Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Christian University

Christopher

"Ryan, Ryan...pay attention" I would say. I would take whatever book I was reading in the back of the classroom and tell myself to pay attention. I didnt understand math, I was too smart for literature classes, and all of my foreign language teachers had emotional problems. I would tell myself to straighten up and to take all AP classes, take as many math and science classes as possible and prepare yourself for the future instead of day dreaming about it.

it is treating me better the second time than it did the first time.

Mackenzie

TCU really engages their students. It fosters a community that continually grows. TCU offers many programs and events on a weekly basis that are fun and provide a break from studies. It also has this great sense of school pride as evidenced by their facilities, staff, and even cafeteria workers.

Entering college is one of the greatest opportunities you will ever have in life. It is important to adequately prepare for the next four years to the best of your ability. To begin, remember you are going to college to get an education. Contrary to the movies, college is not just a big party. You and your parents will be paying large sums of money to attend this school. Although there are times to make friends and be social, your priority is learning. Remember, you get out of college what you put into it so be prepared to work hard. Approach classes with the attitude that you are interested in the topic even if you aren't. Trust me, it makes the class go by much more smoothly and often you will get a better grade. Although I am centering on academics, it is equally important to find a supportive friend group. I encourage you to create community within your dorm. Find a close group of friends and stick with them. Be open and willing to try new things, even if you don't really want to. At college you have a new slate, so make the most of it!

The best thing about TCU is the people. Everyone here is friendly and wants people around them to succeed. I don't encounter demeaning peers, teachers, or coaches. I believe that people here are genuinely rooting for each other in life. It fosters this awesome positive environment that cannot be shaken.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to focus only on school, apply to many scholarships, and be sure what path I want for the future. First, I would tell myself to focus only in school. I would tell me to work harder to get all A’s, bring up my GPA, and score higher on the SAT and ACT. I would also suggest to myself to get involve in an extracurricular activity like a club, community service, maybe a sport. The reason behind all of this: scholarships. I would also tell myself to apply for scholarships. College is expensive and unless one is rich, it’s going to hurt someone’s pocket. Tuition, books, materials, and travel expenses are high even if it is a community college. Finally, I would tell myself to be sure what it is I want to study. Knowing what one wants to do will help reduce the cost of school. For example, one would be sure what classes needs to be taken for a certain degree and won’t waste time and money in an unnecessary class.

Klairissa

My classmates are ambitious, persistent, funny, accepting, polite, dedicated young people who are full of life and able to see their goals and go after them with the support of their classmates, professors, and mentors while balancing school, work, and social life.

Dear high school me.. you are about to start the journey of a lifetime! Here are 5 pieces of advice you HAVE to know before you get to Texas.. 1. Nobody cares who was a cheerleader, prom king, or valedictorian! There are hundreds of them here! You can do whatever you want and be whoever you want, so take advantage of that and don't be intimidated. 2. Find friends who will challenge you. You will want friends who want you to do your best in classes and friends who challenge you to live out your values. 3. Join a sorority! These girls will be your backbone and help you through anything. However, don't chain yourself just to them.. make sure you befriend girls in other sororities. They have different values and this will help you expand your own. 4. Do not be afraid of failing. You are going to fail that first chemistry exam.. it is not the end of the world! Even the smartest people in the world fail. Persevere and know that you can do this! 5. When things get tough..call your mom. She knows best and will calm you down! Sincerely, College You

Blaise

TCU is not a major STEM research center. We do plenty of interesting and important research, but the professors are given a nice blending of this with their teaching. This approach allows the professors to hone their teaching craft, but also continue to prosper in their area of expertise. Another benefit is the potential of undergraduate research, since professors are more geared toward research/teaching balance, they are more willing to guide students in their research endeavors.

At Texas Christian University the professors care about those that care. There have been classes I've struggled with, and I can count on one hand the number of teachers that really stopped and listened, and half of those are at TCU. Another benefit is the smaller class size, the largest class I have attended had roughly thirty students, and many of the junior and senior level classes have fifteen or fewer. This allows your professors to really get to know you, and you them.

Given the opportunity to speak with my much younger self as a high school senior, I would tell him one thing, “Embrace the journey.” Many would wonder why not tell young me about the years of bad jobs, successes, heart breaks, and failures? Wouldn’t you like to save yourself all that time and fast forward? And I would say no. Though I now attend Texas Christian University, I have masters from the School of Life with a specialization in Hard-Knocks. It is not a class one attends, it is on the job training at its fullest. Young me has already begun working toward his black belt in the martial art of Tong IL Lo, and sees himself becoming a great master instructor one day. But I know what challenges he is going to face, how those change him, and where they lead him. I remember him chasing the wind. The hindsight I have allows for a different perspective young me has not earned the right to know, and will not some time. So still you ask, why not save the young one from such a hard lesson? Simple, spare him the lesson, and we never meet our wife.

