Winthrop University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Winthrop University

I am only a sophomore but I have really enjoyed my time at Winthrop. I have not met a lot of friends but the academics have been great and I love the atmosphere of the campus. I have felt at home here ever since my first tour and I know once I graduate it will be a hard thing to give up if I find a job elsewhere.

Shatara

A reallly good school! That's where my uncle graduated

Brandon

I love this school. The atmosphere of campus life and the academics are amazing. There is always a chance for suceess. If help is needed, there are many ways that a student can get the much needed assistance. Also, the members of the community come together to watch the sports teams become a success.

Hillary

Winthrop is an overall a really great and I believe that for anyone who goes here it is all about what you choose to make of this opportunity. As explained on the tour they are many ways a student can get involved and be apart of the school rather than staying in the dorm all day. Once again the choice is yours on how you want your Winthrop experience to be.

Sierra

Winthrop is overall a solid school, but it is meant for a specific experience. I chose Winthrop because the campus is small, but not small enough that it doesn't count as a university. Classes are small, professors are personable, and people want to know how you're doing. However, thought the school likes to tout diversity, there is a clear division of groups when it comes to race, sexuality, class, and politics. Things are not rainbows and butterfiles, but it has a comfortable homey atmosphere and you can easily find someone you resonate with.

Dezsha

Winthrop University is one of the greatest campuses in South Carolina. They believe in introducing students to many different cultures and arts. The academic programs will push students to excel beyond the competition. Social events on campus are normally very informative and students would be proud of their decision to enroll at the illustrious Winthrop University.

Casey

I absolutely love Winthrop. Like many others at first I was iffy about attending this institution but as you get to know Winthrop you will begin to fall for Winthrop like many others. One of the main things I love is the size of the university, no matter where I go I recognize someone. It is great! Another I love is how pretty the campus is, there is so pretty places to sit outside and do work, there is a ton of artwork around campus, and less than a mile from campus there is the school lake which is absolutely beautiful.

Kriseanna

Winthrop University is honestly a great college to go to. It is not too big not small, but is the perfect size to be entertained as well as to keep focused. The atmosphere is very relaxing. All of the faculty and staff seem to care for each students success. Winthrop also offer many services to add to each students success. I highly recommend Winthrop University to all students.

MaKayla

My overall opinion is that Winthrop University is a great school and I am proud to be a fellow Eagle. I find Winthrop to have a great sense of diversity in not only their student population but also in their clubs, organizations, and campus life activities. Staff and employees not only challenge their students to get involved in campus life but also challenge them on an academic level. Nothing is simply given to a student everyone works hard and it shows.

Briana

I love Winthrop, it is amazing especially for my major. It's strong in education and in music. The campus is a nice size, not too big or too small.

Alexis

Winthrop is a great university with a variety of majors and student life opportunities. Professors are always willing to help, and I made friends quickly. I came from a small town, so I was a bit out of my comfort zone with all of the people on campus, but I got used to the family-oriented environment so fast! Everyone knows everyone. This makes it easy to make connections, too!

Jada

Winthrop University is an excellent university. The campus is beautiful and new student friendly. It is also close to a major city that encourages the students of the university to get involved in their community. The university is also a highly regarded academic institution.

DeAunna

I love Winthrop. The atmosphere is great because everyone gets along with each other. The only thing they need to work on is the maintenance of the buildings and the quality of the food. Other than those things, Winthrop is amazing. It's easy to make friends here.

Winthrop University is a very diverse university. There are clubs and activities for everyone to participate in. The campus and staff really want their students to be involved with campus life. Winthrop also challenges there students academically. I am in the College of Education at Winthrop, and they are very well known for their Education department. The professors really challenge me to do my best and they will help me.

John

I was expecting a lot less from my local university; boy was I wrong. I'm a non-traditional student and was really happy to find a thriving political and arts culture. Students take their studies seriously without being too serious themselves. I highly recommend Winthrop as a great deal.

Ashlen

Winthrop is a very diverse school. The campus is beautiful and the professors are caring. The students are pretty nice and there are many organizations so you can be involved. There is always something to do on campus and the surrounding areas are nice.

Gweneshia

It just has a nice Home feel to it. very welcoming and inviting.

