice Cream! We have great communities inside the halls. We have an un-official open door policy which means if you're just hanging out in your room, or doing homework, leave your door open and people will pop by. I've had 2 hour conversations with people who stand in my doorway the whole time because my door was open. There is always someone awake on campus, you just have to find them! Now, with the 24-hour study space, it's really great for the Night owls and insomniacs to go there and hang out rather than trying to find someone they know who's awake across campus. (There is an unspoken Redlands Tradition that students will run from the Chapel, to the Administration building, and back to the Chapel naked. Called a "Chapel Run". ***I've done a few***)

Alot of people tend to think that Redlands students are just a bunch of hippies, or a bunch of rich white kids who get everything they have from their parents. Many people think that we are very much like high school in that we have "cliques" of people who don't hang out with each other.

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.