Montana State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Montana State University

Marshall

My overall opinion of Montana state University is its a great school and a great area to live in if you love snow and sunshine. There is just so much to do here its every day there is something different to do and the environment and teachers are amazing here I could not see myself going anywhere else for college.

Anastasia

As a current student at Montana State University (MSU), I can guarantee that MSU will provide its students with a great education as well as fun recreational events. MSU challenges its students to work hard and get outside. The campus is very open and provides plenty of space for recreational activity. The teachers are willing to help when needed, but will only direct you in the right direction instead of giving you the answers. Overall, MSU is a spectacular school and I would suggest it to any person looking for a proper education and a fun time.

Alana

I really like it, it's beautiful there and the people are friendly and down to earth. There's a neat downtown shopping area. The students are very physically active. Skiing is a big thing in the winter and in the summer months, people often go camping or hiking.

Addie

I love it! It has an amazing campus and has great people to fill the campus atmosphere. :)

Mariah

Montana State University is a great college that has almost everything a college student could possibly want. The college has the best interest for the students and you can always find a professor or any other help if you need it. The only downside is that there are so many things to do in and around Bozeman that you can't do it all in one semester!

It's a small college, but I absolutely love it. Every one is friendly and there are plenty of opportunities on campus. Class sizes are small, which makes it easy to talk with professors and get help if you need it. If you put yourself out there, you are sure to have a great experience.

Hailey

I am very lucky to have gone to this institution. I have enjoyed every minute. The campus is gorgeous, the people I have met are wonderful, the teachers care, and it's very easy to find my way around. There are lots of on campus activities, including the free football games on the weekends! There are also plenty of formal occasions for people who like their events a bit more classy.

Shelby

Telling interested students and parents as well as current students how great Montana State is, is part of my job on campus. I am an Orientation Leader and I also work at the Admissions Office on campus, which mean I know more about the university than most of the students that attend. My favorite part of about campus in my opinion is the amazing community that surrounds the campus. Bozeman, Montana has a friendly and alive atmosphere, but still keeps that small town feel that everyone loves. There is parks, including Yellowstone national park, only 90 miles away from campus, two ski hills, both less that an hour away, and access to countless trails from just in town. While the students love to get outdoors and enjoy trying new things, school is what really comes first. MSU is a top research school, has a average GPA of 3.45, and also has a low student to faculty ratio, so professors can be more hands on and helpful to the students. There are so many clubs and activities on campus to ensure that everyone can find a place to fit in and feel comfortable. The many dorms that are offered all have a different atmosphere so each student can feel at home where ever they choose to stay. With the dorms comes the three dining halls that spit out food all day and keep people coming back because of the quality chefs. With all the great things happening on campus, there is also new buildings being built every year because of grants from alumni who loved Montana State. In 2015 a new Business building was build as well as a new dinning hall, in 2016 they broke ground for a new Engineering building, a new and improved fourth dinning hall, as well as a parking garage. When I think about things on campus that I would change it would include parking. The on campus police department sells more parking passes than there are parking spaces which leads to a sticky situation when it comes to trying to get to class in the mornings. Another thing would be the cost of tuition. Montana States tuition at first glance could be pricy, which could intimidate interested students and their parents, but MSU offers many great scholarships as well as WUE, Western Undergraduate Exchange, that can make paying for Montana State a lot easier and well worth it.

Marleigh

Montana State University is a great school with lots of activities to participate in. The classes are very engaging while there are plenty of outdoor activities to do on the weekends.

Isabella

I LOVE MONTANA STATE ! Deciding to further my education at Montana State was one of the best decision I have made in years ! I love meeting new people and the classes are amazing ! There are so many great oportunities and resources both on and off campus. I encourage everyone to look into MSU, it is an amazing place to be.

Cheyenne

The School of Art here at MSU has some incredible professors, intimate class sizes, and plenty of opportunity for creative growth. Core classes have allowed me to explore other interests outside my major. Clubs and events on campus let me meet new people and take a break from class. Sports game are usually a ton of fun to attend. I have lived in the quiet, all-female Hapner dorm and the more lively, co-ed North Hedges. Both were pretty nice places to call my temporary home. I love living in Bozeman, it's a great place for people who enjoy the outdoors and a small town feel. Montana State University is an awesome school, and I'm very glad I chose to go here.

