Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Video courtesy of University of Redlands.

The University of Redlands is a private, independent university centrally located from the beaches, mountains and desert in the heart of southern California.

Recognized for having one of the highest study abroad participation rates among our peers, Redlands students travel the world, choosing from more than 100 programs.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Redlands

Fixed  rate loan

Rick

The best thing about Redlands, I would have to say are the people! I love being able to just walk down the street and have students I don't even know wave at me or stop along the sidewalk on my way to class to catch up with a friend who was abroad the semester before. The people here are really amazing and I love being able to meet new people everyday. If there was something I could change, it would be the amount of free time. I think that we have so many ways that students can get involved that alot of times people can get over involved or students will have less time to hang out simply because it is so easy to get involved. Redlands is definitely not a college town, but with most of our students living on campus (not to mention being about an hour away from everything; the mountians, desert, beach, LA, etc.) the students make campus and the surrounding area feel like a college town. Also, with our trips to various amusement parks, LA to see plays or musicals, or even students who take trips to Las Vegas, it's really an amazing place to be. Even if you aren't on campus, you're still with Redlands students which is the best part of any weekend!!

At Redlands, we have all types of groups on campus, like I said, all walks of life. All of my experiences have been great, however, I have heard of of students having lack luster experiences. However, being a student of color and part of the LGBT community, I have felt safe and welcomed on campus. Most Redlands students are from California, though I'm not sure about the So Cal-Nor Cal break down. With that being said, even out-of-state students feel like Redlands really is a home away from home. It's also very difficult to even tell someone is from one place, or another. My best friend is from Las Vegas but he's just like my friends from High School. Students wear anything to class: Pajamas to Hollister, American Express to secondhand store bought clothes. Also, many students wear Target brand clothes, WE LOVE TARGET!

Redlands really is my home away from home! I love being here, even when there aren't many other students here! The campus and people are beautiful. The relationships you get with friends, significant others, faculty, administration, even grounds crew is amazing; and the academics are something I couldn't ask for anywhere else!

All stereotypes have some accuracy to them, and at Redlands there is no difference. However, the large majority of students here aren't hippies or rich white kids. We really are a diverse campus with people from all walks of life. As for cliques, we have them, but mostly they are people you have dinner with. You can constantly find groups mixing and matching in classes, all school party settings, and even just hanging out on the quad or at the pool. We are ALL Redlands students and we all get along great.

My favorite class was probably the Johnston class called: This is not a course: Satire, Irony, and Parody. It was a great course because it was taught by Sharon Oster and Greg Salyer who are a dynamic duo of awesomeness! That class really brought me to my love for reading and an academic fervor that is insurmountable! With the small classes, it's almost impossible not to participate. If your professor realizes that you haven't said anything, they will often direct questions your way, but not necessarily at you, in order to get your opinion on a class topic. My favorite part about academics at Redlands is that they don't just stay in the class. I often find myself talking about issues outside of class as much as I'm talking about them inside! It's also really fun to walk into a conversation and have it evolve into 4 or 5 other topics before returning to the original one. Professors are the greatest! I love meeting up with them outside of class, not only for academics related things but just to talk! I've had dinner at professors' houses, I've had friends who house sat for professors, but the best is when you ask to meet with them and they buy you lunch!

You don't actually have to join a frat or sorority to be social on campus. Redlands has All School Parties every weekend almost that are amazing themed parties in U-hall. We also have great guest speakers like Ben & Jerry who gave us free Ice Cream! We have great communities inside the halls. We have an un-official open door policy which means if you're just hanging out in your room, or doing homework, leave your door open and people will pop by. I've had 2 hour conversations with people who stand in my doorway the whole time because my door was open. There is always someone awake on campus, you just have to find them! Now, with the 24-hour study space, it's really great for the Night owls and insomniacs to go there and hang out rather than trying to find someone they know who's awake across campus. (There is an unspoken Redlands Tradition that students will run from the Chapel, to the Administration building, and back to the Chapel naked. Called a "Chapel Run". ***I've done a few***)

Alot of people tend to think that Redlands students are just a bunch of hippies, or a bunch of rich white kids who get everything they have from their parents. Many people think that we are very much like high school in that we have "cliques" of people who don't hang out with each other.

Ben

For me the best thing about Redlands is the student life aspect. Most people live on campus and it is really easy to get involved and find something that you are interested in. It seems like there are speakers or events or school of music concerts or sporting events or something almost every night of the week. On the weekends, I love going on day trips with my friends to the beach or mountains or Joshua Tree NP, and usually return to campus in the evenings. Honestly it is so easy to get involved and there are so many options that are open to students.

i think the student body is very diverse, in terms of race, class, economic background, political views, social scene, sexual orientation... everything. If you are looking for something in particular, you'll probably be able to find it. The students are definitely left-leaning, but there is a very vocal conservative minority. I think Redlands is a very casual, relaxed, chill place and the students kinda represent this. Most people, for example, walk around in flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt.