Beneshia

I love being an eagle at Winthrop! They offer plenty of resources including free tutoring and free help in the writing center, they have multiple options for eating (and the food is good!), and it's a very safe campus! It's not too big and not too small, and you get the education value of a private school in a public institution. I can't imagine studying anywhere else!

Alexandra

Winthrop University is a tight-knit, diverse campus where everyone is friendly and helpful in all sorts of ways. I was taken aback when I first visited Winthrop and saw that everyone was so nice, supportive, and helpful. Winthrop values education and its students. Professors are there for students in every capacity. You are never alone when you are at Winthrop.

Martha Grace

I really am pleased with my school. I find the atmosphere very home-like and welcoming, which is highly important to someone like me who is very close to my family. I also really appreciate the time that the professors take to really get to know me and help me through my studies. It really is a great college experience.

Abby

I absolutely adore Winthrop University and all the amazing students who attend this school. It amazes me how involved the students are and how passionate our teachers are about their students and the university as a whole. I can't imagine going anywhere else!

Anthony

I love my school. I was having a little financial difficulty with paying for my books and I got help with finding different websites where I could rent them. If it wasn't for the TRIO program I would have been lost. The friends I've made so far are great.

I thoroughly enjoy Winthrop and all of its inhabitants. The university has a great atmosphere and is always prepared and available to help struggling students. No matter it be because financial aid or over all academic struggles, the Winthrop staff are always there to help and that really makes me feel comfortable and important to the college.

Alora

Winthrop University is a very diverse environment for students with a variety of interests. If there is something you are in to, we most likely have a club for that. If not, it is an easy process to begin one. You have every opportunity to be a part of the Eagles community, no matter the major, or minor, of interest. Winthrop professors are accessible 99% of the time, and always reply to emails within the hour (except after midnight; most of them are asleep). Mentors are available to every type of student, and the campus life is overall incredible.

Cierra

I plan on attending Winthrop University in the fall. Recently, I attended an orientation session that required me to stay overnight. There is a variety of food provided everyday in the cafe, as well as additional food locations on campus. The dorm room I stayed in was plenty plain, but at least a microwave and mini-fridge were provided, as well as a desk and bed. Winthrop's campus is quite large, which means constant walking throughout the day. The professors strive to stay connected with their students, providing strong, personal relationships. Overall, Winthrop isn't just a school, it is a home.

Kris

The classes are great, and professors are always willing to help you as much as possible if you’re willing to put in the necessary work to help yourself succeed. If you're looking for a small town, classic college feel then Winthrop might be the place for you. It can get very boring on-campus, and there isn’t much to do off of campus except drive to Charlotte for those fortunate enough to have a car. From an academic standpoint, Winthrop is an alright school but if you’re someone who is looking for a diverse and stimulating environment, I wouldn't recommend it.

Airam

Winthrop is a very diverse and homey setting. Everyone, from the staff to students, is friendly and always welcoming. Winthrop makes the transition to college easy and smooth by providing plenty of opportunities for students to feel at home and make new friends, whether they’re new, transfer, or returning students. It encourages students to stay involved on campus and to socialize with others by hosting cultural events and involvement fairs. Like all schools, Winthrop does have its downside, but the pros always outweigh the cons.

Deja

I love Winthrop. I cannot imagine being at any other college in the state. The professors are helpful. they make sure every student knows that they are always available and that their office door is always open. Social life is good, but we also know that education is key. Great school, great environment, great people.

Carlos

Winthrop University is known to have one of the most diverse campuses in South Carolina, and we Eagles take pride in that. Winthrop class sizes are very personable so we, the students, feel that the professor’s attention is focused on us and that they’re there to help us. Professors are genuinely interested in student’s wellbeing and office hours are abundant. Many research opportunities are also available especially in the science field, professors allocate their time and University resources to allow for undergraduate research and projects to take place. Housing at Winthrop is also formidable but not excessively decorous. Great meal plan options have been placed attention being paid especially to diets and healthy eating. Overall Winthrop University provides a very acceptable environment that's very student oriented and student involvement in extracurriculars is very much so motivated.

alexis

Winthrop University is an amazing school when it comes to academics. Many people say that it is pricey, however, you get what you pay for. There are many things that people love about this campus. One thing that is amazing about this campus is that the professors and students are able to engage with one another due to the fact that the campus is so small. Since the campus is smaller than other campus, it give the professor and students are able to connect with one another. Another thing that most people love on this campus would be the clubs and organizations. There are many clubs on campus. However, many people join the organizations, such as sororities and fraternities. Also, the food is good.