Kendra

Montana State University is a fantastic college, from it's academic opportunities to extracurricular activities. The students and professors here are all very caring and kind and there is always something fun to be doing or an interesting and educational lecture to go listen to!

Ren

Over all a good school. I think the decision makers are spending too much time trying to grow the enrollment and sports are heavily favored over academics.

Liam

It is a great culture to attain a higher education allowing for a lot of personal as well as academic growth. I fell into Greek life on my campus as was pleasantly surprised at just how impactful it can be on my professional life and it is very good impact.

Mackenzie

I absolutely love Montana State University! It's such a great place to live and go to school. I have so many resources available for me and I don't have to worry about not understanding material because there are so many people who are willing to help me with my homework. Montana State is a 10/10 and I would recommend it to anyone who loves education, outdoor activities, volunteering, and a multitude of other interests.

Ruth

It's the college of my hometown, and I feel at home here at MSU. My husband and I both attend(ed) this school, and our school spirit is phenomenal! I like to go to the games in the fall, and like to hang out at the American Indian Center to finish up homework. It's a great school!

Abigail

Being at Montana State University I have seen that the main focus is a healthy balance between academics and the outdoors. The university values its overall prestige and works every year towards offering the newest and best resources for its students.

Layton

Great location. Good teachers. Lots of snow.

Karl

I love MSU and all it has to offer. It is affordable, but it is so much more than that. The students, faculty, and staff excel in everything they do. MSU is quickly becoming one of the best public universities in the region and it is rapidly growing.

Bray

I am interested in attending this school, the campus is gorgeous. I like attending the games on campus because the students have so much school spirit which is so important to have when attending any school. The teachers seem very helpful, and I heard the nursing program is exceptional.

Jordyn

LOVE IT! Glad I get to attend. most people are friendly and will help you out if you need directions some place. Professors are prompt to email you back, and always let you know if their office hours change at any point. Dorms are excellent to live in and the food is top notch.

Ethan

Out of the several colleges that are in Montana, MSU is one of the most highly regarded, both by me and many of my friends. It definitely has its flaws, and is very focused on certain areas of study but that's good if that's what you want to study. MSU does a good job overall of making sure they do their best to give people what they paid for.

Jamie

Montana State University is overall a wonderful school. I have learned so much and met so many knew people from around the world. I would not go anywhere else if I had a chance to go back before picking a college. There are plenty of on campus activities to partake in and also plenty to do in and around Bozeman. Hiking, biking, skiing, snowboarding, you name it Bozeman probably has it.

Jamie

Victoria

I personally love Montana State University. There are so many different clubs and activities, everyone could find something they enjoy. There are also many different football and basketball games that students can attend for no extra cost. While the campus isn't small, it also isn't huge. Everything on campus is walking distance and there are many off campus services that are also within walking distance. Montana State University is honestly just an amazing university all together.

Annie

It is a great school, in an even greater location. Bozeman is the ideal place for recreational sports. I have had some great teachers and some not so great, but overall it is pretty good. The buildings are nice, and they have made a lot of upgrades to campus recently. I had a horrible dorm experience, but love my apartment now. It is a big enough campus that you might have to be intentional about meeting new people. Overall I am very happy here.

Hunter

I love Montana State and how it’s growing and improving in areas needed. Montana state will be doing great things in the next couple years and will become even greater than it already is. When compared to University of Montana, MSU beats them in acedmeics, outdoor activities, and football. Go cats!!

I haven't been challenged too much during this first semester academically, but I am sure that will change in the coming semesters. The music department is extremely underfunded but all the professors do very well with what they have. Everyone here is really welcoming.

Mary

Although there are some opportunities provided for fun on the weekends and at night, we often find ourselves bored. Miller is definitely the best dining hall, but even that gets old after a while. Some housing is far nicer than others. Campus is nice, but most everything else in Bozeman requires a car.

Clarissa

Very good science school. Diverse living options on campus as well as off campus. Professors are often available and understanding. They care making learning fun. People are generally nice and friendly. They care about important things, making conversations fun and educational.

