South Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Seton Hall University

Fixed  rate loan

Aubrey

Overall, Seton Hall is a great school with a variety of options for all types of students. If you are invested in academics this school is a great fit! There are TONS of academic national honor societies and academic clubs to join. There are free tutors everywhere you turn and the professors are extremely flexible with office hours. As far as the town goes, there are a few good places to eat as well as your generic starbucks and dunkin' donuts. Frequent student complaints of the past have been: we need bigger/better activities on campus. This year they have started to do so. There have been great guest speakers, roller skating, ice skating, tree lighting, and we are going to have a concert for our spring fling. (Another plus) At Seton Hall, you can always count on receiving tons of free food, and SHU gear. As far as school pride goes, it is very high at the basketball games and it is a great time! When I tell people I go to Seton Hall they say, "Wow, that is a great school!"

Many students partake in or attend athletic events (Varsity, Club, Intramural). SHU offers most sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Softball, Baseball, Cross Country, Golf, Ultimate frisbee, tennis, dodgeball, soccer, flag football, hockey and many more) Quidditch may be added to this list as well! The most popular team on campus is the Men's Basketball team. A majority of SHU students buy season tickets and really show their Pirate Pride! We have a new system in which you go to as many sporting events as you possibly can and you recieve points. The more points you get, the better prizes you recieve. (hat, t-shirt, jacket, xbox, tv etc).

Most of the classes at Seton Hall range from 15-40 students per classroom. (There are a few courses that are taken in lecture halls and big groups though). The professors really try to know the names of the students and help them excel in the classroom. A tip I can give is to always show interest and ask questions after class or during office hours. This will help the professor not only know your name, but know you truly care about doing well in the course. Students usually form study groups before big tests (very helpful). SHU definitely prepares students for graduate programs and has a great acceptance rate for those programs.

I would say there are a variety of people who go to Seton Hall. But generally, everyone is friendly and willing to hold the door for each other and lend a hand when they see some one struggling.

It is a very small school, makes me feel like I'm still in high school. But it is an institution that will prepare you for the best jobs out there. If you like to party and want that full college experience do not come here! Think of state schools. Not enough school pride, no football team. People do not support the basketball (women's) nor the soccer team.. It's sad..

Greek life. No aprty-life. Athletic events are not popular. People usually go home on the weekends because there is nothing to do here.

Different types of students do not interact with each others, there is a lot of cliques, especially with the frats and sororities.

Classes are small so professors get to know your name but you have to put yourself out there. Just because it is a small school does not mean that everyone is going to know your name, even professors learn your name at the end of the semester, if not at all.. Academic requirements are ridiculous, some core classes are a waste of time, all based on religion.

Annamarie

I love that the campus is very compact because in the morning when you have an 8:30am class, it only takes 2 minutes to get to class. The library is not far from anything, so there is no excuse for not studying. The science building has an observatory (with my own eyes I've seen Jupiter and a few of its moons, Neptune, and the moon)!!! This school is known nationally. I've told people in India that I go to Seton Hall University, and they respond, "Oh Yeah, the one in New Jersey. That's such a great school!" This school has a great Dplomacy school. The most frequent complaints are the food on the weekends. For some reason, the food is just terrible. Half the cafeteria is closed on the weekends. But otherwise, the food is awesome because of the variety and if you don't like anything you can always "make your own" sandwich or pasta. There is even a "wok station."

What do students complain about most?

Students don't really complain a lot about the school. We just got a new president and he is amazing. He really listens to the students. A lot of the upperclassmen dorms are brand new or they are newly renovated. The science building is brand new and amazing (it even has an observatory). The cafeteria has a lot of options and if you get sick of it there are a lot of cool restaurants on south orange avenue.

No on dares to tread on the Seton Hall seal in the center of campus. You will see people running accross the green (the grass in the center of camous that the seal is located on). When they suddenly realize that the seal is in front of them, they freak out, stop, and run around it. Groups of people walk accross campus as classes get out and the group breaks up to walk around the seal. It is so cool and funny to watch. Legend has it that anyone who steps on the seal will not graduate. If you do step on the seal, you have to run from the seal to the pirate statue in front of the rec center in under 30 seconds (even the track kids can't do it).