Caleb

The University is located near Charlotte NC. This is great because it gives you plenty of options off campus to do. The campus is also great because it has a swimming pool, basketball courts, rock climbing wall, gaming area, movie theater and plenty of other things to do. The class sizes are small and the staff is great. They encourage and support students to work hard and get their degrees.

Tayler

I love Winthrop. It’s set in a very beautiful area and you feel really safe there. You have so much fun while learning and making friends. It’s trult diverse and everyone is so kindhearted and are there to help you. I absolutely love Winthrop. It is truly my dream college and I love the beauty, atmosphere, people, and everything there. It’s just a wonderful place to be especially if you like smaller class sizes. In my opinion, Winthrop is one of the best schools for educational purposes and to get out there and find out who you really are.

Zankeyah

The school lacks more diverse classes. As a foreign language major I’d expect more options for the students. Especially with the foreign students living on campus. I would love if they offered more foreign language majors so that the students are not limited to only the basics that every school in America has. To stand out Winthrop needs to have more options.

Harold

I have really enjoyed it so far and I am only a freshman and this is my first semester I plan to attend all four years here and graduate from Winthrop because it has just the right atmosphere for me with all the friendly faces and overall a great campus.

Catalina Amy

I absolutely love Winthrop University, it is everything I wanted and needed in a university. The class sizes are perfect with the larger ones having about 40 students and the smaller ones about 20 students. Everyone is more than friendly and are always willing to help out new students. The teachers make the students a priority and are willing to work with students who are struggling as long as they see an effort put into the class. The atmosphere is nice and relaxing, and the campus is the perfect size. It takes about 15 minutes max to walk from one side of the campus to the other. My overall opinion of Winthrop University is that I will always recommend this school to any incoming student and it is the best university I could have picked.

I have just completed my freshman year at Winthrop and I absolutely love this school. Winthrop is a very small school and I love that because it offers me a more personalized education in which I can get to know my fellow classmates and professors very well. I've gotten close to several of my professors and am currently volunteering with one of them over the summer.

D'Andre

My opinion on Winthrop University is that it is no doubt an amazing and beautiful college, but it will challenge any student who enrolls there both academically and spiritually, though this can be said about any college it is more so here and it will make you all the better for it, you will graduate here and go on to do great things as long as you stay dedicated and keep your goals in sight.

Jaelen

Winthrop University is a mediocre school that do certain curricular different from other colleges, which makes them unique. However, this university will not be as outgoing in trying to achieve the wide student fan base in events that should be more appreciated throughout campus.

Bradley

Winthrop University is a nice campus to attend. It was my first choice and so far my experience has been fairly good. The academics can be very difficult depending on the major and the social aspect of the campus is kind of medium. A lot of people go home for the weekend, but if you do stay you can find things to do with friends or a party.

Charity

It is perfect, it has all of the qualities that a great school needs. It has a beautiful campus, moderate class sizes, and the most important great food! The people are also very individual, you will always find someone with the same types of interests as you. I love Winthrop so much I can't wait to spend the next four years there.

Gordon

I am very much looking forward to fulfilling my undergraduate college career at Winthrop University. I will be attending WU this fall and I have very high hopes due to the students and staff that I have already come into contact with. I want to study psychology because it will help me understand people even better because I have a heart for those who are hurting in the mind. I believe my studies will prepare me to help others. At WU, I believe I can be prosperos in my education and have the experience of a lifetime.

