Laramie, WY
University of Wyoming

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Wyoming

Torry

Okay, so the school is cool and I really like all the facilities and conveniences and all that jazz, but the wind here is so terrible that it makes me want to kill myself sometimes (haha, not really, but it's pretty bad). I like the town of Laramie because it's just the right size for my liking and is very "hip" and "college-y." It has some cool stores and coffee shops, and it has a Safeway, which is badass. As for school pride and all that, I'm pretty sure it's through the roof. I'm really not into football and cowboys and things of that sort, so I'm not exactly like "Go Pokes! Whoop whoop!" but everyone else is, so I guess that's good. Ummm...I spend a lot of time at the gym and in the Fine Arts building (Art major, what do you expect). But yeah, I'm pretty content with everything except for the shitty weather.

Most students dress super casual (sweats, UW gear). There are quite a few cliques I'm aware of, and that's interesting to me because I always thought college wouldn't be as clique-y (it might just seem less clique-y because it's so spread out). I think most students are from Wyoming, but there's a decent amount of kids from Colorado, Nebraska, and the surrounding states. I wish students were MORE politically aware (I'm in Rocky Mountain Democrats, so that's kind of important to me), but the awareness is pretty good overall I think. And, since we're in a red state, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of right-wingers; although, I'm aware of a lot of lefties, so yeah.

The friends I've met here are AWESOME, Rocky Mountain Democrats are AWESOME, the gym is AWESOME, the Fine Arts programs are AWESOME, and the overall atmosphere of the campus is AWESOME, but the wind sucks ASS.

I'm going to say that a lot of them are...but obviously there are always exceptions.

I'm super happy with my art classes and my Japanese class. Japanese is definitely unique and is probably my favorite because it's so small and informal and our instructor is awesomely Japanese. So far, I've liked all but one of my professors, so that's a good sign. Actually, I was somewhat surprised at how much discussion takes place in classes, so that's cool too. And I'm down with all the requirements, but as an Art major, I'm pretty sad that I have to take lame-ass math because I hate it. But whatev.

Okay so I'm under the impression that there's a lot of drinking and partying that happens with the kids here, but I'm not in that crowd so I wouldn't really know I guess. I hang out at my friends' houses most of the time doing cool stuff like playing video games, board games, movies, just awesome hang-out stuff. But I think people here party a lot, which is lame. Athletic events are WAY popular (not to me, I'm a theater-goer). And yes, I stay up really late doing awesome stuff like playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Dungeons and Dragons with my friends, but I don't think that's the norm (haha).

They're all cowboy hicks and are dumb and lame...I guess. I mean, it IS Wyoming.

garret

wyoming has great scenery. if i could, i would stop the wind from blowing. the school is a good size. business classes are typically about 30 students. i spend most of my time on campus in class. its best to be indoors during winter. there are a lot of new building being built right now (08) that should be completed in a few years. school pride is really strong. the football games always have good attendance and also our girls basketball team kicks ass. parking is the biggest complaint from all students. there really is only one big parking lot and you must ride a bus to the campus from it. if you park closer to campus it's in a pay lot where you pay 50 cents an hour but this lot is really small and you have to get there early to find a spot.

wyoming has a diverse student body. lots of women and minorities in business classes. most students are from wyoming, south dakota, colorado, and nebraska. most people at UW are not rich. lots of colorado students decide to come up and attend school here because it is cheaper for them to pay out of state at UW than to pay in state in CO.

no not at all. we have everything that other states have. wyoming isnt in the dark ages still. and most people who live in wyoming are not farmers or ranchers or cowboys. there are a few however.

generally the professors do know your name. sometimes the class size is large though so student teacher interaction is limited. lease favorite class - accounting I and II. most favoritie class - introduction to theatre. upper level business classes tend to have group projects.

that we are all cowboys and farmers or hicks. that wyoming doesnt have normal amenities such as, cable television, the internet, running water, paved roads, etc.

emmy

I don't think that I would change anything about UW. I love it here, even when I get weird looks when I say that I am going to school there, just because NY is so far away from it. The atmosphere is great although it is almost always cold. It is not taken for granted though when the sun comes out, you see so many more people outside enjoying it. A college town is what Laramie is to me. When the school year is over it becomes more quiet so I hear, and on the weekends you can tell that the students are out because campus is deserted. I think that the administration does a great job keeping the students updated on campus activieties and construction and all sorts of opprotunities, many of them are free. We get emails at least once a week updating the students. I think that UW has a good amount of campus pride. We do well not only in academics but in extracuricular activities and sports. The one thing that is most complained about is the fast changing weather, however we put on our layers and walk to school and around campus with the same attitudes as when the sun shines- sort of. We at least still go to class. I think that I will always remember the welcoming feeling that comes when a new semester starts, there is a new beginning-like feeling. An opprotunity is again opened to become a better student and get more involved. The University of Wyoming was my first choice and still is.

I have to say they are not accurate. There is a wide variety of students from different parts of the nation as well as the world that come here to get a higher eduacation at a school that is rated in the top 100 in the nation.

All the students are native. It is a horrible palce to get a college education because it is in Wy, and a bunch of hicks come here

Hunter

Most are not true however there are a greater number of farm and ranch students here than most places.

I think that academics at UW are amazing and have prepared me for years of medical practice.

Wyoming is a totally rural and cowboy state. The students are only cowboys and cowgirls who ride horses to school and have to protect their home from galavanting hostiles.