Piper

Montana State University hosts a ton of engaging events on and off campus. At least once a day I recieve an email about something that is happing on campus this week. None of it is madatory which makes your schedule a heck of a lot easier! This year, 2018, is MSU's 125th birthday and there are especially a lot of events contributing to the celebration of that. Although I tell people where I am going and I usually stick with at least one other person is because I am a precausious person, but if I needed to walk around campus alone I feel no threat. the MSU police department is always around campus keeping the security of students and staff. I love Bozeman and the oppurtunities it bring to not only college students but to other people as well, a definite tourist spot.

Carlee

I absolutely ADORE Montana State University. Class sizes are always reasonable, even lower level lectures aren't so huge, at least in the liberal arts. Professors are always accessible and always willing to help. They're in it to help you improve. Student leadership on campus is fantastic and there is always a variety of opportunities to get involved according to your interests. As for Bozeman, I have found my home here. Everyone around town is so pleasant and kind. There is always something to do! The community is very supportive of the university. Overall, it is a great place to be.

Mikal

Montana State University strives to create a local, small-town feel for its ever-growing student body. There are a significant number of events and interesting places, both on and off-campus, that make it almost impossible to be bored. Enrollment has grown almost too quickly for the facilities, but I feel that they are working as fast as they can to provide educational necessities to all students. The professors are well-educated and skilled at providing significant opportunities for academic growth.

Stori

Montana State University has an extensive engineering and pre-med community. Although I'm not in either, I know many people who are. The dean of the Honors college really wants to support her students and works hard to do so. Although classes do not seem extremely challenging, professors still want their students to do well and Honors classes are definitely a step up. The Rocky Mountains surround campus, so nature-oriented activities are always a good distraction from stress. Also, the student body is an accepting, friendly group.

Colleen

My experience at Montana State University so far has been absolutely amazing. To begin, on an educational level, Montana State University has offered me some of the best professors and resources I have ever received. All of the professors want the best for their students and, in my experience, have been willing to help out whenever possible. In addition to this, many tutoring resources are available for students to take advantage of, several of these are free of any cost, which is great for university students. Next, the students who go to Montana State University are some of the nicest people I have ever had the privilege to meet. I've met some lifetime friends while attending Montana State University, and I am extremely grateful. Lastly, the campus of Montana State University is safe, comforting, and welcoming. In my opinion, these three traits are something that all college campuses should prioritize. I've found my home at Montana State University, and I can't imagine having gone anywhere else to further my education.

Jaiden

Five years ago, if I had been told I would be going to college in Bozeman, Montana I would have called you crazy. As an aspiring filmmaker, I would not have thought that Montana State University would be the university for me; surprisingly, MSU has a lot to offer to film students such as myself, and students in other disciplines. MSU is highly accredited for teaching future nurses, engineers, and agricultural workers. With such a wide variety of areas of study it is easy for students to connect with people outside of their own major. This allows for collaboration between disciplines in order to create amazing results. Our Natural Science and Film programs have worked together to develop the Master of Fine Arts program for Science and Natural History filmmaking--the only program of its kind in the world! This unique program brings together students of film, and of science to create compelling studies and documentaries. Even better, undergraduate students have access to help from grad students in the MFA program, allowing undergrads to further their education and build connections before earning their BA. This is only one example of the innovative programs that MSU has developed, and what I have experience studying here. Not only do MSU’s academics speak for themselves, but my experience with MSU’s ResLife has demonstrated a strong commitment to community building. As a Resident Advisor, I have worked hard to build a floor, and hall community that is engaged in more than academics alone. ResLife works hard to engage students out of a classroom setting. As an RA, I work my hardest to connect with students on a personal level in order to make them feel hear, and feel like they have a place in the community. Because all Freshman live on campus their first year, I find it important to build a community that residents feel excited to come home to. The Residents Halls also have Living Learning Communities, which are floors where likeminded people live together, allowing for easier collaboration, and development of community during their Freshman year. This allows students to find their interest, and people who have similar interests also. By creating well knit communities, my role as an RA has allowed my to engage my residents in the Bozeman community. This past month, my floor raised $150 for the Gallatin Valley Food Bank. Montana State’s ResLife does an excellent job of giving back to the community and give the Bobcats a positive reputation. Personally, this is part of why I believe MSU is an amazing university.

madison

I wouldn't pick any other place to go to school. The college isn't self is beautiful. The building are little spread apart but perfect to get some fresh air between classes. Everyone is so friendly and nice. Also the location is key! Breath taking views of the mountains and only a short drive to some of the best mountains to ski.