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It wasn't too close from home or too far (one hour) so I could stay on campus but still go home if I wanted to. I got a really big scholarship. It is a Catholic school. The Biology program is great. I loved the campus.

What are your classes like?

My Biology classes are amazing. I learn so much! My favorite professor is the Cell Biology Professor. I just learned so much that it helped me in every single class after that. The Honors Calculus 2 teacher is so helpful. I know Calc 2 like the back of my hand now. THe Honors Program professors are amazing and really push your writing abilities. They helped us think like we never had before.

You are not allowed to bolt you dorm doors or leave them open because the doors are fireproof and propping them open is a fire hazard (check out Seton Hall history, this school the number 1 fire safe school in the nation i'm pretty sure). I met my closest friends in the honors program. We all lived together freshamn year and even though I dropped, we all still eat and live together. There are a ton of clubs on campus. it is a great way to meet people. Personally I am in the (not science...speech) Public Speaking Competition Team, Newark ka Noor (Indian Dance Team), Biology Society, Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-med Honors Society), Bible Study Group, Orchestra, Flute Ensemble, and Eucharistic Ministering. There are a lot of frats and sororities. I don't know a lot of people who pledged although I saw many walking around campus. I have never been to a party involving drinking and I have had a great time so far. You will still have loooooaaads of friends if you don't party.

Everyone is really welcoming of various beliefs on campus. There are a lot of different religions such as various Christian denominations, Muslim, Hindu, and obviously Roman Catholic (mostly Catholic). There is an LGBT group on campus. There are a TON of ethnicities too such as Filipino (the president is Filipino), Indian, Jordanian, Chinese, African American, Russian, etc. In the lunch room, there are three groups: 1) all the varsity sports kids, especially the Basketball team, not so much everyon else, 2) the Honors Program, and 3) everyone else. No one is really money or materialistic oriented. they are very down to earth and friendly but still very competitive.

All my professors know my full name and a little bit about me. Even the big lecture classes like general biology 1 and 2 or general chemistry 1 and 2 (I'm a Biology/Pre-med major). The lecture classes freshman year for Biology are about 120 students but the professors remember you if you talk to them even once. The Chemistry department is terrible the Biology department is worth it. It is SOOOO amazing! Almost every Biology professor is amazing at teaching. They are interesting and really prepare you for the MCAT. They take time to help you if you need it (Chemistry included).

When people think about Seton Hall University they think Basketball and sports. This is true. About a third of the students are participating in some kind of sport, but the other two thirds don't really have a sterotype. I think it's because there are so many kinds of people here from all over the country and the world. There is a HUGE volume of students studying diplomacy and international relations. Many of my friends are not from New Jersey but from Arizona, Holland, China, Nebraska, Illinois, Ohio, California, etc. There is a lot of variety. There aren't many geeks...the honors program kids are cool. We got to do to operas, greek plays, museums, different countries, and much more. The sterotype of sporty kids is somewhat accurate (because the sporty kids are reaaaalllly athletics and competitive), but not really because of the great diversity.

Kenneth

I could go on about how great this school is, but there are two things that stick out the most. One are the professors. The Professors are absolutely amazing here and they will support you and help you at just about anything! They are experts at their fields and they are all active in their fields so if something new comes along in the field you are studying you will probably be the first to know. The other thing that comes to mind is the community. We are such a welcoming community and I can personally say that I have never felt more welcomed then I do at Seton Hall

I would have to say that our Student Government Association, Student Activities Board, and Greek Life are probably our most popular, but there are over 100 clubs and organizations here on campus and if you can't find something that you are interested in you can always create one. I do know that about 80% of our students are in at least one organization and about 50% are in many. I know this because I am one of those 50% that stays really active here at the school. I am a senator for the Student Government Association, an Executive Board Member for the Commuter Council, and a member of Campus Ministry's Liturgical Ministers I keep myself pretty busy. Also students go to NYC almost every weekend. There is so much to there and with the train being a shuttle stop away from the campus its about a half hour train ride till you are in NYC Penn Station. The Student Activity Board puts on so many events and right now they are planning our annual Christmas Celebration which this year will include (if I am correct) the annual Christmas Tree Lighting on the Campus Green, Winter Ball, Ice Skating Rink here on campus, and that is just to name a couple. But there so much to do. Even in South Orange there is so much going on.....so being bored is a myth here.

