Tulsa, OK
University of Tulsa

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Tulsa

april

Small and academically focused with a wide range of international students.

Small and academically focused with a wide range of international students.

Personally, if I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to live on campus. I have found it quite difficult to live off campus because it makes it hard to work on group projects and has also effected my social life. If I started my college career living on campus then I would have been able to focus better as well as be readily available for study sessions and group projects. Also, it would have been easier to make friends. Also, it would make the transition less difficult on my family. Currently I am struggling with finding the courage to inform my parents that I would like to live on campus for the reasons listed. However, if I chose to do it my first year, it would not come across as offensive to them and they would be more understanding.

Someone who is looking for a large school and who wants an easy course load.

JENNIE

You listen to me, and you listen to me good! Do not. I REPEAT. Do not let others influence you. You know you have homework to finish, a test to study for, a book to read, and/or a paper to write. Don’t let your friends talk you into going out and not studying for your test. Don’t let your boyfriend sweet-talk you out of doing homework. Don’t let your family distract you from writing your paper. I know that smart little brain of yours is yelling at you to tell them NO. There will be plenty of other times to have fun with your friends, boyfriend, and family. It may be hard to say no to them now, but it’ll be harder on you when you see your grades at the end of the semester. Listen to me on this. I’m older and wiser now, so just listen to me and you’ll thank me later.

PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING FULL-TIME DURING THE DAY TIME. UNIVERSITY OF TULSA IS A VERY TRADITIONAL SCHOOL AND MOSTLY ONLY OFFER CLASSES DURING THE DAY.

Marcus

As a transfer student from the U.S. Air Force Academy, the University of Tulsa will be a fantastic change; almost one extreme to the other. From the stoic and powerful nature of military life to the serenity and uniqueness of a liberal arts school, life brings me to yet another exciting adventure. The University of Tulsa offers the prestige and content of an Ivy League with a home-town college feel, while providing me the perfect opportunity to finish what I started and truly earn my degree in order to pay it forward to the next generation.

As I ponder the subtle nuggets of advice I would relay to my past self, I realize that information abounds. Thoughts flood my mind concerning sleep habits, friendships, self-talk, and free time. First and foremost, the importance of others remains paramount. One cannot succeed on his or her own and must maintain a respect for others. Begin building this habit now as it take a lifetime to master and people will respect you more for it. Secondly, simpletons accumulate knowledge and regurgitate information while scholars gather knowledge, analyze it, and use it to obtain wisdom through experience. Do not allow yourself to become lazy and seek amusement when so much of the world stagnates due to lack of discovery. Finally, actively participate in beneficial hobbies, activities, and social circles. Those one surrounds himself or herself with offer the most influence; either positive or negative. Choose the healthy friends and activities and watch how incredible life becomes. Time one spends earning his or her degree can be a rewardingly fun opportunity. Nonetheless, remember the importance of the active verb "earn." Much of the world assigns an inappropriate and unneeded stigma to the "college experience." Have fun, but earn your future.

As I am a transfer student for the 2015 spring semester, I cannot accurately speak to The University of Tulsa specifically. However, I have accumulated almost 150 credit hours from other accredited institutions and analyze the college experience as a whole. The most governing mantra for me remains: "Get over yourself." The application of this phrase avoids several unfortunate collegiate experiences including irresponsible drinking, arriving late or missing class entirely, forgetting assignments, or uttering the wrong phrase at the wrong time to professors - simply out of naiveté. Respecting others and eliminating selfishness provides the most successful and rewarding college experience.

Zachary

The Small Campus Feel of a Great Private University. The atmosphere at TU is really great, and it's incredibly easy to get involved with campus events.

I would teel myself: "Sleep. Sleep is going to be your most valuable resource for the next few years of your life. You may stay up and have fun now, but you will soon learn the value of sleep. Sleep and studying will be most of your time if you plan to have good grades. Alas, do not despair, although this may sound bleak, you will have fun. You'll make some new friends, and follow your passion. It'll be hard, it'll be tiring, and most of all it'll be fun."

Anyone looking to have fun and learn at the saem time.

Abigail

If I could go back in time and give my high school self advice, I would remind myself that studying is not the end-all, be-all of life. Absolutely, academics are so important and should never be put on the side if a big test or project is approaching. In fact, doing well in school is how I ended up being able to afford college. Studying does not need to be chosen over everything else every time. Give yourself space to hang out with friends and get more involved in community outreach and leadership activities, because relationships with people are much more important than a stellar GPA. It is okay to take a break from trying to exceed every expectation in the classroom and enjoy your life.

Lazy or low-achieving students.

Matthew

My school is best known for the College of Law, for being the best privately funded university education in the State of Oklahoma, and for being a good employer and corporate citizen to the City of Tulsa.

