Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Gabrielle

College is very different from high school. You live in a new place and you have more freedom. If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice, I would tell myself that you have to be your own advocate. There is no one there to make sure you get up and out of bed on time. You have to cook your own meals or make time to eat at the cafeteria, which does not always taste as good as mom's cooking. You have to learn to study without someone telling you to. I would tell myself to start learning good study skills in high school, while I still had time to make mistakes without that big of a consequence. I would also tell myself to really become involved in activities and to go to all of the games. You make a lot of friends this way and sometimes these friends can become your study buddies.

Before going to my current school, I wish I would have known to get really involved at the beginning of school. This is the time when most freshmen meet each other and make friends. I also wish that someone had told me that morning classes are not always the greatest idea. College is not like high school, where your mom wakes you up and pushes you out the door for school. In college you have to get up and out of bed on your own and that is not always easy.

I am lucky eneough to be able to go to my top school. However, my school does have few faults. One of the worst is our meal plan. If a student chooses to live on campus, they are required to purchase a meal plan, which can be pretty pricey. Also, we have to sit down and eat, meaning that we cannot take any food out of the building.

Natalie

Texas Christian University has an excellent, well-known business school and journalism school, however, at the moment we are best known for our football team.

Any student looking to find themselves and what they are capable of are great candidates to attend Texas Christian University. It is a liberal arts college that provides opportunies in any field, giving students the chance to try different courses in which they discover their talents and desires.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself what a financial responsibility college is, especially going to a private university. I did not slack off in high school but if I had of done better academically and done more research I would have had more scholarships available to me. I would not change where I decided to go to college because it is the best decision I have ever made. Not every student finds the college they truly love, and I am exremely lucky to look forward to going to school every day. However, paying for school as an independent frightens me. I wish I had of taken more initiative as a high school student to prepare myself for the amount of money college would empty out of my wallet and I should have wrapped my mind around paying off loans for the next few decades.

Caitlan

My classmates are very participatory, meaning everyone is involved in some kind of activity whether it be social, academic, athletic, community service oriented, etc.

I would definitely advise myself to take dual credit classes NOT AP classes. If you take dual credit classes you automatically get college credit if you pass the class. With AP classes you must make a certain score on the AP test in order to get college credit. I took AP classes and came in with hardly any hours already taken care of. I changed majors, and already having credit for some of the core classes coming into college really would have helped me. Since I only had like one English credit coming in, I will be in school a 5th year simply because I had a year's worth of core classes to get out of the way.

I think any kind of person would love going to this school. It's big enough and sorority/fraternity life is active enough for someone who really wants a social experience. I however didn't join a sorority and am not big on the social events, but still I love the school. It has a great atmosphere and a great location right next to downtown Ft. Worth, so you can always find something to do.

Landon

TCU is a university that provides and excellent experience in every facet of college life, from the dorms, to the football stadium, to the classroom.

With the knowledge I now possess with a semester of college under my belt, I would advise my former self of the time commitment that college requires, and the work load involved. As a high school senior, school came relatively easy for me. The information that would have been most useful to me as a high school senior would have been a warning that college would require hours in the library and advanced preparation for each and every class. If I could go back to mentor my high school self, I would make myself aware of the time investment ahead. Also, I would tell this naive version of myself about the importance of networking and getting to know many people, from peers to professors to other people in administration. College life puts a significant focus on communicating with others and making connections, relevant both now as well as in the future.

Texas Christian University is a beautiful campus, with a great environment and great sense of community. From the design of the campus to the quality of the dorm rooms to the professors in the classroom, TCU has a great feel to it. Every moment I am on this campus, I know I made the right decision on which school to attend because it simply feels like a great place to be. The environment caused by the aforementioned sense of community brings fellow students together, and provides an enjoyable academic and social experience.

My school is very well known for academics. It is very career based and people are willing to try new things. Teachers encourage students to take part in leadership roles and be involved on campus.

TCU?s core values are clearly established; my past experiences reflect the same values, from academic achievements to community service. I was committed to organizations that I represent, and I have held many responsible leadership positions in organizations such as community theatre, charity league, and church choir. I have played small roles, such as taking pictures, and large roles like planning community service projects. I have traveled a lot , and I believed I have a broad perspective that would be particularly beneficial. I?m organized and a good problem solver. I enjoy learning new things and meeting new people. I teach a musical theatre and tap class to kids. I learn a lot from them, and I have learned how to communicate better. If the kids cannot understand me, I must figure out a different approach. I?m very patient, and I have become a good listener. I?m there if someone needs to talk, and I try to help them in any way I can. Looking at all of these traits I wish I had applied them earlier in my college career. I would have also got out o my box way sooner.

Someone who is willing to try new things. They have to be able to think out of the box and try rally hard in school. I also think that they have to willing to be open to different ideas.

Micah

A societal issue that is of significant personal importance to me and that you must be sure to avoid is the uncontrollable need to conform to the stereotypical assumptions with which you are identified. Although some conformity is a necessity in order to preserve unity, diversity should abound in order to provide a segue that allows individuals to break free from the stereotypes that they have been subjected to throughout their lives so that they can become successful in society. Society incessantly suggests that individuals should enter into a constant struggle of conforming to the expectations that society imposes on them. This decision to concede to the perception of society is detrimental to an individual?s integrity and demonstrates a nature that is treacherous and self-rejecting. Being the editor-in-chief of the high school newspaper, diversity is important so that the ideas and talents of different individuals can be acknowledged, represented, and expressed. Each member is encouraged to embrace their unique strengths and operate to their full potential, so that the possibilities are not left undiscovered but are utilized to their full extent.

