West Virginia University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for West Virginia University

Brianna

When they say country roads take me home, they mean it. Right from the beginning I felt at home here and I can easily say this has been one of the best decisions of my life. I love my classes and the opportunities I have had with the Research Apprenticeship Program, study abroad trips and various organizations. My classes have prepared me for health professional school and admissions tests, such as the DAT. I have one more year left during undergrad and can honestly say that the days have passed by way too fast.

lakin

I really like WVU. They make you feel at home and you meet so many new people for many different places. They have a very diverse culture. They take care of their students and staff. The best part is making friends from different places. They take academics very seriously and have many tutors to help you.

After visiting the campus, I have found the perfect college for me. With all of the welcoming students throughout the campus, I see smiling faces greeting me with countless opportunities for anything. Between the excitement to learn and get involved throughout the community WVU is an amazing place that would be a perfect fit for anyone who wants to pursue an educational career.

Cody

West Virginia Univeristy has become my home away from home. Everyone is so friendly there and I couldn’t be happier that I chose WVU. I honestly think it’s the best college in the world, the academics are stellar, the people are caring and respectful, and our professors actually care about the well-being and academic standing of their students unlike many other professors who are there for the paycheck and leave as soon as their office hours are over. I have deep respect for this school and what it has done/will do for me!

Jes

It is a very fun, lively school if you are looking for the big campus sports party campus. It isn't exactly the liberal, artsy school nor a preppy school. It is very fun.

West Virginia University is challenging. However, it brings out the best in me each and every day that I am a part of the Nursing program. I want to help other people because it brings out the best in me. The instructors are demanding, but firm, fair, and honest. They challenge you to levels that seem to be "off the chart", however, when you meet and exceed those expectations, it breeds a stronger desire to be all that you can be.

Tara

Although the stigma of WVU is that it is a party school, I would have to say that is definitely going away. Of course in college you will always be able to find parties, or people will always be drinking, but everyone is there for the same reason... to learn. I have met some of the most amazing people on campus and I've never felt unsafe. There are always cops patrolling which is comforting. The professors have always been available and ready to help whenever it is needed. I'm very happy that I chose this college as it has become my home. It is a huge campus, but I've never felt lost in the crowd or that I did not fit in. West Virginia also loves their Mountaineers. The atmosphere for the athletic games is nothing short of incredible. I can not say enough positive things about this university.

Moses

Great!

Sara

I am currently in my fourth semester at WVU. The university offers many majors to choose from, including a competitive medical program. There are four small campuses located at the main Morgantown campus that are somewhat spread out. Getting between campuses can prove difficult, but the university offers public transportation in both forms of small track operated vehicles called PRTs, and buses. Overall the students have a lot of school spirit, especially when it comes to sports; particularly football. Most of the classes I have taken hold around fifty students. A drawback of attending this school is the lack of student parking, and again, the campuses being spread out. The city in which the university is located has a lot to offer college students and there is never a moment to be bored. I recommend this school to WV residents or those students living nearby. It is affordable and you will get a decent education.

Angelica

We're I am gonna go to college when it's time.

Emma

West Virginia University is a wonderful college where students can grow and evolve. This university allows students to advance academically and socially. The atmosphere on campus is wonderful. It is not only a place to learn but a place to meet interesting people.

Noah

A great school that doesn't get the attention it deserves. Very nice campus,, great student body, and top their athletics. Not as highly regarded as it should be. Nothing in particular stick out as a negative besides that because campus is so big it can take forever to go between classes.

Natalie

Those who have never been a student at West Virginia University may think that attending such a large and fun institution is trouble-free but they will never know how extremely challenging it is. For years, WVU has been featured in the media for being notoriously engaging. This especially applies to the unity of the student body, school spirit, Division I sports, and not to mention, the barbaric party scene. On the other side, there is no doubt that WVU’s course curriculum is demanding, which is expected. College is meant to be academically challenging to it’s students. This in turn, forces students to stretch their brains and imaginations. Despite this, as being a former student of WVU, it was more than clear to me that not every single student, was engaged in their demanding course load. In fact, it seemed that the average West Virginia University student did not take academics seriously. The public land grant university accepts 85.5 percent of its applicants per year. With this rate being so high, it can be said that WVU doesn’t deny many and their minimum GPA requirement is low. As an effect, I was constantly surrounded by students (and a university president) that were extremely irresponsible and not serious about school. This common lack of concern and responsibility derives from WVU’s past traditions. For example, igniting couches on local streets has been one of WVU’s oldest rituals in order to symbolize “school spirit” after a big win. Anywhere from beating a big D1 university in football or basketball to the assassination of Osama Bin Ladin are more than good excuses to dangerously riot on campus by tearing down street signs and wreaking havoc with blearing chants. I saw this first hand my freshman year after beating Baylor University in football. In this case out of many, campus was turned into an extremely dangerous place and the police was forced to pepper spray approximately 100 students in order to tame them. I shortly realized thereafter that pepper spray would be used by UPD often. I always opted out of these types of activities; none of it appealed to me. During the weekend, the university president would easily be sought socializing with students either downtown where nightlife resided or uptown at different fraternities. He has been photographed while present and displayed on different social media networks setting an awful example for the entire student body to see. During my time there as a student, it was difficult to connect and coexist with others on campus. It was backbreaking to find others that were morally similar to me. With a 56 percent graduation rate it was easy to see why almost half of students either left, failed out, or got expelled. Being in that 56 percent, I am more than happy to say that I chose to transfer at the end of my sophomore year and I never looked back. I found that attending a new institution with a 29 percent acceptance rate made all the difference.