We are a very diverse school. We have student from all walk of life and I have never seen a study body so welcoming. Our Students here also has a great understanding of what is going on in the world and will discuss it with their friends (even when they are not in class) Every student also has a place in the school. We are not a school that students prefer and everyone is a welcomed member.

Academics here are absolutely the best! I am currently a Political Science Major with a minor in Criminal Justice and I can say from my own experience that the classes are top notch. Also if you want a class where students discuss and take the topic and run with it this is a school that is experts in because I have not been in class that a professor just talks and talks. They will ask a question and halfway through the class we are still discussing or debating the question. Professors are also really easy to get a hold of so if you ever have a question you can just email them and they usually get an answer back to you within that very same day. The school is also so close to New York City that there are so many internships in the area and I know so many seniors that are becoming regular employees for the internships they had over the school year. So our school is very helpful at finding jobs and if you still haven't found that job yet our career center will help you every step of the way!

The common stereotype for Seton Hall Students that I notice the most is that students are preppy and rich. This is not true at all! The student body is so diverse that we come from all walks of life. Yes some are from rich families as in every school you look at, but the school has a diversity that is quite the opposite of what people stereotypically think of Seton Hall

Nayib

Seton Hall University encompasses student demographics from all backgrounds. Coming from over 50 states and territories, and 54 foreign countries. The student diversity, plus the university community bonds at large allow for wide spectrum of academic and social interactions. In Seton Hall University, students are able to freely participate in sports through intramural events, and the university's sports teams. Engage in Greek Life through the different fraternity and sorority chapters, as well as honor societies. Making Seton Hall University a suitable environment for both academic and social development.

One thing that I really appreciate about Seton Hall is the challenging and interesting classes I have taken. Many of the professors who teach here have traveled all over the world and provide an incomparable classroom experience. If there was one thing I could change about Seton Hall it would be for the town of South Orange to embrace the students a little more. Seton Hall does have some really great organizations and teams to become involved in such as Greek life, sports both team and intramural, theater, and student council. Seton Hall definitely has a lot of school pride, our basketball team participates in the Big East. Going to watch our school at the prudential center is certainly exciting. I myself participate in a sorority on campus and I can honestly say it has been the most rewarding experience of my life. The friends that I have made here and the experience I have gained will shape how I look at the world indefinitely.

Here at Seton Hall the most popular activity is joining a Greek organization. There are multiple fraternities and sororities as well as multi cultural orgs. I myself am a sister of Alpha Phi, in my sorority we are involved with a philanthropy which we raise money for annually, we also partake in community service all while enjoying our sisterhood and having tons of fun. There are also intramural sports which are very popular as well. Basketball games are also a lot of fun. Many student buy season tickets and watch all the home games at the prudential center. Dorming was the best experience of my life, it is such a unique experience to be placed with a bunch of your peers in an entirely foreign environment. I have met some of my best friends my freshman year when I first experienced the dorm life. Off campus there is a very quaint town where you can find some of the most adorable little shops and great homemade food!

One thing I can say about the students here at Seton Hall is they are diverse. There is a wide variety of people from different ethnicity and race, country of origin, regions of the U,S, Although this is a private Catholic institution there students of many religions and beliefs. The community here at Seton Hall is very accepting and tolerant. There are people from a wide variety of socio-economic backgrounds, not everyone owns a yacht and not everyone vacations at the hamptons. Since Seton Hall is so close to NYC it attracts a melting pot of students who collaborate to create the amazing, diverse, wonderful school that is Seton Hall.

