Kalamazoo, MI
Western Michigan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Michigan University

Andy

I would change the bad teachers.

I would change the bad teachers.

Professors do not know my name.

I must say that the biggest complaint most students I've heard make, as well as myself, is the cost of books. Not buying back books really makes it worse, too. Especially when the next semester, there are no Used texts for the class. The best thing about WMU on the surface is that it's gorgeous. The campus itself is very pretty, with lots of grass and wonderful places to sit (when it's not winter, of course). I really like the size of the campus, though I haven't had any classes at the College of Human Services or Engineering, or anywhere else, just on the main campus. I like that most of my teachers know me by name, if not at least recognize me, but I don't feel like it's too small by far. One thing that I would change is the requirement of a meal plan for nearly every residence hall. I think that we should be allowed to put money on our cards to eat in the Dining Services, especially since it's not much, if any, cheaper to have a meal plan, especially if you don't eat all of the meals you could. I spend most of the time I'm on campus in the library if I'm not in class. I have decently large breaks between most of my classes, so instead of walking back to my room in between them, I usually go to the library - more specifically the basement. I think they'd sell a lot more of the snacks down there if they weren't so expensive. Maybe they do well as is, but it seems like people get junk out of the vending machine more than they get decent food out of the rotating refrigerated machine.

My experience with religious groups on campus extends to Christian Challenge, which I enjoy. It's very laid back, and takes a digestible approach to walking with God. I don't feel like I'm a terrible person when I go, as I have other times in different places. Most girls seem to wear either trendy clothes - UGG boots, sometimes skirts when its cold, long layered shirts, and leggings, or they wear a variety of things. It seems split nearly evenly in some of my classes, half of the girls are very trendy, and half are everything else. Guys seem to dress in multiple styles, each seeming to conform to their social group. I have seen very few Caucasian males in what is typically considered "ghetto fashion," though I have seen many Caucasian males, as well as African-American males dressed in suits and ties, possibly not of their own accord.

Possibly for the parties. I don't party, so I can't say from experience, but I have seen that the statistics for Western show that it takes the average student here longer to graduate than it does at other universities, possibly from partying, possibly not. I've also heard that the LBGT program here is much better than it is in many other schools, and that actually draws some students to Western.

Some of my professors do know my name, and aside from one class, the smallest room I'm in is packed with 30some people. My favorite classes are my psych classes, it really interests me. I found Abnormal Psych particularly interesting, but not applicable to my hopeful line of work. My least favorite class I took last semester - Methods of Data Collection for Sociology. Possibly it was worse because I had just come from Research Methods for Psychology, which wasn't particularly fun either. I'm not sure how often most students study, but I study nearly every day, weekends being the exception. During the week, I spend a lot of time studying, possibly more so because by the weekend I want a break. Class participation is uncommon in some of my classes. It seems that after the first couple weeks, it is established who will speak up, and after that it's more difficult to start. I feel like I take part in intellectual conversations outside of class. It might be wishful thinking, but I feel like I do. My boyfriend is an International Politics major, as well as Social Psych, and he knows his stuff, and is not afraid to have an opinion. We tend to talk about a lot of the stuff we've been going over in each of our classes, or discuss our feelings on issues covered on The Daily Show and Colbert Report. The psych class I'm in right now (PSY 3600 Malott)is definitely geared toward getting a job if you take the Croyden Practicum. I guess that would make the program geared toward career, rather than the class specifically. A lot of my classes feel like learning for its own sake, but I hope to put that to use in my career. I have never gone to a prof's office hours, as of yet. This is my 4th semester at WMU, and haven't had to meet outside of class, other than to get an email address.

The students in my hall do not leave their doors open. They did more at the beginning of the year, but as time goes on, it seems fewer and fewer doors are open, though many left unlocked and friends just go in. My closest friends I met either by living with, meeting as Bronco Buddies, or by taking the same class and now we're dating. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or at my boyfriend's apartment hanging out, possibly studying over there, or watching the History Channel. Everything I do doesn't involve drinking. I don't drink or party, and though I don't have the most extensive social life, I have multiple friends and I like to spend time with them. Often I just go to my boyfriend's apartment or to my friends' apartments off campus. Other things I seem to repeatedly do include go shopping at Meijer late at night, bowling, watch a movie - Theater, Miller, or rented. When it's nice outside, its awesome to go to East campus and look out over Kalamazoo.