The wide open spaces and everyone's generosity is by far my favorite part about our state. I would bring more people here and have at least one big city. This place is too small and everyone seems to get sucked back into the state. I love the size of our university. I hope it stays this sixe so we can eventually get another university in the state. Because Laramie is so small the town is basically the campus so everyone is always at the union, on Greek Row or buzzing around downtown in Laramie. We are very lucky to have such a strong faculty and administration here at UW. They are all here truly for the students. This is evident because they know everyone's names and make you feel like people. I think the biggest controversy on campus is parking and pedestrian safety is our biggest challenge and concern. Unfortunately we have little to no school spirit. I think my high school has more spirit. This is because everyone who attends here are on scholarships and Wyoming was not their first choice. Our parents have so much pride. Wyoming is just very small and everyone here has a small town mentality. This makes us a little unusual. The one experience I will always remember is the lasting friendships I have made here. I am a better person because of this University and all that it has offered me. I think parking again is the biggest complaint.

We are diverse in all areas compared to the rest of the state. We have people from all backgrounds, religions, genders, etc. I do feel that anyone who is not white and middle class would feel out of place only because the rest of the state is that. Most students wear sweaters, jeans, and t-shirts. Now and then you see students in business attire. UW is a great place because everyone hangs out with everyone else. It is very much the opposite of high school; however, everyone does have their group of friends. Unfortunately I never ate at the dining hall but I could guess there are the social people, the athletes, the Greeks, and everyone else. Most students are from Wyoming, middle class white families. Students are VERY politically active and involved here, and there is a definite split of republicans to democrats. Students here are mainly focused on the "right now" rather than "what will become of me."

Wyoming is an amazing place and we are lucky to attend school here because it makes us different.

Somewhat. We actaully are very diverse in our thinking however the people who are very set in their ways will never change.

Yes, professors know our names. My favorite class is Gender and Religion. I love this class and I am thinking about adding on a religion minor just because of this class. My least favorite class is Gender and Society. I study usually for five hours Monday through Thursday and the weekends at least six hours total. The most unique class I have taken is Women in Poverty in the United States. I have two departments. Both are a lot alike in that they are very active in helping students. The women's studies program is very involved on campus by hosting events and being a part of the campus community. I did spend time abroad with my professors in the Women Studies department and I see my advisors in both departments once a semester. I feel we have a very competitive University with challenging courses and classes. I feel that this University really prepares students for the real world and is very helpful when looking for jobs!

Because Wyoming has so many RSO's (recognized student organizations) there is not one popular group or club to be involved in. I think intramurals are very popular along with the social justice clubs. I am active in Greek Life, Honor Societies and small campus projects (i.e. parking). The students in the resident halls leave their doors open when they are home. It is like a little community. Athletics and guest speakers are very popular; however, theater is not as much the number one thing to attend. People tend to date others in their groups. For example you see a lot of Greeks dating other Greeks, and a lot of international students dating other international students. I met my closest friends through Greek Life. If I am awake at 2 AM (which is almost every night), I am studying!! Traditions are homecoming, Greek Week, Homecoming Sing, Parades, and AIDS walk. People party a lot here at UW, however, it is college and a lot of people party just because of the demographics. Greek Life here at UW is only 4% and not very popular. No one really hates the Greeks they just are neutral. Last weekend I went home with my friends to see my parents. Other events on Saturday nights are the movies, bowling, game nights, and outdoor events. Off campus you can do all of the previously stated items.

Very conservative, small town, set in our ways, family oriented, big skies, everyone is friendly.

Barbara

I love the University of Wyoming. This is the right place for me to be in my life right now. UW is big enough that it has a wide range of classes and majors, but has the feel of a small college. Laramie is a nice little college town; although most people go to Ft. Collins if they want to do something interesting. I really like it here, but I don't think it is a good fit for everyone, particularly if you are looking for a 'big city' atmosphere.

Most of the students here are middle-class white children from Wyoming, but there is also a large group of international students. I have found almost everyone to be fairly open-minded, more so than you would perhaps suspect given their backgrounds. As a lesbian Jew I am not your typical Wyoming student, but so far I have not felt intimidated or degraded. In fact, last year I was trying to fix the Sukkah, a temporary building errected for one of our holidays, and two other students came up and helped and asked me about it. They were very nice, and interested in Judaism, but had very little information about it. In my experience this has been pretty typical; people are ignorant of my traditions, but not prejudiced against them.

Only to some degree. I have found that everyone is very friendly, but some Wyoming natives grip about new people moving into the state. Mostly it's in fun and not meant seriously, but people out here like the idea that Wyoming is "out there." That there are not very many people and not much to do is a stereotype based in reality, but propogated by the natives.

I think the classes here are pretty much similar to elsewhere. A lot of students here are focused a little more on what they will be able to do with their degrees once they graduate, but I may think that because most of my friends are graduating within a year. There have been a few professors that I absolutely loved and a few I despised, but I think that's pretty typical.

I can't really speak to the social life at UW. I am very introverted and so don't participate in large group events. I do know that the Campus Activities Center hosts some kind of entertainment every Friday evening, but I have no idea how well those events are attended.

Stereotypes about Wyoming: everyone is a cowboy/girl, or that people are resistant to outsiders.

Bryan

There are many students who choose to drink a lot, but there are many that choose to not drink at all. I would say that this stereotype is not entirely accurate. Also, many students at Wyoming are cowboys, but by no means is the entire campus hicks.

University of Wyoming administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.