Laura

If I were to go back in time to talk to myself as high school senior there would be lots that I would inform myself about college. I would make sure I applied for many my scholarships and awards because as college student you need to be able to financially support yourself sometimes. I would tell myself not to stress so much on making friends or worrying about fitting in because unlike high school there are not any cliques or "popular" people that ruled the school. In college you can focus on being yourself and people there will accept you for being you. I would tell myself to focus more on the education perspective of college, rather than the social perspective because the school and your family are financially invested in you to succeed and graduate college. I would tell myself to relax a little bit and do not stress too much in the first year of college, just focus on transitioning smoothly into college and getting the groove and feel of college.

The worst thing would be the tuition and amount of money books cost.

Students that are lazy and irresponsbile should not attend this school. Also people who do not like small, or religious schools.

JoAnna

Don’t Listen to Your Parents Nod once, nod twice and nod a third time. This means your parents think you are listening, understanding and will do whatever they tell you. I was one of those kids, I respected my parents so much and believed everything they had to say so much that I went and did what they told me to do which was, “work hard and you will go far.” Currently my house is going into foreclosure, my credit is not so good because of it, I am unemployed, I have no higher education, I have no money, and I am almost 40 years old. Okay, I would have taken their advice but I would not have thought of on such a board scheme of life. I would have narrowed it down and been more methodical and not have just nodded and said yes ma and pa. Telling my high school self to not listen to her parents, she would have loved that. Telling a teenager not to obey their parents, heaven! Just think if a teenager was allowed to look around and take stock of the real world without being stifled by their parents. What to do?

Syed

Most people assume that college life is all about taking some major courses, graduate and then get a job. But this is not the case. College not only prepares you for your career but it also teaches you so many life skills that you will need in your life. So to maximize this college experience, one needs to get some preparation too. The most important thing that one needs to be successful in college is to be a good listener. We all know about the importance reading and SAT words or importance of note-taking or those extra-curricular activities to be a better speaker. All these skills are important but listening is like the backbone of those skills. It helps you to take better notes, understand lecture and talk intelligently with your fellow classmates and professors. So, to develop this skill, one needs to be friendly and patient. And for academic purposes, doing independent research about any subject matter is very important as it helps one to understand different subjects from any intelligent conversation or lecture. So, I would advice someone to develop his/her listening skills by making connection with different people and doing independent research.

Milvi

Prioritize and focus. That's the advice I would give to my high school self. I used to be a defiant and idealistic girl, always wanting to volunteer more than I could afford. As a result, my GPA dropped to a 3.8, and while that was still a pretty decent grade, it wasn't good enough for the likes of Georgetown or Princeton. I realized that to get the scholarships and admittance to attend quality universities, I should have focused more on my grades rather than my extended volunteer list. After all, one of the priorities every university looks at is the GPA. Another factor that inhibited my chances of getting into an ivy league school is the fact that I chose quantity over quality. I applied to 15 universities during my senior year, stretching myself too thin when writing multiple essays for each university. I lacked focus. What I should have done was apply for 5 schools, each ranging from my dream school to safety net. If I had prioritized my actions and focused on them, I believe I would have gotten into my dream university.

The worst aspect about Seton Hall University is its location. While it's only a 35 minute train ride into New York City, it costs $13.50 roundtrip. This dissuages most students from visiting the city, who instead opt for staying within South Orange. While SO is quite the picturesque town, the criminal violence in neighboring Newark has started to seep into SO. Students usually get an email alert every month, which describes the usual gunpoint theft and violence students experience. Students are thus left stranded within campus walls after dark and usually end up having uneventful nights.

Although Seton Hall offers a generous amount in scholarships, it also costs over $33,000 in scholarships and university fees alone (excluding room & board, text books, and miscellaneous expenses). This makes it hard to cover the entire costs of attending Seton Hall University for lower to middle income students. Although I had a 3.8 GPA average in high school, I was surprised and am frustrated that I will probably end up taking out $30,000 in loans total after my four years at Seton Hall.

Seton Hall University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.