"Wastern", lots of parties, as well as a large "alternative sexuality" population

KennyH

School Size: Not too small, it's a good size but it could also expand. There is school pride present. Student Complaints: rare snow days, not salting/plowing the sidewalks/ bad spending, wasting money. I really like it here

Its very diverse here, i don't think anyone would feel out of place. most studenst wear casual wear.

Not entirely, I'd say we are a typical college environment.

Depends on the class size. My favorite class was World Ecological Problems with Will Reding. It really opened my eyes to whats going on in our environmental world.

I'm involved with the Bronco Marching Band and love it. it really promotes a community/family atmosphere and is fun as well. On saturdays, you can go see a movie, go to the mall, bowling, go downtown, clubbing, drinking, stay in, or participate in a student run activity.

That we're a party school (Wastern)

The best thing for me is the atmosphere in the Marching Band. It is like instantly having 300 friends. The size of the school is perfect for me. On campus I basically live in Schneider, that's where most of my classes are and I sit in the lounge between classes. I think that Kalamazoo is a college town, I live on the 'other side' of town, not near campus. I have seen schools with more school pride than us, but I think that there is school pride here.

Some more than others fall into this category.

Some of my professors know my name, but I don't usually speak out in class so those teachers don't really know me. My favorite classes are ones in my majors; accounting or finance. My least favorite classes are the gen ed classes. I don't see the point. Many classes have students that study in groups outside of class.

I'm involved in the Marching band. I'm part of the colorguard. The 30 or so of us girls are great friends. In the dorms, many students leave their doors open, and people go between the rooms. If I'm awake at 2 am on a tuesday I'm sitting on my couch, watching tv.

That this is a party school and everyone always drinks

Ann

So far my experience at Western has been a good one. My favorite thing has to be all of the people I have met. I have made the most amazing friends and met the greatest people. I love all of the extra activities that Western has to offer. I think Western is just the right size. No where is TOO far to walk. I also love the food places around campus. There is always somewhere to get snacks. The fact that we get into all of the games for free really helps our school pride. I know I'm really proud to be going here.

I have come across many different kinds of people here. Everyone seems to get along. It seems like everyone mingles and mixes together. I have had many conversations about race and other controversial subjects and it seems like everyone I have talked to is really open about it. Most of the students seem to accept everyone how they are. I have also found a mix of financial backgrounds. Most of the students I have talked to are from Michigan but, there are quite a few students that are from all over the place.

I don't think Western is any worse then any other college.

A few of my professors know my name. Mainly in the smaller classes. I have never had a bad experience with a professor. They have always been there to help in any way they could. I tend to have a problem studying but it is my own fault. Sometimes I tend to get caught up in having fun when I should be studying. A lot of my friends do study quite often though. I was just saying how I really loved it here because I can actually have intellectual conversations with other students. I love it. Someone always has something of substance to talk about. So far my classes seem to be more towards learning for learnings sake. But, I still have only taken a few classes toward my major, a lot my my classes have been gen eds. My Major is Education. I have been very happy with my consolers. They are always friendly and ready to help.

I have a friend that is in LGBT and I have heard about a few church groups. I live in Siedschlag and Draper which has many volunteer things going on that I hear about as well. I am in Christian Challenge. We meet on Monday nights. I really enjoy this group. Many students seem to leave there doors open and I love it. I have met many people because of this. The athletic events seem to be very popular. Again, I think letting students in for free is an amazing idea. I also love the theater program. I have gone to a few plays and they were amazing.I met most of my friends just by being friendly around the dorm. Normally at 2 I'm hanging out in the lounge or in a friends room. I don't really go off campus much. When I do I go to meijer.

That we are a huge party school. I've heard our school being called wastern because apparently every always parties here.

