Manhattan, KS
Kansas State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kansas State University

Andrew

For me the best thing about KSU is the interaction I have with other people. The relationships I have formed through involvement in groups and organizations at Kansas State are unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Although KSU is mostly white, there is a sizable popluation of orientals. Many of them are married and/or do graduate work.

I feel known in my department and appreciated in my college. Students have a positive attitude and a good work ethic to go with it, and the professors foster intellectual growth.

The Greek social atmosphere is awesome. Kansas State does a great job of encouraging interaction and making events fun for Greeks.

Jared

I really like K-State. Most of my friends are from small towns or the country. I just love the environment here. I from a small town as well and K-State has somewhat of a small town feel to it. There's a whole lot of student pride. Everybody I know who goes to K-State, including myself, loves it. I do wish that the University would not do as much as possible to make a quick buck. So many things that the students end up paying for are things the students do not want or do not think are necessary.

I'm not really in to the whole diversity thing. I do want the people that are around to have the same interests, but I don't care if they're of a different race or the same race. Lifestyles strongly reflect what students wear to class, but many students can be distracting to others.

Not really, there are some students some small towns or from the country, but there are also many big city students as well.

In smaller classes, the instructors do know names. I do not really have most or least favorite classes; I'm really just getting my general education out of the way. Some friends study hard, and others do not. Whatever they're study habits are coming out of high school seem to continue throughout college. There are some intellectual conversations outside of classes, but they all have to do with the students' interests. Students don't seem competitive, but they are alway willing to lend a helping hand.

I not in any groups. A lot of the students leave their doors open, but the dorm that I live in, I either do not like most of the people that do have their doors open, or the doors are shut. Athletics, mainly football and basketball, are huge at K-State. There are guest speakers all the time. Most of my closest friends I have were introduced to me by my brother. If I am awake that early in the mornings, usually I play video games with a few friends at the dorms or doing homework. We have all kinds of traditions, my favorite: "The Wabash Cannonball". There are random people partying all the time. Last weekend, I went home and hunted a turkey and fished for walleye.

Alex

This school needs a bus that goes around the whole city, not just from parking lot to parking lot. I spend all of my time on campus in the engineering complex. When I tell people that I go to K-State they ask if there are any black people here.

I feel like different kinds of students interact. In my major I have many friends that are very different from me. This is kind of a conservative campus but I do feel like people try to be understanding of each other.

Some of my professors know my name. The farther into my engineering career and into the semester I get, the more teachers know me. Some teachers really want to know everyone, others just have too many students and its not that big of a deal to them.

Athletics is a BIG deal here. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am probably studying for a test in the morning or doing my laundry. People party every day of the week and definately Thursday through Sunday.

Paul

The best thing about K-State has to be the pride that the students take in the school. The student body has been awesome at supporting the athletic teams. It is so much fun to go to athletic events because so many people are so excited about it. When we have people going out at least twelve hours early to an event, that shows just how much dedication the students have towards supporting the teams.

Fraternities and sororities are great for the campus. They provide an awesome opportunity for students to interact with others and develop life-long friendships. I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience of the Greek life so far. I have met many people that I would not normally meet. Many of these people are going to help shape the rest of my life.

Alex

We have a beautiful campus with a wide variety of students, professors, majors, etcetera. In general, the campus is very peaceful and students here are fairly friendly. Cliques exist as they do everywhere else but I am certain you will find your niche here!

We have everything: heterosexuals, homosexuals, liberals, conservatives, feminists, rich, poor, country, city...you name it, we are a diverse campus. But, I would have to say that these groups do tend to share the same community very well. I have yet to see a fight in Manhattan and feel very safe here.

Nope! We have a wide variety of students with many different ethnic backgrounds

We have very wonderful and well educated staff. Many of our professors are highly distinguished outside of the campus and I am proud to learn from these individuals.

Manhattan is a very active little town. We have a bar/shopping/eating district right next to campus called Aggieville which gets pretty crazy on the weekends. I was a little turned off initially about how small Manhattan is, but have grown to love it and all its charm.

We are all farmers or come from farming families We have no culture We are all Republican

Royce

Not enough school pride. Athletics needs to be stronger. technology focus is a joke. The services are not worthwhile and are very poor. Technology is the future of education. As students the school should support computer purchases and encourage their use and integration in to class rooms. This could start with a computer initiative that gave students more than the 4% education discount on computers. That is so little it is a joke, I am already in so much debt to go to school how can I afford a full price computer to do all the work that is expected of me.

Better scholarship information and support. Computer initiatives and focus on technology in the students hands and integrating that with life in the class room. Educate teachers on how to make the lessons more technology friendly.

Differential Equations: Math 240 is very poorly organized. the Math department needs to reevaluate the objectives and the learning structure of the curriculum. The online portion of that class is so difficult to deal with it is impossible to get it right. The "parser" is so particular that it impairs learning the concepts and favors a specific keystroke. That needs to be examined immediately.