When people first hear of WVU, they think of booze, parties, and students setting couches a blaze, but what they don’t realize is that is just a small fraction of the students here. I am lucky enough to partake in one of the amazing campus organizations, WellWVU, where we promote health education, whether its from sexual health, to moving at least 30 minutes a day and getting your freebies (fruits and veggies!). I think that most people overlook the fact that many of students are here, working hard to better ourselves and our future. We have many great programs from whether its at the Health Science Center or on Evansdale campus, there is something for everyone. we have top rated medical programs with innovating technology and people eager to learn and educate themselves. The public needs to stop focusing on the negative and look for the positive at our university. We are a diverse group of young adults, looking to change the world and make it a much better place.

Ciara

Honestly, I have fallen in love with my school. I love cheering on my fellow mountaineers, I love hospitality of the people, and I love how accepting everyone is. Of course there are flaws just like there are in many other colleges. There's limited parking along with professors who aren't enthused with their jobs. There are little bits of crime along with some bad advisors. But the good and the amazing experiences outweigh all the bad. Nothing compares to singing Country Roads with thousands of people that you call family.

Kathleen

I love WVU. I have opportunities here that I never would have had at home. For an out-of-state student, the tuition is fair, and it is easy to have fun. There are so many organizations to get involved in that everyone is bound to find something that they love. Let's go!!!

Aubrie

West Virginia University; When the sky is blue and the sun is gold, it's sure a good day to be a mountaineer! Here at West Virginia University, we strive for excellence, elegance, and take pride in academics. Many notorious people have attended this school, and have gone through multiple nation recognized program. As for me, I am currently enrolled in the number one Forensic Science program in the nation at WVU. It is one of nine colleges that have proper accreditation for this field of study, and is recognized across the world for being prestigious in this area of study.

Nicholas

I love the academics and the environment on campus. The university may still be viewed as a party college by many, but in reality it is well-respected and very prestigious. I enjoy my classes and the faculty for the most part is very engaging and kind. The dorms on campus are well-kept and have great staff and RA's running each floor.

shelby

I think the school spirit is admirable and makes for a great college environment! Students are encouraged to get involved and try their best in their classes. Professors push students to do their best at all times. The school also offers numerous study abroad and adventure trip programs that give students a new perspective on the world.

Neazha

WVU is an amazing school from the campus itself to the academic programs offered. While being at WVU its a second home to me . I made great friends with long lasting memories. Every chance I get I recommmend someone to go to WVU even if its just for a visit on a weekend. Its a great experience. Those “Country Road” sure do take you home!

Devin

Overall, West Virginia University is an amazing school to attend. I would recommend this University to anyone trying to get away from home and have a fun time during their college life. However, If you are not big on sports I do not recommend coming here as college sports is a big deal throughout the University.

WVU has a great campus feel and there is always plenty to do and several different ways to become involved in fun and interesting activities! The only drawback to it is that the party scene is a little too big for my liking and tends to give WVU a bad rep but all in all there's no other college that I'd rather be a part of:)

Madison

My mother went to West Virginia university so I used to go a lot when I was a kid, recently we visited and now that I'm older I am in love with it all over again. Both the downtown and evansdale campus are beautiful, the people are so nice and the vibe at west virginia university in general is great!