Brooke

wmu teaches you to think for yourself. i would update all of the facilities if i could change something. i think wmu is just right; enough faculty and programs to accommodate a lot of students, but small enough to get a lot of one on one help from teachers. a lot of people have considered wmu when suggested. as an art major, i spend a lot of time in the richmond center for the visual arts and the arts wing of kohrman hall. kalamazoo is definitely a college town, with wmu, kalamazoo college, and kvcc all in one area. wmu's administration is very much looking to a bigger future, considering adding a medical school, etc. i don't know of any big controversies on campus recently. there's tons of school pride all over kalamazoo and michigan. wmu came from very conservative roots, but it is now progressing to becoming one of the top four schools in michigan. i'll always remember being in the marching band and playing the first note of the fanfare at pregame in waldo stadium. the most frequent student complaints are about the dorms.

i have a lot of different friends with different backgrounds. i don't know of a student that would feel out of place here. most students wear sweatpants and hoodies to class. all kinds of different students interact. one table is all guys, one table is all girls, one table is a couple, the other table all has accents. most wmu students are from southern michigan, near detroit. most people rely on financial aid, but the ones who have their parents' money are noticed. a select group of students are politically active. i don't know either way. most of my friends are involved in the arts, so monetary things aren't usually in the picture.

yes. my favorite class is photography. my least favorite class is geography. some students study constantly; others never. class participation is relative to your major, usually. all of my friends have intellectual conversations outside of class frequently. competition is relative to area of study. the most unique class i've taken is literary classics. i'm an art major, going into graphic design, and wmu is the only fine arts school in michigan. i've just recently had a professor help me with a photo shoot outside of class. wmu's academic requirements are just right; not too overwhelming, but challenging. wmu's education is geared towards both of those: learning to learn, but learning more specifically as your program progresses.

student council. i'm in the art history socity; you don't have to be an art history major, just an appreciator of art. students in the valleys leave their doors open, while other dorms, not so much. athletic events are more popular with kids who have played sports previously. guest speakers not so much, theater-probably, but my friends and i are too poor to see them. the dating scene is great, if you like douchebaggy looking guys or bimbo chicks. i met my closest friends through other friends. watching futurama with my boyfriend. homecoming week. every night of the week. important to those who are in them; everyone else either hates them or goes for the parties. homework. go to the movies, go downtown, just chill. visit the kalamazoo institute of art, go to the movies, go to the mall, etc.

What I love about WMU is the people. There are so many people that its easy to find someone to help you with your homework or to make friends with. I love the size of the school since if there is someone you can't stand, there is a high probablility that you wont see them. I live in the dorms here and I love it. There is always something going on and some of the people you meet here have the chance to be your best friend. True, there is alot of drama in the dorms but you get that everywhere you live. I spend most of my time in my dorm room. So many people complain about how crappy the dorms are but really, they aren't that bad. People are used to fully furnished, nice houses but dorms are nothing like your parents house. There are some things that you have to get used to but once you do, its a lot of fun and something that is a great experience.

Not at all. People get it into their mind that everyone is like that but in all actuality, there is a small portion of our school that it pertains to.

One is that everyone drinks. That is a complete lie. Me and some of my friends don't drink. We go out to parties, yes but we don't drink. Another is Greek life. Everyone thinks that sorority girls are huge partyers and they are sluts but thats not true. There are some like that but not all. Most of my sisters aren't like that.

Aaron

I think the best thing about western is the size of the campus. If I could change anything I would change that we are not in a big conference for sports. I spend most of my tie either at the rec or at my house studying. I think that western is somewhat of a college town but its not as big as say East Lansing. My opinion of the WMU administration is that they need to make moves to get more money to continue updating some of the buildings on campus. Most of the buildings are updated but there are still some that could use some refernishing. There isn't much school pride as compared to a bigger conference school, but i think for a school in the MAC we have a lot of school pride. The most frequent student complaints is the cost of parking passes, or the cost of tuition.

I have had presentation on LGBT issues before. I don't think any students would feel out of place. Western has a good mixture of students. Most students wear sweatshirts and blue jeans. I think all types of students interact with each other, at parties I see all different majors. The four tables would be partiers, studious students, sports nuts, and others. i find that there are kids from all types of financial backgrounds. I am not politically aware but other students are.

These stereotypes are accurate to a degree, but I also think that western has its share of studious students, who do not drink or drink very little.