The campus is beautiful with a lot of trees and grass and wide open spaces and beautiful buildings. The town is quiet and safe. The brand new coffee shop under the library is awesome. The weather is great. Over all i love it here and will be sad to leave in a year.

there definitely are those kinds of people, but i think there are just about every other type of person as well. I think to say that Redlands is mostly a jock or rich kid school is not fair at all

small class sizes, good professors who give you personal attention and are really accessible, good classes that are interesting and challenging. I know all my professors on a first name basis

There are too many clubs and organizations to list. I'm involved in outdoor programs, which leads trips hiking, climbing, skiing and snowboarding, and kayaking, rafting, and more. I'm also involved in community service programs like Big Buddies which is a mentoring program for kids from the community. Both outdoor programs and community service are really strong, important programs on campus. There are frats and sororities, which have parties and such, but I don't go to many of them and I don't think they dominate the social scene at all. There are definitely people who drink and party every single weekend, but there are also lots of people who don't, and I can go to a party or just chill little kick-back and still have fun while not drinking. on nice days (which is almost everyday) you'll see tons of people out on the Quad playing frisbee or sitting in the sun, or at the pool just hanging out.

Alexander

The first two years at the University of Redlands has been a unique experience. Imagine a beautiful exotic campus the size of USC but with a small private school located on it. There have been times when I have not felt socially pleased, such as the first semester of sophmore year. However, I have always had one or two good friends here and there that made us stand out. When it came to everyone else, I was cool with everyone. The social life here was somewhat similar to my last two years in High School; partying. Other than the social life and the unique people I have met from around the country, the education is splendid. The extreme small classes of 10-15 students allows you to receive a lot of individual attention from your professors, almost like a private tutor. In adittion, all the professors are quite diverse and extremely educated. To sum it up, the most valuable experiences from attending the University of Redlands has been the education, the few important friends I have made, and the California culture. Coming from a background of having lived in Europe, Montreal, New York, and PA, California shall be my future.

A person who enjoys a small community. The campus is large and beautiful; however, the student body is very small. Be prepared to see a lot of the same students day to day. The classes are small which is great because of the individual attention one may receive. However, be prepared to hold good social skills since it may be tough at first to make friends and fit in like you once did in High School. There is no peer pressure whatsoever. Overall tight school.

Someone who is looking for a large community, big social life on the weekends, large classes. In addition, someone who prefers to be near the beach. Redlands is located 70 miles inland from Los Angeles.

Cheryl

Through my varied professional and educational experiences, I have learned that, contrary to the wisdom bestowed by my high school guidance counselor, not everyone will follow the same path to adulthood. I first entered college at the tender age of 18, completely overwhelmed and without a sense of where I wanted to be in five, ten, or thirty years. The series of life events triggered by that single hastily made choice ? service in the US Air Force, followed by many years of college while working full time and raising a family - has driven my desire to assist others in reaching their own personal and professional goals. My experience with University of Redlands School of Business has been absolutely outstanding I particularly appreciate the focus placed on the students? own professional experience as a foundation for instruction and learning and the level of commitment to learning older students have. While I have maintained my professional goal of working within human resources and staff development, my classmates and instructors have further inspired me to focus even more on becoming a leader in the adult education community as this segment of higher education is, unfortunately, often overlooked by many institutions.

In addition to the satellite campuses, the University of Redlands also offers a traditional learning experience to first-time college students. Before I enrolled, I never even considered Redlands as a possibility for myself or my children as the private school tuition seemed out of reach for us financially. Since then, however, I have recommended to nearly everyone I know who is considering school for themselves or dependents to look at Redlands. My husband is now enrolled in their undergraduate business adult program, and my friend?s daughter is considering transferring from a Cal State school in the fall.

As an adult learner, I understand how difficult it is to find a college program that fits a working professional?s busy schedule. My search for a University was disappointing as many of the local state schools do not offer classes at a time or location that worked with my schedule. The University of Redlands, School of Business accelerated program for working adults is ideal. Not only is the schedule ideal, the experiences brought to the table by my fellow students greatly enhanced the learning process as many of the concepts discussed could be easily applied to real-world examples.

I would tell myself that I should be more involved in clubs on campus and get to know more than one group of friends. I would make sure to stress being more outgoing toward strangers. Starting at the U of R made it easier to introduce myself to the small community, but if I had been outgoing as a high school senior it would have been less difficult to speak up. I would advise myself to learn how to carry on an airy, casual conversation more often and without hesitation. This would have made my transition so much simpler.

