Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Hailey

Two things I consider to be bad about this university is the price of tuition (and it being raised). My family can't afford it and I may have to withdraw from the only the school that made me embrace who I really am and grow into myself. The other bad thing about this univeristy is the lack of diversity. There are many international students, but I mainly only see people of my race out and about. I would love to meet more people with diverse backgrounds.

The best thing at this university is the academics. It's tough coming from a fairly easy high school, but I learn new things everyday, am challenged in every classroom to think critically. Outside of the classroom I've learned just as much, if not more. Living not only on your own, but with someone you've just met, is extremely difficult. I learned quickly how to work with other people around me, and I've learned how to manage time efficiently. I've learned to become a responsible adult in just one semester.

Although there seems to be no way to really prepare oneself for college, the advice I would give myself as a senior in highschool would be to challenge myself. I always took the easier route, thinking, "It's my senior year, I don't really want to work hard, and shouldn't have to." Senior year was always about doing what had to be done to graduate and get it over with. I never would have thought how that lazy behavior would affect me in college. I definitely would have told myself to take those Dual Credit classes, even if the credits didn't transfer, just so I could better prepare myself for incredibly hard college classes. Looking back, I don't necessarily regret my decisions in high school. I'm attending the university of my dreams and kept up a decent GPA despite the rough transition. I suppose if I could only say one those to my high school senior self, it would be, "Don't worry. You're going to do just fine."

Shelby

You are beyond capable. You have endless potential, it is only a matter of harnessing that potential. While academics come easily to you right now, use this time to start brushing up on your study techniques because you cannot underestimate how grueling your first semester will be if you do not. Also, do not worry yourself about fitting in. You will have countless opportunities to make friends and find your place. You have to remember that almost everyone else in your class feels the same way. Really try to focus on finding who you are as a person. This is the first time you've been out on your own and there is truly no better time to learn how you function by yourself, especially under stress. This way, you can start finding ways to constructively handle that stress before you are immersed in the adult world and really on your own. Just remember, you are capable of overcoming whatever comes your way.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity. It has all the right tools to culture a transitioning adult, but does not offer the cultural variety needed to trully develop someone as an accepting and progressive adult.

A person who wants academic rigor should attend Texas Christian University. My school also prides itself on professional development and networking so any student who is looking for hands on education should come to TCU.

Tammy

This place is A SCAM!!!! Do NOT go there. It's built around luring students in with a falsifying website and promotionals which make it better than it is. You go there, your GPA could possibly drop PURPOSEFULLY, which they are doing to falsely in-flate their rankings (why have they climbed up so quickly?), with bad teachers, textbooks which don't match with schoolwork, pop quizes w/o adequate lecturing.. and did I mention, their financial department uses MANUAL machines to count your finances? They will ONLY refund you in $20 bills, instead of $100s, so I think they ripped off $100 from the $1000 I was supposed to get by counting it wrong. Then they say they have no $100s, then they make it EXTREMELY difficult to get back your refunds, from say, a scholarship, by only giving you $100 PER DAY. THEN their bookSTORE seems larger than their library, which is only 3 stories. THEN their Spanish "book" is $157 for like some skinny thing which doesn't even follow the class, and they don't use it really or give out homework (there's no homework in ANY of their classes, btw, just POP quizes and Q&As where you learn WRONG answers from other stuents)... then one prof actually SCARED one student and like every day asked if they thought they were scared. They DON"T want to give you your money, but TAKE everything you have for lousy curriculum, horrible professors who don't even teach, horrible textbooks (or lack of them in some classes - then the prof will tell you to write terms down and learn them, but doesn't even explain them or give textbooks which define them).. students there have LOW GPAS there, ON PURPOSE, to falsely in-flate their rankings.. then let me tell you a secret, if you go to their counseling office, WATCH OUT. Only an insider could tell you this, you could get sent to a mental hospital. Odd? It is, I was told honor students, perfectionists ect had been sent to a place for a min of 7 days, and not allowed on campus/go to class unless they do it, then they go back to class, can't keep up, then eventually go home. Their GPAs are TANKED, PURPOSEFULLY. Scary nightmare? You bet it is. Especially if you go there on their GPA scholarships, which are the only scholarships they offer (no fin need ones), so you cannot afford it anymore. Then that sinks into a financial hole anymore. I've been to other universities/colleges before, the textbooks, materials are the same or even better, the place is a scam, and really, be careful, especially about your GPA and that counseling center, and also the financial services department. It's a lie.. also, there's almost no club activities on campus, although their website claims there are 140 clubs, their GK almost disbanded for 4 years, e.g., and there is no Associate Students or any class elections. Also, there's really no system to help students' GPAs with tutoring, resource centers, ect. They claim at orientation there is some, but there really isn't, and they want you to pay for it. It's all a business and a little scary considering how people get scammed. Watch out for that place.