Depends on the classes with professors. Some of my professors are awesome, but others don't try to get to know you, but that is partially because they are bigger lectures. My favorite class is probably y chem labs. My least favorite class is my Physics 2 class because the professor doesn't answer many questions. Students in my classes study often I would say, but that is because I'm an engineering major. I think in other majors such as business it isn't s high rate of students studying. I find that I am one of few people in class who answer questions the professor asks. This I believe is because of different personalities. I find that I do have conversations with other students about industry. The students in my classes are highly competitive, but we also work together to get homework and studying done. The only time i see my professors is sometimes at the hockey games, but some professors are going to Germany with students this summer. It think that academic requirements in some departments are just right but I feel the overall requirements are low.The education at WMU is geared toward getting a job.

Intermerals and miller movies are the most popular activities on campus. I am involved in a engineering group. We go bowling and have industry members in to talk to us about the industry. Students on my floor last year left their doors open. Hockey events are popular but the others aren't as popular. I have not used the dating scene I have a girlfriend who goes to MSU. I met my closest friends in the dorms. I am studying for a test the next day. Traditions that happen each year are the central western game, which is a huge party weekend. A lot of people party 2 or 3 times a week. Frat are pointless to me I dislike frat boys and sorority girls. Last weekend I studied and played cards. You can go to sporting events such as football basketball or hockey, or you can go out with friends. I live off campus, and don't have a job so I tend to just sty t my house and hang out.

Western is often called wastern because its looked as a party school.

Tristan

Pros - Close to 7-11, the Den, Wendy's, the Music School, very easy to find a group to be in. School is a good size. Not too big, not too small. People give me a lot of shit for going to Western, but that's because I know a lot of people that go/went to Central. I spend a lot of time either in the Bernhard Center or at my house, which is still conveniently on campus. There's a crapload of school pride. Cons - party monsters, lots of douchebaggy kids, it feels like a lot of students come here just to party, which isn't a fun environment for me.

Everyone seems to mesh and blend really well. I see everyone being friends with everyone else. I think a lot of students are from financially wealthy backgrounds, but I know at least a few that are here only on scholarships and loans. Everyone will usually stick to people that are like them, but it seems that everyone gets along well with everyone else. I don't see any racism or homophobia or anything like that.

This school needs to learn to close down more often. We've had to walk to class on days when it was -10 degrees Farenheit outside. Because the president was speaking and didn't want to reschedule. What the hell is that bullshit? I almost froze my nose off, and my eyes were sticking together when I blinked.

I'd say yes. We weren't put on Rolling Stone's Top 10 party schools because half the kids they interviewed couldn't remember going to the party the night before. We party harder than the Number One Party School.

Some professors know their students names. It just depends on the size of the class. My favorite class is Child Psychology. The teacher is really cool. It's hard to say whether or not students talk about stuff outside of class. I'm sure some of them do, but probably not a majority. At least, not anything more than homework. I think WMU is geared toward helping students find employment after their degrees are earned.

Party monsters. Everyone is a party monster. Western is called "Wastern". What does that tell you? We weren't put on Rolling Stone's Top 10 party schools because half the kids they interviewed couldn't remember going to the party the night before. We party harder than the Number One Party School.

lydie

I love the campus, but the one thing i would change is the bus route. it'd be nice to have it really planned out. I think the size of western is perfect, it's a little big college with the perks of a big and little university. people tell me i go to wastern when i tell them where i go and it's irritating. I spend most of my time on campus because i live and work in the dorms and have friends who live here with me. There is NO COLLEGE TOWN things are very widely spaced here and it is irritating and difficult to not have a car. The administration here is good. I love the psych department and they always do they're best to help me when i have questions. I think there is moderate pride-it won't be out and out but people like this school. WMU is a typical college but i love it. I think it's irritating just how spread out things are. but that's about it

I think that there is a wide range of diversity and not one student would feel more out of place than another. students who live on campus seem to wear more causal clothes that those who live off. students are all over the map interms of money and goals, people honestly just want to make friends.

sometimes-but not for the students who come here to actually get an education.

My professors know my name but honestly it's about how well you get to know them too. It is not soley they're responsibility to know you. My favorite classes are my psych classes. LOVE the psych department. I study about 10 hours a week depending on what i have to do, though i think that may be more than a lot of the students. Class participation is sometimes manditory which i think is good in some classes and irritating in others. some classes you really do have to show up to understand the material and some you don't. The students here are sometimes competitive-but i think it depends on what your field is and how far along you are in it.

that we're all drunk all the time.

Western Michigan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.