Daniel

I believe MSU is a great university, but am not fond of the professors when they make a class notoriously more difficult than majority of the same courses around the nation. Sometimes I can understand and find pride in that statistic, but then there are core classes that have that fact backing them, and when they aren’t your major classes, it’s frankly pointless.

Matalin

I really appreciate the academics and overall feel of Montana State University. I love being on campus and the places around campus are incredible. Class sizes are perfect and the faculty is very helpful and incredibly knowledgeable. Additionally, the Honors College is amazing. The only thing I don't quite like about Montana State University is that there are not a whole lot of scholarship opportunities. However, overall it is a fantastic school.

Madalynne

The campus and people there are amazing. Everyone is incredibly accepting and the professors love having conversations with you. There is some partying on the weekends but it is incredibly easy to avoid that if you have no interest in it. The downtown area of Bozeman is within walking distance of the campus and it is absolutely amazing. There are tons of cute shops and eateries that are pretty affordable and there is an amazing library waiting to be explored there. There is also a lovely trail from the library back to campus that you can take that really lets you enjoy some nature before you get back to class. The dining halls are amazing and they always have good food. I honestly think they spoil us sometimes since they have some nights where they pull out huge hunks of prime rib to cut and serve you. The winters last most of the time you are there, but they are beautiful in their own ways. If you come here, bring lots of warm clothes and be prepared for lots of winter activities. All in all this place is absolutely beautiful and a great place to learn.

Katie

I think MSU has a lot to offer. There are so many different kinds of people that attend and that are active on campus. The school regularly offers programs and events - it's up to you to partake! The academic programs seem to get people jobs, so they must be doing something right.

Alyssa

It is a good university for STEM majors, specifically engineering. For other majors, such as the humanities, options are limited and the programs are not as strong. Housing is decent for honors and upperclassmen but for regular freshman the options are limited.

Good school for the price and in a beautiful location if you love the outdoors. Bozeman is small but has a very active and fun culture. Lots of hiking and skiing nearby. Great teachers for such a small university because many people work there because they like the location, rather than for lots of money. Poor reciprocity for students transferring to MSU, but otherwise a good school.

Siobhan

This is a good school, especially if you're an engineering student. Otherwise here are not enough teachers for classes you may need. There is not room for students now since enrollment has exceeded its past. The people are not as welcoming as hoped. Overall, it's an okay institution but I would have gone elsewhere if I did it over again.

Dexter

Montana State University is an excellent facility. There is a high tolerance for diversity on our campus and there is lots of diversity of backgrounds and opinions. The faculty of Montana State is very helpful and kind. I am receiving a quality education and know I am being prepared for my graduate program very well. I highly recommend Montana State.

Zachary

It is a medium-sized campus with lots of extracurricular activities to partake in, many clubs to join, and multitudes of outdoors experiences to have. There are beautiful mountains outside every classroom window. The staff is great and the academic​ program is achievable for anyone who puts their mind to it. MSU is a great choice for anyone with an interest in any degree!

David

I have enjoyed Montana State University quite a bit. Its location is extremely convenient, being right next to Bozeman, but does not feel overcrowded like a city, more like a town. The facilities are nice and have been well maintained for the time that I have been here. The resident halls are nice, there is a good amount of floor and hall events, and they make sure and have good equipment for our different activity rooms. I was also impressed by the food, I was not expecting it to be nearly as good or have nearly as much variety as it does and so I am quite pleased with that. Overal, Montana State University has proven to be a great choice for my college years.

Jared

I absolutely loved my time at MSU. The culture is great. The professors and students are all wonderful and compassionate.

Erin

While not all departments are equal, MSU is strong in most of the sciences. Since that is what I majored in, I was very satisfied with MSU. It is located in beautiful Bozeman, MT, so there were plenty of outdoor activities to participate in all year long.

Jordan

I love Montana State University. The campus is gorgeous! The professors are amazing and very caring towards their students. I think that Montana State University is by far the best campus in Montana. There is so much to do around campus, and everyone is super friendly. It's an amazing community to be a part of.