Snobby, clone-like, materialistic, racist, sexist, don't like dissenters or people who think out of the box... put people down frequently, non-cooperative... I'd say, yes, and in ways you don't expect. Like they won't say it to your face they are, they just do it passive-aggressively. But it could also be the area, as well. I don't think this is new at all.

Sororities and Frats, and people who worship the school and everything about it. The ones who conform, rather than question or speak up about things. The ones who don't innovate. Aka group think. Obviously, since the clubs and associated students don't seem to really exist or have much activity. The latter I think was never even publicized.

They look similar mostly.. and unfortunately, have bought into the scam. They don't question professors, the school's process, or anything around them. They do as they are told and don't think for themselves.

Lousy and falsely inflated... I could get same textbooks at other places and better professors

Kendall

TCU is best known for winning the Rose Bowl in 2011, and also its strange mascot. A few media blowouts have also given TCU a not-so-fantastic reputation for drug problems, a facet of the school that is easily avoidable and forgotten. As an insider, TCU has an excellent reputation for its near ivy league academics, highly competitive acceptance rate, and top ranking business and nursing schools.

TCU is an incredibly open, accepting, and affirmining university. The Horned Frog community is very inviting to all types of people, including all genders, races, creeds, orientations, and types. This school fosters a union of the student body within itself and also its adminstration and educators. The overall vibe is a perfect balance of relaxed and upbeat. There is never much drama or he said, she said. I have found the community to be full of love and drive.

I was never a party person in high school. I was the student who would study through the night for the peace of mind to sleep with assurance and confidence for any upcoming tests or quizzes. Now, as a college student, I would tell myself as a senior in high school to value the remaining time with those dear hometown friends, the ones who, like you, will travel to new places, meet new kinds of people, and grow physically, spiritually, and emotionally in a place different from you. You will long for those easy nights of stargazing in a quiet field with those you love dearly, you will miss the friends who, with spontaneous and excited hearts, you grew so close to. However, just as much as you will miss them, know that you will make equally important and substantial new relationships that will open the horizons of your own world. To myself I would say, prepare to love; to know the love that you already have, to make new love, and most importantly, prepare to love yourself. For the first time, you will begin to recognize and shape the person you truly are; love that person.

Gabrielle

The small school size, it is not a big school but there is enough people so there is diversity with the feel of a smalll school. The professors care about the students and it is a one on one learning experience. There are tons of ways to get involved on cammpus and become a better leader through the leadership program. It is a christian school so the religious presecene is nice as well.

First important thing I would advise myself is to form good study habits. College is completely different than high school, there are a only a couple of classes a day and there seems to be alot of freetime. However the freetime is suppossed to be used for studying, if the class is worth three credits there should be dedicated three hours of studying for that class a day. It can be a rude awaking if you didn't really have to study in high school, so to ease the transition gain good study habits early. Apply to schools early as possible, it opens up more doors for scholarships. I made the mistake of waiting to apply to some schools and missed out on the date to receive scholarships. It's really hard to earn scholarships outside the school so apply early. Lastly, don't be afraid to try new things. College is about discovering who you are and what you want to do. I found out many new things that I loved like just by going out and trying a club or a class I was interested in taking. College is a great opportunity to learn and recieve new opportunities.

More and more students are being accepted and there isn't enough room. It's difficult to get a scholarship if you didn't get one coming in

valerie

TCU is probably best known for the school spirit on and off campus. If you say you're a graduate from TCU at a job interview or something, people are very proud to say they went there also.

Well first off I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships I could and just to be more proactive than I actually was. I would also tell myself that, TCU is an amazing school and I should've picked it a lot sooner than I did. I'd also say that I shouldn't be scared about being somewhere where I know no one at all, it's not as bad as it seemed at the time. I would also tell myself that going to school at TCU is the next chapter in my book and after I graduate from here, my education will allow me to make the right desicions that are the best for my future.

The at home atmosphere TCU provides. It's a small private school but it's not too small. Everyone is super friendly and they make you want to help others.

Violet

First of all, I don't fall under the TCU stereotypes, which means I'm not white, not rich and not a part of a sorority, and I'm non-religious. I'm at TCU on scholarship and I love my experience so far. TCU size is small enough so the professor would know your name, so you can come by their offices chat chit, and receive personal advices. It's big enough so you meet new people everyday and don't have to worry about the whole school gossiping behind your back. TCU cares about the community. Check out our flashmob video to support the breast cancer foundation, with 1500 people dancing in the 105-degree summer day. We have LEAPS, a day that the whole campus would go out to the Fort Worth area and do community services. There are countless opportunities to give back to the community. Additionally, TCU always has things going on everyday. Yes, every SINGLE day - I mean it. You DO NOT have to be a part of a greek organization to make friends. The school pride is huge, on game day everyone wear purple and we get discounts at restaurants off campus if we wear purple on Friday. I found my place at TCU, and I hope you can too!