The best thing about the U of R is the small community on campus. The professors are very warm and helpful and it is a very welcoming and open environment. You are sure to find a club or sport on campus that interests you with the varied groups on campus.

I have not found to dislike anything here at Redlands thus far.

Michelle

My dear sweet Michelle, I have travelled back in time to whisper some wisdom into your heart. Please listen closely as I have only a few moments to share about your future. Go to college and finish what you start, complete your degree in psychology. Even though you feel lost and unsure of what and how you will fit into this world, have no fear, a direction will become clear. You are a winner even though you lack the self esteem to know how truly smart you are. I want you to trust your intelligence, but not only that, but to trust your heart too. As you will see that most people don't follow their calling, they lack the gumption, the faith in believing that their dreams are possible. Find a mentor, find counsel, get support from those that can see your gifts and potential, just don't give up, don't quit. Excel in school, like a diamond in the rough that becomes polished by learning. Don?t take school for granted, have gratitude for the opportunity to learn, and whatever you do, avoid the biggest regret of your life, by not finishing. See you in the future!

Well get ready to laugh, I don't brag about my school, however I would recommend it to others that wanted to be single pointed and focused in their education. Obviously an adult program is more streamlined than hanging out on a campus all day, or having the luxury of being on campus all day and enjoying the social life that college offers. University of Redlands does have a great reputation, so maybe I might through that fact around a little bit after all!

April

I would walk right up to myself and say, "April, don't give up." There have been many times in my life that I have given up. I have always put my families interests before my own, that is what happens when you become a mother. It took a long time to realize that until I get my education there is no taking care of my family. I would like to show my children that there is a future when you get your education. I have been in school now for the last two years and have just recently accomplished a transfer into a University. Old April would not have been able to imagine herself standing in front of the University of Redlands admissions building. I am there and I am not going to give up.

It has the best schedule for me.

The whole admissions process is done for me. Sure, I have to show up and do little stuff but they almost complete it all. The University of Redlands also has a gret team that is so willing to help.

Nieko

The university of redlands understands the difficulties and hardships that freshmen students face when coming to a university where they can feel lost and find themselves quite alone and depressed because of comfort zone issues, confidence issues, family problems, or any event that has shyed them away from real open socialization with their fellow peers, so to help these few students overcome this problem they have developed a special 3 day program called Train, and through this program students see that they are truly not alone and build a network of friendships that would have otherwise been impossible to establish.

Staying focused on school is important and you've shown the ability to focus on anything you've set your mind to and accomplishing all your goals, but it's also important to take a step back, maybe even two, from school work and slow down and enjoy your fellow peers. Their friendships and support is invaluable in college and you'll learn that although it's your four years in college, you really can't do it all alone and to have a support network behind you is the greatest inspiration and motivation to reach even higher goals and accomplish things that you couldn't fathom accomplishing on your own. Relax and open up to the people around you, they all see great potential in you and want nothing but the best for you, so to let them in, and to let them help you in your time of need is a two way connection that you'll find you constantly need to have in order to truly flourish and shine. College is supposed to be the greatest years of your life, and the greatest thing you could have are friends that truly care about you.

Athena

Friendly, motivated, unique, diverse

Friendly, motivated, unique, diverse

Large campus (160 acres). smaller population of students (2400 undergrad), strong emphasis on study abroad (40% go abroad), good international business division, fun atmosphere, great facilities

Go for the school you want. Research everything carefully and always make sure to visit the campus many times. Get in touch with the people there and understand the school you want to get into. Definitely make sure to stay organized and utilize the resources that you have.

Courtney

Personally, wasting money. The school has the unique ability to gather large sums of money and waste them on unimportant, non-student oriented activites. An example would be 3 years ago when the school raised millions upon millions for a "centennial party." Today there are still dorms without heat or air conditioning, and sub-par conditions. This school is also around 3,000 students, yet parking is incredibly hard to find.

I would know more about the intended carreer I would want to go in. That way you can research the best schools for that specific major and know that you would be getting a complete education. By declaring a major late, was unable to have the luxury of taking more elective courses, and instead find myself cramming in classes needed for my major. Also by declaring late, if halfway through the major, if it turns out to not be what you think, you are too late to change to another major. At Redlands, I am a Financial Economics major, and though it sounds impressive, the actual course load for this major is not what is expected. I have had almost no Finance classes, and my Senior Seminar class was far from putting my overall education to use. Instead we were "lumped" with Economics major and had no finance, once again, in that course. I now feel very unprepared for a carrer in the finance industry, when I thought by declaring I would be getting a true education in it.

A person who know what they want to do. In this school the sooner you know the better, and the more you are able to utilize the resources given at this school. A lot of internships or programs that are career oriented are geared towards younger students. A person would also need to be flexible as this school changes course requirements for majors often, is under construction, and school policies very often.

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.