Sacramento, CA
California State University-Sacramento

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend California State University-Sacramento

Alex

MELTING POT...end of story. But I feel it is more conservative compared to say, Berkeley. I feel that's because Sac State students have a better grasp o what the real world holds, and many aren't still mooching off mommy & daddy.

Sac State has a huge representation of students that live around campus, which makes for a fun (and actually big) group of people to meet and socialize with. You'll almost always meet someone new at a party. CSUS is one of the best schools on the West Coast, especially for the price. It is also NATIONALLY known for the Criminal Justice program, which is ranked as one of the top 2 in the US. I'm the perfect example of breaking that stereotype of preppy greeks. I listen to hardcore music and dress the part, down to the skinny jeans, band T's, tattoos, and gauged earrings. Our greek system is a melting pot...I mean, my roommate & fraternity brother is a total cowboy that rides bulls for fun!

That the school is ALL commuters, which definitely draws away fom the Greek community. Sac State is only a fall back school for kids who couldn't get into a better one, or a platform to transfer. That Greeks are all the A&F preppy kids that just party and get bad grades.

The Criminal Justice Dept. is the best you'll find. Our professors are all from previous Law Enforcement or Law professions, giving us great knowledge you would never get from a textbook. Plus they all have great stories of their experiences in the field, and they love to share them.

People here love to party, but it in't rampant like some places. It all depends on the people who hang around. Within the greek system, of course it happens. But there is plenty to do in Sac besides have a house party. Dowtown has a great bar/club scene if you know where to look. Also, the Sac music scene is blowning up like a nuke lately...again, if you know where to look. If you're into the rock/hardcore/screamo scene, almost every tour worth seeing comes to Sac.

Gene

The best thing about Sac State is the tuition. We can not get better education or the same for cheaper. One of the changes that I would like to see change in sac state is commuting. I would like sac state to become a college town. There is not enough interaction between students because the majority are commuters. One the experiences i will always remember will be working and giving parking citations.

I love the diversity that we have on campus. I have never experienced racial discrimination and i see that different types of students interact. I personally do.

Absolutely not. Sac State is a very competitive campus and its education level is not than then other universities. I have competed and won against students from UCs.

I am a proud brother of Gamma Zeta Alpha Fraternity incorporated. I love my fraternity and my brothers to me they are my college life. We have three principles which are academic excellence, community service, and the maintenance of the Latino Culture through brotherhood. To me Fraternities are very important because they help students like me who move Sacramento to attend Sac State and dont know anybody. I can honestly say I would not be the leader I am now without being a member of Gamma Zeta Alpha.

One of the best courses I have taken in sac state is Ethnic Studies 11 with professor Sobredo. This professor made the class fun, exciting and taught very well. I believe that some of the professors lack the use of conversations and discussions in class. Most of the them lecture for too long and make the class boring and not interesting. I believe that students do not have intellectual conversations outside of the class. Most of the time I just hear them make comments such as " C's get you degrees". I believe that Sac State can gear a person to getting a job, its up to the individual if they take advantage of it or not.

One of the stereotypes about Sac State is that it is a school easy to get accepted to and it is easy when it comes to classes. Regarding Sac State student, we are viewed as less smart then other schools such as Chico state and other universities. As a Latino one of the stereotypes that i get is that my classes are taught in spanish.

Andrew

I would start by making our school more legit. How? By getting rid of our old dorms and building newer ones, much bigger than the ones we have now. I would provide Greek and nicer off-campus housing, not lofts over in the ghetto part of town where shootings, theft, and drugs are frequently sold. Not only is Greek housing more safe for those who live in the house, but it also provides a better sense of community and 'home.' Our school isn't too small, I would just say that they planned it poorly, and didn't leave much room for growth if they ever wanted to make it like the other bigger schools in California. I would say we aren't a college town specifically because when Gray Davis was in office he said,"I don't want Sacramento to become a college town" and it blows! Sac. State administration does a pretty good job, they could provide us with a cooler campus life if they keep expecting us to pay more money to go to this lame ass school with a 'high school' like greek system. Once again we have ZERO school pride, my high school was better. There are many experiences I will remember from sac. state but they are mostly with my fraternity and I wouldn't have it any other way. Most frequent complaints are that the teachers are for the most part lame and act like they hate their job; hence you will have to suffer because of it.

We go to school in the most diverse city in California...next question. You see the good and bad of each ethnicity some more than others. Most students wear jeans and a t-shirt to class. mostly lower middle and middle class students go to sac. state.

Yes our school has no pride at all. And no, not all fraternity guys are stupid. If anything, being in a fraternity has helped me become more able to accepting leadership roles, better at time management, and helped me network to get a career after college. I'm am smart and have for the most part received A's and B's throughout college, I'm very humble, more mature than most of the non-greeks I've seen on campus.

Sac. State or "slack state" is known as just a bigger school that people drive to school for and then drive home. There is no school pride, and the majority of students could care less about what athletic team is playing. Also, the fraternity guys are viewed as stupid, cocky, and immature.

Gene

The best thing about Sac State would probably have to be how diverse the campus is. There are so many different clubs, organizations and groups on campus that every student can participate in. I love how there are so many different students bringing a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds to Sacramento.

I would honestly have to say that I couldn't see why a student would feel out of place attending Sac State. There are so many different cultures and backgrounds that I'm sure you can identify with at least a small population of the student body. There is also a wide variety of recreational and extracurricular opportunities for students who are interested in meeting other students that are interested in the same things.

Something about Sac State that makes the campus special? Well, it's California's capital campus. That is, Sac State is the only one that gets to call the Capitol it's neighbor.

Well, I'm sure there are students who are slackers that attend this school, but that's not true of all of us. I know of many students who work their ass off in school and still manage to hold down a full-time job. As for the "commuter campus" stereotype, I'd have to agree with it. Coming from Chico, Sac State definitely does not have the whole small town college feel to it. And, yes, the majority of students live off campus (even as far away as the Bay Area).

Just like there are different types of students at Sacramento, there are also different types of teachers. Some teachers actually take the time to know your name and others don't even bother. Regardless of whether or not they care to match a name on the roster to a face, all the teachers I've met have been very knowledgeable about the subject they are teaching. (Thank goodness 'cause that's their job!) There are some classes that have an overwhelming amount of students enrolled and I have heard of instances where students were forced to sit on the floors due to the lack of available seats, but that's not the case of every class.

I feel like there is always something going on at Sac State. Almost every day there is another concert to watch the next hit band, another show to listen to a popular comedian or another showcase for different art projects by students and/or famous artists. Unfortunately, athletic events really are not a big thing here at Sac State. But there is always a silver lining to every dark cloud as the saying goes, and that silver lining is that Sac State is located in Sacramento. And if you can't find something fun to do in California's capital city then where can you find it?

For one, some students at this school have renamed Sac State as SLACKramento. I will admit that this is pretty catchy, even if I don't agree with it. A common stereotype amongst Sacramento State students is that this campus is a "commuter campus."

California State University-Sacramento administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.