Racquel

My classmates at TCU are very friendly, focused, and all talented and passionate in their own areas of interest.

Dear you, These past four years have definitely been a journey, and the path will continue after you cross the stage. Congratulations on your achievement, scholarships, and recognitions. However, this is just the beginning! As you prepare for college, understand that reaching for your dreams, and working towards success doesn't just stop because you've made it to college. It begins once you enter! College will be the most fulfilling opportunity of your life, not just because of the higher education that you will gain, but for the friends, experiences, interests, and passions you will receive on the way. The transition going into college will be different from anything you've experienced before because college is different from anything you've experienced before. You'll learn new things, what career interests and makes you happy, and most of all: you will discover your true self! Promise that you will allow yourself to experience all of it. It will be so worth it! Stay focused, be persistent and bold, laugh a lot, be open, make connections that will last a lifetime, and spend every second making the value of this educational experience priceless! -The Future

The best thing about TCU is that even though academics are taken seriously, there are so many opportunities to be involved on campus, contribute to the community, and be involved in organizations and interests that keep a balance in college life.

There are several different organization on TCU's campus, just like any other campus, but I think TCU has some pretty unique organizations. Student Foundation is an organization that I am a part of here at TCU. I had to apply and then go through an interview process to become a member of Student Foundation. This organization is a group of students from all classes, who give tours to perspective students and families, work at alumni events, and call our donors to thank them for their generous donations! The members of Student Foundation do all of this for free! This is a completely volunteer-based organization, which is totally different from most schools. Most tour guides at other colleges are paid students who do it to get money. The members of Student Foundation give tours because we love TCU and we want to brag to others about it!! If students are in their rooms, then they leave their doors open for the most part. A lot of the time students hang out in the game room, movie room, or living rooms of their dorms though, so that isn't really a need to keep your door open if everyone is hanging out in the same place anyway. Athletic events are extremely popular at TCU! Students get in free to all athletic events - all you have to do is swipe your student ID. There are always promotions going on as well to draw more students in - free food, t-shirts, cups, etc. The most popular would obvious be football, followed by baseball and men's basketball! TCU has several annual traditions including the Christmas tree lighting ceremony and the concert. Each ear the TCU student government (SGA) hosts a concert for TCU students. It's free for all students with the swipe of their student ID, and each student is allowed to bring 1 friend for free! This past year we hosted The Fray, last year we hosted Lady Antebellum, and the year before that we hosted OneRepublic!

Most people associate TCU students with being fratty, rich, proper Christians, and friendly. All of these characteristics do have some truth to them in regards to TCU students. About 43% of the student population at TCU is Greek - this includes Panhellenic, IFC, multicultural, and faith based fraternities and sororities. That's almost half of the student body; therefore several TCU events are put on by fraternities and sororities, but hardly any of these events are exclusive to the Greek community. In fact, the Greek community encourages non-Greek students to participate in philanthropy events, tailgates, and other activities to integrate the TCU community. As far was being rich goes...yes, TCU is a private institution, which means that the tuition is significantly greater than the majority of universities in the United States. This does not mean that every student at TCU comes from wealthy parents or a rich background. TCU offers numerous scholarships to students, and would NEVER turn a student away due to a financial situation. If there's a will, there's a way, is what the TCU administration says. There are several students at TCU who do come from wealthier families, but by no means does this mean that these students are snobbish or look down upon those who are not. Yes, TCU is a Christian university (Texas CHRISTIAN University), but this doesn't not mean that only Christians attend this school. The majority of the student body is Christian, but of different denominations. We do celebrate and observe several Christian holidays. We have a Christmas tree lightning ceremony every year in December, we celebrate Mardi Gras, and we have Good Friday off from school. There is no chapel or mass requirement though because we are associated with the Disciple of Christ Church, but not governed by them. Lastly, TCU students are extremely friendly!! Everyone says hi to one another, is polite, and respects one another. Several of the tables in our main dining hall are long tables to promote community and friendliness!