The senior year of high school is generally that "limbo" period, where you realize that you must leave this world behind and yet you are at the "top of the food chain." That generally leads most seniors to fall into a pattern of working and hanging with friends. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken these steps: 1) Once you get accepted, imagine that it is a new job and this is your first day. 2) Learn all about your school, now, while you're still in high school. 3) Keep on looking for any and all outside scholarships. 4) Find out what your basic classes are going to be, buy the books now, read them. 5) Get your friends engaged in your new adventure (even if they're going to different schools, they're still your support now). These few steps will get you mentally prepared for the transition into academia. You need to do all that you can so that you avoid that "shock" factor the first day you set foot on campus as an incoming Freshman.

I wish I had known more about the history of the school and the additional opportunities it offered by way of extra-curricular activities.

Katherine

Dear Katie, I know you're really stressed out right now. College is a big step! But don't get too caught up worrying about whether you’ll make friends or whether you're going to do well in your classes. Just enjoy this step of your life. You know you’ve worked hard to get to where you are and no matter what you’re going to continue to work your hardest to get to wherever life takes you. Roll with the punches. You are going to get a few crummy teachers, you might fail a test, and while you'll make some new friends you'll lose others. But those things don’t define this time in your life; don't focus on them. College is a vital time in your life for you to find who you are. You'll meet the most interesting people, try tons of new things, and you may even step into a class one day and realize you've found something you'd be happy doing for the rest of your life. Look forward to it. Change your major if you must. Most of all, keep an open mind. Best regards, Katie

If one wants to attend TU, they must be prepared to work hard! TU is pretty selective, and teachers are expecting students with a strong work ethic and dedication. One attending TU should also be ready to get involved and be social. Because courses are so rigorous, it helps to have some friends in class as well as some friends to relax with when finals are over! One also shouldn't attend TU if they're not open-minded to diversity. Nearly a third of the student population consists of international students.

This school has many wonderful things to offer. The campus is beautiful, the students are friendly and social, and the classes are engaging. There is plenty to do on campus, from clubs to religious affiliations to gym classes. There is also a lot of diversity on campus-- 32% of students are international students! And I love the town it's in. Tulsa is just the right size town. It has big city perks like malls, concerts, and a budding downtown, but a small town feel in its farmers markets and coffee shops.

The majority of my classmates are kind, intelligent, and driven individuals who are striving to do the best they can in their classes in order to prepare themselves for their future careers.

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, first and foremost I would tell myself to enjoy my freshman year of college because it goes by so fast. I would say that I shouldn't be afraid to try new things and talk to new people because part of the fun of college is making friends, discovering who you are, and becoming a well rounded individual. I would say participate in that dance competition and play on that intramural volleyball team, even though you have are terrible at it and it might be embarrassing, because those are the memories about college that you will hold onto for the rest of your life. You will remember that time you got hit in the face with the volleyball and your friends laughed with you about how uncoordinated you were, but you won't remember the hours spent studying for your economics test. Not to say that academics aren't important, because they are. You go to college to learn and to prepare yourself for a career you'll hopefully love, but it's ok to reward yourself with a little fun once in a while too.

I wish I would have known more about time management, how to study efficiently, and outside scholarships.

Shawnee

At the University of Tulsa education and good grades are constantly emphasized, you will have support finding career oppurtunities even after graduating, and even if you are taking a more intense major you can rest assured that the professors will be supportive and the classes small enough to have as much help as possible, all while having a great college experiance and many oppurtunities to take part in fun campus festivities.

Every year that we have to learn and grow, we realize that we know so much more than we did in the previous year of our life. As a senior in high school, I assumed that I knew everything I needed to know about college and finances, unaware that I knew very little. If I could go back in time I would definately put an emphasis on getting a job as soon as possible when you are old enough and saving every penny for your education. I would definately make myself make a payment plan in advance and know just how much aid versus finances needed I had. I would also make sure to let myself know that college is completely different than high school. You have to study and spend a certain amount of hours out of the week doing so in order to maintain high grades. Most classes have nothing but lectures, and in order to pass you only have a few chances throughout the year to turn in work. Therefore, in college you must really have a good start and be prepared.

I feel that at The University of Tulsa, anyone can find their place whether they are more used to city life or laid back country living, whether they like large or small classroom settings, and no matter how they learn, because Tulsa and the university campus offers a variety of a little bit of everything plus classes that are not too big or too small.

Dexter

I would tell myself to always have the future in mind while making the most out of the present. Have a plan and work towards it. While plans may not always work out, its always good to know what you're working toward. Working hard opens doors and opportunities in the future. I would tell myself how important relationships with other people are. Networking and forming friendships are important aspects of life, and you never know who may be able to help you. Keep true to the Golden Rule and remember to help others when you have the opportunity. Amongst all of this, remember that life is short so make the most out of each day, and enjoy it as you go along.

The diversity of majors. While there is plenty of cultural diversity, the vast majority of students fall into one of several majors. There is a disproportionate amount of certain majors.

The person that is right for this school should be acedemically focused, with the future in mind. Students should be career focused and motivated to go above and beyond in every aspect of their life.

University of Tulsa administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.