What do students complain about most?

Food: the Market square has repetitive food, but you can get creative with it Parking: Chancellor Boschini "We don't have a parking problem, we just have a walking problem" ->Yep some parking lots are faraway, but most are less than 7 minute walks, plus we have shuttles

Be prepared! Classes are FREAKING hard. I know people who are 4.0 in high school and are struggling. But it's make you better so it's good.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sport is a big part of TCU, especially football and sometimes basketball, baseball

Most of the students at TCU are white, but there is diversity. My Frog Camp has people that literally come from ALL around the world, which is pretty amazing. TCU has a lot of clubs, organizations from everything you can think of, from academic to any kind of interests (yes, we have Quidditch club with serious practices few times a week). There are a lot of religious people at TCU, but there is a place for everyone here.

Tell us about your professors.

I LOVE MY PROFESSORS. If you want to get to know them, you will. They are down-to-earth, funny and will give you advice on literally everything.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I live in Milton Daniel and it's the best place to study, it's quite and people are studious. I think most halls have study lounges too. I sometimes go to the library, the quite section, to study if I need extra focus on homework or study for test. Other places that I sometimes go to: the conference rooms, study rooms in the business school, study rooms in Scharbauer.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Psychology, Astronomy, double-dipped classes

Greek organizations, religious organizations, theCrew, sports.

When you step off campus what do you see?

CONSTRUCTIONS. As said by an upperclassman "Fort Worth is permanently under constructions", which makes sense because Fort Worth is definitely growing. Other than that, there are few good restaurants too.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I came here mainly for the money, but I'm HAPPY that I'm here now. I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

What's the Greek scene like?

Greek organization is BIG at TCU. They do a lot of philanthropy events as well as party.

Describe the dorms.

The resident halls are ok, there are rooms that are huge but there are somes that are tiny. But that's college, don't expect to have a huge room like the one at home. Most of the halls have suite-style room, which means you share the bathroom/restroom with your suite mates and roommate. Some other, like Milton Daniel, has community bathroom (the best part is: the housekeepers come in and clean it everyday). Most rooms have sink inside so it's pretty convenient. Overall I have not heard any complaints about rooms or resident halls, except when it's too faraway (Brachman)

TCU has a beautiful campus, especially the common!

What are your classes like?

Classes are hard. A lot of reading. But it makes you better so it's good!

YES, TCU has a lot of white, frats people. But so what? They are nice, friendly and very involved. Of course there are certain people may not live the way you do, that doesn't mean everyone is like that. I have friends in sororities and they are absolutely wonderful people.

Karina

If there is anything that is even slightly bad here at TCU, that would be the Greek Life. The statistics that show who is in Greek Life and who is not show that the majority are. As a girl it's not that big of a deal, we make friends with all kinds of other girls whether they're in a soroity or not. But for guys, if you're not in a fraternity it can be a little difficult to get involved.

If I could go back to high school I would tell myself, "Going far aways isn't as scary as it seems right now." I live in New Jersey, and before this year I was a nutrition major, so there aren't a lot of schools with the option of being a certified dietician at the end of your four years, after touring around ten schools, Texas Christian University shined above the rest. So I committed to TCU, almost immediately after committing I was scared more than overjoyed about my decision. All of a sudden in three months I was moving over a thousand miles away from my friends and family. My parents tried to tell me that it wasn't a big deal, but nothing was coping me of my fear. So the time came and I went to school terrified of losing everyone that I love. But when I got here, I developed new friendships, and my ones from home were a FaceTime call away. My family has a group text that keeps everyone posted about our days, and we occasionally call one another just to talk. Moving away turned out to be a blessing, not a burdern.

Someone who doesn't want a family-like community, even after a few weeks here TCU provided a family for us to join. TCU also provides that big school feel with only a small school classroom, so if you want a big school, TCU might not be the place for you.

Jordyn

TCU is the best place on earth, they have everything you need.

TCU is the best place on earth, they have everything you need.

I would tell myself to spend more time at home with my family. I love TCU and it is a great place but I do get homesick. I miss my mom and dad, my room, my bathroom, privacy, knowing the area I live in and being comfortable. I would tell myself to appreciate everything my parents do for me because soon you will have to do everything on your own. I

I wish I would have known that lots of people go greek. Also that a lot of the girls are very similar with their style, personality, and likes. The boys are typically fratty. Basically there is not much diversity in the university, however mostly everyone is friendly!

Courtney

Dear age 17 Courtney, as you start your senior year, work your absolutle hardest on everything. Don't blow off team practices, term papers, friends, or school events just because you are a 'senior' and you are too 'cool' for those things. In a year, you will miss many things about high school. Work as hard as you can, and never give up on your dreams. When situations get tough, stick it out and hold on until you are able to grasp success. Please, Courtney, work hard and appreciate everything, because before you know it, it will all be over. Love, Age 18 Courtney

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.