Brianna

Winthrop University is the optimal place to acquire a degree in virtually any field desired. The environment of the school is very inclusive and constantly encourages student involvement with any project. Winthrop is known for their Education College, among several other colleges like the College of Business. Individuals who desire a career in any kind of educational field attend Winthrop University because they want to acquire the best education possible. The professors at Winthrop University care about the students' well being, academic performance, and their future in the field they are choosing. Professors are always available during office hours and often provide hours outside of their normal office hours to accommodate a student who cannot make normal office hours for whatever reason. Course classes are the appropriate amount of challenging content that allows the student to grow as an individual, Winthrop student, and in their academic field. Winthrop Univerity not only strives for optimal academics but also an optimal social experience for college students. There are over 160 clubs and organizations that students have the opportunity to be a part of. Winthrop encourages student involvement through holding several different educational conferences, such as the Lift Conference which provided a look into leadership, and organizations that are student-led such as hall councils for the dormitories. Winthrop also offers a financial aid package that fits the students to their needs. Overall, Winthrop University is a place for academic achievement, personal growth, constant acquiring of new knowledge, and a perfect social environment for first-time college students.

Jaleesa

Winthrop is a good place to be educated, but could use some improvement especially in facilities. The buildings are very old and in some cases falling apart. The professors for the most part take pride in the education of their students, and make themselves available regularly.

Tamia

I love Winthrop’s school spirit. The staff and student body is very welcoming to the campus. The campus is always kept clean including housing and classrooms. I feel there is no better place to attend than Winthrop University. I will be WU ‘23 alumni

Thurnis

The school is good if you just want an education and nothing else. Dorms are pretty terrible, I don't think they have been updated or worked on since they were built. Food at Thompson cafe is pretty terrible like I don't even bother going on the weekends, and everyone goes home on the weekends. This is the deadest campus I have ever been on.

Arleana

Winthrop is a small enough but big enough school where student can pursue their education and enjoy the campus activities. Winthrop is also a great school due to the small classroom setting you don't have to worry about not being noticed by your professor due to having over 50 student in one classroom. I would totally recommend students to Winthrop University because even though the school has a small setting you still get that great college experience.

Bobbi

Winthrop is an amazing learnomg environment for a span of majors. Your connection with your classmates and your professors are indispensable, as they comprise a community committed to success. The housing is obscenely expensive for the quality, but you spend very little time in your room anyway. The parking passes are pretty inexpensive though, and laundry is free. The party scene at Winthrop is pretty desolate unless you're involved in Greek Life. The surrounding city is void of many entertainment venues, but the college is surrounded by restaurants. Downtown Rock Hill offers aesthetic value as well. Overall, the education is worth the cost, but both housing and the meal plans are vastly too expensive- so as soon as you can I highly recommend exploring off campus options. :)

Abigail

I am happy with my choose to go to Winthrop. The classes sizes make it easier to learn and get to have a more personal relationship with the professors. The school is also a division one school which makes it higher academic school to go to. The campus is smaller and easier to walk around.

Kento

Winthrop University provides the students with the best possible experience in a very safe environment. Faculty are always available for answering questions that students may have and also teach with extreme enthusiasm and passion. Campus life is amazing with a beautiful surrounding that students love being a part of. Overall Winthrop University is an amazing school that prepares their students to succeed in the real world.

I love Winthrop University! Take it from someone who transferred to Winthrop from that big state school in Columbia; the academics at Winthrop are more rigorous, the community is tighter, the professors care, and the family that you'll gain is priceless. To break things down: Academics: It's challenging. You won't get an easy A at Winthrop, but that's not what you want if you're serious about higher ed. You want to gain knowledge and skills in your field. Academics here are tough, but the incredible professors make that challenge a worthwhile one. Athletics: We're Division 1, and field almost every sport except football (there are quite a few school our size, and bigger, without football). Men's basketball is easily our biggest sport (Go Eagles!), as we've been to the NCAA March Madness tournament quite a few times in recent years. If you're into sports, Winthrop is a great small D1 to get in on the action with. If not, hey, we all look great in Garnet and Gold! Campus: You can't really understand until you visit, but the Winthrop campus is such a serene place. It's historic, but in some ways feels timeless. It's absolutely beautiful year round. Rock Hill/Charlotte: Rock Hill is a great little city with a charming downtown, plenty of shopping and traditional suburban things to do, but is a mere 25 miles from Charlotte, NC, one of the biggest cities in the southeast. So you really get the best of both worlds. Overall, I'm so proud to wear Garnet and Gold and call myself an Eagle. The big SEC/ACC university experience can seem tempting over a smaller school, but take it from someone who has experienced both; the hype wears off fast and the corporate assembly line that undergrads experience at research universities quickly becomes old. Winthrop will become your home away from home, and I'll take that over nice football stadium any day.