UPC does a good job but the main headliners need to be moved away from Wednesday nights. Shoot for Tuesday or Thursday and the attendance will double!

Agriculture, cows, hicks, boots, cowboys

Alex

Choosing to attend K-State has easily been the best decision of my life. The size of the school is absolutely perfect. It's big enough that you can get involved in a wide variety of things, but yet small enough that you can make great friendships, and the teachers remember your names. Manhattan is definately a college town, which helps add to experience. The entire community is proud to be purple.

K-State is one of the premiere ag schools in the nation so it's understandable where the stereotype comes from, but it is completely false. There are some cowboys on campus, but I'd guarantee there are cowboys on every campus.

There is a stereotype that all K-State students are hicks from the farm and everyone wears tight Wranglers and big belt buckles.

K-State is a place where you can feel right at home. Where the students are friendly and the opportunites are abundant. There are so many events, activities, and organizations available that it is easy to find your niche and try something new! I will never regret chosing K-State, I've met some of my best friends, participated in some amazing things, and found out more about myself and my abilties! I'm not sure if I can specifiy just one place that I spend most of my time at K-State because I am everywhere! From McCain Hall for my Show Choir Practice, to studying in Hale Library, and at my sorority house to hang out, to the Union for meetings. Since K-State is Kansas' best kept secret I think it could be a little more diverse, though the topic is discussed frequently it would be awesome to see more of it on campus. We have a lot of 'purple' pride at K-State, football games are packed and you can always see a sea of purple where ever you go. Our administration does an awesome job at letting the students have a voice. We have an extremely strong student government that allocates a large budget each year. From a new parking garage to our textbook lists going online our ideas are heard. There aren't too many complaints that I recognize other than the typical college student ones, books are expensive, tution is expensive (in general not specific to K-State), and sleep is a minimum! ha ha

The first one is true we do have a really great student population! The second is definitely not true! We have a fairly diverse student population especially between students from small towns and large ones.

K-State's class sizes are excellent, most are around 20 students except for some of the larger freshman general education classes which can be between 200-500 however, those classes are always accompanied with a smaller recitation period of 20 or so.

Great People! Very down to earth and friendly campus. Have also heard people who don't know anything about K-State say that all of the students are 'hicks'

Alex

The people are the best thing! Everyone is so nice and friendly, making friends is easy. I feel the size is just right, not too many but enough so there's new people to meet everyday! People respond very positively when I say I go to K-State, it is impressive. I spend a lot of time in the library studying, there's tons of great space for quiet studying, or in the dorms. Manhattan is the best college town a person could ask for. Almost everything is centered around the college life, including aggieville! K-State has the best fans so there's tons of school pride. The parking lots are kind of a pain, those could definitely be improved, be prepared to walk a few blocks to get to your car.

There are many different ethnicities on campus, with many opportunities for interaction. However, many students tend to stick with their own backgrounds. In the dining room, you'll see a table of Chinese, a table of African-Americans, a table of whites, and a table with a mix. Most K-State students are from central U.S., MANY are from Johnson County.

No! People from all over the U.S. and world attend K-State. There are tons of different majors to choose from.

I've had a class with as many as 500 students once but most of my class sizes are between 12 and 30 people. Professors make an effort to know your name, but when you get above 100 students, it's kinda impossible. My favorite class I've taken at K-State was Cultural Anthropology, the professor was so interesting and we did a lot of fun things, I really learned a lot. My least favorite was definitely Biology, that class is super hard and K-State is known for that. Students should study as often as they feel neccessary to retain information for their classes. The important thing is to stay on top of assignments and don't let yourself fall behind. Class participation is not really a favorite, many students would rather just sit and listen. No one wants to be the first to speak up. I feel K-State is competitive which is good, we push each other to be the best we can. I'm in the college of education and K-State definitely strives to make sure everyone is ready for the classroom, so they do a great job of preparing teachers.

Just a bunch of farmers attend K-State. Everyone's major is agriculture.

There are hundreds of groups to get involved in on campus. The most popular Christian organization is Navigators, it's a great way to meet people and grow in your faith. Hundreds of students attend. I'm also involved in National Residence Hall Honorary, Kappa Delta Pi (not a sorority, it's a honor society in the college of education), and Kansas National Education Association. Athletic events are HUGE at K-State, you definitely want to buy football and basketball tickets in order not to miss out! I met my closest friends through my roommate my freshman year, (I went potluck and it turned out great!) and then through my classes and other organizations, and the dorms. The greek scene is kinda overrated, you'll do just fine if you don't join! There's still plenty of people to meet and other things to get involved in. I like having my own space and not being cramped in a house full of people.

Kansas State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.