I believe that the welcoming atmosphere found throughout the TCU campus is the best thing about my school. It gives the students a sense of belonging and allows them to feel more comfortable around others. All of the students are very kind and compassionate and their friendly personalities is a comforting fact about TCU.

I wish that I would have known how difficult the transition is from high school into college. I understood that it would be hard to be away from my family and my home, but I wish I would have known the extent of these difficulties. It takes to time to get acclimated to being away from the people that have been there for you for 18 years of your life, and I believe everyone should know and be prepared for the feelings that accompany leaving home.

Texas Christian University is a school that is filled with people who want nothing more than to make the world a better place, and is able to provide the tools and teachings that students need to grow and prosper.

I tell my friends that TCU is more than a school, it is a community of students and teachers working together. There's never someone not willing to help. The campus is beautiful, and in an amazing city. The school always has activities and programs to participate in so there's never a dull moment.

Knowing what I know about college, I would tell myself not to panic. When I got to TCU, I drew into myself. I was in a different place, away from all the people and things that I knew, and I didn't know what to do. I would tell myself to not be afraid of speaking to people in classes, of hanging with the people I met at Freshman Camp. I would tel myself to not worry about everything, about doing well in class, making friends, meeting people, being away from home, because everything turned out alright in the end.

Terral

Keep true to yourself. It's probably the most important thing I have learned in college. There are so many pressures to be different, to give into things and people you know you shouldn't. Trust your gut, rely heavily on your morals. The only way to find true happiness is to be yourself, believe what you feel is right, good and cherishable. No one should make you feel less. You will experience things you have never before had to deal with, so prepare yourself. Set your boundaries, set goals for which you hope to obtain in college. Get involved in as much as you can. This is where you find quality people and quality relationships. Become involved in student governement, in social activities, in advertising and public relations groups. Do as much as you can without getting overwhelmed. Study when you have free time, not the day before the exam. But most of all be who you are. You are one of a kind. Why not act like it?

I wish I had remembered that personal responsibility is everything. I lost that first semester in college. You have to remember who you are as a person, and who you want to be; you have to be true to yourself, to your morals. Also, time management is key. You have to prioritize your assignments, and make sure to plan way ahead for them. I figured out it takes the burden off when you do the assignment right when it's assigned, instead of procrastinating until the last minute.

The work load is crazy. Some of the professors believe their class is the only one we are taking at this time. They forget we have other responsibilities and other classes to keep up with. Other than that, I love my school, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else! GO TCU!

Victoria

A person who is willing to work hard for their future, no matter what they aspire to be - or even if they do not know yet - should come here. A TCU education is highly respected in any field. The student body is diverse, but almost everyone I know is ready to learn so that they may have a bright and successful future. If a person is looking for an excellent education, a beautiful atmosphere, great teachers and friends, and like the color purple, TCU is the perfect place!

TCU is the most beautiful campus I have seen. The buildings have all recently been remodeled and there are always flowers everywhere. The classes are intimate, so I do not feel hesitation to ask questions or befriend my classmates. The professors are all very compassionate about their students and what they do. I have always received warm welcomes at any function - the students here are very friendly and are always willing to lend a helping hand if you need it.

Were I able to give myself advice as a high school senior, I would encourage participation in various clubs or organizations. I would tell myself that joining a sorority would be greatly beneficial to me, as I would learn more respect for tradition, make lifelong friends, and participate in inspiring philanthropies and community service. These things would make me feel like I had made a difference, no matter how small the impact might be. Study, study, study, I would say. Never having to study before coming to TCU, learning to study - and study effectively! - was more difficult than I imagined. Also, I would encourage to be more outgoing! I came to TCU knowing not a soul, but joining the Sigma Kappa sorority and spending a lot of time with my roommate has increased my social side. With this advice, I surely would not have been so hesitant and introverted as the beginning of the year. I am much happier now that I have had this experience!

Caitlin

Texas Christian University is a four-year liberal arts school like many other universities, but it's unique in it's focus on each individual student and the up-to-date facilities that can be accessed by everyone- I feel like TCU helps me as an individual to excel and pursue my areas of interest.

Don't sweat the small stuff. As cliche as that phrase is, when selecting and preparing for college it rings true. There are thousands of colleges in the US and beyond, and you would probably love and excel in a large number of them, so visit campuses that sound like a good fit. Don't choose a school based on the prestige of a name- choose your school for you. What feels right? Where do you see people you could imagine being friends with? College is a great time in your life so pursue what you're interested in and don't be afraid to major in something that is deemed "unmarketable" as a career- you'll do what you love and it will enable you to find a career you love. Don't be afraid to be unique and to get your voice heard and make sure you are inspired every day by what you do.

The worst thing about my school would be the price. TCU is a private university and therefore is very costly, making it difficult for many to be able to attend. They do balance the cost out by offering many financial-need based and academic-based scholarships which have allowed me to attend.

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.