The best thing about TCU is the sense of community you feel as soon as you step on campus. For me, I knew TCU was home the first time I stepped on campus. One thing I would change about TCU is the emphasis placed on Greek life, but not the pride that members of fraternity and sorority life have. TCU is the perfect size; nothing is too far away that you can't walk there in ten minutes and it's the perfect size for getting to know many people on campus during your stay. For me, people react with a sense of awe and amazement when I tell them I go to TCU. It's obviously no Harvard or Yale, but attending TCU is a prestigious and honorable thing and it's a big deal to tell people you attend TCU. I love that Fort Worth is more than just the university. You will never run out of things to do. The school's administration is one of my favorite aspects of the school. Chancellor Boschini is one of the nicest people I've met, and the rest of the staff is personable and friendly, as well as easy to approach. The most recent controversy on campus is obviously the drug bust, but this controversy brought us together as a campus and the situation was handled in the best way possible. There is so much school pride; we are essentially a family of horned frogs. There is so much unity, whether it be at the tailgates before the baseball game, sitting in the audience of the dance concert, or cheering on Casey Pachall as he throws the game-winning touchdown versus Boise State. The most unusual thing about TCU is probably the fact that there is really no division between any two groups. Seniors are friends with freshman, football players are friends with band kids, frat guys are friends with non-affiliated members. One experience I will never forget is my very first TCU football game. Walking into Amon G. Carter Stadium and seeing the sea of purple fans, all united to cheer for the same cause was one of the most breathtaking experiences of my life. We are horned frogs, we are family. We love TCU. The most frequent student complaint would be the constant construction or the lack of parking. Obviously, there's not much to complain about at TCU. My overall opinion of TCU is that it is such a fine institution. I am so proud to attend school here. I can't say it's perfect for everyone, but there are so many reasons to love it and I don't see how you can't find at least one thing you adore.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I grew up around TCU and always loved it and dreamed of going there, but knew that without scholarship, tuition would be financially hard on my family. I knew that when I stepped on campus, I would find a way to call it home. I was offered a rather large scholarship and knew that TCU was the school for me. TCU is so generous when it comes to financial aid that it's hard to turn it down.

Greek life dominates TCU. Most students are a member of some kind of fraternity or sorority. I, myself, am a member of a sorority, and I love it! We do all kinds of fun events, as well as community service with our philanthropy. My dorm has a very communal feel and I feel like we're all good friends. Athletic events are VERY popular. Most people attend our football games and baseball games, especially. I met my closest friends from my dorm and my sorority, and if I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'm probably studying with them. People party every weekend, and if you're into that kind of thing, you'll always be able to find a party. If you're not, into that, there's plenty of things to do. You can go to the rodeo or to Billy Bob's, the world's largest Honky Tonk!

The students at my school are, bluntly put, white, well-off, intelligent students. There are some common misconceptions about TCU, like the fact that our mommys and daddys pay for everything, but the majority of students here are on scholarship. Most students are conservative and involved in a Greek organization. A student who wasn't comfortable associating with these kind of people would definitely feel out of place. The boys are fratty and they dress the part. The girls are typical sorority girls and wear large t-shirts and Nike shorts to class everyday, while managing to look put together. The dining hall is very segregated, with each table designated for a different fraternity and the girls they are friends with. Most of the students are either from Texas or California, and most are financially well-off. Most girls tend to talk about how they will marry into money and most guys aspire to be millionaires.

At TCU, Greek life is very prevalent, so naturally, the stereotype is that all the guys are very fratty and all of the girls can be materialistic. While this is true for some of the people at TCU, there are definitely plenty of down-to-earth students who care about more than their Greek organization. I, myself, am in a Greek organization and have found that most of the people at TCU are genuine people. TCU has also been featured heavily in the news lately, and I think that is important to remember that the news highlights an extremely small percentage of students and that this small percentage should not represent the entire school

Alix

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend TCU in Fort Worth, TX because it was the perfect fit. It had a beautiful campus and everything was close in proximity which I liked. The campus and students overall had school pride and were very friendly. The academics are stellar and there are many opportunities to get involved in extracurriculars as well. Also, TCU gives financial aid to many of their students and that extra money was a huge draw to the school. Finally, TCU has good NCAA Division I sports so the games are always fun to go to, especially because all home games are free for all students and there's usually giveaways and free stuff, which is awesome!

I have had many experiences with diverse groups of people. They are all excited to be a part of the TCU Horned Frog community and they are all friendly and overall good people. I don't really think any student would feel out of place at TCU because there's something for everybody. Most students wear comfortable clothes to classes. Most of the students at TCU are from Texas, but there are also a lot from out of state and out of the country. It's cool meeting people from different places. I would say that most students come from at least middle class families or a more wealthier background, but there are many students who come from not so well off families and are only at TCU on scholarship and other financial aid.

The academics here are awesome. I earned a 4.0 in my classes my first semester of college and some credit is due to those professors who taught well and were willing to help. All professors have office hours so if you're struggling you can visit with them and they really help because they can talk to you one on one and break it down for you. Classes are a good size. My smallest class has been one of about 20 and my largest class has been one of 110. Students take school pretty seriously and they are studying in their rooms, the hallways, the dorm lobby, and of course the library. The school really focuses on getting students prepared for the work and the real world after graduation. It's a great academic fit and there are a lot of cool classes available to take.

Texas Christian University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.