Eric

West Virginia University is the college of my hometown. It is an excellent facility; it singlehandedly keeps our city relatively stable, economically speaking, in an otherwise very poor state. There are multiple campuses set up all over town for many people to attend. The college has several libraries that anyone can access. The Creative Arts Center, the place to be for those doing theatre and music and such, offers many concerts, performances and the like that anyone may attend if they purchase tickets. The college overall enriches the community. Academically speaking, it is excellent. I have not encountered a single professor who was not above-average in my time here and all my classes have taught me skills that I'll actually need. The food is excellent, and they provide public transportation for many students via the Personal Rapid Transit system-- sort of like a monorail-- and the public buses, which WVU students are allowed to ride for free.

shayla

Coming to West Virginia University as an out-of-state student, I was extremely nervous, but I fell completely in love with this school. Deciding to come here was by far the best decision I have ever made. The academics, the sports, the atmosphere and even the people here are some of the best in the country. With 133 undergraduate majors, there is a career path for almost anyone here. On top of that we have one of the best college football teams. Game days here are my favorite days because of how lively the atmosphere is. I could not imagine going to any school other than almost heaven, West Virginia University.

Benjamin

West Virginia University is a good university to go and have a yourself a good while you develop real world skills. There are scores of every kind of people everywhere so it's easy to make friends. however it's also easy to lose yourself. At the time I went there was, at first a hype for going out and parting not only on weekends but whenever anyone gets a chance. The people who don't know what true independence is may be swept up into this culture, if it was still this way. Over the years though, the school started to get their students focused on studies which actually started to curve the students culture to work hard, play harder. Which indeed helped, but main only for the students that were not freshmen. But then again that's just the culture going in for every freshmen. The main thing is, though, the schooling aspect. The schools that mattered for the university were more than just on point. Engineers, business, science, and more where really head over heels for helping their students get through the programs if they were willing to do the work. Not only that but if you feel like you didn't belong, the school would help you find the next best fit for you so you don't waist too much time and money wondering around. Overall I do give WVU a 4/5 because, though it is great, it can always do better and is TRYING to do better.

Kendall

When I took my orientation tour before the semester started I knew I wanted to attend WVU. My permanent residence is 6 hours south of campus but I still feel like I belong here in Morgantown. The people I have met, the events and conversations that occur on campus make WVU a truly unique university! And the academics are just as strong, all of my major professors are so willing to work with me in creating a strong academic portfolio and get me ready to take on the real world. I really couldn't ask for a better alma mater.

West Virginia University is in the top tier when it comes to scientific research. We also are in the top tier of medical schools in the country. We are also well known for our performance in sports both males and female. How do I feel about my university? I am glad to be apart of this institution. I will be leaving with a good education and a successful future ahead with a degree from WVU under my belt.

Alejandra

I honestly love it here. But it's true when people say "its what you make it" I know a bunch of people who want to transfer, but I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I do warn you if you don't like to go out this isn't your school. I get good grades and just go out during the weekends. But this school could honestly have better parties

Ariana

West Virginia University is home to me. My classes only have twenty or so students in them, the professors know me by name, and I know all of my classmates. I've made so many friends, have learned so much, and have been provided many opportunities. I love my college. Let's go, Mountaineers!

West Virginia University is an overall amazing school. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. It's a safe campus and you can walk anywhere alone and not feel afraid. I love the classes because the professors really do care about their jobs which makes our jobs as students easier. They really do care about us learning the material and succeeding. On top of the academics, there's always something to do and I love that. We have places to go hiking or just to sit and enjoy the beautiful view. The students at WVU are like a unit and everyone is really friendly to all of their fellow mountaineers.

Justin

WVU is an all around great school. It has something for everyone. From sports fans to the intellectual learners. The facilities are amazing and the overall college life is outstanding. The housing is quite comfortable, and the amount of options for food is outstanding.

Anne

I love it here, the culture at WVU is amazing and the people are so awesome. However, I am in a sticky situation where I don't like the major that I am in but don't want to change my major because I am currently paying in-state tuition because of the Ohio Reciprocity Agreement, and can't afford out-of-state tuition. If you are in a position similar to mine and are looking to come here for a major and pay in-state tuition, think long and hard about it! I don't want anyone to be stuck in the same situation as me and feel trapped. Despite this, I really do love this school and all that it has to offer! Go Mountaineers!

This school is absolutely amazing from the wonderful professors to the general campus vibe. Partying is very big. The fraternities are always doing something but you don't have to go if you don't want. Clubs are also very important. Personal security can be a little questionable in some places on campus but there is an app that the school encourages everyone to download that has a very easy way to share where you are with the police and they will get you home. I would not change my mind about coming to West Virginia from Texas because even though it is a big univeristy, it feels very small and like you are at home.

Andrew

West Virginia University in an awesome school. The teachers really want you to succeed and are willing to help you. The opportunities to do expound on your experiences are numerous. You can never be bored. There are hundreds of clubs to join. Overall WVU is an amazing university.

Cassie

its a really great school! the teaching is great. and people are usually nice! to me its home away from home. The friends I've made here are the friends that I will have forever. I wouldn't trade this school for the world. the energy that is given is just amazing!

Holly

I think WVU is a great place to further my education. There is a strong sense of community and belonging everywhere you go. There is something for everyone to get involved in. The professors are very personable and welcoming of new ideas and opinions from students, you won't ever feel like an outsider because of your beliefs. The classes can be big, but the professors are usually welcoming of anyone wanting to meet outside of class who can't make it to their scheduled office hours.

Marina

West Virginia University is home to a wide array of highly acclaimed majors, faculty, and geography. The pinnacle of the university is, the overwhelmingly positive experience the vast majority of its students encounter. A degree from WVU carries weight in a lot of professions. Professors are highly qualified in their respective fields, and are able to guide inquisitive students into making informed, well thought out decisions regarding future choices in career paths.

Donovan

Amazing Campus

Sienna

West Virginia University is a very comfortable school with a lot of opportunities for students. Staff is always willing to help whenever you need it and the other students on campus are very welcoming. The food and on-campus living is also very nice.

Kenyane

I love West Virgnia University. I have met a lot of people that share the same interest as I do and determination to be successful. WVU cares about academics and about making sure students feel welcome and enjoy college life. Students who attend WVU turn into family and I truly appreciate the opportunity the school has given me. GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Madison

WVU is a great school with an equally great community. The majority of students love the university and it shows with volunteering and school spirit. You can always find a helpful hand or something to do whether that’s school sponsored and/ or going to a bar to drink. It’s very diverse in activities and for a facility in West Virginia it is also quite diverse demographically such as politics and religion. You can find just about every type of person here.

hadeel

It is a challenging school but could do better with helping students in need of academic help better. College life here seems like it is always about social life, fashion and outings mostly for people in a non-serious major. But even when i speak to some people, i feel very left out with the minimum knowledge i get about life and things happening around society. My professors tend to not help when mostly needed and always give us the bare minimum, which is not accepeted in the engineering schools at all.

Myya

West Virginia University is an average small town college. West Virginia University is commonly known for it's partying scene, but the university also offers a lot of other activities that it's students can partake in if they are not fond of parties.

Jeremiah

There is a great culture among the students, staff, and administration. I've had a great time attending West Virginia University and I'm really glad I decided to come here because I know that this is an experience I don't think I'd get anywhere else.

Olivia

West Virginia University offers numerous opportunities to ensure the success of its students. It is a university that truly cares about the success and safety of its students. Not only is it affordable but also reliable when it comes to knowing that you will receive a quality education.

Katherine

I think that WVU is a great institution for the tuition: overall experience. With low instate and out-of-state costs, free transportation, mental health counseling, student orgs, and Adventure WV, it's a good state institution. Morgantown is a little depressing, but your legs will look great from walking up and down High Street everyday. There are a lot of opportunities for research, volunteering, and internships, but sometimes you have to seek them out yourself. Independence is key.

Jessie

Social life is great and the atmosphere is fun and inviting. You will never be left out since we have many clubs, organization, and greek life. Everyone wants to be friends and the academics, professors, and facilities are amazing. Dorms aren't extremely small and they're actually very comfortable. Shops, restaurants, and entertainment is everywhere. Food in the dining halls are great. There's is never a dull moment on campus. It's got my vote.

Shelby

WVU has a beautiful campus year round. In the fall, you can find most students at the football field. WVU is full of wonderful people from all different places. It is very diverse and welcoming. There is plenty to do around campus and town. There is the Rec Center on campus, where theres an indoor pool, basketball courts, rock climbing, a workout room, and much more. Off campus about 10 miles away, sets Coopers Rock. There are plenty of trails to get out and enjoy nature, when you're not in class.

Alexandra

I love WVU, it's my home! However, if an incoming student isn't prepared for or aware of the lifestyle, it can be detrimental to their studies. Many students flunk out of their first semester because they spent too much time in the party scene and lost track of their classes. Personally this has never happened to me, but 80% of my floor from freshman year no longer attend because of this issue. As long as you keep your nose in your books when you're supposed to and balance your time wisely you will be fine. Campus housing is lackluster, as is off-campus, but every student loves the charm of all of the old college houses in sunnyside and the tradition that comes with them. All of the students live for football and basketball season-it's the highlight of my year to storm the court, and West Virginia athletics really can't be beat (Big 12, baby!). All in all, I love WVU and all of the experiences and ups + downs that go along with it!